Grayman watches - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 08-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Mule

Default Grayman watches

Advertise Here

Was thinking the other day that my watch might be a giveaway as to my profession. I see a lot of videos of people discussing grayman concepts and then wearing a big ole g-shock to give themselves away. Mine's a square g-shock so maybe not as noticeable but I'm in a large city where people have somewhat abandoned watches in favor of smartwatches, checking the time on their cell phones, or fashion watches. I see a few g-shocks around but not so many.

It also doesn't help that where I live I'm one of the few pale faces and people may assume I'm LEO anyway.

What do you think? Would a square g-shock be as much of a giveaway? Or am I already screwed by my mix of ethnicity and location? Would it be hugely noticeable if I covered it up with a buff or something?
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 02:28 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearShark View Post
Was thinking the other day that my watch might be a giveaway as to my profession. I see a lot of videos of people discussing grayman concepts and then wearing a big ole g-shock to give themselves away. Mine's a square g-shock so maybe not as noticeable but I'm in a large city where people have somewhat abandoned watches in favor of smartwatches, checking the time on their cell phones, or fashion watches. I see a few g-shocks around but not so many.

It also doesn't help that where I live I'm one of the few pale faces and people may assume I'm LEO anyway.

What do you think? Would a square g-shock be as much of a giveaway? Or am I already screwed by my mix of ethnicity and location? Would it be hugely noticeable if I covered it up with a buff or something?
So what 'profession' is associated with G Shock watches?

I think 'bling' of any kind can be an attractive nuisance to the wrong element. As you say, you probably already shine like the proverbial 'diamond in a cat's ass' so other than not wanting to look affluent or just carrying visible 'goodies, I doubt a particular watch would be the trigger in targeting you. And unless you're working as an undercover agent, if people assess you as probably LEO, that's probably a deterrent.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:33 PM
Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targe View Post
So what 'profession' is associated with G Shock watches?
Current or former military, law enforcement, serious security. I don't really see many people who don't fit that bill wearing them.

Quote:
I think 'bling' of any kind can be an attractive nuisance to the wrong element. As you say, you probably already shine like the proverbial 'diamond in a cat's ass' so other than not wanting to look affluent or just carrying visible 'goodies, I doubt a particular watch would be the trigger in targeting you. And unless you're working as an undercover agent, if people assess you as probably LEO, that's probably a deterrent.
True. I just don't want to attract the attention of the law enforcement types either in a bug out scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 02:41 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,599 Posts

My wife always tells me to leave my watch at home when we go to buy something that requires haggling, like a car or appliance. Funny she never thinks to leave her diamond ear rings at home?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 02:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,193 Times in 3,815 Posts

I don’t think it much matters, lots of people wear g-shock watches, not just “operators”. Someone who knows who is on the lookout for someone who is trying to be low key will probably notice more about you than just your watch.

G-shock watches have actually been hot with fashionable urbanites, you might be mistaken for a rapper

http://www.gangstagroup.com/casio-g-shock/

Last edited by Revmgt; 08-05-2019 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Add link
The Following User Says Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,193 Times in 3,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
My wife always tells me to leave my watch at home when we go to buy something that requires haggling, like a car or appliance. Funny she never thinks to leave her diamond ear rings at home?

Might actually help the haggling.
If they think you donít have the money they think they have you over the barrel. If you go in there like youíre loaded donít say you canít spend that much, say youíre unwilling to pay that much, theyíll see dollar signs walking out the door if you donít close the deal.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Current or former military, law enforcement, serious security. I don't really see many people who don't fit that bill wearing them.
Well...there are a LOT of former military these days so it's not really a 'Selective Club'. Besides, how do you know every person you see wearing a G Shock is one of those categories: do you ask them?

I think given the popularity of 'looking like a pro' via wearing 'pro gear' by so many non-professionals, a G Shock watch is fairly innocuous. But if you think it shines too brightly, wear something duller.

Add to that, if bugging out, the smart bugger is probably wearing long sleeve shirts even in a sunny, warm clime.

Roll up your sleeves to get to work; roll down your sleeves to bug out. Covers the G Shock watch quite nicely.

🙂

Besides, if it's a bug out situation, most problems are going to arise from people wanting your other, more visible goodies: vehicle, boxes of food, jugs of water. If someone gets so close to see the brand of watch you're wearing, he's already targeted you
Old 08-05-2019, 02:55 PM
Mule

Quote:
Well...there are a LOT of former military these days so it's not really a 'Selective Club'. Besides, how do you know every person you see wearing a G Shock is one of those categories: do you ask them?
It's also the footwear, body language, etc. which give them away, which I suppose is more a point on other things I need to alter to blend in like movement patterns and body language.

And yeah...long sleeves are a must for me most of the year
The Following User Says Thank You to BearShark For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Hunter/Survivor

I don't think watches are a big give-away but 511 cargo pants or shirts, Logo wear and or tactical boots or even certain types of shoes and sunglasses are.... cooperating bad guys told me so. When I am in riskier countries, I like to wear a polo shirt with the logo of some south american soccer team with a soccer ball embroidered on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post

I agree. I have several vehicles from a 32 year old 'beater' Toyota with a spray can paint job to fairly new (I never buy new) nicer vehicles. I tailor my ride to the image I want to project depending on what I'm buying and from whom I'm buying.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,864 Times in 6,951 Posts

I think a G shock says ďNothing to steal here, Iím old fashioned and not keeping up with the times.Ē

But I wear one most of the time.

However...I have the slightly blingy metal band/case version, I have the larger rubbery dive model, and the smaller non-blingy aftermarket Velcro banded model that looks a lot like a $30 Timex or any other cheap plastic case sports watch.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman60 View Post
I don't think watches are a big give-away but 511 cargo pants or shirts, Logo wear and or tactical boots or even certain types of shoes and sunglasses are.... cooperating bad guys told me so. When I am in riskier countries, I like to wear a polo shirt with the logo of some south american soccer team with a soccer ball embroidered on it.
EXCELLENT!

On that subject, in all sincerity, always make sure whatever sports team logo you wear doesn't incite unwanted attention from opposing fans. We had a guy who wore a Manchester United windbreaker to a pub in Edinburgh once. Thought it would be a 'cute conversation starter'. He literally got beat down by two or three FEMALE Scottish soccer hooligans.

He claimed it was a 'mob' but nope...the security cam footage clearly showed it was only two women -albeit a very healthy pair of Scottish lasses- who took him down and then a third who joined in on the 'shoe-ing' and spitting on his face.

LOL
Old 08-05-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post

However...I have the slightly blingy metal band/case version, I have the larger rubbery dive model, and the smaller non-blingy aftermarket Velcro banded model that looks a lot like a $30 Timex or any other cheap plastic case sports watch.
Dude, I would TOTALLY be after that watch after the Zombie Apocalypse!

🙂
Old 08-05-2019, 03:49 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,648 Times in 1,015 Posts

Quote:
Dude, I would TOTALLY be after that watch after the Zombie Apocalypse!

🙂
Old TIMEX works for me. Scratched face and worn leather band.

This subject made me look though a drawer where I have several old watches. Most are TIMEX electric. When I looked through the drawer where I also keep other small things I found a watch I forgot about. It is an old TIMEX "water resistant" wind up in olive drab with a nylon band. I wound it up and it runs fine. It will work even in SHTF times.

I remember buying it now at a flea market for I think less than $5.00 without the band. I continued walking around the market and bought the nylon cloth band for ? $1.00.

Last edited by BASS; 08-10-2019 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: added olive drab wind up watch.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 03:55 PM
I love this forum

Quote:

Great topic...I vote for the square G. The most basic battery operated one, 5600? Virtually disposable. Going with the 6900 or another favored by LEO and military might be a give away.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:09 PM
ICBM Warrior

I vote for the Vostok line of watches. All mechanical!

I have the Vostok amphibian, water resistant as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077P...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-05-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_k View Post
I vote for the Vostok line of watches. All mechanical!

I have the Vostok amphibian, water resistant as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077P...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But won't wearing one of those tag you as an active or former Soviet Spetznaz, KGB, GRU operator -?

🙂
Old 08-05-2019, 04:17 PM
ICBM Warrior

Da komrade...Or you got it off a deceased one 😉
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff_k For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 04:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,157 Times in 1,660 Posts

Quote:

Black Gshock screams cop-military. I have a nice shiny titanium protrek. Tough as nails, looks good and it doesnt look "tactical".
Old 08-05-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_k View Post
Da komrade...Or you got it off a deceased one 😉
LOL Works for me!