What do you recommend for a beginner's .22 or .32 revolver? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-22-2019, 04:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,564 Times in 730 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
If you have friends that shoot go out with them. If there is a indoor range close by odds are they have classes. I'm sure your local store can refer you to a class.

If you really want a .22, skip the revolver and get a Ruger or Browning semi-auto, stay clear of the Walther .22.

Neither the Ruger or Browning are really CCW pistols.

If you want a CCW then jump to a .38 revolver, 2in barrel. Normally I would say a .38/.357 with 4in barrel but your not really going to be able to hide one of those in a pocket either. A 2in .357 imo is really a waste, to much powder flash, you will cauterize the wound of your attacker.

If I was going to get a new shooter I would look at a Ruger LCP .380 semi-auto, not to snappy when fired.
Up close it will do the job just fine.
If not that then a 9mm like the S&W
M&P shield. It has enough size not to be to snappy when you pull the trigger and fit in your pants pocket.

There are a couple good small .22 semi-auto pistols but they are pricey.

I like revolvers but have never shot a .22 that I liked. If I had to get one I would look for a convertible cylinder
.22/.22mag. But that's just me.
Unless you have strong wrists, the Shield is a bit hard to rack. My wife can rack the M&P but not the Shield.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Idaho Survivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 07:21 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

The OP asked about revolvers mainly I think but you are correct about having to rack the slide on these small autos. I just bought a Taurus TCP used off GB and that little sucker can be hard to rack. And its not that its that hard to rack but more like its tough to get a grip on that skinny, slick slide. And then the recoil is surprising for such a small round. But its also a 10oz gun so some recoil is to be expected.

Like bilmac said a 38/357 is a good choice in a center fire gun. But its real hard to beat a 22 of some sort. No matter if its a revolver or an auto. All 22s are fun.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,017 Posts

A 22 lr is cheap to shoot, easy to hold and can be rather accurate. 22lr is very useful in a time of chaos. As for personal protection it is functional but less than ideal. As an old man I can state I like it almost as much a 357. I have more 22lr pistols than 357.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,491 Times in 3,315 Posts

.357 magnum with hot loads.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2019, 02:53 AM

If you’ve decided on a full size revolver, the most versatile is the classic 4” .38/.357. Tons of them out there both new and used, but if I were looking, I’d look just at S&W or Ruger. You won’t go wrong with one of those. I have preference for Ruger and have a 4” Match Champion w/ adjustable sights. I changed out the grip to a set of Ruger’s compact rubber grips and it’s trim and easy carrying as well as being comfortable to shoot. A lifetime gun that will serve you well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 07:48 AM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,082 Times in 1,688 Posts

Punchy

Just go to a range and rent a few different revolvers and semi auto pistols in 32/380/9mm/40cal/45acp/38spl and see what and how you handle the recoil of the round for the size of the pistol. Now find the largest caliber, in the pistol you feel the most confident with and accurately shoot with at 5/7/15/20 feet.

Buy that pistol and practice. They get a variety of holsters for what type of clothing you're going to be wearing for the climate you live in.

Now come to realization that you're going to need more than one pistol and wash rinse repeat the process.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,854 Times in 2,416 Posts

I would completely stay away from 32 for a first gun. The ammo for it in all its many configurations isnt very common and when found it is rather expensive.

A 22lr pistol or revolver is a great place to start for a beginner. If you want full size single action for target shooting then the Ruger Single Six or Ruger Bearcat, which is a little smaller, are great choices. I've also heard good things about the Ruger Wrangler and it is a lot less expensive. The wrangler will cost you around $200 whereas the other 2 are in the $500 range. The Heritage reolvers are ok also, They are generally less than $200 and they work just fine.

Now if you want something for concealed carry it is hard to beat the Ruger LCR. It isnt a target pistol but it is as small as I would go in a .22 revolver. Anything smaller like the NAA revolvers are just not easy to shoot. One could also conceal carry one of the smaller Ruger Bearcats but I wouldnt recommend a single action 22 for concealed carry.

Of course a good .22 Pistol like the Ruger SR22 or a Ruger MK4 shouldnt be overlooked either. However, if you are dead set on a revolver then I'd look at one of the many nice offerings from Ruger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
.357 magnum with hot loads.

Thats your suggestion for a beginners first gun???

The OP asked about a 22 or 32 revolver but we sure seem to be way off track from an answer.
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 01:29 PM

Are all the revolvers mentioned and suggested so far current production examples that can be bought brand new today in 2019? What about 'out of production' vintage examples too?
The Following User Says Thank You to Punchy71 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 01:40 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
Are all the revolvers mentioned and suggested so far current production examples that can be bought brand new today in 2019? What about 'out of production' vintage examples too?
I have only mentioned current production examples because locating out of production revolvers is iffy and so will be the quality.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:43 PM
Hiker

There is nothing wrong with buying used guns. I mostly buy used guns myself. I have bought several off Gunbroker and so far everyone I have bought has been better than expected. But if you hit the gunstores and pawnshops or better yet the gunshow take someone with you who knows what they are looking at when it comes to used guns. Heck even new guns need to be inspected. There are many threads about people buying new guns that have to go right back to the manufacturer because of QC issues.

Most of the guns mentioned have been made for many years and there are lots of used examples to be had. Don't let a little finish wear turn you off of an otherwise good gun. I bought a used Ruger single six with both cylinders and lots of finish wear for $215 + tax a couple of years ago and sold it to my bud. We were just shooting it at turtles last month and it shoots ever bit as good as my new single six.

And you don't have to have a double action 22 for plinking and target work. You will be shooting it single action most of the time anyway.

And don't forget your desire to own a 32 caliber gun. I have 7 of them myself. My two favorites are the two Ruger single six 32 mags with 5.5" barrels and adjustable sights. And yes I handload for them. I can load pop gun loads that feel like shooting a 22 to loads that fire and 85gr bullet over 1300fps and exceed standard 38 special loads energy wise. But 32s are a handloaders round for sure.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny View Post
If youve decided on a full size revolver, the most versatile is the classic 4 .38/.357. Tons of them out there both new and used, but if I were looking, Id look just at S&W or Ruger. You wont go wrong with one of those. I have preference for Ruger and have a 4 Match Champion w/ adjustable sights.
Are 4-inch barrel length's the most common size? ... or just considered to be the defacto "standard" size? ... for a .38/.357 double action revolver?
Old 09-01-2019, 04:51 PM

Are there .38 revolvers designed and made for just shooting standard, ordinary, regular .38 rounds ONLY and NOTHING else (So, this means absolutely NO .38+P and certainly NO .357 Magnum loads)? If so, can you give me an example of such a make and model?
Old 09-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,927 Times in 1,719 Posts

Quote:
Are there .38 revolvers designed and made for just shooting standard, ordinary, regular .38 rounds ONLY and NOTHING else (So, this means absolutely NO .38+P and certainly NO .357 Magnum loads)? If so, can you give me an example of such a make and model?
S&W Model 12 Airweight M&P is .38 Special revolver on the K-frame and is a lightweight aluminium alloy-frame version of the Model 10 M&P. It was made from 1953 to 1986 in both two-inch and four-inch barrel versions. It weighs 19 oz unloaded. While no longer in production, they were a popular off-duty and backup cop gun back in the day and you can find them used on GunBroker and other sites for around $400-500. Lately there have been former corrections department guns on the market which are holster worn, but tight and apparently shot very little. My 4-inch gun was a former private security firm gun with 1972 West German proofs which was also shot very little, but only holster worn.

A common ammo mod is to take a piece of pull-off .38 Special barrel, and make a die to cut off the round nose of standard velocity old style LRN service loads to make them flat-nosed. A 3/8" chucking reamer is run into the barrel to a depth of 1.2", then the chunk of barrel cut off to 1.40" overall and case-hardened file-hard. Nip the exposed nose off with side cutting pliers and true up with a sharp knife or file. Modified rounds will have a 1/4" flat on the nose and bullet weight is reduced from 158 to 148 grains. Velocity is 720 fps from a 2" barrel and 770 fps from a 4", straight-through 30 inches of penetration in water jugs with good crush and no flip. The flattened round nose gives you a more effective, speed-loader friendly reload after you have shot up the six full wadcutter, standard pressure factory loads carried in the cylinder.

Wadcutters are a good choice for carry in an airweight .38 Special: http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...8-special.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4Inch7yds.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	291228   Click image for larger version

Name:	BarrelRollmarkAirweight.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	291230   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix035015329.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	291232   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix171440725.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	291234   Click image for larger version

Name:	S&WMod12Airweight.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	291236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snub7ydsCutoffLRN.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	291238  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4-inchModel12at25yds.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	291240   Click image for larger version

Name:	German Proofs on S&WMod12.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	291242   Click image for larger version

Name:	German Proof on S&WMod12.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	291244   Click image for larger version

Name:	CrooksEyeView38LRNCutOffFN.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	291246   Click image for larger version

Name:	38Spl158LRNCutOffCompare.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	291248  
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 08:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,738 Posts

Quote:
Are 4-inch barrel length's the most common size? ... or just considered to be the defacto "standard" size? ... for a .38/.357 double action revolver?
4" was almost the standard everyday carry gun when LE used 6 shooters almost exclusively. That's what raw recruits trained with. I expect there was a reason for that.

I have 2 1/2, 3, 4, and 6" revolvers. For me as the barrels get longer, the guns are easier to shoot straight. I didn't mind carrying 4" guns when I was doing LE. I never carried a 6" while working, just hunting, but I couldn't see getting in and out of vehicles etc etc with a 6" gun on my hip.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 09:20 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,491 Times in 3,315 Posts

Quote:
If you plan on carrying, I'd go with a 2 inch = snubby.

Home protection etc, 4 or 6.

.38 is a fun round.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,939 Times in 19,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
If you plan on carrying, I'd go with a 2 inch = snubby.

Home protection etc, 4 or 6.

.38 is a fun round.

3" K frame.

even if it wasn't perfection of balance you get a full length ejector rod.

All N frames should be 5"
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,927 Times in 1,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
3" K frame.

even if it wasn't perfection of balance you get a full length ejector rod.

All N frames should be 5"
+1 on the full-length ejector rod.

But I don't object to a 4" barrel on an N-frame as I have several .38-44 Heavy Duty, .357 Highway Patrolman, and a 4" Model 29-2 in .44 Magnum and in the El Paso Saddlery C-Force IWB holster with steel reinforced opening to permit easy one-hand reholstering, I can carry any of that group concealed, and in winter when wearing a coat I do! Key is to get "full cut" trousers 2" larger in the waist band than you would wear as office casual.

I don't wear 5.11 trousers or anything which screams COP~! but like the Duluth Trading Middle Management Chinos and their firehose work pants.
Carhart also makes work trousers of proper cut for large handgun concealment.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:15 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Why would you want to limit yourself to such a thing?

The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 01:10 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,292 Times in 26,242 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

.22, based solely on cost to shoot. I would want a new shooter to be able to find and afford as much practice ammo as possible, to keep them shooting.