60 grain v-max really that good? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2019, 08:40 AM
AK103K's Avatar
AK103K AK103K is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6,530
Thanks: 6,463
Thanked 10,852 Times in 4,404 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
How about using just a standard 55 grain soft point? I know out of my 18” barrel it gets about 2950 but how much reduction do you get out of a 10.5 or 7.5” barrel? I know you wouldn’t get the massive expansion of a Varmint load or even a hollow point but would it even expand much with such a small critter?
Ive shot a number of things with my 10.5" AR, with the same Nosler BT load, and at around 50 yards, the results were basically the same as those out of my 16" guns. Pretty destructive. Not saying thats what youd get at longer ranges though.

I think the BT type bullets make a big difference too. I used the Hornady version of them with my 17's, and had similar results, just not as dramatic as the 223's. They also tore things up a good bit more than the HP type bullets in the same caliber.

One thing I did notice with them though, on one shot through some light vegetation with the 17, was the bullet appeared to upset on something before it got to the bunny I was shooting through the garden on the other side. It still killed it, but it was basically intact. Nothing explosive. It looked like the bullet was in pieces when it hit, and just shredded its head.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 12:29 PM
America's Patriot America's Patriot is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,269
Thanks: 3,002
Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts
Default

Regardless, a pistol shot from an elevated position and at that distance is a good shot. It may not have been an exact shot, but you hit the target and were able to follow through once you got down there. Count it as a win... no fault of the shooter, firearm or ammo.

This ammo, by design, has explosive expansion after an inch, so the fact that it didn't exit, doesn't surprise me. His insides were shredded by the shrapnel and massive bleeding caused by the concussion. If he weren't so large, he probably would have popped.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2019, 05:17 PM
fragout's Avatar
fragout fragout is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,974
Thanks: 5,130
Thanked 6,194 Times in 3,213 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
I think your beloved and revered .308 may be overkill in this varmint discussion.

I mean I’m sure it will work...but jeepers. .308 at 120 feet on a 3 lb critter? You’d get blood mist and other bodily crap on your scope.
Dont say that too often or the myth will become real. You gotta be real close to get any blood on ur panties. (Inside of 10 inches via deer in below pic.)
Does the other pic count? Lol. ( Still ate that bunny later. )

Besides, If your worried about blood getting on your equipment then hunting/ pest control may not be for you. ( A tad different than buying meat at a grocery store)

11B
Attached Images
  
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-28-2019, 05:24 PM
fragout's Avatar
fragout fragout is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,974
Thanks: 5,130
Thanked 6,194 Times in 3,213 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Ive shot a number of things with my 10.5" AR, with the same Nosler BT load, and at around 50 yards, the results were basically the same as those out of my 16" guns. Pretty destructive. Not saying thats what youd get at longer ranges though.

I think the BT type bullets make a big difference too. I used the Hornady version of them with my 17's, and had similar results, just not as dramatic as the 223's. They also tore things up a good bit more than the HP type bullets in the same caliber.

One thing I did notice with them though, on one shot through some light vegetation with the 17, was the bullet appeared to upset on something before it got to the bunny I was shooting through the garden on the other side. It still killed it, but it was basically intact. Nothing explosive. It looked like the bullet was in pieces when it hit, and just shredded its head.
Same issues here with 223 and 22 250. Especially during night hunts where its much more difficult to pick out things that can end up between the muzzle and critter.

11B
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Offrink Offrink is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 1,571
Thanks: 11,186
Thanked 2,059 Times in 935 Posts
Default

Just finished loading a mag of 55 grain tsx for the next time.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 11:49 AM
iyaayas iyaayas is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: the midwest
Age: 43
Posts: 9,411
Thanks: 16,681
Thanked 18,783 Times in 6,175 Posts
Default

Seems odd to me. Ive killed dozens of coyotes using a 62 grain vmax. Course I loaded it myself and load that one on the hot side.

Average coyotes down here are 40-50 pounds. Seen some big ones but could never get a shot at them.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2019, 02:48 PM
Offrink Offrink is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 1,571
Thanks: 11,186
Thanked 2,059 Times in 935 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaayas View Post
Seems odd to me. Ive killed dozens of coyotes using a 62 grain vmax. Course I loaded it myself and load that one on the hot side.

Average coyotes down here are 40-50 pounds. Seen some big ones but could never get a shot at them.
I’m sure it would have killed them. Just wouldn’t have an exit wound or drop them on the spot. If you are looking for pelts this is probably what you actually want. The round would just explode. Plus being out of a 7.5” barrel really keeps the speed down. Most reloading books show the speed out of a 26” barrel. So if the books say it would reach 2900 FPS maybe it would get 2000.

I don’t bash the load, just not the best for a pistol length barrel. I had thought about this for a hd load. I’ve changed my mind and switched to a 300 blackout. I like to know what works in the real world out of different barrels/guns. I think that no one would really enjoy any vmax hitting any body part. Even if they only penetrate 5-6 of body.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2019, 06:49 PM
iyaayas iyaayas is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: the midwest
Age: 43
Posts: 9,411
Thanks: 16,681
Thanked 18,783 Times in 6,175 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
I’m sure it would have killed them. Just wouldn’t have an exit wound or drop them on the spot. If you are looking for pelts this is probably what you actually want. The round would just explode. Plus being out of a 7.5” barrel really keeps the speed down. Most reloading books show the speed out of a 26” barrel. So if the books say it would reach 2900 FPS maybe it would get 2000.

I don’t bash the load, just not the best for a pistol length barrel. I had thought about this for a hd load. I’ve changed my mind and switched to a 300 blackout. I like to know what works in the real world out of different barrels/guns. I think that no one would really enjoy any vmax hitting any body part. Even if they only penetrate 5-6 of body.
No i don't care about the pelts. I'd trap them if that's what I was after.

The only one I've shot that wasn't drt ( dead right there ) was a poor hit on a running animal. I've opened up a few just to see the wound cavity and the V max delivers.

No exit wounds that's true. That round dumps it all inside. I've never actually measured but if I had to guess I'd say between six and eight inches of penetration judging by eyeballing only.

Next one I take I'll take a closer look.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Offrink Offrink is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 1,571
Thanks: 11,186
Thanked 2,059 Times in 935 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaayas View Post
No i don't care about the pelts. I'd trap them if that's what I was after.

The only one I've shot that wasn't drt ( dead right there ) was a poor hit on a running animal. I've opened up a few just to see the wound cavity and the V max delivers.

No exit wounds that's true. That round dumps it all inside. I've never actually measured but if I had to guess I'd say between six and eight inches of penetration judging by eyeballing only.

Next one I take I'll take a closer look.
Pictures too! Who doesn’t like pictures?
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 02:25 PM
Inazone's Avatar
Inazone Inazone is offline
Fenced In
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 3,095
Thanks: 1,203
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,806 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
I think that no one would really enjoy any vmax hitting any body part. Even if they only penetrate 5-6 of body.
This was my reasoning for stocking up on American Eagle AR223 50gr "gray tip" varmint ammo after buying my first AR15, but after comparing recovered bullets to various soft point options, I either sold off or shot through my remaining supply. Would it inflict pain and potentially lethal wounds? Sure, but the prospect of relying on it under challenging conditions led me to explore more advantageous alternatives, especially when the price of dedicated varmint ammo versus that of defensive ammo (in terms of .223, anyway) is quite close.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 03:47 PM
ajole ajole is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,702
Thanks: 7,676
Thanked 21,864 Times in 6,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Dont say that too often or the myth will become real. You gotta be real close to get any blood on ur panties. (Inside of 10 inches via deer in below pic.)
Does the other pic count? Lol. ( Still ate that bunny later. )

Besides, If your worried about blood getting on your equipment then hunting/ pest control may not be for you. ( A tad different than buying meat at a grocery store)

11B
Way to squash my hyperbolic imagery...and the joke.

Seriously...sometimes you are way too serious.

Turning a question about shooting 3 lb varmints with a 5.56 at 120 feet into a discussion of .308 capabilities at 100 + yards is just a bit over the top.

I think we should call you Burt. As in Burt Gummer.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 09:59 AM
Offrink Offrink is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 1,571
Thanks: 11,186
Thanked 2,059 Times in 935 Posts
Default

Checked the woodchuck carcass out. Nothing but wet skin left and no easily recognizable bullet fragments. With that said the side that was facing me had a slightly larger than expected hole, probably due to decomp and drying of the skin, and a 8” hole on the other side. It appears that there wasn’t a single hole on the far side but probably more of a fine shot pattern as the fragments passed through/damaged the skin. While I expected a baseball size explosion or some significant pass through, this wasn’t as bad as I thought.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net