Scout Rifle. Another historical Mauser bites the dust... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 08-29-2019, 04:01 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 16,169 Times in 3,742 Posts
Default Scout Rifle. Another historical Mauser bites the dust...

Advertise Here

The scout rifle (as envisioned by Col Jeff Cooper) is a somewhat dated concept that a lot of people don't seem to subscribe to these days. In fact, it was always kind of a niche rifle. Be that as it may, I always found it intriguing, and wanted to have one. I never have... until now. Back story first.. then scroll down to the photo...

My father-in-law had an uncle who served in Italy during WWII. He came home with (of all things) a Brazilian Mauser in 7x57. It's been in my wife's family ever sense. Several years back (before "Unkie" passed) he gave the rifle to my FIL. It hadn't been fired in probably 30 or 40 years. I married my wife 24 years ago, and even when we were dating it had never been fired. Just a story to be told. Anyway, my FIL put it on a rack on the wall, and there it sat (covered in dust) till this spring. Same story. The stock is uncomfortable, can't see with the sights... I finally talked him into taking it out on one of our range days, and after shooting it once, he gave it to me. (with the caveat that it become his grandson's one day)

Now I know what a lot of you are thinking... WHAT? This guy just took a war bring back, numbers matching Mauser, and butchered it into a scout rifle? I think the term "Bubba" is floating around in some heads... Well, yes... Yes I did. History aside, it does nobody any good hanging on a wall for decades, not getting used. Hell, Unkie had it in the corner of his closet... Now I can use it. One day, my son will use it, and he will know that his grandpa's uncle brought it back from WWII. THAT, ladies, and gentlemen, is history. It's probably what happened to most of the bring backs, so if you are a serious collector, yours is now worth more. You're welcome. Besides, by mounting the scout scope, (and not a traditional scope) I can still see the Brazilian crest on the receiver ring...

The 29" barrel was cut to 20'. This will now allow it to fit in my gun cabinet. The Surefire Warcomp (matching my ARs) will allow for suppressor use, and possibly tame the already soft 7x57 recoil.

I ordered a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Scout Scope for it. This, I really have mixed feelings about, and all I've done so far is walk around with it in the woods on my property. At 2 power, boom, it's right there. At 3 or even 4, it's all good, but at anything higher you have to start stretching your neck out to get closer to the scope. It's practically unusable at 7 power unless you're a giraffe. Now I understand If I'm taking a distant shot, I'll be taking my time anyway, no snap shot here, but it's damn uncomfortable, and may go back. Maybe a Leupold. Also thinking about just going red dot. I love red dots... The mount is simply a left over section of picatinny rail bolted to the rear sight base that's been milled flat.

The original plan was just have the scope mount sticking out through the top wood, but I saw that Hogue stock... The Hogue stock speaks for itself... so comfy. Had to have it. I may also spring for the XS scout scope mount in the future now that I went with the Hogue stock, as the modified original sight base kinda looks clunky, but it does work...

The straight bolt handle was fine. Just got the bent bolt because the Hogue stock had a cut out for one, and would look weird with the straight bolt, but it works real well. I move my hand just the smallest bit, and the handle is right there. Good call Mr. Gunsmith. I had him spray it with clear Krylon so it would kinda match the receiver as the original did. The receivers were left in the white with the rest getting blued. There is some pitting on the front ring right along the stock line (after 100+ years) but overall, it's in very good shape. At least the bore is good.

Still undecided on sights yet. Waiting on more money, and looking for a rear peep that won't interfere with stripper clip feeding.

Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 04:07 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,119 Times in 356 Posts

Ugh.

Ten characters.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to .455_Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 05:28 PM
Prepared

There's a scout rifle thread in the firearms forum. Don't think this really needs to be in military weapons.

For a bonus I actually posted Art of the Rifle in the other forum, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vodka Wizard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 05:54 PM

I don’t get too worked up at bubba-izing a military arm as long as it’s done with good workmanship. If it was a rare one of a kind I might feel different, but it’s literally one of millions. Even if the vast majority are gone, there are probably thousands to tens of thousands still available in original condition. Looks like you’re doing a nice job on the conversion and you should end up with a handy rifle.

Admittedly my view may be biased because I am a fan of scout rifles and covet one myself, though it could have very limited utility for me as bottle neck cartridges aren’t allowed for hunting where I live.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 06:04 PM
Retired Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka Wizard View Post
There's a scout rifle thread in the firearms forum. Don't think this really needs to be in military weapons.

For a bonus I actually posted Art of the Rifle in the other forum, too.
Maybe some admin type could move this thread to the appropriate area. I put it here seeing as how it was based on a military action.

I subscribed to that 'Art" thread so I could read it later. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 06:08 PM
Retired Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny View Post
I donít get too worked up at bubba-izing a military arm as long as itís done with good workmanship. If it was a rare one of a kind I might feel different, but itís literally one of millions. Even if the vast majority are gone, there are probably thousands to tens of thousands still available in original condition. Looks like youíre doing a nice job on the conversion and you should end up with a handy rifle.

Admittedly my view may be biased because I am a fan of scout rifles and covet one myself, though it could have very limited utility for me as bottle neck cartridges arenít allowed for hunting where I live.
All the freedom loving people just have to tell me how to live my life.

I took a family hand-me-down Brazilian 7mm that hasn't been fired in 30 or 40 years, and made it useful again... Now get a second life, but there's no free lunch.

I feel like Trump surrounded by the media with all the hate I've been getting for destroying a piece of history... I must be racist against Germany, or Brazil...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 06:19 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,119 Times in 356 Posts

You posted this expecting 100% attaboys?

I hope the Mauser was NOT a pristine example with a great bore and and matching numbers. The number of those around is very limited.

Anything in less condition and I could care less what you did to it.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,082 Times in 1,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
All the freedom loving people just have to tell me how to live my life.

I took a family hand-me-down Brazilian 7mm that hasn't been fired in 30 or 40 years, and made it useful again... Now get a second life, but there's no free lunch.

I feel like Trump surrounded by the media with all the hate I've been getting for destroying a piece of history... I must be racist against Germany, or Brazil...
I took at 1893 7mm made by Lowe in Berlin with the star of David on the receiver and turned down the bolt, had it drilled and tapped, and had ENGRAVED my son in laws last name on the bolt. Made a beautiful rifle for a birthday gift. The stock was already cut down my someone so I just refinished that. Now something that most would not look twice at on a gun show rack is a beautiful rifle to be handed down to his son.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clc79092 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 06:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,186 Times in 4,918 Posts

So this is at least two threads youíve trolled for comments in...

You keep saying it was unused for years, you could have corrected that by selling it to someone who would have appreciated it for what it was and used the money to buy a real scout rifle.

There, you got someone to comment, now stop trolling in other threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 06:53 PM
Retired Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by .455_Hunter View Post
You posted this expecting 100% attaboys?

I hope the Mauser was NOT a pristine example with a great bore and and matching numbers. The number of those around is very limited.

Anything in less condition and I could care less what you did to it.
Good bore, some mild pitting on the receiver ring at he stock line, but yes, numbers matching.

Family heirloom, so it's never gonna be sold, but not worth anything to us as a collectible. None of us collect. It's the only Mauser in the family. There is a Jap Arisaka too, but nobody want that...It may get sold. Anyway, it was unshootable with a crappy stock, and even worse sights. That's why it sat for so many years... Now it will see use, and Unkie will be remembered more.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:57 PM
Retired Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
So this is at least two threads youíve trolled for comments in...

You keep saying it was unused for years, you could have corrected that by selling it to someone who would have appreciated it for what it was and used the money to buy a real scout rifle.

There, you got someone to comment, now stop trolling in other threads.
NEVER. What it WAS, and IS, is a rifle brought back by a family member.

Nobody else could ever appreciate that like we can...

That's not trolling... That's you not getting it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 08:55 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,778 Times in 9,746 Posts

OP, sounds like you are well on your way getting an unloved/unused Mauser back to work. Hope you complete the job, take it hunting, and pass it down.

One of the most rewarding jobs I completed was rebarreling a fine Mauser 98 action for a good friend of mine. I installed a premium stainless 270 Win barrel, then epoxy bedding it to beautiful thumbhole maple stock. Since the original metal work had been done by my friends father, the completed rifle was now a cherished hierloom.

The real tragety is when a rifle is unloved, unused, and collecting dust. It take great skill to produce a cherished hierloom.
If this is your first time, you might want to take a couple NRA Summer classes. https://gunsmithing.nra.org/find-a-school/
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 09:08 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,752 Times in 716 Posts

I like it, though I'd never do it to a rifle myself.

Back when I still had my K31s I would use one of the clamp on scope mounts, and that was it. I couldn't bring myself to irreversibly mess with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 02:33 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,028 Times in 1,879 Posts

It's your gun, and I will defend to the death your right to make it into whatever abomination you choose to. Lord knows I've done it.... though I was in my early 20's....

It screams for a Krylon cammo job.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 03:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,996 Times in 19,129 Posts

Quote:
Good bore, some mild pitting on the receiver ring at he stock line, but yes, numbers matching.

Family heirloom, so it's never gonna be sold, but not worth anything to us as a collectible. None of us collect.
Thank GOD my dad wasn't like you.

Didn't really care about guns, but didn't hard chrome my grandfather's 3rd year of production 1873 Colt!

Or my Grandfather who didn't want to mess with guns after WW2 Who kept his bring back AND his father's Colt and Winchester for me.

I am grateful they kept them and Didn't BUTCHER them because 'they didn't care.'

Oh, and **** you, which is what one of your decendants is gonna think (along with: 'how stupid could this idiot have been!')s

Keep the Jap gun, someone will care even if you don't. They aren't yours, just held in trust by you. You've already screwed it up once, don't double down on stupid.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 10:47 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,232 Times in 7,785 Posts

Congratulations on destroying history and turning an $800 rifle into a $200 sporter OP.

Shoulda left it in original condition and just bought a different rifle. Commonly find hacked up sporter rifles and modern rifles for $300.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 11:10 AM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 9,356 Times in 3,631 Posts

next time someone wants to alter a rifle they'd better poll the community first.

your family's gun. do the heck what u want with it.

imagine the gun's perspective. 'finally, back in action. let's roll!'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 11:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,186 Times in 4,918 Posts

Quote:
NEVER. What it WAS, and IS, is a rifle brought back by a family member.

Nobody else could ever appreciate that like we can...

That's not trolling... That's you not getting it.
If you appreciated it you wouldnít have hacked it up.

Your thread title is an attempt to troll for disparaging comments.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 11:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,996 Times in 19,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorsam View Post
next time someone wants to alter a rifle they'd better poll the community first.

your family's gun. do the heck what u want with it.

imagine the gun's perspective. 'finally, back in action. let's roll!'
Key phrase there.

Family. Not his.

If it was one he had Picked up at a yard sale for $5, I'd of disagreed with spending more money than the gun was now worth to make it worth less, but I'd not of had the same prespective.

But (again) it's NOT HIS. It's held in trust BY HIM for his family.
And he violated that trust.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 11:55 AM
Retired Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
They aren't yours, just held in trust by you.
That your leftist version of "You didn't build that"?

Is it OK if I drive my car to the VFW today?

How about I have sex with my wife? Is that all right with you boss?

You misunderstand freedom boy...

Even those idiot anti-gunners who destroy rifles out of protest have the right to if it's their property. I hate seeing that, but it just makes mine more valuable, and some company still made a profit by selling it...