garden protection under teotwawki - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 09-19-2019, 09:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,308 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready?mom View Post
I used to be amazed that people feel that if they can see fruit or vegetables that itís ok to come on to someoneís property to help themselves. I say used to because these days Iím not surprised at all. I have a friend whose neighbors go into his garden and clean him out. They also help themselves to his hay and tractors whenever they ďneedĒ to. He has a 10 foot fence and gates and has told them they are welcome to borrow but they need to ask. The next day his garden is stripped clean again. Short of shooting them I think itís pretty hard to keep someone out.
In his case he has sort of given them permission that legally could make it harder. Normally posting your land setting up game cameras for proof and you have them in florida on trespassing charges. Stealing garden produce can be felony if the loss it is above a certain amount. Other lesser charges are possible below the felony threshold value.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 08:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,100 Posts

I have a friend with 20 acres that is full of food plants that are growing randomly and left to their own devices. It ends up being a farm full of food but most people wouldn't be able to see more than the apple trees and some raspberry bushes.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 09:11 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,136 Times in 8,878 Posts

If it's really that bad, you are going to need to be more forceful. Booby traps, land mines, IED's that sort of stuff. Manual things that operate without electricity like a trip wire can last a very long time.

Battery powdered stuff can be nice for several years; Eneloops with a solar charger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 10:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,351 Times in 1,531 Posts

If this is the actual crunch, law enforcement and courts are inactve then do some real deterrance: nail boards under the sod just inside your garden fence, tanglefoot barbed wire, stake pits. These are all low tech year round trespasser traps. Chances are a nieghbor or one of thier kids will end up in one terminally injured but it’s your garden, your chicken house, your pole barn or tool shed.

What’s better is to pitch in helping with your neighbors suddenly oversized gardens. Then raiders will be outsiders that you can do with as you or your neighbors deem fit. That might be a woodchipper adding biomass to your mulch pits..... or not. Pigs get hungry too. So do dogs. How is kibble made anyway?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 09:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,097 Times in 773 Posts

The day I put out land mines to protect my turnips will be the day I give up. Maybe you are worrying a bit too much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebjr1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 10:05 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebjr1967 View Post
The day I put out land mines to protect my turnips will be the day I give up. Maybe you are worrying a bit too much.
This lol is a survivalist forum. We are discussing a scenario dealing with teotwawki. I would say we are group that worries or at least prepares for the worst.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 09:40 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,097 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
This lol is a survivalist forum. We are discussing a scenario dealing with teotwawki. I would say we are group that worries or at least prepares for the worst.
You are absolutely correct, but when it reaches the level of fantasy, I have to ask the question, what exactly is it that you are surviving? There are more scenarios than we could ever possibly begin to dream up. The world is not static. Any time spent in a garden proves this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ebjr1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Survivor

Quote:
You are absolutely correct, but when it reaches the level of fantasy, I have to ask the question, what exactly is it that you are surviving? There are more scenarios than we could ever possibly begin to dream up. The world is not static. Any time spent in a garden proves this.
One man's tinfoil is another's worst nightmare.
During hard times someone stealing from gardens is a reasonable concern. Landmines, well at the moment I happen to be fresh out of them.

I believe there are explosive blank firing sound and flare warning devices that can be set up on trip wires that are legal and non-lethal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martial Lawyer View Post
My garden is between my barn and house and will have regular overwatch assuming everyone is able to make it to my location. Iím trying to develop a more advanced ďpebbles in soda cansĒ trip wire warning system to assist the on duty guards in knowing that the garden is being accessed. My initial prototype involved strings and pulleys attached to a bell inside my main lookout location. It worked and was easy to set up but wasnít perfect.

I also have an unopened pack of small solar lanterns that will provide enough light into the garden to make a shot. I would like to improve this but do not have a formal solar setup right now. My concern with these is that they may attract unwanted attention. I may not use these.

In full on SHTF, Iím not worried about the critters (coons rabbits & deer) that cause me so much grief in current state. The watchtower will have a 22 at the ready.
So your plan is to engage the thieven no good crooks and kill them dead
The Following User Says Thank You to luckyfasteddie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 04:04 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,656 Times in 9,718 Posts

Quote:
No land mines here.
Just five 100 lb dogs and a clear line of fire off my deck.
I'm far more concerned with Raccoons, feral Hogs, and Deer.
My garden is the Bait.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 04:43 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyfasteddie View Post
So your plan is to engage the thieven no good crooks and kill them dead
Iíll keep enough around for breeding stock! Except maybe the coons...
Old 09-22-2019, 05:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,351 Posts
Default garden protection under teotwawki

If you can get your hands on a Ninja Gnome your worries are over.

https://www.vat19.com/item/ninja-garden-gnome

The Following User Says Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 07:34 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
No land mines here.
Just five 100 lb dogs and a clear line of fire off my deck.
I'm far more concerned with Raccoons, feral Hogs, and Deer.
My garden is the Bait.
If the dogs are doing their job a clear line of fire is redundant. I do shoot the squirrels, but dogs do manage to deter the larger critters.

A big problem with five 100 lb dogs is feeding them. You can feed them beans and rice. I am not sure what other veggies they can eat. Perhaps I could feed them on the trespassers. Leave a pile of melons or fruit in the open and wait in a blind.
The Following User Says Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 07:23 PM

Thanked 1,418 Times in 668 Posts

Love the logic of SB:

-barbed wire and electric fences are totally ineffective
-blackberry bushes and alarm strings / tripwires are effective

YES barbed wire and electric fences should add some kind of protection, they're just not perfect
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 07:26 PM

Thanked 1,418 Times in 668 Posts

Just waiting to hear about the slew of lawsuits that put barbed wire companies, electric fence companies, Masterlock, and cheapo locking box companies out of business

A lot of ppl are def going to become more desperate, cleverer, and more violent thieves after teotwawki, but that doesn't mean an electric fence with razor wire around it is a piece of paper. Even after teotwawki, not everyone is going to hit a fortification like that like a team of 20-yo Navy Seals on a mission to rescue the Swedish bikini team.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 01:19 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

This is where a good dog (or two) really matters. Even if they are just barkers alerting you, rather than being trained (which you should do). Another option is guard duty...
Old 09-26-2019, 01:37 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
This is where a good dog (or two) really matters. Even if they are just barkers alerting you, rather than being trained (which you should do). Another option is guard duty...
If your dogs are good ones they do not need training to drive off intruders or maul or even kill if the intruders do not leave in time. And mine will not be looking for a sleeve to grab and shake.
There are places, especially in police work where training is needed and the breeds of dogs used are very different from what I have.
Barking is most important. Also dogs are easily killed if the trespassers are armed so a barking from cover lap dog does have some advantages.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:18 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Agreed. That is why you want two or more. Trained, they work as a pack and surround the intruder. Most people don't raise their dogs to be killers... they will just bark and run if you act like you're coming at them... but that is okay. I'll decide who get's X'd, rather than having a dog maul/kill a kid stealing a carrot.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:24 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,347 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
Also dogs are easily killed if the trespassers are armed so a barking from cover lap dog does have some advantages.
My dog is hardly a lap dog but one of the things I really like about her is that when it comes to bears she stands back a hundred feet and barks rather than engages like my last dog did. I think an Alarm dog is much preferable to an attack dog. The dog is the alarm system. I'm the defense system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 07:36 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,136 Times in 8,878 Posts

I agree the dog is the alarm system and a nearly silent one doesn't give away your or its position.

As a kid my buddy had a min pincer. 'Dog' could tell what you were hunting by the weapon you were using. His favorite was bunnies - he would break every bone in their body crunch, crunch, crunch....

One time we were hunting upland birds and he ran way ahead for some reason - got the snot beat out if him by a Turkey. The next day he ran off ahead again, he came high tailing it back with a black bear on his heals - not a sound out of him until he was behind the shotguns. Didn't take me long to swap out bird shot for buck.

He never ran off/ahead after that camping trip.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post: