Colt stops making long guns for civilians. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 09-12-2019, 02:43 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 8,063 Times in 2,598 Posts
Thumbs down Colt stops making long guns for civilians.

Advertise Here

I'm sure this will help get them out of bankruptcy. Glad the only colt stuff I have are mags & a few odd parts.
`

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/co...retail-market/
`

Quick reply to this message
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 10,577 Times in 2,517 Posts

I was seriously considering a 1911 from them. No thanks.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 03:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,700 Times in 5,671 Posts

Are they vying to get scooped up by a defense contractor?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 04:44 PM
2nd Amendment zealot

Thanked 1,293 Times in 429 Posts

Next car accident I get into I am suing the manufacturer. They should have known better to sell me a car. That will teach them.

Rant off
Old 09-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,905 Times in 727 Posts

I just bought a Colt 1911 and I'd buy another one tomorrow.

For a floundering company this move makes sense. The AR market is saturated and by announcing this they just sold every one they had in inventory.

They'll focus on defense contracts for a few years, then bring their ARs back out to the public for a "limited time" and sell them like hot cakes.

In the meantime they can continue to focus on refining their handgun line for the civilian market.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 06:27 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,876 Times in 5,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
I was seriously considering a 1911 from them. No thanks.
This.
The quicker they disappear, the better.

I hope Ruger remembers their lesson from last time around... Obviously Colt wasn't paying attention.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:51 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
This.
The quicker they disappear, the better.

I hope Ruger remembers their lesson from last time around... Obviously Colt wasn't paying attention.
`

S&W was worse when back in the late '90's/early 2K's they started selling ONLY to Military & Police (that's where M&P comes from) AND any S&W dealer could not sell ANY brand guns to civilians or they'd lose their S&W dealership. So not only were they not going to sell their guns to civilians, they were trying to get dealers to not sell any guns of any brand to civilians. A couple years later, they changed their mind, started putting out cheap junk & people can't get enough of it. Especially the stuff stamped "M&P" people I guess love that slap in the face cause I guess they feel like now they are Military and/or Police.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
`

S&W was worse when back in the late '90's/early 2K's they started selling ONLY to Military & Police (that's where M&P comes from) AND any S&W dealer could not sell ANY brand guns to civilians or they'd lose their S&W dealership. So not only were they not going to sell their guns to civilians, they were trying to get dealers to not sell any guns of any brand to civilians. A couple years later, they changed their mind, started putting out cheap junk & people can't get enough of it. Especially the stuff stamped "M&P" people I guess love that slap in the face cause I guess they feel like now they are Military and/or Police.

Perhaps, but even if, S&W learned that lesson well too. Bet they don't go that way again.

Plus, I'm doubtful as there are hundreds of thousands of S&W firearms from that time period around. I own a couple.
Also, the Military & Police label dates back to the Model 10 of 1899, so...
Old 09-12-2019, 06:56 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,868 Times in 2,158 Posts

Scum
But, they do know that it is only a matter of about a year and there may be zero modern sporting riles sold in America.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,193 Times in 3,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinter View Post
I just bought a Colt 1911 and I'd buy another one tomorrow.

For a floundering company this move makes sense. The AR market is saturated and by announcing this they just sold every one they had in inventory.

They'll focus on defense contracts for a few years, then bring their ARs back out to the public for a "limited time" and sell them like hot cakes.

In the meantime they can continue to focus on refining their handgun line for the civilian market.
No, this makes zero sense. They’re abandoning the American gun community, and I hope they close their ****ing doors.
I don’t know anyone who buys from cheaper than dirt anymore, are they still in business, yes. Are they making what they used to make, not a chance.
If they bring back their AR for a limited time I hope people remember this move and tell them to **** off.
They make a good rifle but that means nothing today. There are manufacturers that make them better and there are manufacturers that make them cheaper.
**** colt
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 07:19 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmgt View Post
No, this makes zero sense. They’re abandoning the American gun community, and I hope they close their ****ing doors.
How did they abandon the gun community? They didn't issue any statements about being anti civilian ownership. They are still selling pistols to the general public. What they are saying is that in world of 500 AR manufacturers they aren't making money.

For a company that has been bleeding money (Colt has been in financial trouble my whole life) a military contract can literally keep the doors open. Setting a rifle on the rack beside of a dozen that are priced half of what your are will never bring in the revenue that Uncle Sugar will.

Not to mention, I'm sure their credit rating with their suppliers is crap. They are probably as close to cash and carry as a company can be. You don't have that problem with a government contract.

I know the general community will see this as a betrayal, but unless they come out and issue some idiotic SJW statement about not wanting to supply "weapons of war" to the public or some other nonsense....I see this as a business decision to keep their doors open.

Their world isn't what it was 40 years ago when they were one of 3 suppliers of AR's, a quarter of the police departments carried 1911s and every baby boomer with disposable income wanted a cowboy gun just like John Wayne carried. They were slow to react to the market place and over the years it's cost them big time.

If I'm wrong and they do make some stupid statement I'll come back on and say that I was wrong. Right now though, I really don't understand the outrage.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 07:26 PM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 10,577 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
How did they abandon the gun community? They didn't issue any statements about being anti civilian ownership. They are still selling pistols to the general public. What they are saying is that in world of 500 AR manufacturers they aren't making money.

For a company that has been bleeding money (Colt has been in financial trouble my whole life) a military contract can literally keep the doors open. Setting a rifle on the rack beside of a dozen that are priced half of what your are will never bring in the revenue that Uncle Sugar will.

Not to mention, I'm sure their credit rating with their suppliers is crap. They are probably as close to cash and carry as a company can be. You don't have that problem with a government contract.

I know the general community will see this as a betrayal, but unless they come out and issue some idiotic SJW statement about not wanting to supply "weapons of war" to the public or some other nonsense....I see this as a business decision to keep their doors open.

Their world isn't what it was 40 years ago when they were one of 3 suppliers of AR's, a quarter of the police departments carried 1911s and every baby boomer with disposable income wanted a cowboy gun just like John Wayne carried. They were slow to react to the market place and over the years it's cost them big time.

If I'm wrong and they do make some stupid statement I'll come back on and say that I was wrong. Right now though, I really don't understand the outrage.
Maybe if they left tax hell Connecticut, they could afford to stay in business.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 07:33 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Quote:

For a company that has been bleeding money (Colt has been in financial trouble my whole life) a military contract can literally keep the doors open. Setting a rifle on the rack beside of a dozen that are priced half of what your are will never bring in the revenue that Uncle Sugar will...(snip)
This is white knighting. And fiscally wrong.
So, if their military contract is what is keeping them afloat (shich FN has the lions share of now BTW), then any civ sales are pure gravy.
In the world of 500 AR producers, Colts have still commanded a premium. Even with <$500 PSA's, etc... people would pay much more for 6920's and their ilk. And let's not kid ourselves, manufacturing on the $900-1000 6920 vs. the $480 PSA isn't that much different.

IF, and it's a big IF, their manufacturing couldn't keep up with civ manufacturing because of contract fulfillment (which I highly doubt), then they make the civ models they can, maybe the scarcity commands more of a premium, thus more profit.

This is purely a knee jerk SJW coward move. Nothing more. Weak leadership.
Exactly why they're in the position they're in.
It will hasten their demise, as those of us who buy AR's will now shun their over-priced 1911's.

Good riddance Colt. I hope a pro 2A manufacturer buys your name out of bankruptcy at some point and restores your honor. Because you've lost it now.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:37 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

`

I've wanted a Colt Delta Elite 10mm for a long time. Came real close a couple times to buying one, now I'm glad I didn't.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 07:49 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,141 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
Maybe if they left tax hell Connecticut, they could afford to stay in business.
And ditched the Union labor contracts...

If any one group is to blame it is them that caused the Colt company the greatest harm.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:54 PM
Prepared

Quote:
`

I've wanted a Colt Delta Elite 10mm for a long time. Came real close a couple times to buying one, now I'm glad I didn't.

Same here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SHTF MAN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,184 Times in 4,918 Posts

Quote:
`

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHTF MAN View Post
Same here.
Dan Wesson makes some fine 10mm 1911’s.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 08:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,041 Posts

This is only temporary.
Don't panic based on internet rumors.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
This is white knighting. And fiscally wrong.
So, if their military contract is what is keeping them afloat which FN has the lions share of now BTW), Yes they lost the contract in 2013 and went bankrupt in 2015. Civilian sales did not keep them afloat for long.then any civ sales are pure gravy.I don't think their production lines run the way that you think they do. A good contract with a reasonable lead time is going to tie up production. Big orders always take priority in manufacturing. Especially if you have enough inventory to feed your smaller markets. One report I read said they had 6 months worth of ARs in inventory. They will disappear in a week now though.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/9/12/the-truth-about-colts-ar-15-production/

From the ponies mouth. They are tied up with contracts (overseas is the rumor), the AR market is flat and they will be returning to production after their contracts are filled.
Again, they have said nothing to distance themselves from us. What they have said is "hey, we need to get/fill some military contracts". However, no one has ever accused them of having good management or communication skills.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 08:50 PM

They need free cash to ramp up production of the 2020 hand fitted Python.