Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-22-2019, 08:07 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 9,454 Times in 3,419 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Nomad View Post
If you are serious about a practical "Rambo knife", you need the one form the previous movie when he was in Burma. It's basically a hammered leaf spring with an edge ground into it.

Out of the entire movie franchise, that is the only one you can actually trust your life to.

In the true spirit of Rambo though, you should make your own, just like he did in the movie.

http://www.hibbenknives.com/Gil-Hibb...IV-Bowie-Knife
I have one of those, but its a factory second I got cheap.
When you factor in how heavy it is, its more of a
short Machete. Its great for hacking at roots when
you have little space, for carrying around your
better off with that Cold steel Bushman that's
already been mentioned.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 08:37 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,142 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post
I have one of those, but its a factory second I got cheap.
When you factor in how heavy it is, its more of a
already been mentioned.
True. But the OP was specifically asking about "Rambo" knives. The Rambo 4 knife, to me, is the most practical out of the bunch.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:45 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,429 Times in 453 Posts

Lots of knife experts here on these boards. They use them and have real world experience.

My suggestion is to spend some time educating yourself on quality brands of knives and what best uses are. There are a million youtube videos on the topic.

Amazon will give you a good way to cheat. Search fixed blade or full tang knife as a term. Filter by 4 stars and above. Then filter by average customer review. Look at nothing under $30 as a rule of thumb. Then vefirfy the reviews in the feedback section.

Here is what that result looks like:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fixed+bla...st_review-rank

HK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2019, 09:31 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,550 Times in 20,395 Posts

This Schrade might fit the bill.
I would strip the stupid coating off it.

https://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF3...ustomerReviews
Old 09-23-2019, 01:27 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,064 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I was gifted a Leatherman but it is the least used knife or tool in my possession. The lack of ergonomics makes the blade near useless. The needle nosed pliers are about all I use and the handles are a killer.

A small Swiss Army knife is always in my pocket and I find the little scissors, the tooth pick, tweezers and nail file to be useful as well as the blade for small stuff.

Once someone asked if anyone had a knife to cut some cord. They laughed when I offered it but after using it said that little thing is sharp.
I seldom use the knife blade on my multi tool. Because I am almost always carryIng a knife that deploys faster. In fact it has 2 and I’d probably trade one for another tool of some kind.

But I am constantly using the jewelers screwdriver ( just broke it and need to fix ) the file , the flat head ( mostly as a pry tool for opening things I work on ) the pliers and surprisingly the saw.
I honestly use the saw to cut hard plastic cases when removing small electronic parts from them. It works better than the serrated or plain edge blade and it’s smaller than a “ real Saw “ so I can use it in smaller places.

I’ve also used it to cut wood a couple of times. It is also great to scratch a mark in to start a cut with an electric hand saw.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 08:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,872 Times in 4,191 Posts

Large knives are for experts or mall ninjas. The majority of actual knife-users rarely carry a fixed-blade knife with a blade over 4"; even in combat. Large knives are difficult to carry, heavy (unless you're just keeping it in your truck or on your 4-wheeler), and cumbersome if you're patrolling with combat kit or backpacking long distances. It's just much easier to carry a blade with 4-5" on your person and with the right techniques it will do 90% of your typical "survival" cutting tasks.

I do love large knives and have a dozen or so quality, some custom big blades. It takes a lot of effort, practice, trial and error to maximize what a big blade can do. I'm actually more inclined to have a 12" machete in my pack than a custom 9+inch "survival" knife.

Biggest issue with a compass attached to the knife is that the compass is often crap and can might give you a bad azimuth if too close to the steel of the blade. Which often means they're imbedded in aluminum which is weaker material for a hard use knife.

If you're deadest on a hollow-handle "Rambo" knife, my only recommendation would be from Martin Knives (and pair it with a good compass as a separate item):

Just a reminder that if you can't "survive" with something like an ESEE 3 or 4, a larger knife isn't going to help you.

ROCK6
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 12:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,213 Times in 642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I was gifted a Leatherman but it is the least used knife or tool in my possession. The lack of ergonomics makes the blade near useless. The needle nosed pliers are about all I use and the handles are a killer.
I have two Leathermans, PST2 that cannot be used effectively without gloves. The handles are sharp. Later I bought Leatherman Wave 2 that has rounded edges. It is actually usable I carry both in my tool bag, since sometimes I need two pairs of pliers at once. Also if someone wants to loan a tool, I give the PST2. It always comes back like a boomerang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post
I have one of those, but its a factory second I got cheap. When you factor in how heavy it is, its more of a
already been mentioned.
There are three large local knives worth advertising...
A large puukko, called Leuku. It's a traditional laplander's tool, good to hack small trees and reindeer bones etc. Usually a regular puukko was carried too, in the example picture they both fit in the same sheath.
https://www.kalastus.com/keskustelu/.../25/217374.jpg
(it's just someone's for sale picture I found online)

Hukari, which origins come from hundreds of years ago when farmers would return from the battlefield, they would bring home broken swords. Again, it is more a hacking tool than cutting. A modern version can be found here:
http://www.taiter.fi/hukariknife.html
This used to be a bestseller (cheap but good) but then manufacturer switched handle material from rubber to hard plastic. Meh.

Third one is Skrama, which is pretty much a modernized version of hukari above. It's development came out not long after hukari handle material was changed. Wonder why.
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...on-steel/30189
It's Varusteleka's in-house development and as far as I know, it should be pretty good at what it is.
https://weekendwoodsman.wordpress.co...ma-bush-knife/

Common to all three is that their blade is thick so you can chop wood by hitting the blade with a tree branch. Or cut whatever animal (moose or reindeer) you hunted into portable pieces. Like a thick and short machete, since we don't have that much bush to clear anyways
The Following User Says Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 01:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
I seldom use the knife blade on my multi tool. Because I am almost always carryIng a knife that deploys faster. In fact it has 2 and I’d probably trade one for another tool of some kind.

But I am constantly using the jewelers screwdriver ( just broke it and need to fix ) the file , the flat head ( mostly as a pry tool for opening things I work on ) the pliers and surprisingly the saw.
I honestly use the saw to cut hard plastic cases when removing small electronic parts from them. It works better than the serrated or plain edge blade and it’s smaller than a “ real Saw “ so I can use it in smaller places.

I’ve also used it to cut wood a couple of times. It is also great to scratch a mark in to start a cut with an electric hand saw.
A good tip on the saw, I got my Leatherman out to check it out but no saw. I think mine was the original I've had it for around 20 years.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:59 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,922 Times in 7,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post

Just a reminder that if you can't "survive" with something like an ESEE 3 or 4, a larger knife isn't going to help you.

ROCK6
WISE ADVICE......

My EDC is a Benchmade folder. High quality, compact, lightweight, assisted opening in a slit second, holds a razors edge, more than adequate for most tasks, self defense, around camp, in the woods, survival or otherwise.

Of course, certain knives are better at specific tasks, if you are dressing out a cow/deer/elk/moose a good skinning knife is best, if you are dressing out a bunch of salmon, a fillet type knife is best, ETC, ETC.

Ponder the Lewis & Clark crew utilized a knife on the order of one below, except they were high carbon steel, rather than stainless steel. The Lewis & Clark expedition was a lesson in survival, in the extreme & that type knife did the job darn well.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,337 Posts

My Randall has a six inch blade but the first inch is a notch for the forefinger for whittling and other close work. However I more often use my five inch blade Mora or my Buck folding hunter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190923_134206 - Edited.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	292042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190923_134226 - Edited.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	292044  
Old 09-23-2019, 02:49 PM
VIP Member

I have two primary fixed blade knives right now. An essee laser strike and an jungalas 2. I also have a hallow handle cold steel with cotton balls and a couple single use Vaseline packs in the handle. That’s a back up I keep in an emergency kit.

The jungalas 2 stays in the vehicle or on the pack (or at home). It is useful if you have to chop small logs for a fire or to build a shelter. . Safer than a hatchet lighter than an axe, and more versatile than both. Of course for building anything a folding saw wins every time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 03:09 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Of course for building anything a folding saw wins every time.
While I will always recommend at least having a fixed blade when in the outdoors (and a good folder and multitool/SAK as your EDC), the next best tool is a saw. In fact, I pretty much have a Bahco or Silky saw in every bag.

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 04:23 PM
Prepared

I didn't think I needed another knife- til I read this thread and some how ended up here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791M2C3T...237WDMOII5ETJ&
41 reviews and all 5 stars.

This one will be here tomorrow...
Old 09-23-2019, 05:42 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnepig View Post
I didn't think I needed another knife- til I read this thread and some how ended up here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791M2C3T...237WDMOII5ETJ&
41 reviews and all 5 stars.

This one will be here tomorrow... [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
I’ve been considering a kephart style knife. And I love esee so I’ve been looking at that one too. I’ve heard bad reviews of the scales BUT the knife connection has great g10 replacements that look great. Becker also has his take on the knife the BK62.

My issue is that I really want a stainless knife in that size range. I wish esee would do at least D2 or maybe some of the new rustproof steels that spyderco has been working with.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:00 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,142 Times in 5,323 Posts

For me, a 8" knife is right on the edge of being too big. A 5" knife is too small. But 6" or7" seems about right.

That said, if I had to take one knife over the other, to live in the wilderness with, I would take the 6 or 7" blade. I would make it out of a thicker stock, so it has some weight to it, and has a more severe wedge for splitting. Then I would carry a companion 4" folder.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 07:25 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,831 Times in 10,439 Posts

The more I think about this, the more I realize one hardly needs a knife for camping. There are far more effective wood processing tools than a knife. If you are fishing and plan to eat them, I guess a fillet knife would come in handy.

A survival knife then is minimalist. Something that "can" do what needs done - but far less efficiently than full size axes, chain saws, etc. Just the other day I quartered a piece of plywood with a full size axe. It would take 20x longer with the best knife. Yesterday, I split a meter long long, half a meter in diameter. It took only about 12 swings of the axe to get it fire ready.

I'd still be working on it if I used a survival knife. Of course, the weight of all these other tools make it impractical for being on the go. However, at a BOL, all these other tools ought to be considered for their benefits.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 08:16 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,550 Times in 20,395 Posts

There are many different tools to choose from according to your plans.
The large survival knife might be fitting for a short term bag, Where wood processing might be a remote possibility.
A large heavy knife, while rugged, is inefficient for most knife tasks.

If you know you will be processing a lot of wood, then some sort of 1.5 - 2 lb head ax probably should be carried, along with a smaller 3-4 inch knife.

Cold Steel TrailBoss or CRKT Chogan
https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-Woods-Ch...s%2C211&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-CS...9284003&sr=8-2

If in the tropics, a good parang or machete might be what you want.

Probably should carry a saw as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 08:57 PM
VIP Member

In a “perfect world “ you would have a saw , an axe , a large chopper and a small companion knife ( 3.5-5 inches ). But that’s a lot of gear. I’d probably rather try and make finer cuts with jungalas 2 than to try and chop limbs with my laser strike. BUT I am much more likely to need the smaller knife than the bigger so I’m safer with the smaller ( but thick and tough ) blade. Plus the 4 inch is easier to keep sharp with a small stone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 05:37 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Nomad View Post
For me, a 8" knife is right on the edge of being too big. A 5" knife is too small. But 6" or7" seems about right.

That said, if I had to take one knife over the other, to live in the wilderness with, I would take the 6 or 7" blade. I would make it out of a thicker stock, so it has some weight to it, and has a more severe wedge for splitting. Then I would carry a companion 4" folder.
Ironically, I've moved away from the 6-7" blades (except for one, the Kellam Ranger Puukko). I very much prefer a belt knife with a 5.5" or less blade as I've still able to do everything I need without the extra two inch or two. However, for me, that extra inch or two makes belt carry too cumbersome for me to the point I notice, the knife gets in the way, etc. I'm not against a 6-7" bladed knife, I just found they didn't fit me well.

On the larger spectrum, I don't feel the benefits of a larger knife until blade lengths exceed 9" (one exception is the Fallkniven A2; a very compact 8" bladed knife). I have to make a concerted effort to carry a large fixed blade though, and I personally need a carry system that will integrated with what I'm doing; they aren't "belt" knives for me.

If forced to choose one cutting tool, I would almost always choose a large fixed bladed knife/machete; fortunately that isn't the case. I've just used a large knife (and machete) far more than an axe, and my skill level is just more suited to using a knife over an axe, but I wouldn't feel under-tooled with a large fixed bladed knife, machete, or axe. Pairing a larger chopper with even something as ubiquitous as a SAK makes a very capable duo that is often only limited by the imagination and skill of the user.

The reality is that if I'm in the outdoors, I will have a slightly more diverse selection of tools with the centerpiece being a 4-5" bladed belt knife. I did a career where I daily carried a fixed blade, folding knife, and multitool and that trio was on my person when in the South American jungles, all over CONUS training areas, and both around the Northern Africa, Iraq, and Afghanistan. My only point being, that "EDC" was something I could integrate regardless of the mission or activity, and was able to keep on my person pretty much 24/7.

For more diverse "support" tools, I would prioritize a good Saw first, chopper (large knife, machete, kukri, axe/hawk) second; and an eTool of some type last. If we're talking about a pack and carrying the load, it would be a large knife or machete, and a saw; those two additions to my EDC would be enough for me to pretty much survive most locations in the world if my other gear was appropriately suited.

It's always a balance of "having the right tool" and carrying a realistic amount of tool-weight on your person or in your pack. It's easy to say "pick the right tool", but when you start talking pack weight, you quickly learn how to maximize the capabilities of fewer choices and improve your skill to work-around harder tasks more suited to larger/more niche tools.

Quote:
In a “perfect world “ you would have a saw , an axe , a large chopper and a small companion knife ( 3.5-5 inches ). But that’s a lot of gear. I’d probably rather try and make finer cuts with jungalas 2 than to try and chop limbs with my laser strike. BUT I am much more likely to need the smaller knife than the bigger so I’m safer with the smaller ( but thick and tough ) blade. Plus the 4 inch is easier to keep sharp with a small stone.
Having seen even young teens handle a machete in South America, a larger blade can do vastly more than most think possible. There's a reason the typical machete (often the shorter 12" bladed version) is often touted as the ultimate survival tool in certain circles (which is also what inspired the Junglas, or in my case, the original RTAK from Livesay knives). I'm very much an advocate for the (typically) inexpensive 12-14" machete:

ROCK6
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 08:07 PM
Prepared

Oh yeah, this is a REAL nice knife, I thought I wouldn't like the handle= I was wrong, this might be my new favorite... Amazon Prime had this on my doorstep in 16 hours. This will be another 5 star rating for this knife.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0924191834a.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	292068  
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnepig For This Useful Post: