29 Percent Decline in North American Bird Population - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 09-23-2019, 09:54 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,123 Times in 3,376 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinColorado View Post
One additional factor may be assisting in the decline of the bird population. As I drive across eastern Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas (which I do more frequently and I desire to), I have noticed the exponential increase in the “forests” of giant electric wind turbines scattered across the Great Planes. Don’t you wonder how many of our feathered friends have met their demise colliding with the blades of those giant propellers? Do you think their might be a direct correlation between the increase of such “Green” devices and the decline of the bird population? Just askin.

Some environmental groups have been yelling about this for years.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,293 Times in 5,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
Some environmental groups have been yelling about this for years.
Yes they have , and feral cats are the main reason , but if some one shoots a feral cat these same clowns along with PETA , HSUS will have a hissy fit , want one charged with animal cruelty etc. , I know some people love animals , I do as well , but if they are left unattended or unchaperoned bad things will happen a Cat is the perfect killing machine and will kill just for fun , they have decimated the quail and bird populations more so than any other thing caused by man. JMHO and S/FI!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 11:06 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,269 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinColorado View Post
One additional factor may be assisting in the decline of the bird population. As I drive across eastern Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas (which I do more frequently than I desire to), I have noticed the exponential increase in the “forests” of giant electric wind turbines scattered across the Great Planes. Don’t you wonder how many of our feathered friends have met their demise colliding with the blades of those giant propellers? Do you think their might be a direct correlation between the increase of such “Green” devices and the decline of the bird population? Just askin.
I've noticed a huge decline in bird population well before windfarms. In the seventies an eighties I saw the deminising of huge flocks of migrating birds. Nowadays they are rare. Pesticides, herbicides and loss of beneficial environment is mainly to blame.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to workquik For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 01:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,872 Times in 6,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
You're going to try to convince us that NY is short on nuts?? There is at least one large/cesspool city and one capital that are overflowing.
Ummm...funny, but no. The fruits are in NY. The nuts are in California.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 07:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,218 Times in 4,811 Posts

I have literally tons of birds by me, I put out peanuts for the blue jays and cardinals. I'll shell a bunch for the smaller birds. I put out black sunflower seeds in a feeder, suet cakes in another. People that come over notice how fat my birds are.

The majestic blue jay was all but wiped out by pesticides like DDT, which is now banned. It had an impact on bird eggs in nests. Now I see a powerful resurgence of blue jays, they are a lot of fun to feed and watch. I get a number of woodpeckers, red shouldered black birds from the shore.

I think their habitats are shrinking, I back up to state land on 2 sides of my property, a constant battle to save my property from being taken back. I see zero toads and the last box turtle I saw was in 1996 caught under my fence. Fox and rabbits, lots as well as raccoons. In an eco-system, the first species to vanish are toads and frogs, as they live close to the land and water than anything else.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 08:50 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

If I were a bird, I would fly around NY too... just sayin.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,184 Times in 4,918 Posts

The DDT soft egg claim has been debunked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 10:43 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,311 Times in 8,792 Posts

You know, if you listen to the climate changing people, there's ALWAYS a shortage of XXXX or a dying off of YYYY groups of animals, fish or Tasmanian Orcs. Then they blame these drastic/dramatic changes on man, mankind or pollution caused by people in the U.S. while "nicely forgetting" that Asia and the Indian sub-continent pollute the planet a thousand times worse than we do. In law enforcement we used to call that "selective memory." In the paratroopers we called that "being dumber than a box of rocks."

All of these drama schemes are followed by the usual request meant to separate you from your money to, "...help us fight the causes of all these XXXX going into extinction." So basically, what you're looking at is a neatly wrapped scam, with some letters behind the names of the scam artists, presenting it to you.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 02:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,378 Times in 1,543 Posts

Yeah, me too. For all my hatred of starlings and coyotes, we go through a couple #50 bags of bird seed and a dozen or more fat blocks each winter at the property and the house. Great kitty TV.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 03:25 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,985 Times in 7,509 Posts

I'm extremely skeptical of their numbers. A drop that massive should be extremely obvious to older people. As far as I've seen we appear to have tons of birds. It's hard to imagine supporting a higher number without them starving or humans intentionally feeding them. Is there some other part of the country that used to be swarming but is now devoid of birds? I have a feeling their numbers are exaggerated.

But regardless the formula for a reduction in birds is clear.

Social Justice = Race To Be The Least Normal = More People Unattractive To The Opposite Gender = More People Unable/Unwilling To Find Mates Of Opposite Gender = Less People With Children = More Cat Ladies = More Cats = Less Birds.

So Social Justice is causing birds to go extinct.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 07:07 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,389 Times in 398 Posts

The decline of the bird population apparently doesn't apply to the Humming birds in our area. Every summer we are inundated with the little guys. This summer we went through 100 lbs of sugar while we contributed to their beak decay. It's not unusual for us to have between 30-40 of the little noise makers buzzing around our three feeders. The other species around here seem as plentiful as ever and the deer are so numerous that it's hard to grow a garden they won't eat!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RichardinColorado For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 07:18 PM

When we moved here in the 90’s I loved watching the bats flying in the evening. A few years ago they disappeared. I haven’t seen one. We also had owls, jack rabbits, opossums, herons and even badgers occasionally. Every pond had turtles and bullfrogs. Now I see a jackrabbit every couple of months. No turtles ever. We have lots crows and a few blue jays. Our neighborhood hasn’t changed, they’re just gone. Even bees. Colony collapse is very common the last few years.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ready?mom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 07:45 PM
Target Shooter

Plenty of birds around me but my property butts against neighbor tree groves.
Also between the wife's flower gardens and our wild prairie (maybe 1/4 acre) we see a lot of bird and insect activity. Humingbirds bees an occasional fox will lay down in our backyard and feel at home.
Deer turkey ect walk through the yard.
SHTF and I'll be eating good.

Miles away are restored wetlands and they are finding birds coming there that are on the endangered list.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoka-hey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 09:26 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,498 Times in 573 Posts

Here in ETex we had quail everywhere in the 60's, no fire ants. Fire ants attack ground nests. Quail have almost disappeared, and dove populations have also dwindled. I also cant help but wonder how much satellite transmissions as well as cell towers impact the wildlife. Hell, I think they even irradiate us humans to some extent, especially those that live close to towers. There is even some evidence that smart meters operate at frequencies that work on the subconscious mind.
Yeah, I know Im a lunatic, but Im a happy lunatic and dont trust them mo-fo's ANY!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 05:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,030 Times in 4,515 Posts

Very species dependent. Some are being decimated by invasive diseases like West Nile and others are flourishing like Canadian Geese.
The Following User Says Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 12:21 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,123 Times in 3,376 Posts

I remember huge flocks of birds migrating on the Mississippi River flyway when I was a kid. Also huge gaggles of geese and lots of ducks in/around the lakes in Minneapolis.

I don't see either the migrating birds in the numbers I used to, or the number of geese and ducks

OTOH, fewer birds means less bird poop to step in
Old 09-26-2019, 01:04 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,908 Times in 1,237 Posts

I don't trust peer-reviewed journals the first thing I check is who funded the study. To much "science" is just faking results to get funding.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim in Illinois For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 02:55 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,477 Times in 5,566 Posts

This.
I would expect that global warming fanatics are involved in anything where a decrease or increase in something has been deemed harmful to life as we know it.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:01 PM
NoMoreClintonsOrBushes

About ten year ago the crows, blackbirds, starlings and grackles would darken the skies from one horizon to the other near the Missouri river on my daily commute, and the woods behind my house was deafening when they roosted there by the millions. Literally.

Then the avian flu came along and wiped them all out. That's how nature deals with overpopulation.

They're coming back now.

Bird populations are cyclical, but there is no money to be made pretending it's not a crisis.

Last edited by mistergorkman; 09-26-2019 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Paragraphs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistergorkman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 07:32 PM
Padre in the woods

Thanked 1,103 Times in 387 Posts

I don't see a decline so much as we've seen a change. The Bluejays, Grackles, and Humming birds are now rare.

However, we're flush with Cardinals, Woodpeckers, tons of English Sparrows, and during the day we hear the screech of hawks, and at night there has to be at least three owls judging by the direction of sound... sometimes answering each other.

Monarch Butterflies are rare here in western Ohio, where we did have plenty of them 30 years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to FoxtrotVictor1 For This Useful Post: