Colt stops making long guns for civilians. - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 09-13-2019, 11:00 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,090 Times in 3,879 Posts

Advertise Here

S&W went through a series of owners that were not firearm/sporting goods related companies. Thomkins PLC, a British company, was the one that did the most harm to S&W's reputation.

Colt, on the other hand, seems intent on doing themselves in.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 11:02 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,650 Times in 9,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
`

S&W was worse when back in the late '90's/early 2K's they started selling ONLY to Military & Police (that's where M&P comes from) AND any S&W dealer could not sell ANY brand guns to civilians or they'd lose their S&W dealership. So not only were they not going to sell their guns to civilians, they were trying to get dealers to not sell any guns of any brand to civilians. A couple years later, they changed their mind, started putting out cheap junk & people can't get enough of it. Especially the stuff stamped "M&P" people I guess love that slap in the face cause I guess they feel like now they are Military and/or Police.

Many here are not old enough to remember this, but Smith and Wesson made a deal with the Clinton Admin in 1994.

They were trying to protect themselves from the new background check, magazine limits, and handgun regulations being written.
They actually modified their revolvers to add a key lock safety on the hammer of their revolvers.
Hate to say this, but Smith threw gun owners under the buss 25 yrs ago.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 11:21 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,090 Times in 3,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Many here are not old enough to remember this, but Smith and Wesson made a deal with the Clinton Admin in 1994.

They were trying to protect themselves from the new background check, magazine limits, and handgun regulations being written.
They actually modified their revolvers to add a key lock safety on the hammer of their revolvers.
Hate to say this, but Smith through gun owners under the buss 25 yrs ago.
Picking nits, Smith and Wesson did not do the deal with the devil. Smith and Wesson's British owners did the deal to protect their investment. Thomkins acquired S&W in 1987 then sold it in 2001.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 09:10 PM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 121,503 Times in 24,075 Posts

Quote:
I'm sure this will help get them out of bankruptcy. Glad the only colt stuff I have are mags & a few odd parts.
`

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/co...retail-market/
`

Colt Stops Production of Long Guns for Retail Market - YouTube

I think, perhaps, a lot of people in this thread are taking a business decision as though it were a personal attack. All Colt has done is decided that the AR market is now too competitive for them to make any money in, so they are leaving it to other, more agile competitors.

Imagine that you were the first to produce a particular product, but when it could no longer be patent protected, everybody and their uncle started making generic copies, but without the sunk costs that you had in the process. Would you try to outcompete every newcomer, or simply fo us on other products that make you money?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 09:15 PM
Úlfhéðnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless Drudge View Post
I think, perhaps, a lot of people in this thread are taking a business decision as though it were a personal attack. All Colt has done is decided that the AR market is now too competitive for them to make any money in, so they are leaving it to other, more agile competitors.

Imagine that you were the first to produce a particular product, but when it could no longer be patent protected, everybody and their uncle started making generic copies, but without the sunk costs that you had in the process. Would you try to outcompete every newcomer, or simply fo us on other products that make you money?
Sunk Costs are just that. Leaving the market doesnt make them go away. It just means that while they may have pioneered the design, something in their processes or strategies can't keep up with the competition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyscale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,865 Times in 5,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
This is incorrect.

They have long term contracts with unions that KILLS THEM and makes their costs MUCH higher on several AR platform's..

I agree that they need to move, that would solve most of their problems, but they have **** management and have all my life.

I agree this is likely economic, not political
Agreed. I mean, move already...
Cut the union ties and make it as a company. It's really that simple.
Colt would thrive in FL, or TX, or TN, or where ever.
Not now though. They've decided on suicide.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:18 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote:

Yet they will sell to police and military
Old 09-13-2019, 10:19 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,070 Times in 448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessdriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
I think they should focus on 1911 s and revolvers.
I had kind of wanted a colt ar15. But the quality has gone down and they cost too much for what you get.
Yeah that's what's going keep you in business is relics bought a few NRA guys. They need to feature out and come up with new ideas. At least keltech and others attempt that
Korth is doing fine. So is Kimber. So is Nighthawk customs etc. people will keep buying revolvers for decades. And they will pay a premium for a decent revolver. Look at the K6. People will buy fancy 1911s and similar guns. These are high margin items where colt has an advantage, as opposed to trying to make another striker fired polymer handgun. .

Colt should give customers what they want from colt. Delta Elites , snake guns etc. when they do that they win.
The new King Cobra is getting great reviews. It looks like they did something right there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 10:20 PM
Prepper elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
Korth is doing fine. So is Kimber. So is Nighthawk customs etc. people will keep buying revolvers for decades. And they will pay a premium for a decent revolver. Look at the K6. People will buy fancy 1911s and similar guns. These are high margin items where colt has an advantage, as opposed to trying to make another striker fired polymer handgun. .

Colt should give customers what they want from colt. Delta Elites , snake guns etc. when they do that they win.
The new King Cobra is getting great reviews. It looks like they did something right there.
Wonder how many people they employ
Old 09-13-2019, 10:28 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 12,147 Times in 5,161 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:

Perhaps your right but I purchased one of their MARC series rifles and it didn't work and it took nearly a month and a half to get a response from them so I could send the rifle in for repair.
My impression is we are regarded as the hoi polloi nothing more, however it is their business to run or ruin.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:49 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 8,060 Times in 2,597 Posts

`

All this is making me really want to add a few pony's to my collection.

`
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 11:11 PM
Prepper elite

Quote:
`

`
Considering how many lowers I have seen Andersen has been spot on. The only other lower is the std for tighter tolerances.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:47 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,865 Times in 5,155 Posts

Quote:
`

`
Poverty ponies for the win!
Buy a dozen or two. It's why we have credit cards....
Old 09-14-2019, 12:14 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,127 Times in 8,874 Posts

I hated my issue M-16, I never thought they were good rifles.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 12:51 AM
Hail to the King, Baby

Thanked 3,352 Times in 920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
Damn right. I'm not paying $400 for a piece of aluminum just because It has Aero Precision on it.

The last "good" lower I bought was a Noreen Arms and my gunsmith had to straighten out the threads for the grip screw.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DisgruntledPatriot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 01:51 AM
Limited Tolerance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledPatriot View Post
Damn right. I'm not paying $400 for a piece of aluminum just because It has Aero Precision on it.

The last "good" lower I bought was a Noreen Arms and my gunsmith had to straighten out the threads for the grip screw.
`

Not what I wanted to hear. I have a Noreen AR-10/308 80% lower waiting for me to work on. I hope it's not F'd up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 01:55 AM
Limited Tolerance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
`

A full dozen my FFL would charge me more than the $20/box he charges right now, even if all 12 were in 1 box. I've ordered them in batches of 4 & 5 so it only ends up being $4 or $5 FFL fee per lower. He said if it's 10+ in a box, then he'll charge more. Between those, a few TN Arms polymers & a few 80% I am fairly well stocked, but if I did order more, it would probably be 80% lowers from here on out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 08:20 AM
Prepper elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledPatriot View Post

Its just a taps bit. Not super hard to do. It's all the same.

Want more accuracy? True the upper receiver and have them square it off..
Old 09-14-2019, 08:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,661 Times in 7,392 Posts

This is a business decision not a second amendment decision. Clearly Colt sees better more reliable sales via the defense industry. I do not know the variable cost for converting production lines from full-auto to semi-auto and back or carrying two separate production lines. There is some cost there. There is also big cost in the ups and downs of the retail market. Even my pawn shop friend says the AK business both on price and demand has went to nothing. That overhead cost to manufacturers continues. Then there is import competition. Add to that the growing risk and cost of AGs nation wide and litigation.

Anyone that does not give some thought to the liabilities of what they do in their life is a fool. For a gun manufacturer this is a growing risk and cost. This is being done t them not something they can choose.

As disappointing as this may be one cannot fault Colt. It is a choice be profitable or be out of business.

As for me I always thought of Colt as a hand gun company who also makes long guns. So this does not bother me as much as some.

Things like this do not have a large impact on which brand of gun I buy. However all other things being equal because of this I will look at Colt for my next new handgun.

What ever you think of this decision we will be worse off with one less gun manufactured especially US manufacturer. As you should know from history the easiest thing for the anti-gun people to pass is a ban on imports.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,661 Times in 7,392 Posts

FYI Colt is a private company.
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post: