Wheelbarrow - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 09-19-2019, 05:43 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,859 Times in 20,487 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready?mom View Post
Do you find it as easy to pull this as pushing a regular 2 wheel wheelbarrow? We have very uneven terrain and I’m curious how well it maneuvers. Thank you.
Very easy to pull. Those 4 cushy tires just glide along. (but you do have to put air in the tires frequently, which is why I was asking about the foam injection that America;s Patriot mentioned. But he hasn't replied yet.

The dump feature is also very nice. The one axle moves a little to balance the bed so it can easily pivot when you pull the bed release lever.

They have a smaller size also if you think it is too big. We had a 2 wheeled cart when I was a kid and the handle was kind of low to the ground. The handle on this makes it easy to stand fully upright and just pull it behind you. You can also hitch it to a lawn tractor by pivoting the handle around.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 06:04 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 2,195 Times in 912 Posts

You need an ASSAULT WHEELBARROW.

Gunkid will tell you about them
Old 09-19-2019, 06:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,257 Times in 1,819 Posts

Jackson M6 wheelbarrow. I have 3 of them I bought in the early 80's. Might upgrade the tires to foam filled.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don H For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 06:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 38,321 Times in 11,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Very easy to pull. Those 4 cushy tires just glide along. (but you do have to put air in the tires frequently, which is why I was asking about the foam injection that America;s Patriot mentioned. But he hasn't replied yet.

The dump feature is also very nice. The one axle moves a little to balance the bed so it can easily pivot when you pull the bed release lever.

They have a smaller size also if you think it is too big. We had a 2 wheeled cart when I was a kid and the handle was kind of low to the ground. The handle on this makes it easy to stand fully upright and just pull it behind you. You can also hitch it to a lawn tractor by pivoting the handle around.

I don't think I'd do the foam in the tire unless it was a short term/low weight use. Most spray foams will compress which could (theoretically) cause a flat spot/bumpy tire. And coming from a cheapO, I'd probably just invest in a solid tire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 07:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,738 Posts

When I foamed a pair of pneumatic tires the foam didn't go all the way around so I drilled holes in areas where the foam didn't reach and added more. I still ended up with kind of bumpy tires. I would think that if you carried heavy loads on a wheelbarrow the foam would compress or break down. Wheelbarrow tires are inexpensive, I would just replace them.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 08:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,257 Times in 1,819 Posts

I'd buy them already foam filled.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...hoCIN0QAvD_BwE
Old 09-20-2019, 09:11 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Interesting. What expanding foam do you use and how do you get it in the tube?

I ran across it on a random YouTube video. I aired up the tire to get a seal first (important). After, I took the valve stem out and let the air out. I put the stem back in and drilled 2 holes in the tire. One hole on one side of the tire at the top, and one on the other side of the tire at the bottom. I put in a little water (maybe 3-4 tablespoons.. I eyeballed it). I used the cheapest foam I could find in a can and used the tube to spray in the holes while they were laid out on the horizontal. After I emptied the can, I spun the wheel for about 10 minutes (medium speed) to make sure the water/foam would mix and I would get even coverage (water is an activator). You'll know when the foam is expanding, because it will come out of the holes. After it expands, leave it alone for a week or two to allow it to harden. If I were to do it again, I would put small pieces of duct tape over the holes while you spun it. The foam will still push it out, but it will help to better inflate the tire and encourage the foam to go the other direction. Just don't completely block the holes, or the foam will break the bead and come out around the rim.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:42 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,731 Times in 2,785 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I have 3 wheelbarrows here, as well as a "Gorilla cart". The Gorilla cart is great for in the garden - narrow enough to get through the paths to haul manure to the beds that need it. of the three wheelbarrows, 1 is a 1-wheeler. It doesn't get used much because it's very unstable on rough ground. We have 2 contractor-size 2-wheelers. LOVE them! MUCH more stable, especially when hauling loads of hay, feed sacks, and manure. One has a plastic bucket - It has a slightly larger bucket part (Perfect for hauling hay bales), but the downside of it is that the plastic broke around the heads of the bolts holding it to the frame. The metal one has a slightly smaller bucket, but I don't have to worry about it breaking where it's bolted to the frame. It's my main manure hauler (unless I'm using the FEL on the tractor to move large amounts to the garden or orchard. The FEL holds 3 contractor-size wheelbarrow loads in the bucket.
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 06:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,645 Times in 9,209 Posts

Another vote for two wheeled barrows, although I do also have an all steel single wheel (including the wheel) and a couple of yard carts. Some of them (OK most of them) need new wheels and tires after the fire but even the plastic two wheel survived with just a bit of disfigurement of the bucket, the wood seems usable.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,253 Times in 2,355 Posts

All of my wheelbarrows were made somewhere between about the 60's and 70's, they are pretty dang tough...

The largest one is rebuilt as of about 3 years ago, the handles broke so I cut some new handles from cherry branches I had pruned from my trees. The best handles I have ever used, strong as all get out and finally big enough around for my size hand. For some reason all the wheel barrows I have ever used have a tiny little 1 1/2 inch or so diameter handles which get awful hard on the hands trying to grasp down that small. Now I have nice 1 3/4 inch diameter handles that I can friggin grab a hold of now...

As long as the metal body is good enough the rest is as tough as you make it...
Old 09-21-2019, 10:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,947 Times in 927 Posts
Exclamation

Jackson wheelbarrow with bearings in the axle and the tire replaced with a 6 ply trailer tire! Tire is treated with Bulletproof Tire Sealant.

The above makes a pretty good wheelbarrow thatís unlikely to get a flat tire and will likely last a long time if any care is taken at all!

SD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheepDog68 For This Useful Post: