Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-03-2019, 08:06 AM
Hail to the King, Baby

Thanked 3,355 Times in 921 Posts

Advertise Here

US Army sleep system, extra bivy (or 9 mil garbage bags) to use as a sleep pad filled with debris, or an inflatable mattress, but I am not current with civilian versions of those. Pick and choose which components you want to take along, with a USGI poncho for a wind break.

Good military gear wins every time, it's TOUGH and proven.

If it's too heavy, do some extra reps to offset.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2019, 08:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,104 Times in 1,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledPatriot View Post
US Army sleep system, extra bivy (or 9 mil garbage bags) to use as a sleep pad filled with debris, or an inflatable mattress, but I am not current with civilian versions of those. Pick and choose which components you want to take along, with a USGI poncho for a wind break.

Not that the OP cares(he hasnít responded since first post) but he did ask for lightweight. Those MSS bags are nice and stout but not what Iíd call light or compact.
If I was looking for something that might last for years the MSS would fit the bill, I just wouldnít want to carry it very far or often.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,464 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

No, just no. That setup is 4x heavier and bulkier than a proper backpacking sleep system. My sleep system for most of my backpacking is a 20F Zpacks hybrid with a Thermarest Xtherm. The two come in at 2.29lbs, pack down small and keep me very warm down to 20F. These days you can go even lighter.

For contrast, your suggestion is around 10lbs, won't be as comfortable (isn't viable in many areas), and would take up an entire pack. MSS is great for car camping, I used mine over the weekend and it's my go to when not on the go.

People, please stop posting things like this. The OP specifically asked for lightweight suggestions; start a new thread (or resurrect one of the hundred or more on this forum) if you want to talk about your current setup and the reason you like it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to evilwhitey For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 01:31 PM
Hail to the King, Baby

Thanked 3,355 Times in 921 Posts

Just offering what I am familiar with.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:23 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Just offering what I am familiar with.
Totally understand, and sorry if it felt like a personal attack. There are soooo many ways to skin a cat, and that's what I love about this forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to evilwhitey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 02:01 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,735 Times in 944 Posts

Western Mountaineering, How warm you wanna go $$$$$? Top Quality. I have the Alpine Lite for my John Muir Trail Hike. Its the widest bag they make as well. Made in USA http://www.westernmountaineering.com/about/
Old 09-06-2019, 11:12 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,175 Times in 8,888 Posts

A good sleeping bag isn't the place to save money IMHO. Have a set of clean long johns, socks, gloves and a beanie hat that you only wear in the bag will help extend the bags range. A leak proof bottle that you can fill with hot water will help too.

I haven't looked at the new treated down stuff. My old polarguard ones still work fine but I could be tempted to lighten the load on my back.

A gore-tex bivy sack to put your bag inside.

Sweating inside a too warm bag sucks, I'd rather sleep cool.

Also factor in things like food intake might be less in hard times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,670 Times in 9,720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwhitey View Post
This forum always cracks me up. Guy asks for something lightweight, cost isn't a factor, and he gets replies from guys using arguably heavy (2-3x a lightweight solution), and certainly bulky solutions.

Plenty of cottage companies out there are making solid down quilts and sleeping bags. I've used zpacks and enlightened equipment, both great and recommended but these days I'd probably go EE between the two.

My 20F down bag is a legit, warm and comfy 20F down bag when paired with the proper pad(s) underneath. I typically use an xtherm (never had an issue with leaks) for colder months, and carry a cut down ~ 200g zrest pad for general use (it's one of my few luxury weight items) and sleeping pad backup duties.

For reference my bag (kind of a bag/quilt hybrid) is 19oz, isn't the lightest available these days by any means and packs down fairly small. My bag has water resistant material, but new bags have that in addition to treated down. Really, anyone using down should also be using a waterproof stuff sack; I use a zpacks cuben stuff sack and it's been great.

https://enlightenedequipment.com
Great response, but in my opinion the OP does not yet have enough experience to know what he wants. I dont know what he wants either.

If its not too much trouble, would you take time to sketch our a list of cost/weight sleeping system options.
Please highlight the better manufacturers (like EE & WM) in each category.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,229 Times in 3,773 Posts

Some random observations about sleeping bags, weather, Murphy, and winter bivouac routine...

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...7&postcount=18

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...1&postcount=14

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...6&postcount=15

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...1&postcount=39

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...0&postcount=77

Some good reads re: sleeping bag fills, construction, and selection:

https://sectionhiker.com/fill-power-...on-goose-down/

https://www.gearx.com/blog/knowledge...-sleeping-bag/

Sleeping bags are one of those things where you generally get what you pay for. There's no free lunch... and the better bags (from quality manufacturers) cost more. The lightest/warmest quality winter sleeping bags start at around $500 and then move up to well over $1000 for the very best models.

Think of sleeping bags being offered in performance/pricing tiers:

Good: Firms like Coleman, Kelty, Slumberjack, etc. offer affordable basic models (mostly synthetic) for generally casual 3-season use. Their winter models tend to be too bulky/heavy for actual backpacking or ski touring. OK for car camping or base camp use.

Better: Firms like Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, Big Agnes, The North Face, REI, etc. straddle the scale with everything from economy backpacking models to pretty spendy winter expedition capable bags. Their premium bags are damn good. Their least expensive bags are merely adequate.

Best: Firms like Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering are the highest tier... with price tags & performance to match. Even their least expensive bags will make the average wallet cry.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,896 Times in 4,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
A gore-tex bivy sack to put your bag inside.

Sweating inside a too warm bag sucks, I'd rather sleep cool.
I usually sleep hot, so mummy bags are my least preferred despite being efficient. I much prefer quilts that allow me more air circulation. In colder weather, I like the concept of the Wiggy's FTRSS or the Army's MSS. Both are a little too bulky for me, but allow for a wider range of temperatures. I can replicate this with a down bag and some type of poncho liner or lighter weight quilt.

I love my Gore-Tex bivvy, but they suck in humid weather (even if cold). I can only use mine about 2-3 months out of the year. Cold and humid just generates way too much condensation.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 05:56 AM

suddenly thought of this. do i need a sleeping bag to keep warm if i sleep in a hammock?
Old 09-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyinpink View Post
suddenly thought of this. do i need a sleeping bag to keep warm if i sleep in a hammock?
Most hammock sleepers use quits and there are quite a few companies out there that make hammock specific quilts. You'll need insulation under you so either a sleeping pad or an under-quilt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evilwhitey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 02:56 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
I usually sleep hot, so mummy bags are my least preferred despite being efficient. I much prefer quilts that allow me more air circulation. In colder weather, I like the concept of the Wiggy's FTRSS or the Army's MSS. Both are a little too bulky for me, but allow for a wider range of temperatures. I can replicate this with a down bag and some type of poncho liner or lighter weight quilt.

I love my Gore-Tex bivvy, but they suck in humid weather (even if cold). I can only use mine about 2-3 months out of the year. Cold and humid just generates way too much condensation.

ROCK6
Who ever solves the "condensation" problem is going to be a rich person.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,896 Times in 4,198 Posts

Quote:
I've found that if temps get below freezing, my hammock sleeping system becomes more bulky and heavier than my ground sleeping system. In cold weather hammocking, you need both an under-quilt and top-quilt. I love hammocks and use them about 8-9 months out of the year, but for cold weather camping, I go to ground to save weight and bulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropshot View Post
Who ever solves the "condensation" problem is going to be a rich person.
What's the sweat-box sleeping system some cold weather, ultralight hikers use? They basically use that condensation, but it's a risky system. Much of the issue is simply physics, but I agree, whoever can develop a waterproof bag that doesn't summer in high humidity will be rich.

This is one reason why I always pair a rain tarp with my bivvy bag. There are times the temps just aren't that cold, but the rain and humidity would still soak me, so can use the fly to allow more air flow vice sleeping inside the bivvy.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 06:28 AM
Prepared

Western Mountaineering sleeping bags. They are expensive but you can count on their temperature rating.
The Following User Says Thank You to wiiawiwb For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:41 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,715 Times in 2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
What's the sweat-box sleeping system some cold weather, ultralight hikers use? They basically use that condensation, but it's a risky system. Much of the issue is simply physics, but I agree, whoever can develop a waterproof bag that doesn't summer in high humidity will be rich.

This is one reason why I always pair a rain tarp with my bivvy bag. There are times the temps just aren't that cold, but the rain and humidity would still soak me, so can use the fly to allow more air flow vice sleeping inside the bivvy.

ROCK6
Guess you're talking about vapor barriers? Basically get the temperature just right so you don't sweat, and keep everything inside by using a non breathing liner under your clothes or in your sleeping bag. They work, they're safe, but they aren't very comfortable, and only for really low temperatures or long trips.

The main thing is they keep your clothes and/or sleeping bag dry, so they keep performing well over time, where a sleeping bag will normally pick up quite some moisture and insulate less over time (noticeable after 4-5 days).
The Following User Says Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,715 Times in 2,594 Posts

Quote:
Quilts as mentioned before, are a common solution. You need something to insulate you from the top, and insulate below you, cause the chill (environmental and wind) from below will quickly sap as much heat as you'd lie on the ground. A sleeping bag which is compressed below you, doesn't insulate much though, which is why groundsleepers use mats, and hammocks either use a mat between them and the hammock, or an underquilt, hanging below their hammock.
The Following User Says Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 08:10 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,944 Times in 7,101 Posts

Thermal-Fleece-Head-Neck-Balaclava is in with all our winter weather sleeping bags.

Weighs about nothing, compacts very small & keeps ones head/ears/neck toasty warm.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:02 PM
In the woods

Awesome bag.

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/west...ing/bison-gws/
Old 11-01-2019, 11:28 AM

I got my son a Kelty Cosmic 20 for his scouting hikes. He has taken it on several below freezing adventures and seems happy. Light and packs small for about $100. (When it is really cold, he uses a liner with it and always a good sleeping pad.)

We haven't made the jump to quilts yet, but I hear that they are awesome if you are really trying to cut weight.