Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-01-2019, 01:52 PM
Hunter

Default TPMS diagnostic tools?

Advertise Here

Out of our fleet of 3 vehicles, 1 is new enough to have the .gov mandated tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). I'm grateful the other 2 vehicles don't have it; worthless and needlessly complicated IMO!

I knew I had a bad sensor since the "TPMS" light is on, so I had the local tire shop replace the offending sensor when I had new tires mounted. The bad news is that this shop did not have a diagnostic/TPMS tool that was compatible with Honda; the shop owner said he used 2 different tools and neither worked.

It will cost me $120 + my time to go to a Honda dealership. I'm wondering if anyone here dabbles in car repair and has dealt with TPMS tools and can comment. I'm considering getting my own scantool as I prefer to solve problems myself but if a $600 Matco scanner did not work, I may be forced to go to the dealer.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 2,551 Times in 680 Posts

I'm not familiar with your model TPMS but you should be able to do a reset. Check around youtube to see if anyone has a reset trick for yours. The bad news is when they start going bad they are generally shot and need replacing. I personally just let the sensor go bad and don't worry about it. I'm always checking the tire pressure as I often have to air down and back up.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 04:07 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,087 Times in 20,546 Posts

I drove for 40 years without a TPMS sensor. I couldn't care less what that idiot light says.

Litttle piece of electrical tape over the light is one fix.

Or just drive your car. They recalibrate themselves sometimes after a few trips. What is the issue exactly?

Maybe reboot your electrical system? You will have to reset your radio though.

I think the wheel sensors need to have a new battery installed every 6 yrs or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 04:11 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I'm not familiar with your model TPMS but you should be able to do a reset. Check around youtube to see if anyone has a reset trick for yours. The bad news is when they start going bad they are generally shot and need replacing. I personally just let the sensor go bad and don't worry about it. I'm always checking the tire pressure as I often have to air down and back up.
I'm with you on not worrying about it, but we're considering selling the car within the next year so I wanted to get that light off the dash. I need to confirm, but I think the TPMS light in this car has a dedicated fuse, so I may be able to pull it, but not sure if anything else is affected.

Unfortunately, Honda made it really hard to reset the sensors/computer for their mid-2000s vehicles. Most vehicles have some sort of process where the owner can perform a reset without special tools, but this Honda requires some sort of scan/diagnostic tool to do it. Most of the guidance online is just take it to the dealer.

I searched Honda forums, blogs, articles, etc. and this is a noted, and frustrating reality. So that is why I'm here asking about these diagnostic/scan tools. Any vehicle we buy that is newer than 2007/2008 moving forward will have some level of TPMS, so it may make sense to have a tool to reset them. I just don't want to get one that may not be compatible.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to zuren For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 04:30 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,087 Times in 20,546 Posts

Year and model Honda?

I assume it is not this one, because it looks easy

Here is a $200 scan tool

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L8W2856...carguy_dp_vv_d
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 06:17 PM

My tire and brake shop owner told me the batteries in those TPMS things are good for 5 years. So when one goes out, the other three aren't far behind. He showed me one that I had replaced. The battery in it is the same as the battery that is in your watch. But, they are designed to where you cannot replace the battery without tearing the sensor apart to the point it's worthless.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:34 PM

If your local Walmart has a shop the should have the tool to reset your tpms I’ve done it lots of times for customers.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil74501 View Post
My tire and brake shop owner told me the batteries in those TPMS things are good for 5 years. So when one goes out, the other three aren't far behind. He showed me one that I had replaced. The battery in it is the same as the battery that is in your watch. But, they are designed to where you cannot replace the battery without tearing the sensor apart to the point it's worthless.
This forced obsolescence drives me nuts. It is the same thing that they are trying to do with cell phones. We had devices for fifty years that worked fine with replaceable batteries. But, why do that when we can force people to buy a whole new item?
Old 08-11-2019, 11:17 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,069 Times in 290 Posts

You need to relearn your cars receiver to the new TPMS sensors frequency code. This requires a special hand held TPMS reader. A normal scan tool doesn't have this function. The cheapest way to do this is to take it to a shop.

Chris
Old 08-12-2019, 12:02 AM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 17,168 Times in 5,286 Posts

I think newer Hondas use a different tpms system than simply the pressure monitoring sensors in the tires. I believe it is part of ABS and monitors wheel speed to detect variations between the tires.

And yeah, freaking ridiculous.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:54 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Discount Tire and a couple of the others will scan your car for free. Just stop by to have the air pressure checked (another free service) and have them scan at the same time.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,141 Times in 662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
I think newer Hondas use a different tpms system than simply the pressure monitoring sensors in the tires. I believe it is part of ABS and monitors wheel speed to detect variations between the tires.

And yeah, freaking ridiculous.
Pretty skeptical of that, belted radials donít change the diameter very much- wonder how you would discern a worn tire from a 4 psi drop? Anyway, I think it was an idea that failed - AFAIK, it hasnít been used on vehicles in the last decade.

Iím sure itís of some benefit in detecting a flat tire, and itís just software, so it didnít cost much to implement.
The Following User Says Thank You to country_boy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 12:08 AM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 17,168 Times in 5,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_boy View Post
Pretty skeptical of that, belted radials don’t change the diameter very much- wonder how you would discern a worn tire from a 4 psi drop? Anyway, I think it was an idea that failed - AFAIK, it hasn’t been used on vehicles in the last decade.

I’m sure it’s of some benefit in detecting a flat tire, and it’s just software, so it didn’t cost much to implement.
Lots of new cars use it. Search: “Indirect TPMS”

https://youtu.be/V6DQf8oKyiM
Old 08-14-2019, 12:15 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,069 Times in 290 Posts

Just ran into the same problem as the OP yesterday. It's on a Chrysler Crossfire. Needed a new TPMS sensor, which we replaced. But our brand new TPMS reader wouldn't talk to the cars receiver. Customer has to take it to a dealer. Sometimes I wonder about the sanity of auto engineers. Seems they overcomplicate everything just for the sake of overcomplicating. Especially the Germans.

Chris
Old 08-14-2019, 02:53 PM
Deplorable Freedom Zealot

Thanked 7,913 Times in 1,726 Posts

Our '07 Tahoe TPMS has been a royal pain in the ass.

Light comes on to tell me tire pressure is low, and check to find tire is not low.

Never has really worked right, and costs $190 to replace a sensor.

Seems they are easily damaged.

Traction control sensor also has been a pain.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:57 PM
styer sniper

Was it a pre loaded sensor or a blank? Do you know what brand they put in it?. Lots of them are u niversally compatable and will preload if you do the relearn process on your vehicle. Your owners manual will tell you how to put it in learn mode then normally its lf rf rr lr going around and inc or dec pressure until it honks the horn. I hate the preloaded ones like people get from walmart. Theyre cheap for a reason.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:18 PM
Hiker

Cars in general are overly complicated. Chrysler TIPM is another example. no fuse box, just replace this. Ohh, and any features need relearned at a chrysler shop... and by the way, they don't exist anymore. I told the wife my next car is an old simple car without the computer crap.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:59 PM

My experience is with the Toyota TPMS, which requires the Toyota software to talk to the vehicle computer (via a USB-OBDII link) and tell it what to do. It can also read the actual tire pressure The USB-OBDII dongle is under $20 and you might find a bootleg copy of the software on Ebay. The combined cost should be somewhat less than the $120 for getting one tire's monitor reset.

You can also easily add additional remotes to the vehicle's remote lock/unlock system. My truck and my wife's SUV now respond to the remote for my truck. Beats carrying two remotes and the one that's hanging in the house is now a spare (Two is one and one is none).
Old 10-10-2019, 12:13 AM

Hit up a couple shops in the area. Ask nicely. Tell them you replaced your sensor and want to know if they can do a relearn for it. If I it was a slow day or You were extra nice, I'd just pull do it and not charge you. If you show up with pizza or a 12 pack of cokes afterwards would be awesome. It takes like 2 min to reprogram sensors with the right ****.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,488 Times in 2,786 Posts

Does your car run with the sensor light on. Of course, ignore it like others have said. Just another thing car makers put in cars to cause you to spend money.