What do you suggest for a first .357 Magnum revolver? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
The other issue I've had, has been leading in my 357's shooting 38 LSWC's. Dont know why, but I dont cast my own, and the hard cast I shoot in my 38's, seem to want to lead the chambers and bores of my 357's when shot out of them. The same loads don't lead the 38's, which I find strange.
Most of the commercial lead cast bullets are cast hard and and sized to a minimum size. You are probably getting some powder blow by on the bullets when fired in 357 chambers and this is causing the leading. And if the bore on your 357 is a little generous it will also allow blow by of the hot gasses.

Check some of the bullet casters websites and a couple offer different lead hardness and optional sizing diameters. Pick a bigger sized bullet in a softer alloy and that should help with your bore leading. I even like to add my own tumble lube to commercial bullets. Either thinned Lee Alox or the excellent Rooster Jacket sold by Midway USA.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 02:25 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 33,896 Times in 8,738 Posts

I love long guns, but out of many hand guns in my vault, the only one that really gets my attention is:

686 S&W, 357, 4 inch barrel.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 02:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,839 Times in 4,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge912 View Post
I load .38 spl +P loads in .357 Mag cases. No ring, less recoil.
Ive done the same in the past, but anymore, I just load them to "mid range" 357mag spec. And youre right, it does solve the "ring" issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
Most of the commercial lead cast bullets are cast hard and and sized to a minimum size. You are probably getting some powder blow by on the bullets when fired in 357 chambers and this is causing the leading. And if the bore on your 357 is a little generous it will also allow blow by of the hot gasses.

Check some of the bullet casters websites and a couple offer different lead hardness and optional sizing diameters. Pick a bigger sized bullet in a softer alloy and that should help with your bore leading. I even like to add my own tumble lube to commercial bullets. Either thinned Lee Alox or the excellent Rooster Jacket sold by Midway USA.
Thanks. I do realize thats probably the case, but its been a common thing, no matter what I buy. I just find its easier, and really not that much more expensive, to buy plated or even jacketed for practice ammo. Less work and aggravation in the long run.

I still load some 38's and 38/200's with lead, but anymore, everything else has been getting plated bullets instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post
I love long guns, but out of many hand guns in my vault, the only one that really gets my attention is:

686 S&W, 357, 4 inch barrel.
They just had a real nice 4" 686 in my favorite shop last week that I somehow was able to pass up. It was tough though. Hes got a 2" 63 Im looking at and Im trying to see if we can work it out. Its been calling my name harder.

I have a 19, 28, and 620, all with 4" barrels, and a 65 with a 3", and its hard to choose which I like best. I still think the 28 pretty much has the edge though. Was just out with the 620 this morning, and it is jockeying hard for position.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 07:03 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. I do realize thats probably the case, but its been a common thing, no matter what I buy. I just find its easier, and really not that much more expensive, to buy plated or even jacketed for practice ammo. Less work and aggravation in the long run.

I still load some 38's and 38/200's with lead, but anymore, everything else has been getting plated bullets instead.
I started casting lead around 1985. I said casting was not a line I was going to cross. Then I was given around 300lbs of lead. I crossed the line. And never looked back.

I have shot thousands of my own cast bullets when shooting falling plate matches. I have probably 5,000 home cast on hand now not counting balls and bullets for my BP rifles. But I suppose casting and shooting lead is not for everyone.

One of my all time favorite 357 loads is 6.6grs of Unique powder in a 357 case for around 1100fps. Sort of like a modern 38/44 loading.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 09:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,665 Times in 2,006 Posts

I bought a smith 28 with a 6" barrel and had an action job done on it. It still serves me well. I picked up a Ruger GP100 a few weeks ago. I have not shot it
Old 09-25-2019, 10:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,363 Times in 1,049 Posts

S&W 686 and the GPS-100 both have transfer bars. This, and quality, would limit my choice to those 2.
The Following User Says Thank You to Explainist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 12:33 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,917 Times in 1,716 Posts

S&W 686 has internal hammer block actuated by the rebound slide, but no "transfer bar."
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 02:34 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,095 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
S&W 686 has internal hammer block actuated by the rebound slide, but no "transfer bar."
Is a transfer bar better than a hammer block ? I don’t know that much about how revolvers work I’ve never taken one apart.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:20 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,179 Times in 7,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
Hi,
I'm thinking of adding a good quality .357 Magnum revolver to my collection, (with a good quality, matching/appropriate holster for it). What do you recommend for a new, used, out-of-production or vintage example? I prefer full-sized/standard-sized guns, but I'll consider cut-down sized CCW guns as well.
Thank you
I own a lot of revolvers. Stick with Rugers and Smiths. I tend to prefer Ruger, as I like their rocker cylinder release better than a push forward release. Both will be well made and serve you well. Advice on the Rugers and Smiths is good in the thread and I concur.

Ruger and SW shine in customer service. I've had minor issues, and both were right there with support on really old guns.

Be aware though, parts for discontinued guns are scarce... took me a long time to replace a broken trigger spring on a Six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
Thanks for the ideas so far. What about a nice laser sight system for any of the models suggested so far?
Absolutely not. I wouldn't even consider it. If you are looking for a carry or HD gun that requires a light system, get a modern semi-auto with a rail and call it a day. Rails look atrocious on revolvers. Gross.

I love revolvers, but none have any HD or carry role for me anymore, except maybe backwoods firepower/accuracy with bigger calibers and longer barrels like my 6" .44 magnum SW 629. For carry and HD, semi-autos shine with bigger capacity and faster reloads and rails if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
I am one of the few that will rave about the Taurus. I opted for a 44mag for my first, big caliber revolver, but didn't want to spend a fortune. I love the gun. It is actually fun to shoot at the range, is really accurate and functions to perfection. I would imagine a Taurus in 357 mag would be just as good.
I own and have owned several Taurus. Based on many very very bad experiences, I recommend avoiding the brand. If you are on the hunt for a deeply discounted bargain and find a vintage Taurus revolver copy of a SW or Colt revolver and it passes all normal inspection, and it's really really inexpensive, then you are probably safe to buy. I would absolutely not buy anything of new production or anywhere near retail or market or new prices for their garbage. Terrible quality control, it will have a greater chance than other brands of having problems, and their CS is atrocious and the worst of any company in any industry (other than airlines) to get help or satisfaction. They really just do not care...

AVOID at nearly all costs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 05:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,388 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
I own and have owned several Taurus. Based on many very very bad experiences, I recommend avoiding the brand. If you are on the hunt for a deeply discounted bargain and find a vintage Taurus revolver copy of a SW or Colt revolver and it passes all normal inspection, and it's really really inexpensive, then you are probably safe to buy. I would absolutely not buy anything of new production or anywhere near retail or market or new prices for their garbage. Terrible quality control, it will have a greater chance than other brands of having problems, and their CS is atrocious and the worst of any company in any industry (other than airlines) to get help or satisfaction. They really just do not care...

Yea, I can vouch for that too. Taurus CS is horrible. I returned my PT 140 thanks to you lead counsel for letting me know about the pistol recall. It took them almost 6 months to get me a new pistol and that was with me calling almost weekly hounding them. Each time I did call, it was like they had no clue what I was talking about. They would tell me different things. If something went wrong like with my FFL, they would not inform you. One rep. would say one thing...then the next week someone else would say something else about why my pistol was on hold and not shipped out yet. I finally got it and the first thing I wanted to do was get rid of it. Taurus is garbage and like kel tec they are on my list of manufactures to never buy from no matter what they have to offer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sabotage39k For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 07:17 PM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 5,260 Times in 3,318 Posts

Its too bad about those with bad Taurus experiences. I've read about a few others on some other websites.

However, I've also read a lot of about people's bad personal experiences with other gun manufacturers.

For example:

I had to send a brand new Kahr pistol back to them to do some corrective work on it.

I had to send a brand new Sig Saur back, and months later got a completely different, new pistol back from them, instead of a repair of the one sent in.

The above being said, I've had a Taurus 1911 for about 7 years now with zero issues.

I also have a 3" Taurus 692 .357 revolver and a Taurus 627 .357 4" Tracker from earlier this year and those also work flawlessly with absolutely zero issues. I love the ported barrels on both of them, that greatly reduce the magnum revolver snappiness when shooting. The ported barrels make them a lot of fun to shoot during long gun range sessions (even with +P loads).

These are not my only pistols or revolvers (I have 2 Kimber 1911's and Ruger revolvers among a number of other pistols and revolvers).

My point is, that you are ALWAYS going to find a number of bad experience reports with every gun brand and model produced.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:20 PM
VIP Member

Glad you asked. S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum, blued, 4.25".
Buy this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Second-Place-...gateway&sr=8-1

And this revolver:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-19-classic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_19

And never look back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackpine1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 07:50 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotage39k View Post
Quote:

Yea, I can vouch for that too. Taurus CS is horrible. I returned my PT 140 thanks to you lead counsel for letting me know about the pistol recall. It took them almost 6 months to get me a new pistol and that was with me calling almost weekly hounding them. Each time I did call, it was like they had no clue what I was talking about. They would tell me different things. If something went wrong like with my FFL, they would not inform you. One rep. would say one thing...then the next week someone else would say something else about why my pistol was on hold and not shipped out yet. I finally got it and the first thing I wanted to do was get rid of it. Taurus is garbage and like kel tec they are on my list of manufactures to never buy from no matter what they have to offer.
I own a Taurus pt709 and. Keltec PF9. O don’t recommend the keltec, and it’s painful to shoot and doesn’t like many types of ammo. The Taurus has been reliable , but has a terrible trigger. The 709 is not one of the Taurus pistols known to screw up. But most of the Taurus semi autos are known to screw up.

I would consider a Taurus revolver for hunting. They make a few that seam to get the job done. I generally would be skeptical of buying any of their striker fired pistols for self defense , even though my wife’s pistol has been shown to be reliable.

But the new Taurus C2C has been getting rave reviews from several reputable members of the gun community. Also many of the diamondback firearms ( owned by Taurus ) have been known to be decent value and reliable. So it may be that Taurus , who has moved some manufacturing to the USA as well as making changes in management and industrial process , may have turned something around. But it’s too early to tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 08:38 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotage39k View Post
Minor thread derail, but if you locate my recall thread, I maneuvered my way into getting 2 new 1911s for my 2 recalled junk polymer guns. I pulled the right levers! I promptly traded those 1911s (which were also not good quality) for an AR15 and a Sig... so I ended up turning lemons into lemonade!

That was a terrible experience and it was that experience though that was the last straw. I will forever tell people to avoid Taurus unless it's a proven vintage design and in excellent condition and the price is disposable money...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 08:51 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
I own a Taurus pt709 and. Keltec PF9. O donít recommend the keltec, and itís painful to shoot and doesnít like many types of ammo. The Taurus has been reliable , but has a terrible trigger. The 709 is not one of the Taurus pistols known to screw up. But most of the Taurus semi autos are known to screw up.

I would consider a Taurus revolver for hunting. They make a few that seam to get the job done. I generally would be skeptical of buying any of their striker fired pistols for self defense , even though my wifeís pistol has been shown to be reliable.

But the new Taurus C2C has been getting rave reviews from several reputable members of the gun community. Also many of the diamondback firearms ( owned by Taurus ) have been known to be decent value and reliable. So it may be that Taurus , who has moved some manufacturing to the USA as well as making changes in management and industrial process , may have turned something around. But itís too early to tell.
Taurus modern semi autos just sucks. People who buy them and review them tend to get failures but are simply overly kind to them in their reviews. I've watched several videos and seen a greater-than-average number of failures. Folks then offer excuses, ifs-ands-buts, and "for the price, it's ....". No thanks.

Go over to watch reviews of Smiths, Glocks, etc. and you rarely and almost never see failures.

I'm not saying other guns are perfect. I've had returns or problems with other guns too. The other gun companies CS shines. Nearly instant returns, fixes, replacements, etc. I've had guns fixed or parts sent ranging from days to a month with FN, Walther, Keltec, MSAR, CZ, Ruger, and maybe some others. Taurus on the other hand? Months... took me years to get my latest issue resolved with them and they drug their feet to the end.

So it's not just the purchase price, or the performance, but the treatment on the back end too.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 08:57 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Is a transfer bar better than a hammer block ? I donít know that much about how revolvers work Iíve never taken one apart.
Either, properly executed, is drop-safe and achieves the design intent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 09:25 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Quote:
I own a Taurus pt709 and. Keltec PF9. O don’t recommend the keltec, and it’s painful to shoot and doesn’t like many types of ammo. The Taurus has been reliable , but has a terrible trigger. The 709 is not one of the Taurus pistols known to screw up. But most of the Taurus semi autos are known to screw up.

I would consider a Taurus revolver for hunting. They make a few that seam to get the job done. I generally would be skeptical of buying any of their striker fired pistols for self defense , even though my wife’s pistol has been shown to be reliable.

But the new Taurus C2C has been getting rave reviews from several reputable members of the gun community. Also many of the diamondback firearms ( owned by Taurus ) have been known to be decent value and reliable. So it may be that Taurus , who has moved some manufacturing to the USA as well as making changes in management and industrial process , may have turned something around. But it’s too early to tell.
Taurus modern semi autos just sucks. People who buy them and review them tend to get failures but are simply overly kind to them in their reviews. I've watched several videos and seen a greater-than-average number of failures. Folks then offer excuses, ifs-ands-buts, and "for the price, it's ....". No thanks.

Go over to watch reviews of Smiths, Glocks, etc. and you rarely and almost never see failures.

I'm not saying other guns are perfect. I've had returns or problems with other guns too. The other gun companies CS shines. Nearly instant returns, fixes, replacements, etc. I've had guns fixed or parts sent ranging from days to a month with FN, Walther, Keltec, MSAR, CZ, Ruger, and maybe some others. Taurus on the other hand? Months... took me years to get my latest issue resolved with them and they drug their feet to the end.

So it's not just the purchase price, or the performance, but the treatment on the back end too.
While I tend to agree about Taurus overt all I think they may have turned a corner recently. It’s still too early to tell. Manufactures do get better sometimes. Look at Hyundai, fiat or even Chrysler from the late 80s early 90s. It can of course go the other way too. Look at Remington.

Also in 2018 Taurus moved some of its production to Georgia in a modern facility. This can make a LOT of difference.

I mean they are still currently a budget gun. They aren’t going to competing with Korth and nighthawk anytime soon. But I really think they are on the way to transforming from a budget brand to a value brand. An an analogy would be going from YUGO to Kia or at least Dawoo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 09:30 AM

Keep in mind replacement parts, i have a Ruger security six that was my backpacking/hiking/thumping/everything gun until i broke the front sight post. Its simply impossible to get a simple fsp for it so now it sits. I'd go for something newer and very common.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:16 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungammer View Post
Keep in mind replacement parts, i have a Ruger security six that was my backpacking/hiking/thumping/everything gun until i broke the front sight post. Its simply impossible to get a simple fsp for it so now it sits. I'd go for something newer and very common.
The Ruger pin-in front sight is fairly easy to fabricate and install. That is the weakest part in the gun. Fortunately most of the internal lockwork parts are sturdy and virtually bulletproof. I own three "six" series Rugers, a .38 Special Service Six I built as my armorer's school gun, plus a .357 Speed Six and a .380 Rimmed India military model I bought off GunBroker.

I shoot the living heck out of them.

But I confess that when I see used parts for them on GunBroker, particularly the smaller springs and plungers which are likely to get lost if you take the gun apart and get stupid, I buy any affordable spares to keep around.

The last of the factory customer service parts for the "six" series were used up by the late 1990s. That wouldn't discourage me from buying a sound used Ruger which still worked well, was in original "Un-Bubba'ed" condition and required no gunsmithing, if the price was right.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,551 Times in 6,350 Posts

since I haven't seen a price point mentioned and they are reported to be tough as nails what about a Manurhin?