Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 09-16-2019, 12:23 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Advertise Here

Did that program happen to mention the Long Valley Caldera? They are finding out, that Yellowstone and LVC are connected and if one blows, it will most likely set the other off as well.

I sleep better knowing that Komifornia will go before me.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 01:03 PM
Don't get me started

Thanked 30,379 Times in 10,648 Posts

Well since I am a super villain it should be no problem. I will give plenty of time on the detonator circuit to make my escape. I figure I can be back in my evil lair when it blows up.

The rest of you can survive if you pay me $1,000,000.00.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 01:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,098 Times in 615 Posts

If I thought it was a serious threat I'd have already moved south of the equator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 01:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,862 Times in 6,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillHere View Post
I remember the ash from the Mt. St. Helens eruption just remember days of light dusts.. Was pretty far from it too, I had relatives in state at the time wish I remembered more of their stories. Anything down wind and surviving will be buried. It will clog every water filter you have. Probably need layers of just socks that can be thrown away as first second and third passes for any unprotected water.
Let the water sit, it will clear. And the falling ash makes great fertilizer, if you can get it plowed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillHere View Post
I remember seeing littles vials of it being sold too.... LOL
My southern Oregon high school band was stranded up in Seattle for three days that weekend.

We scraped that stuff off the trains tat came south and sold it in little vials...you're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
A week ago I watched a very realistic movie .....
No you didn't. It was a movie and NO ONE knows what will happen. It's totally a best guess drama fest.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 01:58 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 32,897 Times in 12,397 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-D View Post
Only is I can bring my matched steamer trunks.
Pack lots of orange soda in one
The Following User Says Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 03:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,506 Times in 1,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
If I thought it was a serious threat I'd have already moved south of the equator.
I'm not in any real danger from it unless it causes us to miss growing seasons, but if I were to get word it was going to blow next week. I'd check my preps, put the wood racks on my chevy, and stack it full of beer. I'd rather die an American in America than live elsewhere.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:56 AM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,983 Times in 7,509 Posts

This again...

It's not the end of the world. But if you're close to it (in any of the connecting states), you're going to have a lot of trouble not being crushed or suffocated by ash. Outside of that it's survivable with effort. If you're in Kansas it's going to be miserable, but not deadly unless you're stupid. By the time you get to Missouri it's going to be a nuisance. By the time you hit Kentucky it's just going to be a novelty.

It'll be temporary outside of the 'you are screwed zone' as it'll wash away with rain, and the rivers will take the worst of it. The Missouri and Mississippi rivers will be running with liquid concrete for a while. But people will recover from the direct effects. The indirect chaos generated will probably do more damage than the volcano. The important thing to understand about Yellowstone is that it has very clean magma that doesn't cause much of a cooling effect on a global scale.

Assuming equal to the worst of its eruptions so far. But it's had eruptions that aren't nearly that bad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 05:35 PM
Respiratory protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
No. I doubt many people are. Fortunately this isn't something that's going to sneak up on us. If the magma chamber(s) under Yellowstone start to heat up and pressurize, it will be obvious to geologists the world over. And it will take months at least to get to the critical point. Everyone saw Mount St. Helens coming. They'll see Yellowstone years away.
Humm - maybe for a major cataclysmic event - but volcanoes are unpredictable, and you can face mild eruptions, phreatic, lava, etc. remember that many volcanoes, and not in remote not accurately monitored areas as Sheveluch, erupt suddenly, in the middle of the day or night ...
The Following User Says Thank You to AnitaRN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 05:40 PM
Respiratory protection

I have uploaded the 1st part of my presentations about prepping for volcanic eruption, and mainly ash hazard. The next, about gear, will follow ASP. On my channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBj...c6s_lgJNtFOMgA, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58eikgOBMMY and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9sIHZaDffU
Prepping for volcanic ash Part 1-1 And Prepping for volcanic ash Part 1-2
Old 09-17-2019, 07:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,920 Times in 3,597 Posts

NO ONE knows for sure what will happen, or when so IMO no use worrying about it.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:00 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,347 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
NO ONE knows for sure what will happen, or when so IMO no use worrying about it.
Kind of a weird prepping philosophy. Or is that just yellowstone. Do you know what and when for other SHTF? Care to share with us?
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 08:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,703 Posts

Ummmmm.............NO.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:53 AM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,983 Times in 7,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Kind of a weird prepping philosophy. Or is that just yellowstone. Do you know what and when for other SHTF? Care to share with us?
That's why I don't even keep cereal at home. How do I know I'm going to wake up in the morning? No one knows what's going to happen. I might pop an aneurysm in my sleep. What the **** is the point of worrying about breakfast?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,871 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
You're upwind and in Idaho. That means you are not safe, and like the rest of us in the west, you are in a state that has a lot of wildfires.
It seems as if you might be confused about what "upwind" means.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,526 Times in 717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Let the water sit, it will clear. And the falling ash makes great fertilizer, if you can get it plowed in.

My southern Oregon high school band was stranded up in Seattle for three days that weekend.

We scraped that stuff off the trains tat came south and sold it in little vials...you're welcome.

No you didn't. It was a movie and NO ONE knows what will happen. It's totally a best guess drama fest.

But the next week or so I watched a documentary by the U.S. G.S. and they study that continually and that was not a movie.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:46 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
You're upwind and in Idaho. That means you are not safe, and like the rest of us in the west, you are in a state that has a lot of wildfires. That lava and those hot rocks aren't just going to land and damage only what they hit, they're also going to cause wildfires, and winds blow wildfires.

When Mt. Saint Helens blew, we had hazy (although beautiful) sunsets and had dust from the volcano falling on us in Flagstaff, Arizona. That's a long way.

Although we had a wildfire not far from us in 2015, we have had almost no fire activity (This summer in a community not far from us, a bird caused an electrical short and a 200 acre fire erupted but was quickly put out by community members). I look often at the wildland fire reports and the drought monitor. This year the Washington Coast is the only real fire worry. We don't get much precipitation here at 30 inches but we get double that of Missoula, Mt. or Spokane, WA, and 5 inches less than Seattle. Most of the fires in Idaho occur in the back country and since 83% of Idaho is owned by the federal government, you can see that we have a lot of back country where almost no one resides.

When St. Helens erupted, the ash fall didn't hit here as it did in Yakima and Spokane due to prevailing winds. We are a bit south of St. Helens. But, according to 'Quora" using USGS maps and explanations, all of the continental U.S., except for very south Texas and Florida would likely be dusted with 1--3 mm of ash which will stop all air traffic and drown combustion engines. And if the electric lines are wetted, the ash will serve as a conductor taking down the electrical grid. The Map also shows this kind of problem in much of livable Canada. The question asked was: Is anyplace safe to be?
Old 09-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post

I was stranded in Seattle until my parents came over on the ferry, picked me up, drove to Vancouver, Washington, went up to the Columbia, then to the Yakima Valley where I had to make up lost days as a teacher.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Did that program happen to mention the Long Valley Caldera? They are finding out, that Yellowstone and LVC are connected and if one blows, it will most likely set the other off as well.

I sleep better knowing that Komifornia will go before me.

It talked about the chain of calderas starting in far SW Idaho and going up the Snake River basalt plain to Yellowstone.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:32 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 47,887 Times in 11,096 Posts

The real question should be can you survive the SMOD.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,920 Times in 3,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
I would NOT share the time of day with you.