Conflicted Card Game "The Survivalist Series" #4 - Wanna Play? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-24-2019, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 31,390 Times in 9,085 Posts
Default Conflicted Card Game "The Survivalist Series" #4 - Wanna Play?

Advertise Here

I finally got around to buying this deck of cards. There are a total of 8 card decks. I started with this one.

Edited: (Just found out or I should say just realized ,Duh, these question's are based on the lead character Morgan Carter and his group of the "Going Home" and "Surviving Home" Series written by A American. I haven't read them.)

I've been reading these cards and the way you play is these cards are played with at least 2 people and/or as many as you can get. Each card has a question and you read the question and discuss the scenario.

It definitely get's you to thinking and since I don't have anyone that's interested around here I thought I would post 1 card at least once a day or a week and we could have discussions about it.

First card: How much power and influence would you want in your immediate community after the collapse of modern society and why?

((Keep in mind, these questions are for discussions for AFTER the SHTF not before.))
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.

Last edited by TXplowgirl; 10-11-2019 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Correcting a couple of errors and adding something
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 03:27 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,909 Times in 560 Posts

I would want to be the guy setting in the back of the room, just watching and waiting with only the power over myself and mine
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ncwebnut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 03:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,888 Times in 19,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXplowgirl View Post

First card: How much power and influence would you want in your immediate community after the collapse of modern society and why?
Power:

None.

Influence behind the throne is safer.

Influence:

How do I rate 'how much'?
1-10 scale?

I want, and believe I have the ear of community leaders, from.fire chief, to pastor, the justice of the peace, community leadership, business...

If I could make a case for a road block, or organize people to feed themselves... I KNOW I could be listened to. I've already (got them to) be the figurehead on a political action committee I started/did the work for.)
likely I could influence action.

That's enough for me... Can make things happen and bring people together in the community.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 03:42 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,349 Times in 4,315 Posts

Second in command is where I like to be.

Gives you a certain immunity to the kind of BS the top position has to deal with, but still puts you in a good place to influence what happens while still being approachable by the squad leaders etc.

Now, if it was just how I feel, I'd like to be in the shadows left to my own devices but a hard lesson life has taught me is that unless you have power, you will be under someone else's so as long as there is a power structure in the area, I want to be near the top for my own protection.

Edit: I see nomads post and like how he put it. It's not power I want either, but I do want influence, and believe that I have, influence in my community when it comes to SHTF.

And if nothing else, I REALLY want to be in the command structure so at least I know what is going on and why.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 04:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,903 Times in 4,202 Posts

Quote:

I've seen these cards before; very thought provoking...I'll play.

Power? Nothing outside my household, and I fear my wife's power. Fear the individual who desires that critical leadership position, wants to be in charge, loves the power and prestige. Power is like money, it's not by itself evil, but the love of either often leads to evil. Power without the ability to influence or motivate people almost always defaults to using force to "influence" others. Power? No thanks.

Now influence, that's an important skill. I've got a career in the military where this is a critical factor as a leader.

Quote:
The Army's definition of leadership is “the process of influencing people by providing purpose, direction and motivation while operating to accomplish the mission and improving the organization.” An army leader is anyone who inspires and influences people to accomplish their goals.
The biggest challenges with influence is developing meaningful relationships, earning trust, and being known as an individual with integrity, who is honest, trustworthy, and who's actions are never perceived as self-serving. The importance of developing key relationships can't be stressed enough.

Communities aren't the military, so unless you're already in a leadership position, your reputation of those traits above are your resume to shape, influence, and motivate certain actions in your community.

As an interesting note, influence can be both positive or negative. I did a fair share of UCMJ punishment on some Soldiers who were the bad apples in the barrel. However, they were exceptional leaders of influence...it's just their influence often led down the wrong paths. Very much natural leaders, just using their talents for personal gain, power, greed...I'm sure there are very talented leaders able to influence others in prison; however, most of those leaders are more than willing to use "power" more often than charisma.

Understand the difference between Power and Influence; and always question the motivations of those wanting leadership roles. There is an art to influencing and motivating others, very few leaders actually understand it.

ROCK6
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 04:36 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,135 Times in 489 Posts

Where do you buy the game ?
Old 09-24-2019, 05:52 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
Where do you buy the game ?
They have 8 card decks not 10 like I thought and a board game. https://www.conflictedthegame.com/

Check the video out. It's kinda corny but cute too in a way.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,002 Posts

I'd prefer to be the slightly crazy, slightly wise woman who lives down the road. The known person who thinks outside the box. The impartial person you might go to for advice or tie-breaker.

Other than that, leave me to my own projects [ which might be very useful for those who join in]. {I do have some organization skills].
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Florida Jean For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 12:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 7,012 Times in 1,091 Posts

Think being a leader is hard now when everyone is comfortable it would only be way worse when people don't have the basic everyday things.

Anything past the amount of people you can fit in a car is to much to be in charge of for me.

I would not mind being the guy in the crowd that shouts out an idea and others figure out how to make it work.

----------
Interesting idea for a bunch of threads/discussions. I would probably participate in most of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,101 Posts

I would want just enough power to decide what me and my family do without myself or my tools or my food being conscripted or coerced into paying a protection/tax . Although I assume that would be unlikely.

In reality I would probably go along to get along, keeping my head down, while keeping my food, and tools hidden.

Although I do have a couple preps that I may be willing to use for the greater good of people in the area. I have a large flour grinder, and a 3 foot over shot wheel to power it and a spot in the stream picked out to build a debris dam to power the wheel. I also have some very large wood fired stainless cookware that could be used to process food on a community level. If the situation were right I would be willing to allow the community to use those items. Although I figure the same equipment would allow me a method of trade by using them to start a modest sized brewery if grain were available.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 12:39 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. After an event, sheeple look for a leader to guide the flock. You may get into a position just by necessity... theirs. I'm personally a leave me the hell alone type of guy, but I know there will be people who turn to the person that was once labeled "oh, he's one of those prepper guys".

It's funny how things go full circle...
Old 09-24-2019, 02:39 PM
Nemo me impune lacessit

Location: Near where Indiana, Michigan and Lake Michigan meet.
Thanked 3,251 Times in 2,026 Posts

Power, none unless assigned. (ret. LEO, firefighter). Influence, accept knowledge if I know they want to do something that would go bad for the group. Lead no, advise ok.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragon Tamer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,529 Times in 1,180 Posts

IF THINGs went sideways..
and everything was compressed to local world as in each county sort of becoming its own city-state... the leaders would be the folks already in those elected offices just by the nature of the people.. I am a fairly well known person in our area and so...

When Gen. Douglas McArthur was running Japan and someone was trying to upset his apple cart, Doug used to turn to a gentleman on his staff by the name of Jack Canon, later of Glaser Safety Slug fame... and he would say something like, "Mr. Canon.. would you see to this matter?"
and
either that matter disappeared into the bottom of Tokyo Bay or the person got right in lockstep with old Doug.
I could sort of see myself helping trouble shoot some of the rough spots in coordinating with the new gov't.

I only met him once but I had a couple friends who were very good friends and had some interesting stories to relate about Jack.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 08:34 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Lol, I just realized I hadn't given my own thoughts on this.

I would like to be in the know. Like some of you, I don't want the burden of being the person out front but somewhere in the back where I could give my thoughts and know what the higher ups are thinking and doing. Therefore, if crap's coming down I can be better prepared and can fight against the people spreading stupid rumors.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:50 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Default 2nd Card

After being unjustly kicked out of your group and betrayed by your friends, you were left powerless against them. There is an opportunity to turn them in to their enemies. This would put you at a great advantage and bring your friends down. Would you do it? Yes or no, and why?

No, It dosen't matter what they do. I'm not a snitch. never have been and never will be. Even though they think I did something which I didn't some of them would still be my friends and i'm not going to hurt them to get back at the idiots who betrayed me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 09:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 7,012 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote:
After being unjustly kicked out of your group and betrayed by your friends, you were left powerless against them. There is an opportunity to turn them in to their enemies. This would put you at a great advantage and bring your friends down. Would you do it? Yes or no, and why?
Depends. If they kick me out and I can walk away with all my stuff there is no reason to betray them.

However if they kick me out with nothing but my shirt on my back. They are no longer my friends and have already betrayed me.

Last edited by Eagle Scout Survivor; 09-25-2019 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: TXplowgirl clarified the question. Deleted non relevent stuff
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout Survivor View Post
Depends. If they kick me out and I can walk away with all my stuff there is no reason to betray them.

However if they kick me out with nothing but my shirt on my back. They are no longer my friends and have already betrayed me. (This during a SHTF event)

If they kick me out and keep all my stuff preshtf I probably do nothing and walk away never deal with them again. I have wrote family out of my life that screwed me I can do it with friends too.
These questions are based on after SHTF has hit the fan not before.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 06:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,903 Times in 4,202 Posts

Quote:
This is a hard one. First, I'm a pretty introspective individual, if there was trouble brewing, I would likely leave before being "kicked out" if I couldn't resolve the issues...I'm assuming a group not my home? If a certain number of people want to boot me from my home, things would go kinetic real quick

Secondly, I would have to question my judgement of "friends". Sure, this is a post-SHTF scenario, but your choices pre-SHTF/now, have consequences in the future. Your decisions, judgements, and relationships pre-SHTF are critical and will affect such situations as this question poses.

If this is a neighborhood group or something similar where I still have my home and resources, I think it's still critical to part ways on amenable terms. It may only be one bad apple who doesn't care for me...those cancerous types don't last long in groups. In this instance, I'm fine taking my ball and going home...I'm simply more of a benefit to a group than a group is for me; however, I don't want potential enemies added to an already growing list of post-SHTF threats.

Now, if there's some situation where I'm living with others and not the home-owner, this can be uncomfortable. While this stresses the importance of owning your own kit so you can walk away with your shirt still on your back, if not allowed to depart with what I "own", we again have the potential for a kinetic farewell. If there are other circumstances, personality conflicts, resource limitations, whatever, if I was allowed to depart with my own belongings, than no hard feelings, I'm gone (and likely traveling out of the area anyways).

I seen no benefit to "outing" a group because we parted ways. If they come knocking on my door for assistance, the price might be a little higher, but allies don't always have to be friends, and disagreements don't always have to result in enemies who need payback.

Of course, the follow up question that really challenges your personal ethics (consider it Card Scenario 2B): what if you have a group (your homestead, your resources), and you have a member who is causing significant issues, making others very uncomfortable, sewing dissention amongst the ranks, and/or not pulling their weight?

If that person gets the boot and is likely vindictive, your OPSEC will be compromised. Do you trust that individual NOT to stab you in the back with a potential outsider threat/competition? Or do you take them out behind the wood shed to show them where the hogs are fed? How much trust do you have in that situation and how comfortable are you with your ethical decision making process?

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 08:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,888 Times in 19,100 Posts

Quote:
Whats the betrayal and how am I supposedly "left powerless"
Being "left powerless" and a "opportunity to turn them on to their enemies" do not reconcile.

Who the "enemies" are also matters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 08:41 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,529 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post

Of course, the follow up question that really challenges your personal ethics (consider it Card Scenario 2B): what if you have a group (your homestead, your resources), and you have a member who is causing significant issues, making others very uncomfortable, sewing dissention amongst the ranks, and/or not pulling their weight?

If that person gets the boot and is likely vindictive, your OPSEC will be compromised. Do you trust that individual NOT to stab you in the back with a potential outsider threat/competition? Or do you take them out behind the wood shed to show them where the hogs are fed? How much trust do you have in that situation and how comfortable are you with your ethical decision making process?

ROCK6
I THOUGHT we discussed this earlier..
if the person is that disruptive and a threat if let go, you have not a lot of choice but to remove BOTH THREATS, the disruptive force and the security threat. You may not want to kill someone known to you but what logical choice do you have?

Sorry about that....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post: