garden protection under teotwawki - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 09-26-2019, 08:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,317 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
I agree the dog is the alarm system and a nearly silent one doesn't give away your or its position.

As a kid my buddy had a min pincer. 'Dog' could tell what you were hunting by the weapon you were using. His favorite was bunnies - he would break every bone in their body crunch, crunch, crunch....

One time we were hunting upland birds and he ran way ahead for some reason - got the snot beat out if him by a Turkey. The next day he ran off ahead again, he came high tailing it back with a black bear on his heals - not a sound out of him until he was behind the shotguns. Didn't take me long to swap out bird shot for buck.

He never ran off/ahead after that camping trip.
I am impressed by a couple of the brown min pins that I have seen for running after and catching squirrels. Pincher is german for dogs that act like terriers I have read.
Quote:
First bred to hunt rats, this breed is called Zwergpinscher in Germany, his country of origin. In German, pinscher refers to dogs who were bred as guardians or to hunt vermin, and zwerg means "dwarf" or "midget." Although he's a rather delicate-looking toy breed, the Min Pin is a sturdy dog with a dynamite personality.
I knew someone that had a pack of the dark min pins and they made quite racket when anyone approached their kennel.

A cairn terrier just might stand its ground against a black bear and attack.
Quote:
The Cairn Terrier is one of the oldest terrier breeds, originating in the Scottish Highlands and recognized as one of Scotland's earliest working dogs. The breed was given the name Cairn, because the breed's function was to hunt and chase quarry between the cairns in the Scottish highlands.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2019, 08:34 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
I am impressed by a couple of the brown min pins that I have seen for running after and catching squirrels. Pincher is german for dogs that act like terriers I have read.

I knew someone that had a pack of the dark min pins and they made quite racket when anyone approached their kennel.

A cairn terrier just might stand its ground against a black bear and attack.
I currently run dogs like this that have been used on farms in the Southern Georgia, north florida and adjacent areas of Alabama for generations. They were used in the development of the modern american bulldog. They are more laid back than many American Bulldogs.

Two of my dogs are descended from Marsh a georgia Giant strain of White English. He was about 120 lbs. Some stains of white english can weigh as little as 40 lbs for females.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:38 PM
gard'ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from 28DaysLater View Post
Love the logic of SB:

-barbed wire and electric fences are totally ineffective
-blackberry bushes and alarm strings / tripwires are effective

YES barbed wire and electric fences should add some kind of protection, they're just not perfect
There's a certain effectiveness to barbed wire... I put it up all around the entire property line... It helps deter the thieves that ignore the no trespassing signs... and come in riding their ATVs...

Some of us are living in drug lab country... when the whole area is infested with Meth fiends.... It kinda seems like end times...

When it's a bit more work to scout the property, the local junkies focus on the less secured neighbor's place... but... yeah, when they get desperate for a "fix", nuthin's good enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to st0n3 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0n3 View Post
There's a certain effectiveness to barbed wire... I put it up all around the entire property line... It helps deter the thieves that ignore the no trespassing signs... and come in riding their ATVs...

Some of us are living in drug lab country... when the whole area is infested with Meth fiends.... It kinda seems like end times...

When it's a bit more work to scout the property, the local junkies focus on the less secured neighbor's place... but... yeah, when they get desperate for a "fix", nuthin's good enough.
I do have some barb wire stored that could be strung up. I am not sure of its use for R1 zoning. However teotwawki would makes its use appropriate.