Geo-Bachelor survival… - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-26-2019, 07:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,896 Times in 4,198 Posts
Default Geo-Bachelor survival…

Advertise Here

I’ve been job hunting for the past couple months since my return from Afghanistan. I was offered a great deal with a company that will be working where I live now in GA, but the catch is that I have to temporarily move to Virginia for about five months before they relocated down here. It’s about 560 miles from the house…long way to “bug home” if needed!

I am working on renting a room; far cheaper than an apartment, but it does present other challenges. My preparation focus will be mostly bugging home and making the decision early if it’s a major SHTF. That's a long ways to travel, but fortunately I have a few friends on a couple different routes who have already offered a bed and a meal. Biggest issue for me is I95; it’s simply an asphalt nightmare. If I can’t depart the area early or at an odd hour to avoid the gridlock traffic and predictable vehicle accidents, I’ve already plotted two additional routes that will add some extra miles but will likely be less congested.

I do plan to do some backpacking up in Shenandoah, so I will have some worse-case preps and I’m considering on either bringing my mountain bike or purchasing another while I’m up there.

Any geo-bachelors preppers out there? Any special considerations or any unique issues you’ve had to contend with?

At least the location is closer than Afghanistan and the pay is better!

ROCK6
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 07:09 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,159 Times in 8,885 Posts

I'd play the odds. 560 miles is a long walk at worst. 40 gallons of gas 12 hrs or so.

There is always something, maybe it will be life saving to be in Va rather than at home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 07:43 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
I'd play the odds. 560 miles is a long walk at worst. 40 gallons of gas 12 hrs or so.

There is always something, maybe it will be life saving to be in Va rather than at home.
Love the optimistic viewpoint Yeah, I was really just think about keeping the car (taking my wife's Subaru vice my truck for the gas mileage) topped off and getting a coupe 5 gallon gas cans stored at the "boarding home". A full tank (13.2 gallons) has a 420 mile range; a couple of 5 gallon cans should be enough to allow me some detours and still get home. It's definitely not something I want to trek on foot!

ROCK6
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,179 Posts

Why on earth would you stay anywhere east of the Mississippi river if you are not on active duty any more 6?? There's an awful lot of opportunity out here in the west.

To answer your question, I face the same dilemma on a regular basis as I work all over the state of Wyoming. I could be in Casper, Gillette, Rock Springs and still have to make it up into one of my favorite hiding spots when it goes down. Fortunately I have friends and family all over the state and some pretty serious caches too.

Have you considered a motorcycle? Waaayy better way to get around traffic jams.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,464 Times in 1,164 Posts

TAKE FLYING lessons.

Spend a couple of grand until you get to solo, get familiar with small plane handling. (if you have ANY coordination and gray matter at all you will be amazed at the ease of flying.)

As I have said in previous posts..
IF
far from home
LOts of congestion...
SHTF
TEOTWAWKI
Circling the drain,
everything going TU
situation is FUBAR
the 4 horsemen are saddling their rides...

I am headed to the nearest airport to find alternate transportation other than ground.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
Why on earth would you stay anywhere east of the Mississippi river if you are not on active duty any more 6?? There's an awful lot of opportunity out here in the west.

To answer your question, I face the same dilemma on a regular basis as I work all over the state of Wyoming. I could be in Casper, Gillette, Rock Springs and still have to make it up into one of my favorite hiding spots when it goes down. Fortunately I have friends and family all over the state and some pretty serious caches too.

Have you considered a motorcycle? Waaayy better way to get around traffic jams.
I know...working on the wife My wife is pretty vested in the GA school system and she has another 10 years or so and not worth a big move (we have weighed the benefits), plus my son is in college locally. Best job opportunities are here at Fort Gordon for my background/experience and we have a sold home in a semi-rural area with plenty of resources. If it wasn't so much family anchoring me here, I would be out West in a heartbeat. Most of my family is in WA, so I've been pushing interest in WY, MT, and ID. This is just one of those necessary-evil life choices...at least for the next 10 years or so.

ROCK6
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 09:34 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,059 Times in 935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
TAKE FLYING lessons.

Spend a couple of grand until you get to solo, get familiar with small plane handling. (if you have ANY coordination and gray matter at all you will be amazed at the ease of flying.)

As I have said in previous posts..
IF
far from home
LOts of congestion...
SHTF
TEOTWAWKI
Circling the drain,
everything going TU
situation is FUBAR
the 4 horsemen are saddling their rides...

I am headed to the nearest airport to find alternate transportation other than ground.

Yes we know. You would steal someone else way out that they prepped for and saved for and potentially kill they and their family instead of prepping for yourself.

Remember that when you travel in highway/shtf times you will most likely drop to 1/3 your gas mileage. Stop and go and hard acceleration after a stop sign and stop lights will eat the gas mileage. I would double what you think you need for gas. Maybe a roof rack or inside holster for fuel. Also remember to get a proper spout/funnel for your tank. The capless gas tanks need a special adapter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 01:44 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 2,187 Times in 909 Posts

As I recall the AT runs between Georgia and Virginia.

You're right about having a extra 10 gallons of gas
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,464 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
Yes we know. You would steal someone else way out that they prepped for and saved for and potentially kill they and their family instead of prepping for yourself.

Remember that when you travel in highway/shtf times you will most likely drop to 1/3 your gas mileage. Stop and go and hard acceleration after a stop sign and stop lights will eat the gas mileage. I would double what you think you need for gas. Maybe a roof rack or inside holster for fuel. Also remember to get a proper spout/funnel for your tank. The capless gas tanks need a special adapter.
I HAVE prepped .. actually we just call it planning for whatever northern Michigan weather can throw at you. Hundreds of gallons of gas and propane, wood, for fireplace, lots of food, don't need to worry about me, I'm good.

The issue was what do you do when a llooonnnggg way from home.
In the EOTW situation.. I am going to do my best to get home..

the thing is.. what makes you think everyone who has an interest in a plane actually has a place to go??? Really.. without a place to go, you can fly around a while but you have to land sometime and without having secured a place, you are no better off than you were before taking off.
Besides I promised you I would stay out of Livingston County when I look for transport.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:21 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
TAKE FLYING lessons.

I wouldn't disagree if I was located further from home, and it is an option, just lower on the priority list. The biggest challenge is the main highway...there are other options I'll pursue. The biggest focus is on intel and making an early decision...which means being pretty much packed and ready to roll every day.

While the AT only 70 miles away, that's still a heck a distance on foot. I realistically would only be able to do about 100-150 miles without resupply. I'll need to drive about 3/4 of the way if push comes to foot.

The situation isn't idea, fortunately it's only short term...

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 05:16 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,159 Times in 8,885 Posts

I just looked at light plane. 100 mpg reported, 50 mpg at like 200 MPH. I think you need a real ticket to fly it. Ultralite 65 MPH max and only 5 gal of gas, looking 12 hours and maybe 6 fuel stops.

Motorcycle with a side car, or one of those big desert tanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 11:50 PM
Ordinary Average Guy

Thanked 1,195 Times in 531 Posts

The plane idea sounds interesting, until you consider the probability of being shot down during take off and landing. Planes are very noisy and will attract a lot of attention while being very vulnerable.

I am often 1000 miles or more from home. I have determined that I will have to take the situation into consideration when the event happens. There is a very good possibility that I wouldn't return to the homestead if more than 200 miles away and every one is on foot. (easily looking at a month of walking and the old bones & joints will not support that). Even as little as 100 miles will probably result in my trying to fit in where ever I am if on foot. All the novels that talk about people making it home after an extended journey are fantasy in my opinion. The long walk, bandits, appropriation of food & water to me spell disaster to anyone who tries it. Environmental conditions (bitter cold/Southern States heat & humidity, rainy season) will also cause me to take pause.
The Following User Says Thank You to T-Rex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 04:17 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
All the novels that talk about people making it home after an extended journey are fantasy in my opinion. The long walk, bandits, appropriation of food & water to me spell disaster to anyone who tries it. Environmental conditions (bitter cold/Southern States heat & humidity, rainy season) will also cause me to take pause.
I do distance backpacking and couldn't agree more. In fact, most who backpack often only do 3-4 days on the trail before getting off and resupplying. Other than having enough potable water sources along the route, food is my biggest concern and that is tied with weather conditions. I recently did 106 miles unsupported/no resupply; took me a full seven days and the following morning. I still had almost two days of food, but that really limits me to about 150 miles. Oh, and despite more "trail-oriented" trekking, that was with decent weather conditions (still pretty hot and humid), plenty of water sources to keep water weight down, not under duress or significant concerns of security, no need to travel at low light (which is often slower), etc.

If for whatever reason I'm forced away from motorized transportation, the more I backpack, the more I consider a mountain bike. I can simply go further, faster, and carry more food. The biggest problem is if it's really a major SHTF, roads will likely be a larger risk based on threat-assessments. While I can follow a general azimuth, you really need a good atlas or regional map to use the smaller roads and avoid major thoroughfares.

In the end, I think I will plan to just keep the car topped off, bug-home bag packed, get a couple of 5-gallon cans filled, and try and remain as situationally aware as possible. I will likely go with a bike and compact trailer setup as the backup transportation before needing to go on foot for a truly worse-case scenario. The key will be solid route planning, which I'm already doing.

The likelihood of some significant SHTF incapacitating vehicles for the next six months is miniscule...but being that far from home could be catastrophic. It's better to have a feasible plan first and develop other/better alternatives as time/resources allow. Look like some good biking trails where I'll be and I'm looking at something like the Burley single-track Coho XC trailer. Averaging 7-8 miles per hour (that's actually trail speed averages), one could cover 70-80 miles a day if in decent shape (and can tolerate the saddle sores if you don't bike much), and not severe weather...that's something more feasible than on foot.

ROCK6
Old 09-27-2019, 05:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,824 Times in 8,393 Posts

I met this guy. He puts out some k's

https://www.mycause.com.au/page/1724...ia-andre-jones

Sorry context.

Get a kart and a couple of pairs of sneakers.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:22 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
I met this guy. He puts out some k's

https://www.mycause.com.au/page/1724...ia-andre-jones

Sorry context.

Get a kart and a couple of pairs of sneakers.
What most don't understand is the required water and caloric intake...and water is rarely potable (requiring purification/filtration). Caloric intake takes on a bigger role beyond day 3-4. Most distance runners eat differently and carrying a heavy pack simply consumes more calories because you're moving slower over the same distances but requiring far more time.

No offense, but most people can't hike a few miles without a pack let alone with a pack and/or hauling a cart. Those that say backpacking is just walking are the ones who have never done it. I understand your over-simplification, but even under ideal conditions, trekking 500+miles on foot is not for the average prepper or even average athlete...not too mention it's pretty much impossible without a significant resupply plan (and no, snaring/trapping, hunting, fishing, and foraging are NOT reliable planning factors).

I have to plan around my own capabilities and limitations; I know what's possible for me. Humping a pack and/or hauling a cart with sneakers is simply planning for failure...

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 05:36 AM
Prepared

Where about in VA is a relevant consideration.

I saw motorcycle mentioned, have you considered and enduro type bike?

found this guy in GA https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...O-R-5009540844

You can add some bags 560 is a short distance and similar conveyance would give you the ability to get around traffic and get you over the river and through the woods so to speak. adn you can carry a pretty good amount of stuff. 3.4 gal tank gets 150+ miles you distance would be about 4 fill ups Im pretty sure you could carry at least 1 on the bike and another in your bag. that leave 2 really stops at a shorter distance than a car . I would assume to have no issues with the 1st gas stop at 150ish miles. You could cover that roughly 2.5hrs (avg 60MPH) puts you home in 10ish hrs.

Id drive to VA pick up something similar(used in good shape) and sell it in 5 months when you are able to relocate back to GA, or bring it with you you never know when it would come in handy.

You also said you have people along the way you could store a few gallons of gas at those locations and eliminate having to stop at a station all together. Much easier to plan for a 3.5 gal tank that a 15-20 gal tank.

just my .02
The Following User Says Thank You to 273andme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 05:58 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 273andme View Post
Where about in VA is a relevant consideration.

I saw motorcycle mentioned, have you considered and enduro type bike?
Location in VA is the worst location I have considered a motorcycle (especially something like an Enduro), but I'm just not a motorcycle guy. Maybe 30 years ago it would be a more serious option. Call it fear. I've had a couple friends and way too many Soldiers get killed on bikes, only a couple were their own fault. Given the traffic insanity I'll be around, I would simply feel safer with more steel surrounding me. Yeah, lame excuse, but as viable of an option a motorcycle is, it's not a good option for me. Thanks for the suggestion and it's likely a very good and feasible option for others more fearless than I!

Your recommendation has made me consider getting an electric mountain bike...more expensive, but a good option to maintain a pace where you can take a breather without stopping...

ROCK6
Old 09-27-2019, 06:17 AM
Prepared

I hear you. I learned something when I use to ride, if you practice responsible riding you are pretty safe, Ive heard the mantra "dont to dumb SH!T" too many times in the military I have carried it over to civilian life. I was only suggesting it as a last resort.

You have AFG as you location and mention working there. Will assume you are familiar with the phrase "inshallah" I know a guy that got folded in half when a tree fell on his house and another who popped an artery dropping a deuce. I kind of feel like if its your time its your time. be it on a bike in a car or binge watching some show on netflix. heck even had a guy 20 years old fall over dead from a heart attack in the barracks playing playstation.

I do however understand the fear some people have. but when you think about it what is fear really? just a thought of something that could but may never happen. so why waste tiem thinking worried or having fear over something that may never ever happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to 273andme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 10:30 AM
Will hunt for food!

I was just going to mention the electric mountain bike. I have been looking into them for a while now. They can actually haul a decent amount of weight. I would get a couple of extra batteries and the solar charger for them. Set the charger up on the trailer if traveling in the daytime and rotate batteries as needed. The downside is the expense. For the set up I looked at, with trailer three batteries and charger was over $5500. So, for now I will stick with my horses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockin90 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 07:53 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,974 Times in 3,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Location in VA is the worst location I have considered a motorcycle (especially something like an Enduro), but I'm just not a motorcycle guy. Maybe 30 years ago it would be a more serious option. Call it fear. I've had a couple friends and way too many Soldiers get killed on bikes, only a couple were their own fault. Given the traffic insanity I'll be around, I would simply feel safer with more steel surrounding me. Yeah, lame excuse, but as viable of an option a motorcycle is, it's not a good option for me. Thanks for the suggestion and it's likely a very good and feasible option for others more fearless than I!

Your recommendation has made me consider getting an electric mountain bike...more expensive, but a good option to maintain a pace where you can take a breather without stopping...

ROCK6
You could get the enduro and use it as a backup plan instead of a daily commuter in traffic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post: