How many guns do you need to keep your family fed? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 09-27-2019, 03:40 PM
Pusher of brooms

Default How many guns do you need to keep your family fed?

Advertise Here

No this isn't a "you only need" thread.

A couple of us got to talking the other day.
And we eventually got to talking about hunting, here, over there and where each of us grew up.

We eventually got to how many guns a person needs, and then started with how many a person needs to keep the family fed.

I noticed a pattern that showed up, and it was interesting.
For this group of middle age guys, and one 27yo youngster, because of our location, everyone of us depends on a middle caliber rifle for meat hunting; deer, antelope and elk.

What started to stand out though was the use of AR's of various kinds and calibers by all but two of us for the deer and antelope more often than not.
The two who don't use the AR, the oldest of the group switches between an M1A (hogs) and a .30-30 carbine for everything else.
The youngster only uses the AR for work and home defense, carrying a .45-70 and dreaming of building a heavy magnum rifle.

What really stood out was that those who meat hunted, for the family food, were the ones using the AR's for the majority of the animals if not the bulk of the weight. And the old guy (51) is building an AR for hogs to replace the .30-30.

A lot of the reasons given were weight, ease of use, they already had the gun sighted in, the kids and wife can use the same gun, adaptability and more.
Most of the AR's are .223, but a .300 BO and 6.8 are in the mix.
And several of us are considering changing to the 6.5/6.8 for hunting.

But as we went through our lists, comparing stories, one of the things that became almost painfully obvious was that those who had lived through the '80's all had a good .22 rifle on their list. Which was everyone but the youngster.
He didn't see the need.

The rest of us had kept the stew pots full and the freezers from going empty with our .22's. Exactly what ended up on the dinner plates may not have been legal, but it kept everyone going.

The funny thing, not a one chose a shotgun as a must have for food. Defense, sport hunting, yes. But never as a primary choice.

The other thing that was notified was that those that had grown up "broke" all had a .22 pistol on their list. Using them on trap lines, out of vehicle windows nobody having said it was illegal to get your rabbits that way, as well as other uses.
Those who had more money back then, didn't have quite the need for the pistol.
FYI, the Ruger MkI and MkII were the undisputed choice back then.

It was very interesting to see how so many of us had come to the same choices despite different areas where we grew up and now reside. The informal poll as such included guys living in Florida, Texas, Colorado, Missouri and Wyoming.

The short version of all this?
For this group of people, we all basically feel that you need these meat guns:
A good .22 rifle (90%)
An AR (90%)
A good hunting rifle. (100%)
A .22 pistol (40%)

The shotgun got honorable mention but wasn't a primary tool for anyone.
Even from those living in or having grown up in shotgun country.

How about your areas?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Late2Prep For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 03:47 PM
Old Noob

Thanked 9,881 Times in 4,048 Posts

I could give a flippant answer "Zero", because I don't feed my family guns, but that would be rude, so I won't.

Wait....... Sorry!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AlgoRhythms For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 03:51 PM
Prepared

A 12g hunts everything that can be hunted in my area. My 270 WIN makes a lot of that easier, though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vodka Wizard For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 03:54 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,921 Times in 1,717 Posts

In our family the battery looks like a 1963 time capsule because it is.
Basics were determined during the Cuban Missile Crisis and still work for us:

One scoped .22 rifle with high capacity tube magazine which will shoot either shots, longs or long rifles, no magazine to lose. Reliable and holds alot of rounds. Doesn't waste ammo in spray-fire like an autoloader.

One 6" barrelled 6".22 target pistol with five mags.

One 12-ga. pump gun

One 12-ga. break-open double or single-shot

One .30-'06 bolt gun with scope

One M1 Garand

Two M1 carbines

One Ruger .30 carbine blackhawk

One .357 lever rifle

One .44 Mag lever rifle

One .44 Mag revolver

A .38, .44, .45 ACP or .357 revolver for each adult in the family.

One auto pistol each in .45 ACP and 9mm with extra mags to exploit common ammo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,386 Times in 1,671 Posts

How many guns do you need to keep your family fed?

What the hell does NEED have to do with it. I want it, I can afford it, I purchase it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 04:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,669 Times in 2,009 Posts

A friend always said a family needed a total of 7 firearms. If we are talking food, a good bolt action 22 would be first on my list, followed by a shotgun. I would give a lot of consideration to a bolt action 357 and a revolver in the same round.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 08:01 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

I could have hunted and killed every animal I have ever taken with three guns.

A shotgun in 20 gauge. Take out wing shooting and a 410 would work.
A .22 rifle. Prefer bolt action.
A 30-30 lever action.
Add a pump air rifle.

An AR is never on my radar.

This thread wasn't about SD but any of these would work for SD purposes except for the air rifle.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 08:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,195 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late2Prep View Post

And we eventually got to talking about hunting, here, over there and where each of us grew up.

We eventually got to how many guns a person needs, and then started with how many a person needs to keep the family fed.

For this group of middle age guys, and one 27yo youngster, because of our location, everyone of us depends on a middle caliber rifle for meat hunting; deer, antelope and elk.

What started to stand out though was the use of AR's of various kinds and calibers by all but two of us for the deer and antelope more often than not.
The two who don't use the AR, the oldest of the group switches between an M1A (hogs) and a .30-30 carbine for everything else.
The youngster only uses the AR for work and home defense, carrying a .45-70 and dreaming of building a heavy magnum rifle.

What really stood out was that those who meat hunted, for the family food, were the ones using the AR's for the majority of the animals if not the bulk of the weight. And the old guy (51) is building an AR for hogs to replace the .30-30.

A lot of the reasons given were weight, ease of use, they already had the gun sighted in, the kids and wife can use the same gun, adaptability and more.

But as we went through our lists, comparing stories, one of the things that became almost painfully obvious was that those who had lived through the '80's all had a good .22 rifle on their list. Which was everyone but the youngster.
He didn't see the need.

The rest of us had kept the stew pots full and the freezers from going empty with our .22's. Exactly what ended up on the dinner plates may not have been legal, but it kept everyone going.

The funny thing, not a one chose a shotgun as a must have for food. Defense, sport hunting, yes. But never as a primary choice.

The other thing that was notified was that those that had grown up "broke" all had a .22 pistol on their list. Using them on trap lines, out of vehicle windows nobody having said it was illegal to get your rabbits that way, as well as other uses.

It was very interesting to see how so many of us had come to the same choices despite different areas where we grew up and now reside. The informal poll as such included guys living in Florida, Texas, Colorado, Missouri and Wyoming.

A good .22 rifle (90%)
An AR (90%)
A .22 pistol (40%)

How about your areas?
We haven't needed to buy meat from any store or person in well over 20 years now, and part of this has been attributed to hunting. Started out with several rifles and shotguns with the idea that they were all a necessity with each having a niche type area to cover. ( Security included) All of the centerfire rifles and shotguns ended up being replaced with 1 type of rifle.

Fwiw...... Mine include a rifle that is not only a good hunting rifle, but an excellent rifle utilized for security all in one. Its other primary use is feral hog eradication ( TX) , as well as culling deer out of a few states.

The areas ( states) I have put to the test nclude all the states mentioned in your opening thread, plus AR, AK, KS, NV, and MT to name a few more.

Note: Started really getting on board with this idea back in the mid 90s and by 2003, built the perfect rifle for this endevor.

As for rimfire, it was all Ruger here using the 1022 and MkII pistol for decades. ( Back in the 70s and 80s.)
A few years ago, I decided that I wanted a lightweight suppressed handgun in 22lr to have with me while toting the CF rifle along.
Its now a Ruger 22 45 LITE with suppressor.

22lr rifle is now a TCR 22 . ( With and without suppressor.)

Have no use for shotguns or AR 15 types. ( That , and 12ga or 223 does not met my requirements concerning optimum effective range.)

Pics below :
M14S
TCR22
22 45 LITE

One pic shows 3 different factory loads of 308 I have used thru the M14S.
168gr TTSX has taken every critter in NA thru that 18.5 inch bbl.
185 gr subsonic has its place namely for night hunting hogs in certain areas where noise would cause complaints.
That 150gr load below is my number 1 load for culling deer when it's vital that that they need to be put down at impact.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190727_134128.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	292140   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd TCR 22.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	292144   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180130_132539.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	292146  
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 08:46 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,109 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late2Prep View Post

He didn't see the need.

A good .22 rifle (90%)
An AR (90%)
A .22 pistol (40%)

How about your areas?
We haven't needed to but meat in well over 20 years now, and part of this has been attributed to hunting. Started out with several rifles and shotguns with the idea that they were all a necessity with each having a niche type area to cover. ( Security included) All of the centerfire rifles and shotguns ended up being replaced with 1 type of rifle.

Fwiw...... Mine include a rifle that is not only a good hunting rifle, but an excellent rifle utilized for security all in one.

The areas ( states) I have put to the test nclude all the states mentioned in your opening thread, plus AR, AK, KS, NV, and MT to name a few more.

Note: Started really getting on board with this idea back in the mid 90s and by 2003, built the perfect rifle for this endevor.

As for rimfire, it was all Ruger here using the 1022 and MkII pistol for decades. ( Back in the 70s and 80s.)
A few years ago, I decided that I wanted a lightweight suppressed handgun in 22lr to have with me while toting the CF rifle along.
Its now a Ruger 22 45 LITE with suppressor.

22lr rifle is now a TCR 22 . ( With and without suppressor.)

Have no use for shotguns or AR types.

Pics below :
M14S
TCR22
22 45 LITE
11B
I feel a good 22 revolver for those not shooting suppressed makes sense. You can fire almost any ammo through a 22lr revolver. And you can get 10 shots.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 08:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,703 Posts

We've all gotten too soft or at least too specialized. My Grand Daddy did it all with a 20 gauge Model 12 in the depression.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 10:18 PM
Crazy

Thanked 10,302 Times in 3,355 Posts

Need? Probably just one cape gun. I own 3. 12g/30-06, 12g/308, and a 20/223. I had a 22lr adapter for the 223 one.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 10:55 PM
Prepared

If there were no laws governing it?

One, a 22LR with cases of ammo stacked to the ceiling.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Armtx77 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 11:02 PM
Úlfhéðnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
We've all gotten too soft or at least too specialized. My Grand Daddy did it all with a 20 gauge Model 12 in the depression.
my great-great-great-great-great-great-great grand daddy did it with a spear. Up yours and your pansy gunpowder.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greyscale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 11:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,068 Times in 942 Posts

I would love to try with snares. From antelope to rabbit a snare can get them all.

As for guns to make it easier, are the AR just the lower and I can have lots of different uppers?

22 pistol mkiv
22 rimfire 1022
In Michigan a shotgun 12 or 20gauge will get you rabbits, water fowl, squirrels, and deer because most shots are within 100 yards.

That would be my minimalist list. But I’ve never liked to limit myself.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 11:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,358 Times in 2,688 Posts

All of them
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 01:31 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,348 Times in 4,315 Posts

I think my 7.62x39 AR could meet all my hunting needs. Although my 308 AR-10 would make it easier. One magazine worth of ammo a year should be enough.

I think I would have a really hard time killing enough small game fast enough to feed everyone so I'm not that interested in .22 or shotgun hunting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 02:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,429 Times in 2,909 Posts

I was part of the original conversation with Late.

The conversation drifted a bit, but as Late pointed out, a lot of us have attached ourselves to the AR platform for various reasons. Myself, thanks to a shoulder injury I ended up with the AR a couple of years ago, as it was the only thing that I could shoot. And the lighter weight over any of the other choices is certainly nothing to sneeze at. And while I really like the .300BO upper, I will be switching to the 6.8 before next year.

We got to discussing how much game can be taken with a good .22 rifle and pistol. I remember one gent back in the midwest who used a standard model Ruger and a small flashlight to harvest pretty much everything that walked or flew. The warden was always after him.

A lot of the conversation revolved around the fact that several of us had pared the collections down, some quite heavily. But what was left were generally what would feed the family.
In some other cases, it was that the person had a large number of guns but only actually used a couple.

For my own use, I will be acquiring another little.308 carbine, after letting the last one go to someone who just had to have it. For those times when the AR just isn't enough. And it will get a really good recoil pad and a muzzle brake to save the shoulder.

I considered a shotgun, it and a .22 were all you had to have where and when I grew up. But today, and here, the shotgun hasn't seen use in years outside of sitting behind the closet door.

We all ended up agreeing that there wasn't a right or wrong answer, just what kept your freezer full.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 41,059 Times in 9,730 Posts

Eating the same thing over and over gets a bit boring

You want a mess of quail or pheasant best to get a shot gun

You want big game, best to get something that will deliver the meat

You want small game, best to get something that doesn't blow the little critters up

Want to protect your crops from the little critters, best get something to do that cheaply because those little guys can become quite abundant

Want a mess of fish, well a gun ain't gonna get 'em

There's a lot of lines and a lot of intersections when it comes to what you "should" have

Fortunately we live in a country where right now, we can buy whatever we so choose!

Get it now before you can't

A guy buys certain guns in order to make it easier to get his prey......for whatever reason! Why limit yourself?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 09:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,195 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlibird View Post
I was part of the original conversation with Late.

The conversation drifted a bit, but as Late pointed out, a lot of us have attached ourselves to the AR platform for various reasons. Myself, thanks to a shoulder injury I ended up with the AR a couple of years ago, as it was the only thing that I could shoot. And the lighter weight over any of the other choices is certainly nothing to sneeze at. And while I really like the .300BO upper, I will be switching to the 6.8 before next year.

We got to discussing how much game can be taken with a good .22 rifle and pistol. I remember one gent back in the midwest who used a standard model Ruger and a small flashlight to harvest pretty much everything that walked or flew. The warden was always after him.

A lot of the conversation revolved around the fact that several of us had pared the collections down, some quite heavily. But what was left were generally what would feed the family.
In some other cases, it was that the person had a large number of guns but only actually used a couple.

For my own use, I will be acquiring another little.308 carbine, after letting the last one go to someone who just had to have it. For those times when the AR just isn't enough. And it will get a really good recoil pad and a muzzle brake to save the shoulder.

I considered a shotgun, it and a .22 were all you had to have where and when I grew up. But today, and here, the shotgun hasn't seen use in years outside of sitting behind the closet door.

We all ended up agreeing that there wasn't a right or wrong answer, just what kept your freezer full.
.......And not just the freezers. We also home can our own meats and make jerky. ( Also raise livestock such as chicken, duck, turkey, rabbit, goat, cattle, and catfish. )

Here is an option for your 308 carbine idea....

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/remi...700859224.html

Threaded muzzle for your choice in muzzle brake.

........ And similar to you, I have not used a shotgun 4 hunting in years now. The M1 121 shotgun in below pic is a fun gun nowadays, and it sees use as a skeet blaster. The rifle next to it has seen use as a hunting stick via over a dozen different states . It has simply worked for everything from bunny's to bear and muskcrat to moose. ( Its " other" spl niche = anti UAV)
11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112_102914.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	292166  
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 09:29 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,672 Times in 9,721 Posts

I recently put together an equupment list for a year long river trip in North America.
I started out with (4) long guns, 22LR, 12 ga pump, bolt action 270 win, semi auto 7.62x39.
Then a good friend sold me his SAI Scout Squad. Its is rapidly becoming my new go to rifle for every thing.

Here is the current list for keeping myself fed for one year.

(2) Fishing Rods, (60) Steel Traps, Bank lines, Trot line, Gill net, Crawdad trap.
Sm game pistol, Match grade 22LR rifle, Scout Squad (308 win).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post: