What do you recommend for a beginner's .22 or .32 revolver? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-13-2019, 01:20 PM

Default What do you recommend for a beginner's .22 or .32 revolver?

Advertise Here

Hi,
I'm new to handguns and have never owned one before. I'm currently thinking of getting either a concealed carry size .22 (probably a rimfire, although a centerfire isn't out of the question) revolver and/or a standard-regular sized .22 revolver, with an outside chance of getting a .32 revolver in the same size class's as the .22 (a .22 almost certainly though ). What do you recommend for a beginner to look at (makes, models and so forth) and safety features good for a beginner to have?
Also, should I just skip the .32 and go straight for the .22 since I'm a beginner and ought to learn how to shoot with it first?
By the way, how uncommon is it to find .32 revolver ammo these days and how expensive is it compared to .22 ammo? I haven't been in the loop of ammo shopping so I don't know. Just curious...

Thank you
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Target Shooter

River Wrangler. Cheap accurate good revolver for plinking. I keep one in my SxS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2019, 02:17 PM
Trapper

.38 hammerless for CWP or EDC if you want light recoil and better damage then a .22. .22s are great plinkers but should not be relied on for protection. .22 ammo are known for misfires and some firearms don't feed them or jam badly with them. Revolvers work around that but still. And with revolvers, a .38 would be my least likely choice but a decent carry. Remember you wouldn't be shooting the CCP non stop and most only do a bit of target practice with it so recoil will become something you can handle and learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 03:15 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,778 Times in 9,746 Posts

What do I recommend for a new handgun shooter?
A target grade 22 LR Auto pistol!
Either a full size Ruger or Browning, with target sights.
Both are great pistols so choose the one that fits your hand best.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 04:20 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,307 Times in 8,922 Posts

Are you planning to get more than one handgun? 32's are a waste of time IMHO.

Go shooting with a pistol person and try their stuff before you buy anything. I'd much rather have a used good quality pistol than a brand new POS.

22's are great to train with and can put small game in the pot when you can accurately hit the target. I would never carry anything less powerful than a 38 Special for use in self defense if I can help it.

Learn to reload your centerfire ammo. The Lyman 310 setup will do everything in a very small package. You could reload 38/357 for less than about $5/box of 50. I can still load my 44 Mag for a $1.50 a box of 50 - because I still have cheaper powder and primers than today prices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 04:23 PM

Ruger LCR... in .22 or .22 magnum. Great little revolver!!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wallimiyama For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,430 Times in 635 Posts

If you have friends that shoot go out with them. If there is a indoor range close by odds are they have classes. I'm sure your local store can refer you to a class.

If you really want a .22, skip the revolver and get a Ruger or Browning semi-auto, stay clear of the Walther .22.

Neither the Ruger or Browning are really CCW pistols.

If you want a CCW then jump to a .38 revolver, 2in barrel. Normally I would say a .38/.357 with 4in barrel but your not really going to be able to hide one of those in a pocket either. A 2in .357 imo is really a waste, to much powder flash, you will cauterize the wound of your attacker.

If I was going to get a new shooter I would look at a Ruger LCP .380 semi-auto, not to snappy when fired.
Up close it will do the job just fine.
If not that then a 9mm like the S&W
M&P shield. It has enough size not to be to snappy when you pull the trigger and fit in your pants pocket.

There are a couple good small .22 semi-auto pistols but they are pricey.

I like revolvers but have never shot a .22 that I liked. If I had to get one I would look for a convertible cylinder
.22/.22mag. But that's just me.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:40 PM

I like .32 revolvers. I have a couple, but mine are not CCW appropriate. I would suggest you buy one of the several good revolvers chambered in .327 Magnum. This is a newer, powerful cartridge that falls between the .38 special and .357 magnum in power. It's plenty for most social situations. You can buy .327 Fed revolvers in Ruger, Taurus, Charter new, and S&W used (NLA new). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.327_Federal_Magnum
The beauty of a revolver in .327 Federal is you can ALSO shoot any of the following cartridges:

.32 H&R Magnum
.32 S&W long
.32 ACP.

These are less powerful as you go down. .32ACP is the lightest load and also the least expensive. You can even get practice ammo with plastic bullets.

Beyond that I like .22 pistols. For CCW use I sometimes carry a revolver in .22 magnum. It is about 50% more powerful than .22 LR. It's at the bottom of the list for a defensive round. But since it is designed for a rifle, most .22mag cartridges will not burn all the powder in a short pistol barrel. While this reduces velocity, it makes for a LOT of flame and noise. Anyone on the receiving end will have no doubt he has been shot at, and will assume that artillery has been brought in .22 magnum is my minimum carry.

You might look for a pistol that comes with both .22LR and .22 Magnum cylinders. AFAIK those would all be single-action revolvers, but there may be a double-action snubby out there with interchangeable cylinders.

And BTW, my daily carry choice is the LCP .380 suggested above. I can't really recommend it as a first pistol though. It's pretty snappy. It's not uncommon for a new shooter to be surprised enough by the recoil (and the 2-finger grip) that he/she drops the pistol. But it's small enough to carry everywhere.

My wife shoots a .32 Beretta Tomcat semi-auto. It's a good choice IMO.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:55 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 8,066 Times in 2,598 Posts

Ruger SR-22. Great little gun for learning & fun to shoot. Comes with a couple different grips for different size hands too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 05:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,430 Times in 635 Posts

Yes all small pocket guns can be snappy, just hold tight and be ready.
This is one reason gun shops with indoor ranges/rentals can be real handy. There are also a couple organizations that loan practice guns in there firearm classes.
Don't worry much about the .380, it wont bite you but yes you will know when you pull the trigger.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,340 Times in 863 Posts

See if there is an hand gun instructor in your area. We had a friend whose wife had never fired a handgun, and was "afraid" of guns. We arranged for a class for myself, my wife (both of us shoot regularly) along with my friend and his wife. The teacher was an ex Navy Seal, who gave individual training in all manor of defense, as well as use of firearms. He had a selection of hand guns, in various calibers, I brought a selection as well for the range part of the day. This gal who had never shot started with a 22, and after an hour had moved up to a .38. P+ and was handling it well. The instructor made all of the difference. We both learned a few things also.

I would suggest a Ruger LCR in .38 P+ for a weapon to purchase. You need to train with the weapon you will use most often.

My wife and I normally ccw 9mm. But the bedside gun is the Ruger .38 P+.
The Following User Says Thank You to thataway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 PM
Prepared

Ruger LCRx .22, 3 inch barrel, 8 shot.

Has exposed hammer for careful shots, great double action for training, long enough barrel for new shooter, adjustable sights. At least two different grips, both good for most hands. Speed loaders available.

https://www.turners.com/ruger/ruger-...-barrel-478865

I've got two of the LCR .22s, one with each of the grips. Both are really good shooters. Brother-in-law has one with Crimson Trace laser, he really likes his. My .22s are plinkers and trainers for LCR .357s.

I do have an LCR in .22 magnum. Gonna trade it off. Only holds 6 rounds, I like the S&W 351 lots better, 7 round cylinder.
The Following User Says Thank You to fflincher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 10:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,701 Times in 2,021 Posts

As the members have said, stick with a 22 lr. As a rule 32 cal. pistols are not great quality unless you spend money on a 32 H&R mag or 327 or 32-20. Then your ammo cost is really high unless you reload. Then there is alway the "whats if good for" question. I reload 32-20 and thought of getting one to go with my 32-20 rifle which I really like. Since I have 357 pistol, I resolved that issue by picking up a Ruger 77/357 rifle. Now I have a rifle/pistol combination. A 22 lr can be very versatile. A 32 isn't
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 11:29 PM
Prepared

Let me say I'm a huge .32 fan,between .32ACP,,32 H&R,.327,32-20 I have well over a dozen,including .327,and 32-20 rifles,90% of my shooting is 32 cal,However I would recommend a full sized .22 for first handgun,revolver or Auto whichever is your preference,.32's are a lot more expensive .22 plinker shells can be bought for $3.00 box of 50,cheaper in bulk,.32 long will run around $16'00 for box of cheap plinkers on sale .32 ACP maybe $9.00 for box of 50,I've tried shooting .32 ACP in all my revolvers except 32-20 and none of them have any accuracy at all with .32 ACP
Old 08-14-2019, 10:33 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Get the .22 of your choice. Ammo is so abundant, it's crazy... plus it is just as deadly.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,103 Times in 7,002 Posts

I’m partial to my S&W Victory. Great sights, better trigger than my Ruger Mark IV, despite costing less than the Rugers. The Ruger SR22 is smaller, and has great reviews.

In a revolver, the Ruger LCR is the way to go, unless you want a single action, then the cheaper Heritage Rough Rider is nice, the Ruger Wrangler despite being almost 50% more money for about 30% more gun is also nice, or if you have the budget, the more upscale Rugers. Stay away from the cheaper Chiappa versions, they really are built cheaper.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:03 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 9,203 Times in 3,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcounty View Post
River Wrangler. Cheap accurate good revolver for plinking. I keep one in my SxS.

What the heck is a "River Wrangler"?

Al

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”- Benjamin Franklin

Always looking for Bayonets and Surplus gun parts. Come on, I know you guys have some stuff stashed
The Following User Says Thank You to Al Diehl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 02:53 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 8,066 Times in 2,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Diehl View Post

Al
That's what I was wondering. Maybe an all stainless version of the Ruger Wrangler? All the ones I've seen are cerakoted, so I would think a stainless one, while nice, would also jack up the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 03:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,996 Times in 19,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Diehl View Post

Al
" Ruger" filtered through autocorrect.

Do es it to me all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcounty View Post

Do you mean "Ruger Wrangler"?