SO AS a prepper, do you take these natural disasters into consideration? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 08-30-2019, 07:06 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,540 Times in 1,181 Posts

Advertise Here

OK.. so the law and rules have broken down, the whole thing is coming apart at the seams
and
people are starting to stream from the cities...

and mother nature lets loose.

A cat 4 hurricane is slated to slam into the southern gulf coast between Texas and FLA coast. No one really knows where because communications re -weather situations have stopped several days ago due to the breakdown of society.

How do you continue your mission regarding guarding your space, as well as dealing with weather..rain,wind possible flooding and tornado spin offs ?

Does flooding potential from the feet of rain predicted before the NWS went silent have an effect on your overall plans?
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,850 Times in 6,415 Posts

FIRST you prep for extreme weather, because that's a much higher probability event than SHTF social breakdown. THEN you expand your preps to cover the latter.

I learned prepping in the 1950s, for hurricanes and blizzards. My folks had survived the Great Depression, so they also prepped for economic hardship.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 08:20 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,137 Times in 3,380 Posts

Tornadoes, thunderstorms, lightning, hail, high winds, snow (and more snow), sleet, sneet, snirt, ice, haz mat spill/leak, house fire, loss of power/water/sewer/storm sewer, water contamination, burglary/theft/home invasion, assault/robbery, financial/legal/administrative, transportation/communication interruption, persecution, vehicle breakdown, sickness/injury, dog/cat illness/injury, getting old, dying...

Some preps are good for multiple S. Death is inevitable.

When I moved here, I ditched forest fire, dust storm, earthquake, well/well pump issues, but picked up interruption of municipal water supply and sewer/storm sewer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,222 Times in 8,099 Posts

I am in a unique situation in that I am severely mentally ill, completely dependent on medication and a quiet environment, am a caregiver...

I was thinking today about women's issues, especially as they approach middle age, and how two of my closest female relatives had to have hysterectomies. I have remained healthy, praise God... but I did a little thinking what if I did need major surgery?

Who would take care of my husband? And I realized someone would either have to move into the house or he would have to go to a nursing home, without me.

People talk about joining groups... No group wants us, I'm on my own.

I can't talk about some of what I've done. But I can say I have a pretty good stash of kratom and he is stingy using his pain pills. He goes through a lot of vodka but has nothing stashed, that is going to suck for him with DT'S. I don't help him with alcohol.

I also have 6 cats and don't/can't drive so bugging out is impossible. My street floods easily so I will be at home like I have been the last couple events. Re: the cats I have extra water, one cat's special food, and a basic formula all the cats like to eat for the other 5. I do not have a carrier for each cat.

One thing I did start doing: treating my yard for fire ants. Flooding drives the ants inside my home, where they go after us. Pretty miserable.

We have an extra wheelchair, commode chair, homecare supplies. I also have physical strength to get him off the floor and assist in his care.

I am pretty pleased with the food and water situation for us. We even have extra cat treats, he goes through a lot of treats. All the cats are chipped save one who is still a kitten.

All disasters look pretty much the same here, no transportation, no electricity (although we kept it during harvey) and possible loss of water (kept it in harvey). We have our insurance papers in a waterproof storage box so we can call for assistance should we need it.

And, like I said, some things I will not talk about but transportation is definitely out.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,433 Times in 453 Posts

Yup I sure do....as some of the other posts here have mentioned.....I prep for hurricanes being in that zone.

Natural disasters are a fact of life and if you live long enough you will experience one or the other at some point.

There are very few places you can live in the US where you are exempt.

The minute you loose power is the minute you are deploying some type of preps.

HK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henrykjr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 06:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
I don't/can't drive .
I'd say you are high on the list for a self-driving vehicle~!
They're coming. Save up some money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mule Skinner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 07:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,927 Times in 19,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Pretty sure my basement is not going to get sucked out of the ground by a tornado. I put several thousand lbs of rebar and four trucks loads of concrete in the footings, and four more truck loads in the walls. Then back filled the walls with eight ft of dirt and clay.

If folks are concerned about tornados, winter storms, extreme weather, or forest fires, they should consider insulated concrete form walls, and a steel roof.
5 years from now I'm planning on ICF walls and a concrete roof.

This year was to be the "year of the duplex" but became "the year of the orchard" so in about 2 years I'm going to start architect shopping. (Fortunately I have 2 friends with ICF houses, one is a former architect.)

Plan is to be stout enough that a tornado can dance on it. I know it's doable, it's no been done with dome houses and mine will be inletted into a hillside.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,927 Times in 19,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
OK.. so the law and rules have broken down, the whole thing is coming apart at the seams
and
people are starting to stream from the cities...

and mother nature lets loose.

A cat 4 hurricane is slated to slam into the southern gulf coast between Texas and FLA coast. No one really knows where because communications re -weather situations have stopped several days ago due to the breakdown of society.

How do you continue your mission regarding guarding your space, as well as dealing with weather..rain,wind possible flooding and tornado spin offs ?

Does flooding potential from the feet of rain predicted before the NWS went silent have an effect on your overall plans?
Now you know why I moved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 08:42 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
FIRST you prep for extreme weather, because that's a much higher probability event than SHTF social breakdown. THEN you expand your preps to cover the latter.

I learned prepping in the 1960s, for hurricanes and blizzards. My folks had survived the Great Depression, so they also prepped for economic hardship.
My families lived through the Coal Mines and Wars in England and the Wars and Depressions both here and in UK. Two families in two countries. I learned from both. They all prepped to some extent. I learned and do a lot of the same.

As for weather events I am prepped. As for SHTF that depends on what the SHFT event is and how long it lasts.

I can live without electric and have done for a period of time. I can do that for a longer period of time if needed to. My wife would collapse and has into a heap during Hurricane Sandy and we were fine. We just lost power for 13 days. Me? I am OK to live for a long long time without much.

I have plans and have prepped.
The Following User Says Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,534 Times in 1,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
DIDN'T want to pirate the Dorian thread.

SO..
you live in a state where shi... er..a big weather events happens..
Do you take them into consideration for your preps as just the course of doing business
or
are they so rare an event that you really don't think about.. "OK how do I prepare for TSHTF AND a Cat 4 hurricane at the same time?" After all they do present different issues to deal with.

What happens to your preps if you live in tornado alley and well, while the world is coming to an end a cold front starts causing tornadoes to sprout?

Just curious.

I live in northern Mich so even without the world ending we have to prepare for blizzards that take out power and stop everything anyway. You get almost 4 feet of snow from a single event and you know you aren't going anywhere for a while and power staying on is a real luxury.

Just curious about you folks who might get nature at its worst.
Yes. I consider another White Hurricane to be our most likely widespread natural diesaster. I'm across the state from you, so would likely get less snow, but still out in the woods where I'm one of the last in the area to get power restored.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Storm_of_1913

https://dustyoldthing.com/the-white-hurricane-of-1913/

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...icane-of-1913/

Last edited by Potawami II; 09-03-2019 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Links Added
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 32,458 Times in 7,846 Posts

We have severe snowstorms once in a while. Those will cause power outages. They are also a real hassle to clear. One caused multiple people here in CT to lose power for weeks. We didn't ever lose it that time but did lose the internet. Cell Phone service was hit-and-miss.

We do see tornadoes but being higher up seems to help as those seem to run through the lower elevations. Hurricanes I have already discussed, and wildfires aren't a big deal around here. The biggest threat we have is lightning storms and those have done some damage around here.
The Following User Says Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 08:42 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,024 Times in 3,636 Posts

I consciously chose a location that precludes pretty much every natural disaster and most man-made ones. So not much in my planning.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:35 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,850 Times in 6,415 Posts

I think I did, too. Wanted moderate climate, but that's about all. Got settled in with multiple generators and 500+ gallons of fuel in a farm tank, but in ten years I doubt the power's been out for than an hour all told. We can get flooding in the ravines, but nobody here is dumb enough to build on such low ground. I can be isolated from town if the roads ice up, but that never lasts more than a day or two. Big risk around here now is the gas drillers.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:40 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,319 Times in 8,796 Posts

You have to remember that most weather related events are short term incidents that are pretty much done with in a few hours and most repair work is finished in a few weeks. If you live anywhere, there will be local events that will hit in your area from time-to-time. Most people will be aware of these local events and plan to survive them or work around them. In California, for example, earthquakes and wildfires are the two biggest headaches people there can have. In the Midwest, temperature extremes between excessive cold and hot periods, over 100+ and -100 degrees temperatures in a year, have been known to occur so people there are ready for those, unless you live in Chicago. On the east coast you have hurricanes and northeasters that can blow down your house in a fierce gale force wind. But also keep in mind that there's nothing to say that the Midwest and the east coast can't be hit with an earthquake too.

What that means is that the smart person plans, in general, to meet any and all disasters in any way that he/she can. There is no way that you can prepare for all emergencies. Nobody can do that. All you can do is use common sense, plan for local disasters based upon your area's previous history of disasters and see if that works. That means you need to research your area in depth and use forethought. After that you can build up your supplies, brace yourself and wait and see how things go for you. A well prepared man will feel a lot more comfortable or relaxed than one that isn't prepared at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 03:15 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 2,200 Times in 914 Posts

Fire is all I have to worry about here.
I've prepped for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 03:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,613 Times in 3,748 Posts

I primarily prep for natural disaster, as it's most likely to occur. The two events that concern me the most are flooding and heavy snow/winter blackouts. In the event of flooding I have a BOB and can get to higher ground in a few minutes, but that would be for after sandbagging efforts fail.

Heavy snow and the potential blackout that may result are covered with alternative heating/lighting sources, Indoor approved catalytic heaters, oil lamps, candles and a generator, along with food water and a means of cooking on my enclosed back porch since I'm not overly keen on using a camp stove indoors. Large pots for melting snow and 3 ways to purify that water.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:53 PM

You should prep for things in order of likelihood. First is personal issues: health and financial disasters. Second would be natural disasters, and third would be civil unrest (often proceeded by 2). One is way off base if they are not preparing for natural disasters, but have some other unlikely pet thing they do prep for: like alien invasions, magnetic pole inversions, asteroids hitting the planet, etc. Personally, I steer clear of "preppers" that don't prep for likely scenarios first-- and I don't want them around me and mine when the balloon goes up.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:33 AM
Prepared

My primary concern is weather, tornado or blizzard. In 2014 a spring tornado went though town about a block away. It never touched down but still took out 2 blocks of large trees. Power was out for a day which was not a problem as no heat or AC was needed. In the late summer another tornado passed by a mile from town completely destroying 6 farm places and taking out power for 2 days. AC would have been nice but it was still livable. We have a very secure storm room containing water and food for a week in the basement that will withstand any tornado so all is OK there. Only problem for folks who do not have a backup source of food and water are in trouble as the only place for resupply is a DG.
Flooding is not a concern as we have the high ground but it is still an inconvenience as the 25 mile trip for groceries is now 45 miles. Most people are bitching about the longer trip but still do not buy more supplies than are needed for more than a week.
The bottom line is most people in our area refuse to do what is needed to take care of themselves regardless of the type of disaster that faces them.
The Following User Says Thank You to S Roche For This Useful Post: