SHTF Long Stick: 700 Rem Long Range 30-06 or Tactical 308 - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 09-26-2019, 02:20 PM
Eh kay vs eh are dood!

Thanked 3,832 Times in 1,624 Posts

Advertise Here

I'm thinking about buying a 6.5 Grendel upper for an AR and keeping it in a gun sock strapped to my pack. Four 24 round mags in mag pouches on the pack for long range stuff.
Once I get set up in a position to do overwatch or hunt I'd swap out uppers.
AR15's are a proven platform, and 6.5 Grendel is a lot lighter than 308 or 30-06 with similar performance out to 800 yards.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,294 Times in 2,452 Posts

Thats the route I am gravatating too myself these days as my neck and shoulder aint the same as it was when I was 19!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 08:50 AM
Near The Glow

Thanked 1,678 Times in 551 Posts

My latest in 6.5 Grendel.

To stay relevant to the topic, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and save up for a Christensen Arms MPR. Very light package in .308 and incredibly accurate.

Someone mentioned the Ruger Precision Rifle but they didn't mention that it's 11 pounds stripped. The Grendel I posted is 11 pounds with scope and ammo, and it feels pretty heavy.... so taking a bolt action that weighs the same, if not heavier? Having it in .308 doesn't outweigh (no pun intended) enough to neglect the Grendel cartridge, which is very capable, as well as in a semi auto platform.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagnumWill For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 11:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,103 Times in 7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledPatriot View Post
I thought about the RPR, but it hasn't had the hell beaten out of it the last twenty years in the services.
Neither has the civilian version of the 700. I’ve had friends break bolt handles off, but that was when Remarlington was still a well known joke.

Also, the Army decided the .308 wasn’t getting it done a few years back, and went to the 300 Winmag, in the same action.

Are you sure you are all about the military setting your bar for you?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 11:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,687 Times in 788 Posts

Both have plenty of ammo in the civilian world, but the military uses 308.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:37 AM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,083 Times in 1,689 Posts

OP

What do you consider long range?
What is the longest distance range you have access to regularly practice on?
What is the longest unobstructed view you have in your neighborhood?
Do you plan on every hunting game with this rifle?
How much are you going to hump this rifle around. (Weight restrictions)

Also, no modern day bolt action PSR will have iron sights as an option. You’ll be hard pressed to find a modern bolt action hunting rifle that offers them either. If you have to have iron sights then you’ll have to have go semi auto something. I’d suggest an an AR-10 with QD scope.

FOR BOLT ACTION:

Forget .308. All the cool long sticks are going 300 PRC. Don’t be that guy’ when the SHTF and long sticks are being whipped out.

Blue printed 700 action with a Bartlein or Hawk Hill Custom barrel. Jewell HVR trigger. Magpul Pro 700 folding stock. Atlas bipod. SPUHR SA-3601 mount.

For a scope: Schmidt & Bender 3-20x50 PM II/LP/MTC/LT w/H58 Reticle

Now your ‘tool’ box will be complete.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:01 AM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 121,675 Times in 24,104 Posts

Quote:
Need a long range stick to fill a hole in the toolbox. My criteria is that whatever I use must have been through a govt testing process( let them burn all the ammo and trash test guns to see when they break). Our scouts used the 700 Rem in the M24 variation, So that fits my criteria.

During the last ammo panic 30-06 was everywhere, no .308 to be found. However, no one makes match 30-06 anymore. Match 308 is common, but will I give up a lot of range going from a 30-06/24-26 inch bbl to a .308/20 inch bbl?

How tough is the Rem 700 Tactical? breakage prone? Any DMR's or scout/snipers here that can give me real world feedback? Glass recommendations?

And yes, I will have iron sights installed, because 1. a chain is only as strong as the fragile glass tube on top of it, and 2. Colonel Cooper was right.

There is a school local to me that offers long distance training, VX Marksmanship. I would like something that can reach out a bit.

Given that I can only shoot so far effectively, I am just trying to plug a hole in my skill set, not engage people at distance.

I originally wanted to use A new condition 1917 Enfield, but I missed out on that deal.

Thoughts?
Just one thought: .300 WIN or .300 WBY. Why? Aside from the extra punch, your ammo won't be accidentally eaten by guns with a more robust appetite, as may happen with .308 or .30-06.

The Navy used .300 WIN in the Remington 700 as the M-21 sniper rifle.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,701 Times in 2,021 Posts

I built a 30-06 last winter. Never finished sighting it in. I have two projects for this winter. both 308, one is a bull barrel. I have not shot 308 in years. I hunt with a 357 or for longer shots a 6.5 swede. there are no shots here over 200 yards due to brush. the 6.5 swede is more than capable of reaching out and touching someone.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,486 Times in 2,785 Posts

Ive seen good shooters use crappy military surplus rifles at long range and still shoot well. Having a sub moa rifle doesnt mean much if you dont shoot lots of rounds at your long ranges. Practice usually makes you better. Some people can never shoot well no matter how much they practice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 11:10 AM
High Concept

Thanked 6,762 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Need a long range stick to fill a hole in the toolbox. My criteria is that whatever I use must have been through a govt testing process( let them burn all the ammo and trash test guns to see when they break). Our scouts used the 700 Rem in the M24 variation, So that fits my criteria.

During the last ammo panic 30-06 was everywhere, no .308 to be found. However, no one makes match 30-06 anymore. Match 308 is common, but will I give up a lot of range going from a 30-06/24-26 inch bbl to a .308/20 inch bbl?

How tough is the Rem 700 Tactical? breakage prone? Any DMR's or scout/snipers here that can give me real world feedback? Glass recommendations?

And yes, I will have iron sights installed, because 1. a chain is only as strong as the fragile glass tube on top of it, and 2. Colonel Cooper was right.

There is a school local to me that offers long distance training, VX Marksmanship. I would like something that can reach out a bit.

Given that I can only shoot so far effectively, I am just trying to plug a hole in my skill set, not engage people at distance.

I originally wanted to use A new condition 1917 Enfield, but I missed out on that deal.

Thoughts?
I like compact and tough so I go with the 20” 1:10 heavy barrel R700 action in 308 with a good glass stock. Lupi 40mm vari scope keeps the compact theme.

Sling and butt pouch the only accessories, so just a bare bones no frills outfit, however it still reaches way out.

Done all the fast stepping cals and the 300’s and piles of experimental stuff, and find myself always returning to the old beaten up 308.

This one is the 5-R gen 2 which commonly gets sub half moa groups.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,124 Times in 342 Posts

I think I'd simplify ammo and go with .308 -- you can feed a long boi and an MBR both.

.308 - Long range bolt action and/or MBR
5.56 - Intermediate
12 gauge - home defense, hunting, etc...
.22 - varmint, hunting, light weight survival, etc..
9mm pistol - CCW
Old 11-02-2019, 10:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,196 Times in 3,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless Drudge View Post
Just one thought: .300 WIN or .300 WBY. Why? Aside from the extra punch, your ammo won't be accidentally eaten by guns with a more robust appetite, as may happen with .308 or .30-06.

The Navy used .300 WIN in the Remington 700 as the M-21 sniper rifle.
Are you sure? ( Im Army not Navy here)

An M21 is an M14 based rifle via 7.62x51mm. ( M25 is another version via Army and Navy secret squirrels)

Our M24 = a Remington 700 based rifle in 7.62x51mm or 300 win mag.

11B
Old 11-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,196 Times in 3,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_guy View Post
I'm thinking about buying a 6.5 Grendel upper for an AR and keeping it in a gun sock strapped to my pack. Four 24 round mags in mag pouches on the pack for long range stuff.
Once I get set up in a position to do overwatch or hunt I'd swap out uppers.
AR15's are a proven platform, and 6.5 Grendel is a lot lighter than 308 or 30-06 with similar performance out to 800 yards.
That idea may sound neat on paper, but the logistics hassle is not worth it's weight in my experience. Not only in weight vs a complete upper chambered in another cartridge along with an optic utilized for shooting at longer distances ( along with anything else attached to the additional upper), but also the space/ additional bulk of that upper as well.

Ammunition loaded into magazines holding to different cartridges is by far the big detriment with this idea. ( The key to carrying weight on foot over long duration = even dispersal of said weight).
On another practical note...... Fumbling around in the dark with attempt to grab the mag one needs to feed the upper currently attached to the lower is a challenge......mitigated or not.

And finally........your stuck with one lower. If anything should befall that one lower, your out both cartridges/ uppers.

In my experience, your better off running one or the other via any type of longer term environment in the field / on foot with no other means of support, and would be better off running a second complete firearm such as a handgun...along with it's own distinct cartridge and mags.

Example: I carry a suppressed handgun chambered in 22lr along with my M14S ( 7.62x51mm) A true weight saver that is very quiet upon firing, and can be used rather effectively with one hand if the other becomes injured. Mucho faster to transition from one to the other as compared to some sort of " tactical upper swap".... as well as the needed magazine with the correct ammo in it. ( That particular PIA quickly sinks this idea quickly in a field environment )

Moving onto weight for a second.......

Actual weight in loaded cartridges per 100 rounds each below.........

22LR 36gr Win php = .75 lbs
5.56mm 75gr HOR TAP = 2.85 lbs
6.5 G 123gr SSA OTM = 3.9 lbs
308 168gr AE OTM/ TTSX = 5.3 lbs
3006 150gr Win BST = 5.7 lbs

Note: The difference in weight when comparing 6.5 g to 308 via the loaded ammo above = 1 pound/ 6.4 ounces per 100 rounds.

Note: Don't forget to talley in the weight of the additional complete upper . ( They vary quite a bit, so a rough estimate puts it at around 5 pounds / 8 ounces........which happens to be a tad more in weight than 100 loaded rds of 7.62x51mm 168gr OTM or TTSX......and about the same weight as 100 loaded rounds of 3006 150gr BST. )
In short: 100rds of 6.5g plus the weight of complete upper/ optic = 9.4 lbs. Too match that weight, you would end up with 178 rounds of 7.62x51mm. Now add the weight of the optic/ mount and anything else attached.

On the other end: The difference between 5.56mm and 22lr via loaded ammo above = 2 pounds/ 1 ounce per 100 rds. A rough estimate for a complete 5.56mm upper / optic at right around 3.5 lbs. ( Right at the same weight as 450rds of 22lr) . Now add the weight of any optics/ mount.

11B