How many guns do you need to keep your family fed? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 09-28-2019, 09:57 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,437 Times in 545 Posts

Advertise Here

The 3rd paragraph of the OP mentions location and I think that is an important point. My Grandfather and his contemporaries kept their families fed through the Depression with a .22, a shotgun and a cane pole. Throw in the odd snare, trap and net and they seemed to do fairly well.
I have my Grand's single shot Stevens .22 rifle and my Dad's 12 gauge. I have others and want more but do I need them to 'keep my family fed', probably not.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 10:13 AM
Nationalist, Combat Vet

Thanked 46,306 Times in 9,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
I could have hunted and killed every animal I have ever taken with three guns.

A shotgun in 20 gauge. Take out wing shooting and a 410 would work.
A .22 rifle. Prefer bolt action.
A 30-30 lever action.
Add a pump air rifle.

An AR is never on my radar.

This thread wasn't about SD but any of these would work for SD purposes except for the air rifle.
Your first name wouldn’t happen to be Elmer, would it?
Old 09-28-2019, 11:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,017 Posts

There was a local dog hunter who used a 22 lr for bear and anything else his dogs treed. He used a 5mm Sheridan to harvest quail and squirrel for dinner. He would stay in the woods for weeks. I have no doubt that my 22 pcp pellet gun would do a fine job on quail and squirrel. One of my hunting buddies killed wild turkey in my driveway last year with a pcp pellet gun. I just ordered 5000 pellets for it. I'm set
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2019, 11:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,005 Times in 699 Posts

Snares and traps can get most game east of the Mississippi. Wire snares can even catch deer or hogs. Why waste ammo to get meat. Also someone above said, fishing rods, trot lines, fish traps of various sizes.

As for birds they too can be caught in traps and with foot snares.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dixie_Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,195 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Mjolnir View Post
The 3rd paragraph of the OP mentions location and I think that is an important point. My Grandfather and his contemporaries kept their families fed through the Depression with a .22, a shotgun and a cane pole. Throw in the odd snare, trap and net and they seemed to do fairly well.
I have my Grand's single shot Stevens .22 rifle and my Dad's 12 gauge. I have others and want more but do I need them to 'keep my family fed', probably not.
Unfortunately this is not the 1930s . Security is not near as fun to discuss as hunting is, but I believe that it has more precedent going into 2020 compared to the 1930s.

Although I am 100% for using traps, snares, nets..etc....and have taught all my clan how to build them from scratch/ more important....how/ where to best utilize them......They do make an excellent means for someone else to either steal what's trapped for themselves or worst case......set an ambush and wait for the " trapper " to return. Even city slicker types with very little field craft could achieve this imo. ( Having survived a few ambushes before while deployed, I would not recommend a single shot anything for breaking contact)

FWIW. .......I personally don't dwell on it all that much, but do prepare for that very plausible possibility and refuse to live in denial of it as well. ( Have always found other humans and/ or the fact that someone has recently been thru areas that are very remote......so I am not one to claim that " It could never happen to me".) Too each his own however.

As with hunting, trapping is simply one method of gathering food. Just as raising livestock is in my case. Spend a lifetime perfecting all 3, teach them to the next generation, and your odds increase.

Just as with the various types of traps/ snares/ nets/ trot lines/ jug lines/ etc..... we also work on and perfect different methods of hunting.... ( stalk/ ambush/ long distance).........and raise multiple species of livestock.... (Chicken, duck, turkey, / rabbit, goat, cattle/ catfish out of multiple locations)

Also note that trapping works while one is hunting at the same time. ( Another reason why folks should know how to hunt with firearms.)

Add into it with home grown vegies, nuts, fruits, and why we don't shop for groceries very much any longer. This also includes growing food for the livestock and a recipe for turning feral pig into catfish food.

Last but not least........A critter won't know the difference if it is hit with a 150gr lead pill launched from a 308 case thru a single shot rifle or a semiauto rifle....just as a single shot 12 ga vs a semiauto 12ga. I find it much more efficient to use a semiauto for hunting via follow on shots , and multiple targets.

11B
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Your first name wouldn’t happen to be Elmer, would it?
No its not you Wascal Wabbit.

But I have used all of those guns to kill game and know they will work. And I have killed the most game with a couple of pump pellet guns in 20 and 22 caliber. And you can hunt with them and no one knows you are hunting. But you can do about the same thing with some of the better quiet 22 ammo thats now being made. Look at some of the CCI 45gr ammo that is supposed to give you the effect of shooting with a suppressed rifle without the suppressor.

I know a lot of folks like their ARs and use them for everything, or at least say they do and I like mine but to me its just a toy. If I am after deer or other larger game animal I like a more powerful round. Its hard to beat a 30-06 or something in that range and a reloading kit to go along with it.

What you hunt with is not nearly as important as knowing how to hunt in the first place. That and having an area that has a game population.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 03:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,618 Times in 3,748 Posts

Once one gets beyond having thirty guns or so it becomes a moot point...you'll have what ever you need and then some. If you get down to the bare bones of the matter, I've always seen it as being five guns to (mostly) cover the bases, a shotgun your choice of gauge, a center fire pistol/revolver and rifle, again your choice of caliber, lastly a 22LR pistol and rifle or air rifle pistol if you prefer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,720 Times in 9,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Unfortunately this is not the 1930s . Security is not near as fun to discuss as hunting is, but I believe that it has more precedent going into 2020 compared to the 1930s.

Although I am 100% for using traps, snares, nets..etc....and have taught all my clan how to build them from scratch/ more important....how/ where to best utilize them......They do make an excellent means for someone else to either steal what's trapped for themselves or worst case......set an ambush and wait for the " trapper " to return. Even city slicker types with very little field craft could achieve this imo. ( Having survived a few ambushes before while deployed, I would not recommend a single shot anything for breaking contact)

FWIW. .......I personally don't dwell on it all that much, but do prepare for that very plausible possibility and refuse to live in denial of it as well. ( Have always found other humans and/ or the fact that someone has recently been thru areas that are very remote......so I am not one to claim that " It could never happen to me".) Too each his own however.

As with hunting, trapping is simply one method of gathering food. Just as raising livestock is in my case. Spend a lifetime perfecting all 3, teach them to the next generation, and your odds increase.

Just as with the various types of traps/ snares/ nets/ trot lines/ jug lines/ etc..... we also work on and perfect different methods of hunting.... ( stalk/ ambush/ long distance).........and raise multiple species of livestock.... (Chicken, duck, turkey, / rabbit, goat, cattle/ catfish out of multiple locations)

Also note that trapping works while one is hunting at the same time. ( Another reason why folks should know how to hunt with firearms.)

Add into it with home grown vegies, nuts, fruits, and why we don't shop for groceries very much any longer.

Last but not least........A critter won't know the difference if it is hit with a 150gr lead pill launched from a 308 case thru a single shot rifle or a semiauto rifle....just as a single shot 12 ga vs a semiauto 12ga. I find it much more efficient to use a semiauto for hunting via follow on shots , and multiple targets.

11B
I learned to trap fur in the late 1960s. While there was no one trying to ambush me back then, I deffinitely had to deal with trespassers and trap thieves. Still, I consider my traps and fishing gear a lot more reliable method for making meat than hunting.

But your coment highlights the big change to society since the 60s. In todays world, the woods are full of drugies who dont much care who gets hurt. In a post SHTF world, these folks will figure they are entitled to steal your stuff. So Instead of my bolt action 270, I plan to carry a semi auto carbine everywhere.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 04:48 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,659 Times in 629 Posts

Here in PA, in order to feed a family, you would only NEED one firearm. A 12 or 20 ga. shotgun or a Savage Model 24 with a 12 or 20 ga. lower barrel and .22 caliber top barrel would suffice for the task. Using the proper barrel/choketube/ ammo combo will allow you to take any game animal or game bird here in our Commonwealth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigg777 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 06:46 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
I feel a good 22 revolver for those not shooting suppressed makes sense. You can fire almost any ammo through a 22lr revolver. And you can get 10 shots.
I will definitely be picking up a Ruger Wrangler in the near future. Love shooting revolvers and the price makes it hard not to buy one.

Also want to put the SnW Victory 22lr stainless steel pistol with threaded bbl up against the Ruger 22 45 LITE. ( A possible replacement if proves to be the better hand gun for small game hunting.) I am starting to like the Victory a bit better overall. Grip design, iron sights, excellent trigger and additional wieght make it a great small game hunter.

Worse case, it is very easy to operate/ use with my weak hand only....in the event that my strong hand becomes injured. 10rd mags are also a bit easier to deal with vs individual 22lr rounds in cold/ wet weather.

22LR rifle sees more use dealing with small pests around the farm/ gardens, and as a low cost solution to high volume " training".

If I had to minimize the list down from M14S, 22 45 LITE, and TCR22.......the TCR would be the first to go bye bye. ..followed by the handgun.

11B
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 06:56 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I learned to trap fur in the late 1960s. While there was no one trying to ambush me back then, I deffinitely had to deal with trespassers and trap thieves. Still, I consider my traps and fishing gear a lot more reliable method for making meat than hunting.

But your coment highlights the big change to society since the 60s. In todays world, the woods are full of drugies who dont much care who gets hurt. In a post SHTF world, these folks will figure they are entitled to steal your stuff. So Instead of my bolt action 270, I plan to carry a semi auto carbine everywhere.
Agreed on all counts, although our most reliable means of obtaining meat is by raising livestock.

We have similar trespassing issues here, only add illegal immigrants to the list.Not only missing traps but missing cattle too boot. Have caught a few red handed and those that were caught were all armed btw.

In short. .....I won't be without a semiauto hunting rifle nowadays. ( Easier to manage 1 rifle/ one CF cartridge vs 2 rifles or multiple " uppers" in the field.)

A few firearms I have that are more dedicated to security in pic below. ( The Ruger LCP is always with me no matter if Im hunting or not. Security is its sole task. Have plenty of Rossi 38spl revolvers in cache program. AK pistol has seen some use as a hunting tool, but its actual role = PDW/ HD.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190510_162250.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	292188   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190510_162231.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	292190  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 07:28 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,497 Times in 5,575 Posts

I'm not going to ask but you have a lot of room to dig holes if need be.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 07:34 PM
Survivor

Plenty of room to dig holes around here along with a backhoe to dig them with.......if need be.

11B
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 07:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,017 Posts

I have a 24V in 30-30 over 20. I hunted with it for years. I load cast projectiles and jacketed. I have shot everything from quail to deer. My brother in law shot a bear with his. Of course he is an idiot and his is 222 over 20. but he got the bear, I didn't. 30-30 with cast projectiles is rather quiet from the savage. that rifle has put meat on the table many times
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 07:38 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 12,158 Times in 5,165 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

(1) Winchester 94 7-30 waters

(2) Winchester 9422

(3) Winchester 101 12ga.

(4) Jc Higgins model 88 .22lr

Paired down to the bare minimum for rabbit, quail, chuker, antelope and mule deer.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:45 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,497 Times in 5,575 Posts

I hunted for years with the shotgun when I was younger. Upland game over the dogs and deer with slugs ( shotguns only for deer at that time), but I'm sure most of what I fed the family was from the garden.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 08:25 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,720 Times in 9,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseman View Post
I'm not going to ask but you have a lot of room to dig holes if need be.
Hate to admit this, but Im retired and loosing some of my starch. I dont think I can dig graves in the middle of the night anymore.
So I keep a grave open for unexpected company.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 12:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,430 Times in 2,909 Posts

Quote:
.......And not just the freezers. We also home can our own meats and make jerky. ( Also raise livestock such as chicken, duck, turkey, rabbit, goat, cattle, and catfish. )

Here is an option for your 308 carbine idea....

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/remi...700859224.html

Threaded muzzle for your choice in muzzle brake.

........ And similar to you, I have not used a shotgun 4 hunting in years now. The M1 121 shotgun in below pic is a fun gun nowadays, and it sees use as a skeet blaster. The rifle next to it has seen use as a hunting stick via over a dozen different states . It has simply worked for everything from bunny's to bear and muskcrat to moose. ( Its " other" spl niche = anti UAV)
11B
Nice, and close to what I used to have, a 660 in .308. With the proper scope mount, and a receiver sight on the back, there was little that it couldn't do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 12:58 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,189 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
I feel a good 22 revolver for those not shooting suppressed makes sense. You can fire almost any ammo through a 22lr revolver. And you can get 10 shots.
I will definitely be picking up a Ruger Wrangler in the near future. Love shooting revolvers and the price makes it hard not to buy one.

Also want to put the SnW Victory 22lr stainless steel pistol with threaded bbl up against the Ruger 22 45 LITE. ( A possible replacement if proves to be the better hand gun for small game hunting.) I am starting to like the Victory a bit better overall. Grip design, iron sights, excellent trigger and additional wieght make it a great small game hunter.

Worse case, it is very easy to operate/ use with my weak hand only....in the event that my strong hand becomes injured. 10rd mags are also a bit easier to deal with vs individual 22lr rounds in cold/ wet weather.

22LR rifle sees more use dealing with small pests around the farm/ gardens, and as a low cost solution to high volume " training".

If I had to minimize the list down from M14S, 22 45 LITE, and TCR22.......the TCR would be the first to go bye bye. ..followed by the handgun.

11B
For 200 bucks the wrangler is on my list too. Fun dependable gun for little cash.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 01:10 AM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 2,204 Times in 915 Posts

Dont need a gun for food, stiff piece of wire will hook a chicken.

Stalking the elusive tomato is entirely different
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post: