Gun locker moisture - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 09-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Prepared

Default Gun locker moisture

Advertise Here

So I am looking for an unpowered moisture management system for my gun locker. For reference, it is located in a indoors closet within a climate controlled house. Moisture seems minimal but my current descant is getting saturated every few weeks. While its super easy to recharge I would like to use a system that requires less attention. Current system is a "Pro Breeze Renewable Cordless Mini Dehumidifier" rated for 333 cubic feet (locker is approx 2ftx3ftx4ft) for 20-30 days which plugs into the wall and "recharges" in approx 24-48hrs.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Buck91 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 01:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,846 Times in 7,536 Posts

Look into a Golden Rod. Been thinking about getting one myself and yes, my safe is between 50 and 60 percent, though my ammo cans are around 20-30 percent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 01:59 PM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 2,444 Times in 661 Posts

I have used a golden rod for well over 15 years with no issue. No flash rust anywhere on any metal. If I do find a little it can rarely be in the barrel's but that is due to me not oiling them down as often as I probably should.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 02:30 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,808 Times in 6,403 Posts

Golden Rod is just a heater. Doesn't remove any water from the cabinet interior. All it does is reduce the relative humidity by raising the temperature. But that elevated temperature encourages more water to enter every time you open the door.

Stick to your passive desiccants, and dry them as usual.

That "Pro Breeze" actually does contain some desiccant (silica gel) which will take water out of the air. When you take it out and plug it in, a heater drives the water out of the silica gel, readying it for further service. Much better than the Golden Rod IMHO. A little more convenient than warming desiccant bags in the toaster-oven, which is what I do. (I'm lucky enough to have scarfed up a long dozen 2 lb. desiccant bags used in shipping containers that we received at my work.)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 02:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,314 Posts

I go with the heater since it continually drive off moisture. Desiccants need to be changed out.
Often an incandescent low wattage bulb is enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 03:13 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

I've always put cedar shavings into old socks and tied them closed... works great and I like the smell of cedar.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:22 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,808 Times in 6,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
I go with the heater since it continually drive off moisture. Desiccants need to be changed out.
Except it doesn't. The mass of water in the air in the cabinet does not change with temperature. Grade school science.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 03:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,865 Times in 4,410 Posts

I have my safe and a few other things in the same environment as you, and dont use anything, and never had any issues. And it gets pretty humid here in the summer.

Looking at the indoor/outdoor weather center we have, right now says its a 62% in the house, 75% outside.

One thing I use down in the basement, where it is damp, and we have a dehumidifier running full time (when they work), and Im worried about rust, is Eezox. Anything wiped down with a rag sprayed with it, is usually good for about a year or more. Dehumidifier running or not.

If it seems overly humid out, I do keep a wipe down rag on top of my safe and do occasionally wipe down anything thats blued or parked thats been handled. Glocks, hard chrome, etc, really arent a worry in any weather. Id also add to that, anything used and cleaned regularly.

Its sort of like a dozer blade. You dont usually get rust on things being used.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 03:44 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
I've always put cedar shavings into old socks and tied them closed... works great and I like the smell of cedar.
Dunno if that would really offer any moisture management but I love the idea!
Old 09-26-2019, 03:53 PM

We use DampRid in our gun safe. We haven’t had any moisture problems, even in the winter, since we started using it several years ago.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ready?mom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 05:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready?mom View Post
We use DampRid in our gun safe. We havenít had any moisture problems, even in the winter, since we started using it several years ago.
Used to use a big tub of that in my boat cabin when I lived on the gulf. Worked well, but given how high the humidity is down there it didn't last real long. About a month at best.

Honestly, I forgot about that suff. Think I'll search for some.

Edit: Looks like Walmart carries it. I'll check them out tomorrow..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 05:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,044 Posts

Unless you're having mold and mildew problems in the house, you won't have them in the cabinet.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,584 Times in 3,735 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-333-R...et_feature_div

These work very well, I've used one for several years with out problem. You just have to keep an eye on the color of the beads in the window. If they are pink plug the unit in until they turn blue and you are good to go. Again and again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 06:22 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
Unless you're having mold and mildew problems in the house, you won't have them in the cabinet.
The concern is the metal. Even oiled the metal surfaces will oxidize/rust a bit over time. If you have wood stocks in the cabinet, 40-50% humidity is recommended..
Old 09-26-2019, 06:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,865 Times in 4,410 Posts

Unless you use a dehumidifier, and keep the ambient room humidity at those numbers, how are you going to keep your safe there?

The dehumidifier is the only way I see that close to happening. Otherwise, every time you open the safe door, assuming there is even a real difference with the small packet units, you start all over again anyway. Dont you?
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 06:58 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
So I am looking for an unpowered moisture management system for my gun locker. For reference, it is located in a indoors closet within a climate controlled house. Moisture seems minimal but my current descant is getting saturated every few weeks. While its super easy to recharge I would like to use a system that requires less attention. Current system is a "Pro Breeze Renewable Cordless Mini Dehumidifier" rated for 333 cubic feet (locker is approx 2ftx3ftx4ft) for 20-30 days which plugs into the wall and "recharges" in approx 24-48hrs.
Is that cabinet sitting directly on concrete? I had an issue with the guns in the back of my safe rusting. Safe dealer told me it was because there was no air gap between the concrete floor and bottom metal surface of the safe. Especially with concrete that warms and cools you will have condensation forming in areas where the golden rod cannot heat up a little bit more than the surrounding air. I ended up putting all of my safes on 3/8 square steel stock to create the air gap and still bolted them down and the problem was cured. This is especially important in areas that heat and cool more than others like garages or outbuildings.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:29 PM
Prepared

Nah, its main floor with a basement under. Moisture isn't a terrible problem but I did notice a spot or two of flash rust on my storage items that never happened before I installed the cabinet.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:59 PM

Using those tubs of Damprid or similar can be risky. If for any reason they spill, the damage they cause is terrible on guns. Plenty of horror stories on most gun forums.

I use the boxes of silica gel with the colour change window on them. And run them through the oven when the indicator changes colour.

Last edited by Lava; 09-26-2019 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: punctuation
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 08:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,254 Times in 1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Except it doesn't. The mass of water in the air in the cabinet does not change with temperature. Grade school science.
Then how does a food dryer work?

Some info on proper firearms storage
http://www.nramuseum.org/media/10073...20wicklund.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Don H For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 09:19 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 41,059 Times in 9,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Both of you are right!

How it works:

10 grains of moisture in a cubic foot of air remains the same regardless of temperature (depending)

What does change though is the percentage in that cubic foot of air. As air heats up, it's less dense and can hold more moisture so the relative humidity goes down

By the same token, when the temperature goes down, the RH goes up because the air is more dense and cant hold as much moisture

For example: (realize I'm loose with my figures because I don't have a psychometric chart in front of me)

If you have 50% RH at 100 degrees your dew point is in the mid 70's

Meaning:

Moisture can condense on things of like temperature or be adsorbed with other means like silica gel and other things

If you have something that drives the temperature above the dew point, like a heater, your chances of rust go way down, plus the temp doesn't vary

Temperature change and the amount of moisture in the air can cause the biggest problems

Rust is oxidation of iron, whether it comes from water, moisture or in the air we breath

Keep a light coating of good penetrating oil on the steel and wipe it down a couple of times a year and you'll be fine

I use Rem oil on mine and a 1/4 pound of silica gel in my safe. Twice a year I bake the silica in the oven at 125 degrees for a coupe hours. This drives out the moisture and ready for use again

I'm 20 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, everything else down here rusts but not my guns
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post: