Scout rifles - worthwhile? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 08-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,745 Times in 712 Posts
Default Scout rifles - worthwhile?

Advertise Here

I've been reading about Jeff Coopers scout rifle concept for a while, and even went so far as to get myself a Ruger Gunsite Scout several years ago with the plans of turning it in to a scout rifle and that never happened.

Now my views have changed on the concept and I am thinking that a bolt action rifle, while not limited in caliber selection is limited in all of the other criteria Cooper laid out in this modern time period where Semi autos are capable of the same level of accuracy as a good quality bolt action rifle all in a lightweight, compact, easy to shoot package.

I'm not saying bolt action guns don't have their uses, but I'm not seeing anything that a good quality semi automatic rifle in .308 or another cartridge like .270 or .300 Win mag (yes they exist for just a little over $1,000) can do compared to a Scout rifle.

Any argument that a bolt action rifle looks "less scary" than a semi auto is pointless because guns like the Browning BAR (not the machine gun), Remington 740/7400 and FN FNAR, ect. exist.

So those who prefer the Scout rifle concept over a semi auto in the same cartridge, I'm interested in hearing some of the benefits you think they have to offer.

Here's some info on the scout rifle concept if you don't already know what it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_rifle
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 11:56 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,519 Times in 1,177 Posts

YES,YES and YES!!!!

One of the favorites I built was a 18"bbl bolt gun in .358Win with an EER scope.
It was a military Mauser action, longer than necessary, but you could still reload with stripper clips.

Once you get used to shooting the EER with both eyes open you will be amazed how fast you can get on target and how much more you can keep in sight as opposed to closing one eye to crawl a regular scope.

For moving target shooting they are AWESOME.
and you can still keep the legs of the round with a little practice.

ANOTHEr thing...

I set up my shorty M1A with a forward mount scope and used to shoot competition with it. So, the concept is not just for bolt gun.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,691 Times in 9,729 Posts

I very much Like the short, ballanced part of Coopers idea, but I'm less of a fan of the forward mount scope.
I wanted a semi auto in 308 win, so I bought an M1a Scout Squad, and removed the forward mount.

The trade off is weight. My scout squad weighs around 9 lbs w/o scope.
My compact 20" bolt action in 308 weighed 7.5 lbs with a 4x Leupold.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,711 Times in 5,673 Posts

The concept likely came about due to the enormous number of cheap surplus rifles out there from WWI and WWII. Cutting down the barrel on many abused milsurps made them more accurate, as well as, more handy. How many M38s and M44s were made just because the Russians were counterboring a roughed up crown too deep anyway?

Cutting down barrels, front mounted scopes, etc. are all easy conversions for milsurps already made with stripper clip guides and "hard to scope" receivers. You could make your own scout rifle for <$200 and likely have a tin or two of ammo with it. I'll occasionally run across a 20" bolt action milsurp either the Russians did or someone else did for around $200. Fun guns if you're a fan of flash and boom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 12:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,606 Times in 3,745 Posts

I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout and yes they are a phenomenal rifle. I removed the forward rail and replaced it with a full length rail which came with integral rear peep sight (XS sight systems). I can either forward mount a scope or mount it in the normal position. I do loose one concept of a scout rifle which is having the area above the receiver exposed, it is a small price to pay for a lot of rail.

The steel magazines are (or were) about 50 bucks a pop. The alternative is the polymer magazines at roughly half the price. Assuming you buy a Ruger Scout and want extra magazines for it.

Ruger did their homework and turned out an excellent scout rifle. If you just want a scout rifle there are many makes and models out there enough to fit any budget. I like MY Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle...YMMV
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 12:22 PM
Hail to the King, Baby

Thanked 3,355 Times in 921 Posts

While we are on the subject of Col. Cooper's rifle, and Hick DID bring it up, what about the " weight standard" ?

In The Art of The Rifle, Col. Cooper states that you should be able to hold your "piece" in an outstretched arm for sixty seconds with no strain. If you are unable to do that then your weapon is too heavy.

What do you guys think?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DisgruntledPatriot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,711 Times in 5,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledPatriot View Post
While we are on the subject of Col. Cooper's rifle, and Hick DID bring it up, what about the " weight standard" ?

In The Art of The Rifle, Col. Cooper states that you should be able to hold your "piece" in an outstretched arm for sixty seconds with no strain. If you are unable to do that then your weapon is too heavy.

What do you guys think?
I think a lot of people these days would have a hard time doing that with a handgun.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 01:02 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,745 Times in 712 Posts

I was thinking about getting myself a Browning BAR Stalker, which weighs under 7lbs unscoped but loaded and fills all the criteria of Coopers concept minus the bolt action platform and stripper clip use to mount a fixed (though not forward mounted) scope on it.

Alternatively, while limiting myself in cartridge capability, I also have a Norinco Hunter in 7.62x39 that I think would fill most of the criteria as well. Advantage is that I already have the Hunter, and just need to get an AK master mount, scope mount, and a scope. It's light and well balanced, and I can use anything from a 75rd drum to the 5rd Chinese and Romanian magazines I got. It's accurate, has a 19" barrel and has been reliable so far. Ammo is cheap and plentiful, plus the .308 bullets I have seem to work well with minimal accuracy/fps loss.

I do really like the fixed power scope concept, but I don't want to stick with a 4x prism scope/ACOG. I would prefer either a 6x or 8x, but not knowing much about scopes, what do you guys recommend in that magnification range?
Old 08-15-2019, 02:22 PM

I have a Ruger Frontier (older version of the Gunsite(which I don't care for)). If there is anything on our farm that is in need of quick dispatching, this is the gun I grab. There is no comparison to any of my guns that don't have an EER scope and the Frontier that does. Moving targets are way easier to acquire and reacquire for follow up shots when my 'human error' plays its part, and I miss!

On top of that, with its 16" barrel and light carry weight. It's the gun I will use for hunting as long as I don't have a potential of shooting over 200 yards.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.O...=7&o=5&pid=1.7
The Following User Says Thank You to animalspooker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 09:07 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,319 Times in 8,796 Posts

I think that I would rather go with a traditional bolt action rifle with a 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge for my round of choice. The key is the newer round, better performance from the new round, longer range from the new round and better accuracy from the round too. You can do everything that the scout rifle can do with a regular bolt action rifle. When Colonel Cooper thought up his scout rifle concept there was no 6.5 Creedmoor round. The 6.5C round, because of its long range reach, makes the scout rifle idea less desirable than it used to be.

The scout rifle concept does have its uses in hunting wild and fast game, like feral hogs. But for good precision shooting and general hunting, I'd want a regular style scoped, bolt action rifle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 02:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,905 Times in 6,957 Posts

I always wondered if a lever gun could make a decent scout rifle.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 02:41 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,133 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
I always wondered if a lever gun could make a decent scout rifle.

There are levergun scout builds.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 02:42 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
I think that I would rather go with a traditional bolt action rifle with a 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge for my round of choice. The key is the newer round, better performance from the new round, longer range from the new round and better accuracy from the round too. You can do everything that the scout rifle can do with a regular bolt action rifle. When Colonel Cooper thought up his scout rifle concept there was no 6.5 Creedmoor round. The 6.5C round, because of its long range reach, makes the scout rifle idea less desirable than it used to be.

The scout rifle concept does have its uses in hunting wild and fast game, like feral hogs. But for good precision shooting and general hunting, I'd want a regular style scoped, bolt action rifle.
I want a scout in 243. Probably a Steyr scour since they are awesome. But the ruger would be a close second
Old 08-16-2019, 03:12 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,348 Times in 4,315 Posts

He was on the right track but better ways to solve the problem have come alone as you mentioned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 03:40 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
He was on the right track but better ways to solve the problem have come alone as you mentioned.
I think for a mountain rifle or hunting rifle where stalking is a factor it makes sense.

But if I could have only one rifle it would be an ar15 or ar10 if I lived in bear/elk country.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 07:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,749 Times in 1,045 Posts

The "scout" concept is ok for old military rifles that make it difficult to mount a scope in a normal fashion.

Beyond that I see no real advantages at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,900 Times in 4,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5x55 Swiss View Post

So those who prefer the Scout rifle concept over a semi auto in the same cartridge, I'm interested in hearing some of the benefits you think they have to offer.
I simply don't see it as a "fighting rifle", although it could work in a limited capacity. I like them for what they are: a lightweight, reasonably accurate rifle that can accurately range out to 300-400 meters with a powerful enough caliber to take down larger game. It would a fine choice to scout longer distances where the threat was lower, and in a rural environment where ranges aren't 800+meter open areas. It definitely wouldn't be my first choice as a fighting rifle with a much higher threat environment; however, bolt guns have done pretty well in combat in the past if the shooter is capable and employs the appropriate tactics given the scout gun's limitations and capabilities.

While I do like the scout-style scopes for fast acquisition, their purpose (other than forward mounting for bolt action reloading ease), red-dots, and even some of the better low-power fixed optics have proven just as capable and often much lighter and less bulky.

I have a Leupold IER 1.5-4x on my Mossberg MVP and it's almost as fast as a red dot for ranges between 50-300 meters. The challenge is getting down to the 7.7 pounds with optics (especially for a semi-auto):

FAL with LED ACOG TA11: 11lbs 15oz
M1A Bush with Aimpoint COMP: 9lbs 14oz
POF with Leupold 1.25-4x Patrol: 9lbs 8oz
Ishapor Jungle .308 (Mojo Sights): 7lbs 15oz
Mossberg MVP Scout with 1.5-4x IER: 7lbs 14oz
Savage Scout with Burris 2.75x EER: 7lbs 14oz

ROCK6
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,884 Times in 2,166 Posts

I have a couple Savage 110 Scout rifles in .338 Federal
Uses AICS mags
Adjustable stock
Normally Savage stocks blow, not this one
Like it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 10:32 AM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,745 Times in 560 Posts

I like all the features of the Ruger Scout but for one....the magazine.....rather have internal five round....with stripper clips. As did Col Cooper...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rustednail For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 10:36 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

I was thinking the same thing... eventually, I went back to using a peep sight on my Gunsite Scout.