Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Hunter

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 2,079 Times in 645 Posts
Default 1911 die hards...ever moving to hi cap pistols?

Advertise Here

Or sticking with the low cap 1911?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,671 Times in 5,850 Posts

Why not? I have a wide spectrum. Why limit myself. A trained shooter with a 1911 is going to be a lot more effective than the CoD watching jerkoff with the G19 and a 33-round magazine.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 09:35 PM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 5,106 Times in 1,850 Posts

Sadly, yes. Transitioned to a Glock a while back for ammo & magazine compatibility with others.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doh Myn For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 09:49 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,259 Times in 8,905 Posts

It's a personal choice. I have never owned a 9mm. The only one that ever interested me was the slotted and tangent Ingall's Hi-Power.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 09:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,340 Times in 5,953 Posts

Everyone is free to pick there own poison on this one, to each his own , all of them are fine pistols. I am a 1911 Marine. JMHO and S/FI!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 10:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,939 Times in 19,118 Posts

I was a 1911 die hard.

Even sat at Col Coopers feet (quite literally, he found out A Marine was sleeping in his car in order to afford to attend, insisted I stay in his guest bedroom and the Countess fed me. Class act.)

I picked up a Para Ordanance P14 limited for everyone who waved the capacity of their G19 at me!

But a "BUG shootoff" after a training class turned me to the dark side.
Not only did I get my ass kicked by G26's vs my J frame, but once I tried a 26 I kicked my own ass.

I carry glocks now.

There are plenty of high cap 1911's though.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 10:10 PM
Curmudgeon in training

My first service pistol was the M1911A1 in the Army and I often carried it as my first choice as a small town cop. Later the agencies got bigger and the weapons choice was limited to agency issue. I am much happier today with the modern double stacks in the house but still have a series 70 Colt 1911 for fun and games. Would be happy with it if it was issued but would choose a modern double stack given a choice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FotoTomas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 10:15 PM
Capitalism Is Boss

Thanked 1,109 Times in 361 Posts

Well here is a great video about the 45 acp vs 9mm just to light the fuse

The Following User Says Thank You to stinger5900 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 10:46 PM
Stolen Valor

I own several 1911's in multiple calibers, great firearms. Still use them regularly, but the Glock 21 SF get's the call if I need to strap on a Duty Belt. Half the allure of the 1911 is the .45ACP, so double stack 9MM misses twice. JMHO.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,233 Times in 3,774 Posts

It kinda depends...

On what handgun you've been most effectively trained to...

On what handgun you are measurably best with (presentation, accuracy, recoil management)...

On what handgun you are most comfortable with (a subjective but still real consideration)...

On what size of handgun you actually carry day to day. Not what you own. What you carry.

For all the internet banter about high magazine capacity advantages, I meet very few people who routinely CCW carry duty sized pistols with max capacity double stack magazines. Especially in hot weather. More often than not, folks I meet are carrying smaller versions (compact/sub compact) with much reduced mag capacity... or the very popular concealable baby single stacks... or even J-frame type revolvers.

So there's not a hell of a lot of difference in firepower when comparing say... a Shield or G43... to a larger 1911.

Nothing wrong with 1911s if you're competent & comfortable with the platform. I carried them across three tours in Iraq (admittedly with extended capacity single-stack magazines). This in lieu of higher capacity 9mm pistols also available. Why? Not really about the caliber. Just that I could shoot the damn thing better than anything else. I never worried about being under armed (I had an M4A1 as a primary anyway).

I still occasionally CCW a 1911.

Nothing else fits my hand more perfectly. I have invested a lot of years in practicing with and carrying the design. It's a comforting old friend... and I don't have to think about anything in order to hit with it.

Assuming a reliable pistol & shooter competence (factors that apply to any handgun choice), nobody has ever walked the earth with a loaded 1911 and been badly armed.

Then again, you ain't badly armed with a G19 (or G23) either...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 10:57 PM

The 1911 is a pretty awesome gun, but I’m not a gunsmith and can’t fix one myself should it go haywire. The Glock doesn’t need gun smiths, just competent parts changers. My Glocks will outlast me, and do so with a minimum of maintenance needed. I am just a average shooter and have found that I shoot the Glocks pretty much as well as the more refined guns in my safe. When the chips are down I choose Glock. In a capacity restriction situation I’d go to the new 43X or 48 before going to any other platform.
The Following User Says Thank You to manny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 11:08 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post

For all the internet banter about high magazine capacity advantages, I meet very few people who routinely CCW carry duty sized pistols with max capacity double stack magazines. Especially in hot weather. More often than not, folks I meet are carrying smaller versions (compact/sub compact) with much reduced mag capacity... or the very popular concealable baby single stacks... or even J-frame type revolvers.

So there's not a hell of a lot of difference in firepower when comparing say... a Shield or G43... to a larger 1911.

Not much useable difference between the G27 in my pocket with TRL-6 attached to the G23 with whatever model O light that's on my belt once I reload with one of the G22 mags in my back pocket.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:12 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,082 Times in 1,688 Posts

I'm not partial to a caliber. I'm partial to what I shoot accurately and what fits the clothes I'm wearing comfortably.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 11:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,671 Times in 5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
I'm not partial to a caliber. I'm partial to what I shoot accurately and what fits the clothes I'm wearing comfortably.
This. Exactly. And, in the current rotation, I am finding the S&W M&P 2.0 or the Glock 41 Gen 4 are very much to my liking.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 11:18 PM
I'm not a prepper

Thanked 2,953 Times in 832 Posts

I live in California. I'll stick with the 1911.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BFH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 11:25 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Not much useable difference between the G27 in my pocket with TRL-6 attached to the G23 with whatever model O light that's on my belt once I reload with one of the G22 mags in my back pocket.

Agreed.

However, I meet damn few people with two guns on their body. Like I said, most folks carry for comfort of wear (smaller, lower capacity guns) despite a lot of bold talk about the bigger guns they leave in the safe. Very few carry full-capacity mags as their reloads either.

When I'm carrying a full sized USP, CZ SP-01, or 1911 (with 8-10 round mags)... I can just about bet I'm one of the very few in the crowd with that size of gun on tap. Or a light. Or two lights. Or a GSW mini-trauma kit on my person.

Most people hate carrying larger guns for daily CCW. I've met folks who thought a G19 was enormous... and immediately jumped on the current crop of very popular single stack baby Glocks, SIGs, etc.

Today, little guns sell like hotcakes for the same reasons they always have. People are satisfied to be merely armed. With anything that shoots. Preferably small and lightweight. Block checked and not a lot of further thought given.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 11:31 PM
Survivor

What trama kit do you carry? All I have is gloves, CPR mask and a TQ.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:32 PM
Stolen Valor

Quote:
Today, little guns sell like hotcakes for the same reasons they always have. People are satisfied to be merely armed, whether they are arguably well armed or not.
I'll agree, but perhaps "Bond, James Bond" had a larger effect when the (Hollywood) BSS rearmed him with a Walther and took away His tiny Beretta.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:27 AM
Survivor

Quote:
What trama kit do you carry? All I have is gloves, CPR mask and a TQ.

I have a self-built pocket mini-IFAK for everyday carry. Fits into cargo pants/shorts thigh pockets, jacket pockets, pants/shorts front pockets, or onto belt if pants have no cargo pockets. Doesn't look like anything more innocuous than a PDA, diabetic kit, or smart phone pouch when worn on the belt line with casual clothing. But I tailored this pouch primarily for cargo pocket carry.

In zippered flat organizer pouch (marked with Velcro red cross patch):
1 x SWAT-T rubber "tourniquet" (really more for use as an expedient compression bandage or splint construction adjunct)
2 x Hyfin Vented Compact Chest Seals (twin seals; can cover two wounds or an entry/exit wound; smallest factory seals available)
1 x H&H Flat Compressed Compact-Gauze (non-hemostatic; for packing a junctional wound not situated for TK or direct pressure)
2 x H&H Mini-Compression Bandages (like baby 4" Israeli pressure dressings)
2 x 6-pack of Steri-Strip Skin Closures (12 total; 4" x 1/2"; for major lacerations)
1 x pair mini-trauma shears (to cut away clothing or seat belt)
1 x MiniMag Solitaire AAA LED light (Because... night time or power failure; small enough to hold/aim with teeth and still talk)
2 x pair Nitrile disposable gloves (one for me and one for a "Hey You!" drafted assistant)
4 x alcohol wipes (for cleaning minor wound edges in order to see the damage)
1 x Mini-Sharpie black marker pen

Loose in same pocket as mini-IFAK:
1 x SOFTT-W Gen 4 Tourniquet, flat-packed

In opposite side cargo pocket (or jacket pocket):
1 x Israeli T3 4" Pressure Dressing w/ integral gauze roll & tear away 2nd pressure pad.
This pressure dressing is multi-functional but compact. Expanding pad folds out for covering larger wound, or pad can be torn away for covering another wound location (or exit wound). Removable gauze roll already included for either direct pressure application or separate wound packing.

All these items were selected for compact size as well as function. The H&H dressings and Hyfin seals are the smallest on the market (in terms of packaged size). 7" x 5" Condor Pocket Pouch for carrier. After some careful trimming of airtight wrapper edges (to reduce packaged dimensions), the pouch holds all items except for the SOFTT-W & 4" Israeli Dressing.

In a pinch for enough pocket space, I just toss the T3 Israeli and the SOFTT-W into cargo pockets... and run with that. That's enough to do an entry/exit wound and stop the bleed from an extremity. After over a year of carry (in the original wrapper), the T3 dressing has sort of conformed/rolled into something smooth that slides right into a cargo pocket. Tough outer wrapper still not visibly compromised. Some air leaked out from the original vacuum seal. I don't really care. Sterility isn't a concern. Just stopping blood flow.

Sometimes I just leave off the little belt pouch and simply run with the T3 & SOFT-W in my pockets. Always at least those two items (and my EDC Fenix E12 light so that I can look at what I'm trying to patch in the dark).

It sounds like a lot of stuff, but it's a really compact & lightweight package. Just minimal stuff I can (hopefully) apply to myself. Or someone else. Just enough for one patient (maybe). No boo-boo items, burn dressings, airways, chest decompression stuff, OTC medicines, or anything else. Stuff I'll actually EDC carry vs. more comprehensive kit left in a vehicle or at home. Stuff I'm trained to use.

Perfect is the Enemy of Good Enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 12:45 AM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 25,416 Times in 6,507 Posts

Quote:
Agreed.

However, I meet damn few people with two guns on their body. Like I said, most folks carry for comfort of wear (smaller, lower capacity guns) despite a lot of bold talk about the bigger guns they leave in the safe. Very few carry full-capacity mags as their reloads either.

When I'm carrying a full sized USP, CZ SP-01, or 1911 (with 8-10 round mags)... I can just about bet I'm one of the very few in the crowd with that size of gun on tap. Or a light. Or two lights. Or a GSW mini-trauma kit on my person.

Most people hate carrying larger guns for daily CCW. I've met folks who thought a G19 was enormous... and immediately jumped on the current crop of very popular single stack baby Glocks, SIGs, etc.

Today, little guns sell like hotcakes for the same reasons they always have. People are satisfied to be merely armed. With anything that shoots. Preferably small and lightweight. Block checked and not a lot of further thought given.
I own two Para-Ordnance P-14s either customized or custom-built, and they're a joy to shoot - more accurate than I am, and the 15 rounds puts them right up there with most other high capacity handguns out there.

But they're all steel handguns with 16 rounds of .45 ACP - while it's plausible that one could CCW them, it's a lot of weight dragging down most people's belts. If I were going somewhere decked out in 782 deuce gear or other tactical rigs, they'd be appropriate. But wandering around town in jeans and T-shirts? They aren't the optimum tool for that environment.

I've also left the 1911 camp after many years. Currently the gun I CCW most frequently is the Sig P365 - 13 rounds of 9mm with tritium sights in a sleek little platform the size of a J-frame. It isn't really a pocket gun, but its light enough that I can also pocket carry two spare magazines and a Kahr P380 and still not feel as dragged down as when carrying a Para-Ordnance P-14.

I've learned to match the pistol to the environment. Some of these newer guns coming out have had a lot of thought put into their designs. They're pretty impressive.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post: