2 million 9mm pistols born in 2018 as gun production numbers grow - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-26-2019, 12:36 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,178 Posts
Default 2 million 9mm pistols born in 2018 as gun production numbers grow

Advertise Here

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/08/23...n-numbers-grow

2 MILLION 9MM PISTOLS BORN IN 2018 AS GUN PRODUCTION NUMBERS GROW

Initial gun production numbers are in from 2018, showing an increase from the previous yearís figures and the solid popularity of 9mm handguns.

According to the latest figures from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 8,669,259 new firearms of all sorts were produced last year. This is up from 8,327,792 released into commerce in 2017.

The largest single category of firearms produced in 2018 was in pistols chambered larger than .380ACP to 9mm, with 2,281,450 handguns logged. This is up significantly from 1,756,618 in the same category reported in 2017.

By further comparison, 11.49 million new firearms were produced in 2016 ó a modern record ó while just over 9 million were produced in both 2015 and 2014. Earlier in the century, domestic gun production numbers remained largely constant at between 3 to 4 million from 2000 to 2008 and then began surging upwards to the 2016 peak, coinciding with the administration of President Obama.

The latest information comes as part of the interim installment of the ATFís Annual Firearms Manufacturers and Export Report. These reports, compiled from all licensed gun makers in the country large and small, are delayed a year due to the Trade Secrets Act. Because of this, the full 2018 data, broken down by manufacturers, will not be available until next year.

According to the full 2017 report, the top six domestic makers of 9mm pistols in the country by volumeĖ not counting firearms that were imported from overseasĖ were Smith & Wesson (606,732 produced), Sig Sauer (368,264), Ruger (163,865), SCCY (150,235), Kimber (98,385) and Glock (94,665).
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 01:11 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,292 Times in 26,242 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

And that doesn't count the homebrewed 80%ers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 01:30 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,133 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
https://www.guns.com/news/2019/08/23...n-numbers-grow

2 MILLION 9MM PISTOLS BORN IN 2018 AS GUN PRODUCTION NUMBERS GROW

Initial gun production numbers are in from 2018, showing an increase from the previous year’s figures and the solid popularity of 9mm handguns.

According to the latest figures from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 8,669,259 new firearms of all sorts were produced last year. This is up from 8,327,792 released into commerce in 2017.

The largest single category of firearms produced in 2018 was in pistols chambered larger than .380ACP to 9mm, with 2,281,450 handguns logged. This is up significantly from 1,756,618 in the same category reported in 2017.

By further comparison, 11.49 million new firearms were produced in 2016 — a modern record — while just over 9 million were produced in both 2015 and 2014. Earlier in the century, domestic gun production numbers remained largely constant at between 3 to 4 million from 2000 to 2008 and then began surging upwards to the 2016 peak, coinciding with the administration of President Obama.

The latest information comes as part of the interim installment of the ATF’s Annual Firearms Manufacturers and Export Report. These reports, compiled from all licensed gun makers in the country large and small, are delayed a year due to the Trade Secrets Act. Because of this, the full 2018 data, broken down by manufacturers, will not be available until next year.

According to the full 2017 report, the top six domestic makers of 9mm pistols in the country by volume– not counting firearms that were imported from overseas– were Smith & Wesson (606,732 produced), Sig Sauer (368,264), Ruger (163,865), SCCY (150,235), Kimber (98,385) and Glock (94,665).
I’m surprised to see Glock
So far down the list. Are they still making many guns over seas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 02:14 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 8,063 Times in 2,598 Posts

`

Not surprising to me. The U.S. Army & FBI just got new guns, both in 9mm. Then of course there's a flood of State & Local agencies following suit, therefore a bunch of civilians also have to have whatever the Govt. is carrying. Also with all the threats of being banned, many people may not want an AR or other long gun, but want SOMETHING, so they get a pistol & most gun dealers will tell them if they get a pistol get a 9mm & if they want a revolver get a .38, so more sales of 9mm. I do wonder if firearms sales numbers include stripped lowers? I imagine they would. While I know they don't keep track of 80% lowers as they aren't considered firearms, I'd also be curious to know how many of those are being sold. All I can say is, GET 'EM WHILE THEY'RE HOT (or cold for that matter)!

Old 08-26-2019, 02:16 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 8,063 Times in 2,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
I’m surprised to see Glock
`

I don't think foreign manufacturers are inclined to tell a U.S. govt. agency how many guns they produce. They would have to tell them how many are imported in the U.S. but that's about it. Also it says those numbers at the end of the OP don't count guns imported, it also says they're a year behind with those stats.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:39 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,178 Posts

JUST because it is popular doesn't make the best or right.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,837 Times in 2,413 Posts

Quote:
Iím surprised to see Glock
Glock still makes the majority of their pistols oversees and imports them. Some of their smaller pistols have to be made here but the vast majority of their full size and compacts are still made in Austria and imported. This is why they are so far down the list.

Glock sold 100,000 19x pistols in 180 days which were entirely imported and that is just 1 of their 9mm pistols and only half the year. It is easy to see that they are still at the top.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...100k-180-days/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 03:29 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,691 Times in 9,729 Posts

This is not due to police or military contracts, this is due to law abiding Americans waking up, and arming themselves.
I bet there is a similar spike in new consealed weapons permits.

Lots of rural folks around me used to carry a 4" revolver in 357 mag, or a 38 snubbie.
Now the most popular carry guns are police buyback pistols in 40 cal, or the Ruger LC9s in 9mm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 06:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,607 Times in 5,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Lots of rural folks around me used to carry a 4" revolver in 357 mag, or a 38 snubbie.

Now the most popular carry guns are police buyback pistols in 40 cal, or the Ruger LC9s in 9mm.
A couple LGS I frequent often have a number of police trade-ins. The Glock 21SF was one of those. And, lo' and behold, an Easter Bunny. Other than the factory proof firing, it had never been fired. Likely not even issued. No holster wear marks whatsoever.

One of the workers there is a friend of mine and retired deputy. He said it is common practice when the agency trades in for new weapons they are all traded in regardless if they were ever issued or not.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 06:55 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,691 Times in 9,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
A couple LGS I frequent often have a number of police trade-ins. The Glock 21SF was one of those. And, lo' and behold, an Easter Bunny. Other than the factory proof firing, it had never been fired. Likely not even issued. No holster wear marks whatsoever.

One of the workers there is a friend of mine and retired deputy. He said it is common practice when the agency trades in for new weapons they are all traded in regardless if they were ever issued or not.
I bought a Sig 229 like that a couple yrs ago. My guess is either very limited use or complete factory refurb, because the barrel had no real wear.

Almost new Sig for under $500, yes please. May I have another?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,261 Times in 3,829 Posts

Quote:
Iím surprised to see Glock
S&Wís M&P pistol is stealing Glockís thunder, much better gun.
Glocks were reliable until gen 4, to make a gen 4 reliable you had to change the extractor, use this mag follower, whatever. My friend is a Glock guy from way back, when his gen 4 started stove piping and bouncing spent casings off his forehead he started to reconsider.

Glad to see people still buying, warms the heart.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,874 Posts

The anti's continue to claim gun ownership has been falling......It's just a smaller and smaller number of Americans that keep buying these newly manufactured guns.

Of course they base this on surveys done by anti gun groups, where a minimum wage stranger calls you or knocks on your door, and asks if you own any firearms and if so what kind and number of them you own. Yeah......

"Guns"? "Heck no, no guns in this house"....

The Following User Says Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 12:08 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmgt View Post
S&Wís M&P pistol is stealing Glockís thunder, much better gun.
Glocks were reliable until gen 4, to make a gen 4 reliable you had to change the extractor, use this mag follower, whatever. My friend is a Glock guy from way back, when his gen 4 started stove piping and bouncing spent casings off his forehead he started to reconsider.
The Gen 4 9mm is the only one that's consistently given me problems, after updating the parts. Thankfully I have several Gen 3's.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,365 Posts

We are finding the Gen 5's to be excellent as well (1700 issued).
The Following User Says Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed70 View Post
We are finding the Gen 5's to be excellent as well (1700 issued).
I have noted that. Perhaps they figured out why they screwed the pooch on the Gen 4's.
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 07:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,185 Times in 4,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post

When PA dumped their G21ís I ended up with four.
Three were from our Liquor Control Board and were absolutely new in the box, even the PSP issued one I got must have been from someone that sat at a desk more than anything, like new with the slightest holster wear on the top of the slide.

Iím on so many forums where people refuse to even look at a used gun that Iím baffled by this line of thinking.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 12:11 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
When PA dumped their G21ís I ended up with four.
Three were from our Liquor Control Board and were absolutely new in the box, even the PSP issued one I got must have been from someone that sat at a desk more than anything, like new with the slightest holster wear on the top of the slide.

Iím on so many forums where people refuse to even look at a used gun that Iím baffled by this line of thinking.
Couldn't agree more. Most people just don't know what to look for to determine the condition of a used gun before they buy it. A little high spot wear on a carry pistol, or a nick on a hunting rifle stock, and they think it's used and abused.

Shooting, holstering, and carrying a brand new gun for the first time, always bothers me a little bit, even though I have done it lots. Probably just the poor kid in me, but if I can buy a gun used for a reasonable savings, I always do. I love not putting the first scratch on it.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 10:47 PM
Near The Glow

Thanked 1,674 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:
I got must have been from someone that sat at a desk more than anything, like new with the slightest holster wear on the top of the slide.
Ditto, I ended up with 3 Glock 22's from Gunbroker. Two of them are practically new.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:04 AM
Tryin' every day

I have no doubt that the number of 300 million guns in the US is way way low.

The FBI has done 152 million NICS ( background) checks since Jan 2013.
Im sure half of the guns were not bought in the last 15 yrs with the other half bought in the previous 150 years. Panic buying or not.

This number does not include transactions where a NICS is not required like PA, who use their own instate data base, states that waive the bg if you have a CCW permit, person to person sales,C&R sales and the notorious "Gun Show Loophole".

Yep, there is a lot of fire power around and the count keeps going up.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,684 Times in 785 Posts

Me: "Hi, I'm PatrioticAmerican, and I have a problem. "
12-step Members: "Hi, PatrioticAmerican"
Me: "I bought a 9mm for the first time in 30 years...and I loved it!"
12-step Members: "Welcome to ballistaholics."