Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Prepared

Default Rimfire scope rings?

Advertise Here

Well I'm picking up the Nikon BDC rimfire scope thats currently on sale and looking for some rings. The el cheapo Tasco my .22 is currently sporting is something under 1 inch so I can't reuse the rings and my somewhat ancient H&R Lynx Model 800 isn't drilled for a mounting rail, just has the dovetail. Any suggestions for dovetail compatible 1 inch rings for my rimfire? Retaining iron sigh visibility would be a plus but I don't want to sacrifice too much over bore height.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2019, 04:36 PM
Prepared

Considering the minimal recoil of a .22lr I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Check Amazon. I have a Ruger American Rimfire in .22lr and I put a fairly Bushnell 3-9×40 on it using some weaver dovetail sights I bought from there for about $10. They also have leupold and vortex brands all under $20. Choose one and if you dont like them Amazon has easy returns.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:46 AM
Near The Glow

Thanked 1,676 Times in 551 Posts

Look into Leupold rings, I had to get a set of 11mm dovetail mounts for my CZ. They work really well, but were somewhat hard to track down.
The Following User Says Thank You to MagnumWill For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 08:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,860 Times in 7,542 Posts

Go to the gun section at Walmart. They have a good selection of Weavers; 1"x3/8" dovetail. That's where I picked up mine and they work fine. Not expensive either..
Old 09-27-2019, 11:24 AM
Pusher of brooms

Burris Zee rings
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...69684147114769
Old 09-28-2019, 10:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,195 Times in 3,213 Posts

A second vote for Leopold rings. Use them on most of my scoped rifles including my TCR22 , along with the Leopold VX rimfire / rimfir MOA reticle) scope. Have used them for years on various 1022s that have seen plenty of use as field rifles. All have did thier job well on rifles that see lots of use, get bumped around while carrying them, etc.....

11B
Old 09-28-2019, 08:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,186 Times in 4,918 Posts

I like BKL mounts for rimfire, might be overkill for a plinker but the double strap ones they make are solid rings.
You’ll lose see through capability.

They also make one piece type models and all their rings are “self centering”.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:37 PM
Prepared

So I picked up some Redfield see-through "tip off" style rimfire rings. They look nice and seem to be good quality, though I'm just waiting for the scope to arrive tomorrow to mount it all up. I selected see-through so I could utilize my irons for practice or back up use but I didn't think about over bore height.

These rings are rated for up to 50mm optics and measure 1.5 inches just to the center of the receiver mount- so I'm guessing almost 2 inches for the center over bore height. How bad is that going to mess with my zeroing? Ideally I'd like to be able to pick up close in stuff great with my 2x and then stretch it out to 100+ for appropriate shots (maybe mostly target there) with the 7x BDC reticle (Nikon P-Tactical rimfire 2-7x32).

I know with AR's you see some funky effects from the large over bore height, and with the lower velocity of 22LR I would think this might be even worse. FWIW I'm mounting this up on a 22 inch barrel, its an old H&R Lynx 800 semi auto (blow back?).
Old 09-30-2019, 12:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,950 Times in 6,971 Posts

You’re right. High rings at short distance makes judging holdover difficult, which is not great on a .22.