Storing enough seeds for your neighbors - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 09-22-2019, 12:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,313 Posts
Default Storing enough seeds for your neighbors

Advertise Here

Anyone ever consider storing enough seeds for neighbors? The thought being that if they are able to start gardens, maybe they will not so quickly be eager to raid yours.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 12:52 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
Anyone ever consider storing enough seeds for neighbors? The thought being that if they are able to start gardens, maybe they will not so quickly be eager to raid yours.
This is the delema faced by every "prepper " Unless you have figured out how to have an invisible garden you will have to be willing to kill any one who wants your veggies 0r help the neighbors out and where does that " help " end / stop . For some it will not be a tough call - you know the guy who says "step one foot on my property and your dead " type . If any one has a plan other than kill them or share with them I would like to hear it .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckyfasteddie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 12:56 PM
I wasn't the Executioner

Thanked 1,119 Times in 331 Posts

Shared seeds should be doled out sparingly. In my experience people do not value what is simply given to them. Cant count the vegetable seedlings, nice rooted fruit trees and house plants Ive given awayo ver the years and then see them dead on their porch later. I no longer give things away.

Now you sell it to them and they take care of it.

People don't value what is given to them. They must pay to value it.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2019, 12:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,204 Times in 5,724 Posts

Either sell or let them work for it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 01:01 PM
Beware of the dog!

Thanked 1,736 Times in 697 Posts

I have a few quick thoughts. First we might want to wait for the first wave of people to go away, whether the relocate or die off. Second, There probably needs to be a plan for greenhouses because we can't expect the need to arise only in the spring. Third, Sharing seeds with them may encourage them to invite friends/family over to share the new found wealth of seeds and we may soon be outnumbered.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to INresponse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 01:30 PM

We started a seed library for our community this past year. See the thread in this subforum from earlier in the season.

Great way to meet new gardeners and get access to experience from local growers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 05:32 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,879 Times in 2,823 Posts

If you got a gardening club or an association, saving seeds to share might be a good idea. But really now, I've never had a neighbor that didn't want me to grow everything for them. Pick em and delivery them too.
You might even con them into guarding your garden from marauders. If you raise a few vegetables and they know it, you might as well invite them for supper.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 07:26 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bits View Post
If you got a gardening club or an association, saving seeds to share might be a good idea. But really now, I've never had a neighbor that didn't want me to grow everything for them. Pick em and delivery them too.
You might even con them into guarding your garden from marauders. If you raise a few vegetables and they know it, you might as well invite them for supper.
So you are saying invite over so they do not come take what you have. If that is the case inviting them over can put them off their guard and give you a tactical advantage.
The Following User Says Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,924 Posts

Because owning seeds equals its going to grow into a huge food source?

A solid garden takes minimum 3 years to figure out what grows well and doesn't. This mythical prepper novel of tossing seeds into the ground and six months later you have a abundance of food is a myth.

Your neighbor wont care and will just kill you for your food.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 08:28 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,430 Times in 453 Posts

Honestly it's a great idea and pretty easy to get your neighbors involved in. Lowes sells a City Pickers self watering container for $20 or so.....this make it super easy to grow basic veggie....spring mix and cherry tomatoes are a virtual layup with these containers.

One you feed a couple of Cherry tomatoes to you neighbors they will be hooked. This is the introduction to growing you will need with a little encouragement in the spring " hey what are you planting this month?"

My seed source is Ohio Heirloom Seeds they have the best variety and highest quality seeds I can find.

Ultimately in the event of an emergency you are going to want your neighbors to have some skills.

Having seed for them.....even if you give them a few here and there during the year is a great insurance policy.

Nobody needs to know you are a prepper.

HK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henrykjr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 09:07 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,879 Times in 2,823 Posts

Quote:
So you are saying invite over so they do not come take what you have. If that is the case inviting them over can put them off their guard and give you a tactical advantage.
I was being sarcastic.

But the advantage should be, how everybody can work together. You grow a garden, and they can do what, to support you?

Its, you scratching their back and they yours.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 09:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,089 Times in 998 Posts

I have pondered this.

For you folks up north -- it might be moot as 'whatever' happens at the wrong time of the year for planting. Example, it is already September 22nd. What can be planted in your area that can be harvested before the second front [am assuming you could cover stuff for the first frost which is often light]? And when can you finally start planting in the spring? Who will still be around? Or physically able to do gardening?

Now, this is start of fall gardening for us. [and the end of the second corn planting season for FLA].

I know whom among my neighbors already garden [even if they just spring garden, flower garden, container garden, veggie garden [as opposed to root gardening].] So I would take them into consideration first.

I have also contemplated neighbors with nice 'sun lite' areas in their backyards. Easier for them to hid/protect. So -- they are a good seed give-to should I so decide.

The later winter garden and the spring garden is the dry season. If whomever doesn't have a functioning well or a close pond, and isn't willing to haul the water why give them seeds?

Plus, I wouldn't mind giving seeds in exchange for someone doing a little water hauling for me during the dry season.

One of my worries about the seed issue -- is that if people are really hungry they are going to eat everything and not let any of their plants go to seed for their next planting. Am I going to be the seed producer for everyone?

I wouldn't mind handing out seeds to someone I trusted on the deal that I'd get 'x' amount of their crop for my eating. And then keep producing seed on my property. But I got to eat too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Florida Jean For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 09:24 PM

Default I choose to help.

I have stored away seeds for my neighbors. They are all of varieties known to grow well in my area, open pollinated or heirloom, and are carefully desiccated and sealed away in mason jars in a deep freezer. They will be viable long after I'm gone. I have enough seeds in storage to plant 20 large gardens, which happens to match the number of neighbors that I have nearby.

My faith requires me to help my neighbors in times of need. I am not given the option to turn away friends and neighbors when I have the capacity and resources to help them. Obviously, I cannot be expected to feed twenty families - there is no way I could afford to purchase and store all that food for an indefinite period of time, but enough seed for 20 gardens does not cost much and, if properly prepared, is easy to process and store for extremely long periods of time. I look at it as a compromise. I may not be able to feed 20 families, but I can certainly help them to feed themselves.

We all know, by examining history, that food is often used as a weapon against people. It happened to the Kulaks in Russia, the Armenians in Turkey, the Jews in Germany, and even here in the America's during the Revolutionary and Civil wars. It has happened before and it will happen again. Scripture warns us that food will be used as a weapon during the end times, when the State will determine who eats and who dies.

When the chips are down and everything is going against you, having a couple of pounds of seeds can often make the difference between hope and despair, health and disease, life and death.

Yes, I agree, most people don't know how to garden today. Building a good garden with good soil takes hard work, knowledge, experience, and time. But does the lack of one or more of these factors mean that we shouln't even try? Are we to give up simply because the work is hard and the odds are against us? My neighbors may not have all these things, but they do have adequate amounts of land, reasonably good soil, my seed, and my knowledge and experience. That must count for something. It may be rough going for the first year or two, but with perseverance and hard work, we have a better chance of surviving than if we simply gave up and did nothing. Besides, gardening will give the community a focus and something to do, which will help in times of stress, uncertainty, and adversity.

Helping one's neighbors certainly does imply the presence of risk. Working with other people under adverse circumstances is always risky, especially so when they are tired and desperate and hungry. Yes, they might invite family over (who wouldn't?). Yes, they might covet your food, and want to take it. Yes, they might even decide to take your life and everything you've worked on for years. The thing to remember here is that nobody gets off this planet alive. Everybody dies at some point, sooner or later, so looking at things from the long point of view may sometimes be useful. If I am destined to die while trying to help my neighbors in a difficult situation then I will at least be able to stand before my Creator in the knowledge that I was, in fact, doing what He told me to do. I will then leave the whole mess in His hands and go find something else to do. In the end I can't and won't stand before my Creator and have to explain why I didn't or couldn't help when such help was so easy to provide, and especially in the face of His explicitly adverse command.

There are those who will think that I might be neglecting my own family by offering to share seed. Not so. long term seed storage is only one facet of my preparations. My family has already been (I hope) adequately provided for, and my contribution to my neighbors well-being, I believe, actually contributes to my families prospects of success and survival.

There are no easy paths here. All paths involve risk and peril and are fraught with danger from many different directions. Some choose to hide their resources and training and capabilities out of fear, abandoning their neighbors to whatever the fates may dictate. In so doing they also fail to realize the possible rewards and benefits in long-term cooperation with others, and lose out on those rewards and benefits in the end. I, on the other hand, feel that the greatest probability of long-term success includes the willing help and cooperation of my neighbors, so I can't go this direction. I choose to help my neighbors, and I choose to do what my Lord told me to do.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rlp2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 09:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,101 Posts

I don't have near enough money, time or space to prep all the things I need/want for my intimidate family. I couldn't imagine trying to store stuff for my neighbors.

The only exception to that that I have thought I may do is to store ears of dried field corn. Then if there ever is a true SHTF that affects the area and makes food scarce I would empty my kitchen of all other food.

That way if someone comes asking or demanding food I can show them my cupboards are bare too and that all we are eating is corn. Then I can offer them a few ears, tell them how to grind it between a couple bricks and boil it into mush. That way I could protect my food, make them think I am almost as bad off as them and give them something.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 09:41 PM
Survivor

There one recurrent issue that is raised and that is that assuming the neighbors actually plant the seeds, will they be successful.
What can be done to help them be successful. First relative to the donated seeds is start with cultivars that will do well under my and their conditions that should be similar. After that it depends on exactly how much time and material do I want to invest. Will I use my equipment to break up the sod of their back yards? Sites over the septic tanks fields will likely be good gardening sites. Will I help them take down shading trees etc.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,101 Posts

If a person did want to store seeds for their neighbors, what would you store? In my area pumpkins and tomatoes and some peppers will literately grow them self's. All you have to do is not mow them over and they will produce. Most types of beans will also grow with very little maintenance as long as you can keep the weeds down for the first couple weeks of their growth. I think, wheat, rye, and oats will grow on their own quite well if you broadcast them over you lawn thick enough.

I can't think of much else that can be stored as seeds that require almost no care and will produce food a single season after planting.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 09:58 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
If a person did want to store seeds for their neighbors, what would you store? In my area pumpkins and tomatoes and some peppers will literately grow them self's. All you have to do is not mow them over and they will produce. Most types of beans will also grow with very little maintenance as long as you can keep the weeds down for the first couple weeks of their growth. I think, wheat, rye, and oats will grow on their own quite well if you broadcast them over you lawn thick enough.

I can't think of much else that can be stored as seeds that require almost no care and will produce food a single season after planting.
I second the bean type plants and they are nutritious. Tomatoes can be difficult, but peppers will grow.
I plan for myself to try out root crops like peanuts, sweet potatoes, and others. But sweet potatoes and some of the others are not generally planted as seeds.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:00 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,476 Times in 5,565 Posts

We save many times the amount needed for our own use and give away some as requested to friends and neighbors.
The Following User Says Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 03:57 PM
gard'ner

Quote:
Anyone ever consider storing enough seeds for neighbors?
Every time I eat a watermelon, I save all the seed.
When I plant sweet corn and green beans / cow peas, there is always an abundance of mature seed at the end of the season... far more than I will ever use in my garden... Likewise, the turnip and rutabaga and kale.

While the chickens and cats do eat seeds... I still have jars and jars full of seed that will get too old to germinate long before I eventually clean house and toss them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
If a person did want to store seeds for their neighbors, what would you store? In my area pumpkins and tomatoes and some peppers will literately grow them self's. All you have to do is not mow them over and they will produce.
Always a good idea to encourage landrace crops... The more edibles that I grow, which don't need to put effort into... the better.

Takes more effort in my area to find cultivars that self sow while tolerating the drought / humidity that are a normal part of gardening in the sandhills... but... when I find something that wants to grow... I totally make room for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to st0n3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 10:58 PM
I wasn't the Executioner

Thanked 1,119 Times in 331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessdriver View Post
Because owning seeds equals its going to grow into a huge food source?

A solid garden takes minimum 3 years to figure out what grows well and doesn't. This mythical prepper novel of tossing seeds into the ground and six months later you have a abundance of food is a myth.

Your neighbor wont care and will just kill you for your food.
Then you kill him first. Pre emptive strike. Then SSS and maintain your opsecs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post: