Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-20-2019, 10:44 PM

Default Good knife for camping / survival

Advertise Here

Hi folks,

I was watching Rambo 1/2 before seeing the new movie, and I really liked the knife he was using in both movies. Both seemed to have a compass in the hilt. I was wondering where I could get a knife that looked like those that would actually be usable in an emergency or while camping. I saw some replicas on Amazon but I seriously doubt their usefulness, and the Jimmy Lile knife is over a thousand dollars, which is ridiculous. Or should I just get a Kabar knife?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 11:52 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 2,997 Times in 893 Posts

Get a good knife and a good compass. They usually don't come together.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jlrhiner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 11:55 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,099 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1701 View Post
Hi folks,

I was watching Rambo 1/2 before seeing the new movie, and I really liked the knife he was using in both movies. Both seemed to have a compass in the hilt. I was wondering where I could get a knife that looked like those that would actually be usable in an emergency or while camping. I saw some replicas on Amazon but I seriously doubt their usefulness, and the Jimmy Lile knife is over a thousand dollars, which is ridiculous. Or should I just get a Kabar knife?
Esee laser strike.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2019, 12:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
Esee laser strike.
https://eseeknives.com/sites/default...ser-strike.pdf

It may not look as cool as the Rambo knives but may be more practical ($102.93 on Amazon).
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 12:57 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,159 Times in 8,885 Posts

Get a multi-tool like a Leatherman wave. Then get a sheath knife - full tang at least 3/16th inch thick. A good compass to back up the one in your Casio solar Pathfinder watch (most useful feature is the tracking barometer) storms will not sneak up on you.

2 good knives are better than one best in the world. Have a way(s) to keep them sharp.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 01:04 AM
Prepared

first question is what do you want the knife to do?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alco141 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 01:12 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
Esee laser strike.
https://eseeknives.com/sites/default...ser-strike.pdf

It may not look as cool as the Rambo knives but may be more practical ($102.93 on Amazon).
I like mine. I think it’s better than the esee 4 also.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,079 Times in 6,629 Posts

Harbor Freight has exactly what you're looking for at about $7.99.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 02:15 AM
Hunter/Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRyan View Post
Harbor Freight has exactly what you're looking for at about $7.99.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yep, buy a machete and an axe for about 12 bucks each while you're at HF and your Kit will be set.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 08:42 AM
Prepared

large knives look pretty cool, but the 3-4 inch blades do all the work, over decades i have collected all kinds of blades and machetes, what actually do you need to cut when camping, do you need a 9 inch blade to do this? skills are the most important thing to learn, if you want to try out a large blade i would suggest a inexpensive machete to start with, about 12 inch blade, you can learn to sharpen a blade and how to use it. there seems to be two sets of folks some are the large blade folks , the other are the axe/ hatchet/tomahawk folks. each set likes their particular blade selections, everyone needs to make their own choices, this is done by using the blades rather than me telling you what you need. get a machete, a 4 inch blade, and a small axe or tomahawk. try them out see which you like, which suites your particular needs.

the Rambo knives are more fantasy than function. i have hunted some of the remotest places on earth from arctic to equator, mostly used my 4 inch blade for every day chores and a axe or machete for everything else, i have my items that i would carry in my hunting pack selected carefully, never once did i need a Rambo knife!!!!! in the tropics a machete for a big cutter digger , in the arctic an axe for a big cutter. for a pocket carry survival knife , a one handed Swiss army knife with a saw does the trick. add a ferro rod and i will get along. you can get along well with basic knives and cutting tools if you have skills.

i recommend you get a couple fo books on survival read them, i also bought the hoods woods tapes and watched them and practiced the skills. ron hood was a great guy and had a wealth of knowledge he would share freely i had corresponded over the years with him until his unexpected death, nothing but good things to say about the man. his tapes can teach you skills to healt you get by in the woods.

when i started planning on these remote hunts i realized that there was no 911, i had to learn how to take care fo myself in the wood, i started reading , learning, how to make fire , what i needed to make fire, what i needed to purify water, what i needed to build shelter, how to get food, you cant lose knowledge, you can lose your equipment.

have fun doing this i did!!!

alex
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alco141 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 09:34 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,462 Times in 1,164 Posts

BIG KNIFE
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS9...-cor-ex-sheath

knife with storage in handle
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS9...ath-fire-steel

I have dragged both of them all over NA and they always perform as you could want ANY knife to perform.

I used to have an expensive knife, until I almost lost it in a scree slide in Montana. An original Russel.

So I started looking for inexpensive blades, not CHEAP blades.

For the money you cannot get a better knife. And while they come fairly sharp, if you know how to use a stone you will be cutting yourself faster than you can imagine. SCARY SHARP.....

HOw tough is the Bushman.... I use one for a throwing knife and it has well over 200 throws on it and it is the same as it came out of the box, except for the change in color. And, if you know anything about knives, throwing destroys them.. but not the CS Bushman.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 11:14 AM
Survivor

I have a Randall model 5 but my most used is a smaller Mora.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190921_112304 - Edited.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	291952  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,715 Times in 2,594 Posts

Camping: a swiss army knife or leatherman (i'd suggest the swiss army knife, take one with scissors, it's the thing you'll use most. A leatherman is good, but ultimately heavy for the tool you use. Howmany times do you need a screwdriver bit, metal file, and all those things while camping?).

"Survival": depends what you want to do with it. just a not too big full tang knife can do what you need most times. Hell, the swiss army knife will do more than most big knives, even during "survival" situations. The leatherman can have more use here in urban situations, with the tools you don't use while camping. If you have a bit of care for your stuff and don't try to break it, a Mora is a pretty good knife at a cheap cost which will serve you for a long time, while being pretty light, but not full tang.

"Bushcraft": and get the most bulky knife you can, if you're planning to baton wood and stuff like that, since that's pretty likely to ruin a knife otherwise. Use a small axe or saw to process firewood in a way which doesn't leave you without a cutting tool if it bends, chips, breaks, or ruins the edge that you need to fully regrind your knife every night.
The Following User Says Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 12:10 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,661 Times in 20,431 Posts

Just thought I would mention the often ignored filet knife.
I kept one on the boat in salt water for 20 years and it is still sharp and in good shape.

I was trying to cut some super tough reinforced hose one time upgrading some plumbing on the boat. The big survival knife I had was useless. Too thick a blade, not sharp enough and it kept getting grabbed by the hose material.

Finally I remembered the razor sharp filet knife that was hanging in the galley.
Holy mackeral! That thing cut through that hose like a laser. Made the several cuts needed in just seconds.

It weighs nothing compared to a survival knife, so might want to include one in your pack. it is the knife with a wood handle and a little whale on the blade. Made in Finland.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 10:26 PM

Another good option:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got this one and I love it!
Old 09-21-2019, 11:59 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,940 Times in 7,101 Posts

Benchmade folders never failed me.

SOG fixed blades haven't either

Old 09-22-2019, 03:02 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
Camping: a swiss army knife or leatherman (i'd suggest the swiss army knife, take one with scissors, it's the thing you'll use most. A leatherman is good, but ultimately heavy for the tool you use. Howmany times do you need a screwdriver bit, metal file, and all those things while camping?).

"Survival": depends what you want to do with it. just a not too big full tang knife can do what you need most times. Hell, the swiss army knife will do more than most big knives, even during "survival" situations. The leatherman can have more use here in urban situations, with the tools you don't use while camping. If you have a bit of care for your stuff and don't try to break it, a Mora is a pretty good knife at a cheap cost which will serve you for a long time, while being pretty light, but not full tang.

"Bushcraft": and get the most bulky knife you can, if you're planning to baton wood and stuff like that, since that's pretty likely to ruin a knife otherwise. Use a small axe or saw to process firewood in a way which doesn't leave you without a cutting tool if it bends, chips, breaks, or ruins the edge that you need to fully regrind your knife every night.
I’d say a multi tool with scissors , an awl, file , etc. maybe carry a Swiss with tweezers in pack if your multi tool doesn’t have them. The multi tool is just a better form
Factor for me.

Having pliers really is handy.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:43 AM
Trapper

Thanked 2,197 Times in 659 Posts

So basically if you want a GOOD Rambo style knife for camping or what not, here are some options:

The cheapest knives I know of that are actually worth buying are either the Cold Steel bushman, or the Cold Steel Survival Edge. They cost near to nothing, come with a firesteel and the Edge comes with a mini-survival kit in the handle. They may not seem much but they will do the job out in the field.

Schrade SCHF2SM - it's rather affordable and is sturdy enough, but it's schrade and their heat treatment is a hit and miss. It has some nice reviews and comes with a rather practical sheath so with that price range, it's worth a look.

Boker Plus Apparo - so this looks a bit higher end and costs much more, AND has great reviews, but comes with a 440c steel which is... well... in my honest opinion for that price is not good enough.

If you want to spend some time and effort you should look for Chris Reeve hollow handle knives. I'm not sure they're still in production and most of them are sold as collectable items by now if I remember correctly. They come with an "awesome factor", are rather pricy and come with a just-ok steel but a good heat treatment.

Now after all this - if you want my honest opinion? Forget this hollow handle thing for camping. If you want an all-in-one kit just build your kit around the knife and sheath. Put a small altoids kit with survival gear in it (there are TONS of guides on how to do it online and you're more than welcome to contact me personally if interested) and attach it to the sheath and add some paracord lanyard to the knife's handle and you are good to go.

Just my 2c
Old 09-22-2019, 12:24 PM
Survivor

I was gifted a Leatherman but it is the least used knife or tool in my possession. The lack of ergonomics makes the blade near useless. The needle nosed pliers are about all I use and the handles are a killer.

A small Swiss Army knife is always in my pocket and I find the little scissors, the tooth pick, tweezers and nail file to be useful as well as the blade for small stuff.

Once someone asked if anyone had a knife to cut some cord. They laughed when I offered it but after using it said that little thing is sharp.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:55 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,149 Times in 5,324 Posts

If you are serious about a practical "Rambo knife", you need the one form the previous movie when he was in Burma. It's basically a hammered leaf spring with an edge ground into it.

Out of the entire movie franchise, that is the only one you can actually trust your life to.

In the true spirit of Rambo though, you should make your own, just like he did in the movie.

http://www.hibbenknives.com/Gil-Hibb...IV-Bowie-Knife
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post: