Two of my dogs snake bit on muzzle - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 09-14-2019, 01:50 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,280 Times in 7,847 Posts
Default Two of my dogs snake bit on muzzle

Advertise Here

Wife got home from work yesterday to find one of the dogs (Beau) with a swollen muzzle, one dog (Buster) was missing. I got home a little while later and went looking for the missing dog. He was hiding with a swollen muzzle.

Both dogs had the telltale mark of a snake bite with blood draining from two puncture wounds about an inch apart.

This was around 6:00pm. I called the emergency number for a local vet who agreed to meet us at his office. Both dogs were carried to the car then drove to the vets office. Vet confirmed it looked like a bite from a large snake.

Here is the issue, from time to time someone will come across a Southeast Texas timber rattler. If this was a rattle snake bit the survival rate is 50/50 - that is what the vet said. Antivenom is around an hours drive, and would cost around $1,500 a vial. Vet said each dog would need more than one vial. Total cost would have been around $6,000 to treat both dogs. Just treating one dog is not an option.

Vet gave each dog a shot of steroids along with a prescription of painkillers and antibiotics. Vet said to give 50mg of benadryl twice a day.

After getting the dogs home Beau started doing much better. By the next morning he was back to his normal routine. Then again, Beau weighs close to 70 - 75 pounds.

Buster on the other hand was in bad shape for most of the night and into the next morning. Buster weighs around half of what Beau weighs. I would put Buster at around 40 or so pounds.

As I write this Buster is resting on the couch. He seems to be a little more alert this morning than he was yesterday evening.

Several years ago I posted a video of me killing a Cottonmouth snake. That video received a lot of negative feedback. People were saying stuff like, "Why did you kill the snake it was not hurting anything." I eventually removed the youtube video.

I wonder how many people who say "Do not kill venomous snakes" are willing to pay my dogs vet bills? The total bill was close to $400, which is no big deal.

When it comes to prepping, country life, living in a rural area, urban dwellers do not understand the issues we face.

I am going snake hunting tonight with a flashlight and 12 gauge shotgun.

Last edited by kev; 09-14-2019 at 03:08 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 01:59 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,284 Times in 8,909 Posts

I think there are classes to snake proof your dog. Might be worth looking into.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 02:20 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,928 Times in 2,179 Posts

I had three dogs get bit by rattlesnakes
Zero tolerance
Killed around 100 rattlesnakes around the house in 12 years
Vet sold me crofab at cost, then around $650
Two dogs got crofab, one did not need it
For the last few years I got the rattlesnake vaccinations
Does not make them bulket-proof, but cuts down on how bad the venom effects the dog
Dogs are tough
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 02:54 PM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 10,646 Times in 2,536 Posts

Venomous snakes on your property should be killed to protect children, livestock, pets and even spouses. JMO, YMMV
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 03:05 PM

I’m surprised the vet doesn’t keep antivenom in stock. We live in rattlesnake country and at least one vet in the area keeps some in his office.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ready?mom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 03:14 PM
Hunter/Survivor

Damn Rattlers, out here we Mohave Green rattlers and there is no anti venom for these bastards. I hunt in the Mohave and I always worry in the early season about my dog getting bit. Best wishes for your dog's full recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 03:18 PM
Bad Dog

Thanked 16,677 Times in 3,544 Posts

I once killed a small rattler in my front yard. The little rattlers are more dangerous than the big guys. Young rattlers have not yet learned how to meter their venom for multiple strikes. If you get bit by a little one, he empties the full load into you.

If someone doesn't like that, I will gladly catch it live and send it to them.

Fang marks an inch apart are from a BIG snake.

I hope Buster pulls through. Shotshells in a handgun are good for hunting snakes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 03:52 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Wife got home from work yesterday to find one of the dogs (Beau) with a swollen muzzle, one dog (Buster) was missing. I got home a little while later and went looking for the missing dog. He was hiding with a swollen muzzle.

Both dogs had the telltale mark of a snake bite with blood draining from two puncture wounds about an inch apart.

This was around 6:00pm. I called the emergency number for a local vet who agreed to meet us at his office. Both dogs were carried to the car then drove to the vets office. Vet confirmed it looked like a bite from a large snake.

Here is the issue, from time to time someone will come across a Southeast Texas timber rattler. If this was a rattle snake bit the survival rate is 50/50 - that is what the vet said. Antivenom is around an hours drive, and would cost around $1,500 a vial. Vet said each dog would need more than one vial. Total cost would have been around $6,000 to treat both dogs. Just treating one dog is not an option.

Vet gave each dog a shot of steroids along with a prescription of painkillers and antibiotics. Vet said to give 50mg of benadryl twice a day.

After getting the dogs home Beau started doing much better. By the next morning he was back to his normal routine. Then again, Beau weighs close to 70 - 75 pounds.

Buster on the other hand was in bad shape for most of the night and into the next morning. Buster weighs around half of what Beau weighs. I would put Buster at around 40 or so pounds.

As I write this Buster is resting on the couch. He seems to be a little more alert this morning than he was yesterday evening.

Several years ago I posted a video of me killing a Cottonmouth snake. That video received a lot of negative feedback. People were saying stuff like, "Why did you kill the snake it was not hurting anything." I eventually removed the youtube video.

I wonder how many people who say "Do not kill venomous snakes" are willing to pay my dogs vet bills? The total bill was close to $400, which is no big deal.

When it comes to prepping, country life, living in a rural area, urban dwellers do not understand the issues we face.

I am going snake hunting tonight with a flashlight and 12 gauge shotgun.
Its illegal to kill any snake in TN unless it attacking you or another animal. If not you can be charged for killing it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to tnxdshooter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 04:10 PM
Para Bellum

Thanked 7,505 Times in 2,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnxdshooter View Post
Its illegal to kill any snake in TN unless it attacking you or another animal. If not you can be charged for killing it.

If it's a poisonous snake, it dies. Period.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TraderBob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 04:13 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderBob View Post
If it's a poisonous snake, it dies. Period.
Well when you go to jail because some damned commie liberal peta person calls the cops on you when they see you killing one I'm just gonna laugh and be like told ya so lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to tnxdshooter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 05:19 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 1,121 Times in 332 Posts

Well you dont let the cops see you killing one, do you Watson? No you do not. You kill the damn thing and put it in the trash bury it burn it fling it into the trees in the woods. Whatever. Wildlife will clean it up before morning.

Oh I'm going to go out to the highway and kill a big ass snake and be sure to wait for the highway patrol to go by before waving it in the air on a stick.

Ya thats exactly what I'll do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 05:37 PM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 10,646 Times in 2,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnxdshooter View Post

Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 05:40 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,928 Times in 2,179 Posts

It is urban legend that small young snakes are more dangerous that large older snakes
The large snakes have way more venom and can deliver huge doses of venom
You are screwed either way if it is a wet bite.
Few yeas ago guy got hit by snake with 1.5" wide fangs
He was dead within 20 mins
Massive venom dump
I Heart Rattlesnakes
Where I live now it is illegal to kill a snake unless you are forced to do so
I would never ever kill a rattlesnake or copperhead or cottonmouth here
That would be wrong
I choose the life of the snake over that of my family and pets, always
I Heart Poisonous Snakes
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,351 Times in 4,315 Posts

I think killing pests WITHOUT building some way to keep them out amounts to little more than revenge. It may make you feel better but doesn't really solve the problem. There are an endless amount of pests outside your property that you can't kill and they will just keep coming in. When it comes to safety a hammer usually does more good than a gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 06:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,317 Posts

My farm dogs instinctively avoid closing with snakes, but will bark at them.
Often with anti-inflamatories they will survive bites on the head, but not always. They're more resistant than people. for ER treatment of a human that is envenomated think of $40-150K for a wk stay in the hospital.
If on my property I kill the water moccasins on sight. I live in NW FL.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 06:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
I think killing pests WITHOUT building some way to keep them out amounts to little more than revenge. It may make you feel better but doesn't really solve the problem. There are an endless amount of pests outside your property that you can't kill and they will just keep coming in. When it comes to safety a hammer usually does more good than a gun.
Relative to snakes, killing the water moccasins on my place does reduce their numbers and other snakes without venom will assume their ecological niche. Of course killing a water moccasin does not mean another will not come up from the creek. but they are not so numerous for me and killing them has worked. I have not seen one this year yet. Leaving then alone and they will breed and be all over the place.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 06:58 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,208 Times in 7,783 Posts

Aren't there snake control snakes? I think King snakes hunt and kill the poisonous types?

The other preventative measure is to not let your dogs run loose, but I realize that not everyone follows that.

Poison critters is a top reason I won't live in the southern climate. Snakes, spiders, scorpions, etc. Just not a fan...

Hope your dogs pull thru!
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 09:38 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Aren't there snake control snakes? I think King snakes hunt and kill the poisonous types?

The other preventative measure is to not let your dogs run loose, but I realize that not everyone follows that.

Poison critters is a top reason I won't live in the southern climate. Snakes, spiders, scorpions, etc. Just not a fan...

Hope your dogs pull thru!
Hope your dogs pull thru!""
Don't let your dogs run loose.
this is about survival homesteads. The dogs are needed to defend my orchards and gardens against the critters.
For survival the deep south has longer growing seasons and so for me is preferred to the far north.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 10:32 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,509 Times in 577 Posts

My dogs run 50 acres with 5 acre pond. We dont have many poisonous snakes, but I have had 2 different shepherds get bitten by what I figure was water moccassins. I have shot at a few over the years. Both of them swelled up 4 times normal head, but roid shots got em back to normal same/next day. Another pet (brothers) got bitten also, in pile of sticks (copperhead maybe), havent seen any timber rattlers around here in ET.
Farm animals usually dont die from snakes. I am more afraid of the black widows. At beginning of spring, I saw at least 10 paralyzed BW spiders in various places in storage room from dirt daubers catching them and carrying them to their nests for food supply for younguns. I figure it was a mutual death of bee/spider as these didnt make it to nest. I have been tagged by BW before. She was on wood for wood stove. I didnt see her till couple hours later. Thought Id burned finger on stove fire (blister with 2 little red marks). I was playing WoW, and I guess she didnt get a good dose in me.
But, as Jim Stafford said "I dont like spiders or snakes". They all need to die!
BTW, dont geese help get snakes?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 12:25 AM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 1,121 Times in 332 Posts

Guineas.

Ten characters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post: