What to do with sungolds? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 09-17-2019, 08:15 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,347 Times in 4,315 Posts
Default What to do with sungolds?

Advertise Here

I grew half has many plants this year....but got three four times more sungolds than last year. They are delicious....but I can't seem to eat them fast enough and they don't last long once they are ripe before they turn over ripe.

Any suggestions for using these up or preserving them?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 08:23 PM
Market Farmer

Thanked 7,436 Times in 2,361 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Dehydrate or make into tomato sauce. I did that the first year I grew way too many sweet 100s.
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 08:26 PM
Abnormality biased.

Do they make good sauce?

I was thinking of drying...but then I starting thinking of what a drag slicing up all those little tomatoes would be....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 12:46 AM
Here to keep current

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Do they make good sauce?

I was thinking of drying...but then I starting thinking of what a drag slicing up all those little tomatoes would be....
Don't need to slice them - poke some holes in them and dehydrate them whole; that's what I do with ones that are similarly sized to Sungolds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Survivor_in_PAW For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 01:15 AM

I have frozen them in bags to use during the winter (when I had extra, before getting chickens and ducks). Add a bag of frozen cherry tomatoes to a crock pot with a pork tenderloin or roast at the start of the day.

They break down over the cooking period and give you a nice base to start seasoning with for BBQ or another flavor of your choice. The skins and seeds don't bother me when used this way.

If I use them fresh for salsa or dried, they always seem to have too many seeds and thicker skins compared to larger tomato types.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KBee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 01:16 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,041 Times in 538 Posts

For long term storage, I would make "tomato leather" and tomato powder by pureeing them in a blender and drying them on parchment paper or fruit leather trays.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 03:20 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,121 Times in 3,376 Posts

Sundried tomatoes in extra virgin olive oil... yummy Super on an antipasto plate and in salad

If you make your own spaghetti sauce, lasagna sauce, and/or pizza sauce, make and can them
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 05:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,432 Times in 1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
Sundried tomatoes in extra virgin olive oil... yummy Super on an antipasto plate and in salad

If you make your own spaghetti sauce, lasagna sauce, and/or pizza sauce, make and can them
Were there some potential hazardous issues with storing some foods in oil?
I don't know anything about it but it seems like I heard once that some foods shouldn't be. I'm guessing tomatoes would be fine due to their acidity.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 05:50 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,121 Times in 3,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Black.Dog~ View Post
Werr there some potential hazardous issues with storing some foods in oil?
I don't know anything about it but it seems like I heard once that some foods shouldn't be. I'm guessing tomatoes would be fine due to their acidity.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sundried tomatoes in extra virgin olive oil are sold in stores
Don't know processing specifics for home canning. Hopefully, someone that's done this/is knowledgeable can chime in

Chopped/minced garlic and some herbs are also sold in stores packed in extra virgin olive oil/olive oil
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 07:10 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,283 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:

My sungolds often don't make it to the kitchen from the glasshouse, but I have to make sure I wipe my chin in case SWMBO catches me.

I would definitely go down the semi-dried and stored in oil route. They are particularly good whizzed up with fresh basil as part of a flatbread, served with a salad or cold meat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sorry-no-clues For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 09:10 AM
Prepared

The risk with oil in long term storage is that it goes rancid faster than most fruits/vegetables would. Just add the oil before us!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martial Lawyer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 06:26 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor_in_PAW View Post
Don't need to slice them - poke some holes in them and dehydrate them whole; that's what I do with ones that are similarly sized to Sungolds.
So what exactly do you mean here? How many holes? what size? What is the general process we are talking about here?
Old 09-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Here to keep current

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor_in_PAW View Post
So what exactly do you mean here? How many holes? what size? What is the general process we are talking about here?
I dehydrate them in an Excalibur. I quick poke 'em with a toothpick making sure to rotate them so the holes are spread out to allow a fairly uniform escape of moisture - maybe about 4-6 holes. The first few batches I counted but now I don't - it just means some of the less holey/uniformly holey ones might need turning during drying or a little bit more dying time. I do this with cherry tomatoes and grape tomatoes. Dried, they are eaten whole as snacks, ground for seasoning, or used in soups, stews or other extended cook, "wet" recipes where they rehydrate. I tend to store them in Kilner jars in multiple, smaller batches to maintain "crispness". I've even dehydrated them unblemished, washed, dried, and intact, "au-natural" in single layers in a hot dry room similar to sun drying. It takes a lot longer but it doesn't require electricity. Someday I plan to have a true solar dehydrator.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Survivor_in_PAW For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 07:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,109 Posts

I also freeze. Along with the red raspberries and strawberries. Since I’m the only one in my family of four that eats fruits and veg, I end up giving lots of frozen away.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,101 Posts

I dry lots of cherry tomatoes by cutting them in half, sprinkle lightly with salt then dry until crispy. They can be stored that way or ground to a seasoning powder. 10 pound will fit in a pint jar if you grind them.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 03:44 AM
Abnormality biased.

Well, I was going to dry them...and then I saw that some people make jams out of tomatoes...and sungolds taste like fruit anyway..

So instead I took yesterdays yield, about 5-6lbs cut them all in half, threw them in a pot with a bunch of sugar, a fair amount of salt, some crushed red pepper, and a little lemon juice and made....I dunno....sweet tomato salsa? Spicy marmalade?

I'm not sure...but its delicious. Seems like the kind of thing that would go well with cream cheese on crackers....or smoked pork roast...mmmm. Well, I have a couple quarts of it so we're going to can it....

I should have another five pounds of sungolds turning ripe in a few days...and ten times that green on the vine if winter holds off long enough.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,160 Times in 3,479 Posts

Quote:
Sundried tomatoes in extra virgin olive oil are sold in stores
Don't know processing specifics for home canning. Hopefully, someone that's done this/is knowledgeable can chime in

Chopped/minced garlic and some herbs are also sold in stores packed in extra virgin olive oil/olive oil
I did this once. 7 or 8 years ago I think. I dehydrated them, I forget what spices, if any, I used, put in jars with olive oil. You simply put the tomatoes in the jars and added oil. I think the directions said to watch out for air pockets, which could cause botulism.

I was unsure about the results. If you refrigerated them, the olive oil turns into a solid. They become unappetizing and a bit difficult to eat - no longer a quick snack.

Unrefridgerated, I had concerns about the botulism.

If I made it again, I'd keep the tomatoes and the olive oil separate, and just combine them when I wanted some. Maybe let it sit for a bit.

-
Old 09-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,160 Times in 3,479 Posts

Other ways I have used sungold tomatoes (and cherry tomatoes in general):

- dehydrating them. I try to slice them all in halves. Add salt or other spices.

- tomato sauce. I used my steam juicer, which is amazing for quickly separating the juice from the pulp. I have made orange/yellow tomato sauces by using sun golds and orange and yellow tomatoes. It is kind of neat to have someone over for pasta and have yellow pasta sauce.

- tomato jam.