Black bear kills Minnesota woman in Canada in rare attack - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-26-2019, 08:11 PM
Trapper

Advertise Here

Interesting, if not retrospectively funny story, regarding my brother in law who lives near Rainy Lake close to the above bear story. He was in his back yard last week when he saw a bear running full tilt toward him. He was frightened and in his words he "screamed like a girl". This startled the bear who changed directions and ran off into the woods. Turns out that the bear was originally startled by a car passing on the road, and accidentally with no ill intent, ran toward my brother in law. Woodchuck
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodchuck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 09:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,168 Posts

Embarrassingly, I’ve heard that little girl scream come from within me before. Nothing funny about it at the time, but funny when I share it with my friends later
Old 09-29-2019, 04:58 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 2,188 Times in 909 Posts

Minnesota woman....
Meh.....

Florida Woman would have killed it with her crack pipe while her baby daddy was stealing a cop car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2019, 05:12 PM
Target Shooter

Default Bears

Facing any kind of attacking Bear with a handgun is a potentially fatal recipe.

All handguns are small.

Your lethal shot that kills the bear may not work in time to keep him from killing you first.

The same thing applies to people.

We had a case a few years ago where a banker shot a bank robber through the heart with a 45 acp.

The robber dropped his rifle , turned around , walked out of the bank and fell dead in the shrubbery.

If he had been so inclined, he had time to empty his rifle in the bank.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:28 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,475 Times in 3,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post

All handguns are small.

Your lethal shot that kills the bear may not work in time to keep him from killing you first.

We had a case a few years ago where a banker shot a bank robber through the heart with a 45 acp.

The robber dropped his rifle , turned around , walked out of the bank and fell dead in the shrubbery.

But he wasn't inclined, the robber realized he was in serious trouble and went to die in a bush. It was a good shoot and an effective round.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2019, 03:15 AM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post

All handguns are small.

10mm would of vaporized him. Adrenalin or pcp is very effective
The Following User Says Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 11:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,463 Times in 3,874 Posts

I was up House Boat / fishing on Rainy Lake the week before last with 5 other extended family members. We parked the house boat on one of the islands for the week and made that our home base to fish from.

I read about this Bear Attack the week before going on the trip.

MN doesn't recognize my CCW plus the land surrounding Rainy Lake doesn't allow hunting. Kind of hard to justify a shotgun. Law for MN is cased and unloaded.

Tried finding some bear loads (Underwood or Buffalo Bore) for my 45 Colt Ruger Redhawk locally. No luck. I did find some 180gr HSM Bear Load 357 mags and brought those along with my Ruger Security Six.

I figure once on the uninhabited Island - no one is going to care and concealed is concealed. While bears do swim, I saw none on the island we stayed on.

I also had my Ruger LC9S, Glock 19, and AR15 Pistol with me. Had to leave the AR in the truck as there were just too many people at the boat launch area.

Some more pics.

Who would've guessed the reason it's named Rainy Lake?

Built a couple spit wood fires:

Brother in-law's boat broke down mid trip convincing him it's time for a new boat. He gave us the broken one. Probably needs a fuel pump. I towed it 1,050 miles home with my 4Runner:

Was a nice relaxing trip. I'm not much for fishing and had little luck personally. My nephews caught 12 Walleye and 3 Northern Pike. We all had a great time none the less.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 08:49 PM
Trapper

[QUOTE=drobs;19812818]I was up House Boat / fishing on Rainy Lake the week before last with 5 other extended family members. We parked the house boat on one of the islands for the week and made that our home base to fish from.

Looks like a small island that I know of off of the end of Drywood Island. But then there are thousands of islands on Rainy. Hope you had a good time. I have a place on Last Island (oops lost my opsec). PM me next time you are up that way.
Woodchuck
Old 10-07-2019, 08:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,463 Times in 3,874 Posts

[quote=Woodchuck;19815062]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
I was up House Boat / fishing on Rainy Lake the week before last with 5 other extended family members. We parked the house boat on one of the islands for the week and made that our home base to fish from.

Looks like a small island that I know of off of the end of Drywood Island. But then there are thousands of islands on Rainy. Hope you had a good time. I have a place on Last Island (oops lost my opsec). PM me next time you are up that way.
Woodchuck
Thanks for the offer. Pretty country up there in the North Woods!

We parked the houseboat rented from: https://www.rainylakehouseboats.com/
on The Duckfoot Islands which has a sandy beach. It was a 15 hour drive up there for us and might've been a once in a lifetime type of trip. I would still like to see the Boundary Waters sometime though. Will keep you in mind if I ever come up that way again.

We broke the drive up both ways. Spent a night in a hotel in St. Paul on the way up and had Breakfast with a college buddy who I haven't in 10 years. I was the best man at his wedding.

On the way back home, we stayed in Ames, Iowa right across from the University of Iowa. Looked like a fun college town.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:30 PM
Trapper

[quote=drobs;19815600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post

Thanks for the offer. Pretty country up there in the North Woods!

We parked the houseboat rented from: https://www.rainylakehouseboats.com/
on The Duckfoot Islands which has a sandy beach. It was a 15 hour drive up there for us and might've been a once in a lifetime type of trip. I would still like to see the Boundary Waters sometime though. Will keep you in mind if I ever come up that way again.

We broke the drive up both ways. Spent a night in a hotel in St. Paul on the way up and had Breakfast with a college buddy who I haven't in 10 years. I was the best man at his wedding.

On the way back home, we stayed in Ames, Iowa right across from the University of Iowa. Looked like a fun college town.
Sounds like you had a good time! Duckfoot Islands are a ways off from where my place is located. We usually spend the summer up there (June-September), but have closed the place up for the winter now. Although our cottage was built to live in 4 seasons, fall freeze-up and spring break-up would leave one stranded on the island for months at a time. My wife is originally from "The Falls" and we regard Rainy Lake as our second home. We are pretty self sufficient there with complete solar, hot and cold running water etc. Woodchuck