Survival kit in an organizer - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 08-15-2019, 09:26 AM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post
I highly recommend a Luminaid Packlight Hero 2 in 1 usb solar rechargeable lantern.... wish they would get a shorter name but.... itís small, light, portable, solar rechargeable, puts out a good amount of light, has multiple light levels, has a strobe light feature for rescue, can be used to recharge other items via usb, waterproof and compacts down to be easy to carry.

https://luminaid.com/products/packli...ercharger-ecom

Iíve used their products for several years (the above is their newest version) and never had any issues with them. I put them in every pack now. Gave my granddaughter the multi-color light one for Christmas

I also think you should put a useless 9kg weight in your pack. Itís pretty annoying but after a day or two of hauling that useless weight around in the desert your spirits will be lifted when your pack gets so much lighter because you threw the damn thing out....

Pics are of an older one I have in the backpack sitting next to me. This one doesnít recharge other items like the newer model
I just looked into this product and really liked what I saw. I just ordered one so I can test it out. Thanks for the recommendation !
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to brianf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 04:23 PM

Thank you so much for this idea. I was looking for a discrete way to take stuff along in a day trip and this is perfect.

Also thanks for making me laugh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flofli For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 04:18 PM
Excelsior

Great post. You've given me some good ideas!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radclyffe For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 07:30 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,178 Times in 2,400 Posts

Pretty good setup, only flaw (JMO) is I'd swap the crank light for a regular headlamp w/AAA batteries. I have never found a crank light worth a damn! Always having to crank the dang thing, doesn't last long, poor lumen output, and breaks easily.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 09:08 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 2,186 Times in 909 Posts

Muzzies burn if you let them dry enough
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 02:45 AM
Trapper

Thanked 2,196 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flofli View Post
Thank you so much for this idea. I was looking for a discrete way to take stuff along in a day trip and this is perfect.

Also thanks for making me laugh
You are very very welcome! Hope you have yourself an organizer of your own soon.

They are SO fun to make!
The Following User Says Thank You to BadExample For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 08:48 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,550 Times in 20,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadExample View Post
You are very very welcome! Hope you have yourself an organizer of your own soon.

They are SO fun to make!
Us US Americans need a more macho name for it than an organizer kit.

"Tactical Ninja compass holder, with bone crusher knife and inferno fire kit" might be a better sell.

(With optional "Death from Above" ranger cup, and of course, Camo Maps for the Iraq and South Africa, such as, for our children).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 03:07 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post

Us US Americans need a more macho name for it than an organizer kit.

"Tactical Ninja compass holder, with bone crusher knife and inferno fire kit" might be a better sell.

(With optional "Death from Above" ranger cup, and of course, Camo Maps for the Iraq and South Africa, such as, for our children).

Miss Teen USA South Carolina 2007 with Subtitles - YouTube
Freedom pouch
Tactical pocket
Operative storage
SERE bank
ZombiEDC

What do you say?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadExample For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadExample View Post
Freedom pouch
Tactical pocket
Operative storage
SERE bank
ZombiEDC

What do you say?
I don't know.. It needs to scream death and testosterone.

Rhino Pouch
Warthog Locksack
Satan's Ditch Pouch
shark skin ranger bag
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 11:14 AM

BE? What is this rope you speak of???
The Following User Says Thank You to animalspooker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalspooker View Post
Probably bankline AKA tarred Marline
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 11:30 AM

Like trotline? Tarred, braided trotline?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to animalspooker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 02:23 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,768 Times in 952 Posts

I carry a Camelbak Mutt I believe it's called. Pretty much like their MULE pack. Found my pack in a "free" pile at a yardsale.

I wrapped the carry handle with a few feet of paracord. Have the 100oz bladder inside, aling with another smaller bladder that os flat until you fill it, then you'll have enough to give your 4 legged companion a drink when he needs one.

I sewed 2 knife pouches on the part that touches my back and in one I put a Leatherman Mut. Those bad boys are issued to a lot of military folks these days.. The Mut rides high on the back of the pack, the other knive is a Cold Steel double edged maybe 3" plus a 3" handle that rides about waist high for quick use.

I've got a metal tin inside I wrapped with about 40' of paracord that used to be given out to mountain climbers in the Pacific North Wet. It's got a few goodies in there that are pretty much duplicated in other areas of my pack.

I've got a GPS in the pack for hiking trails. 2 or 3 small first aid kits. Needle for sewing heavy materials with some cord you'd use for fixing tarps. Also have a regular sewing needle and a couple of small dental floss containers that I use as thread.

I've got a pen flare launcher with about 6 or 7 flares. Also carry a pill bottle full of .22 ammo for use but, if I told you how I use them, well, it ain't legal but, all it takes it a bolt with threads and drilling it out to fit the .22 rounds.

Picked up a Craftsman gizmo that has a radio, flashlight, solar and crank charger so you can charge usb's etc..

Carry a small Write in the Rain Notebook and a black sharpie for leaving notes..

2 pairs of socks cause wet feet really suck.. Fingerless gloves..

It rides behind the seat in my truck and if it all goes to heck and my trouble won't go no more, I've got a folding Dahan bicycle in my canopy if I really need to get out of the area. Otherwise, I'd find a secluded place to park because my truck is pretty much a redneck camper. Has 2 beds with storage underneat, porta potty, 12v/110v cooler, got some of those sun blockers you put in your car window that I've modified to snap in place over my windows back there.. Canopy is steel, not fiberglass. Always thinking of ways to make it better.

I've got a battery isolator and I plan to hook that up and use it for charging my marine battery to power the back of the truck.

Need to make me a fold up trailer I can pull behind that little bicycle.. I've got a kiddie trailer but, need to put some hinges in it to make it collapse.

Fun times..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 01:55 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalspooker View Post
Ok so like I don't know if there are branches of Decathlon in the US, but if there are then in their climbing section they have some high quality ropes of different widths.

I very much like their ropes of thinner widths, they are strong and comfortable to use and are rather cheap.

So that's what I use.

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadExample For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 11:07 PM

personally I have had bad experiences with the restaurant hand wipes; they are often dried out when I open them. I think your alcohol pads can do double duty there.

You mention a can opener and a spork but I didnt see a mention of cans or food or cans of food. Can you toss those and use your knife for can opening and eating.

two is one and one is none. I'd suggest another bic or better yet an alternate way to start a fire.

I would beef up the first aid kit a bit; small bottle of saline to clean out wounds and to flush foreign matter from eyes, a few of those 2-pill packs of meds; aspirin, an nsaid, pepto/imodium, and maybe something for congestion and allergies. maybe an ace bandage in case you turn an ankle or something...

a compass would allow a better chance of self-rescue. a GPS even better. the Inreach device works basically everywhere and has 2 way communication capability or a PLB - while lacking the 2-way comms will almost certainly launch a full scale rescue effort....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hamiamham For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 01:34 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham View Post
personally I have had bad experiences with the restaurant hand wipes; they are often dried out when I open them. I think your alcohol pads can do double duty there.
My experiences with the restaurant hand wipes have been quite positive to be honest. I take them with me whenever I go outdoors (and I go alot) and never had any problems.

And even if there were problems - I'm sure I'll find an alternative to how to wash my hands, like you said, there are always the alcohol swipes.

Quote:
You mention a can opener and a spork but I didnt see a mention of cans or food or cans of food. Can you toss those and use your knife for can opening and eating.
I don't think that food cans are an equivalent exchange, space and weight wise, with a can opener and a spork. I do take food with me when I go to the outdoors, but that food changes every time (for obvious reasons), and what I keep in the organizer is just the tools to eat it.

Quote:
two is one and one is none. I'd suggest another bic or better yet an alternate way to start a fire.
I completely agree with you there, and there's a firesteel & striker in addition to the BIC lighter.

Quote:
I would beef up the first aid kit a bit; small bottle of saline to clean out wounds and to flush foreign matter from eyes, a few of those 2-pill packs of meds; aspirin, an nsaid, pepto/imodium, and maybe something for congestion and allergies. maybe an ace bandage in case you turn an ankle or something...

There is a certain limitation of space in such kits, so I had to make do with just the basics. Maybe it's just my brauvado or whatever but I didn't throw in no meds in the kit. Now that you had me thinking about it I probably should, and I will. Good suggestion my dear sir, a good suggestion.

I don't have alergies (yay!) and I guess I'll be using either the Israeli bandage (our countries pride and joy) or an improvised sling with sticks and duct tape if I'll turn an ankle.

Quote:
a compass would allow a better chance of self-rescue. a GPS even better. the Inreach device works basically everywhere and has 2 way communication capability or a PLB - while lacking the 2-way comms will almost certainly launch a full scale rescue effort....
I do have a compass in the kit (a good one, not those small button things... I hate those small button things!), together with a notebook and a writing instrument. I don't have neither the space nor the money for a proper GPS device but I'm confident enough in my skills with a map and a compass that I can hike in peace.

That is... when I... you know, don't forget them at home!

Anyhow thanks for the suggestions, I will make some adjustments
Old 09-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Hunter

you have less than an hour to decide either to stay or get out of dodge once the warning bells go up..

the more you have the more likely you are to get stabbed for what you have on you

everything everyone has said has good merit in stocking it, however how far do you think you can obtain with the BoB or GHB or whatever designation you want to call the thing on your back or what you ferry on some cart system ..

If you are n the obese category of human space you will be not be walking a mile under load my guess no..

as you are so physically unfit you would likely kill yourself before long..

and you have about less than 60 minutes to be outside the city limits of where you live and/or work once the warning bells start up and panic ensues and looting starts to happen.. this is in the first 12 hours
Old 09-07-2019, 05:52 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineshooter View Post
you have less than an hour to decide either to stay or get out of dodge once the warning bells go up..

the more you have the more likely you are to get stabbed for what you have on you

everything everyone has said has good merit in stocking it, however how far do you think you can obtain with the BoB or GHB or whatever designation you want to call the thing on your back or what you ferry on some cart system ..

If you are n the obese category of human space you will be not be walking a mile under load my guess no..

as you are so physically unfit you would likely kill yourself before long..

and you have about less than 60 minutes to be outside the city limits of where you live and/or work once the warning bells start up and panic ensues and looting starts to happen.. this is in the first 12 hours

Are you calling me fat? Oo
Old 09-08-2019, 08:33 AM
Hunter

Can't say that I am Bad Example however if you fit the build being morbid obese, I know for the fact you aren't moving diddly squat being north of 300lbs with north of 100 lbs worth of supplies on walk out..

putting this to a time scale 3 hours driving distance how far do you think you are going to get with a minimum scale of 200 mile radius..

I doubt you can reach a 200-300 mile limit within 72 hours heavily laden on either a push bike or walking to that same destination..

I come of the experience of being obese myself and when I look at the like NWA Prepper (youtube fame) a 40-50+ year old obese person isn't going to be physically fit and just general fitness is going to be that poor walking with no load is going to be a chore..

He says sound advice however looking at his physical fitness he is a liability just leaving his home let alone trying to help other people in the community where he lives..

This just 1 example of what not to do in a situation where you are an obese person, because you are likely going to take 5-10 years to get your weight down to a safe level without doing yourself an injury where you can exercise freely..

The last few episode of NWA Prepper I watched i basically told hm a change of diet and walking in a neck deep pool was the only option starting 3 hours a day at 3 times a week , then working up to 7 days a week..

With the excess load he has in his own body weight I told him pounding the pavement will likely cause himself severe injury at some point because the fact is he can't support his own body weight and looking at how out of breath he was he shouldn't be rucking with anything on nor should he pounding the pavement causing joint issues..
Old 09-08-2019, 10:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,872 Times in 4,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineshooter View Post
putting this to a time scale 3 hours driving distance how far do you think you are going to get with a minimum scale of 200 mile radius..

With the excess load he has in his own body weight I told him pounding the pavement will likely cause himself severe injury at some point because the fact is he can't support his own body weight and looking at how out of breath he was he shouldn't be rucking with anything on nor should he pounding the pavement causing joint issues..
200 miles is a significant distance on foot, unsupported other than what's on your back. I just did a 106 miles (Appalachian Trail) in seven day and a wake up. I had about a day and a half worth of food left, but I know that if my destination isn't inside 150 miles, I won't be making it on foot. The more out of shape you are, the shorter the distance and the slower you'll be moving...and the more calories you'll be using. Ironically, on day six, I was able to pound out about 22 miles. Of course, my pack was a little lighter from food consumption, and because of that, that's not a pace you can sustain without significant caloric intake. That's me, in my physical condition at almost 50 years old. My son (ROTC Cadet that does a few ruck runs every week) could easily do 20 miles a day with a 50+pound pack...no way I could keep up or maintain that. Know your limitations and capabilities before you're forced to find out...

While we talk body-weight, the addition of pack weight only exacerbates the potential for a mechanical injury and I would say it's exponentially even more probable based on your phsyical conditioning. Even in pretty good shape, I limit myself to about an average of 10 miles on the trail for the first few days of every trip. It just takes your body several days to adapt and if you push it, it will result in injury and likely cease any foot movement for a few days as you attempt to recover (eating into you food and supplies).

I don't plan to bug out on foot, but I do use distance backpacking as a gauge for the radial distance I could "bug home" if prepared. That radius is about 150 miles maximum and it relies on finding plenty of water sources to keep weight under 40 pounds, which is about the maximum weight I shoot for (including food, fuel, and a couple liters of water that needs constant refilling).

The cheapest aspect of your preparations is your phsyical conditioning, cutting bad habits, and improving your diet. Physical fitness just requires an investment in time, as little as 30 minutes a day, along with the discipline to maintain a routine. If you have any inclination or thoughts of bugging out, bugging home, bugging to anywhere on foot with a pack, you are planning for failure if you're not working on your physical conditioning right now.

You really need to actually get out and hike/backpacking with a pack to find your limitations and improve your conditioning. Carrying a pack (especially on a trail or even off trail) can't be replicated in a gym or aerobic machine; they will help, but the muscles used, weight to joints, continual repetition is something that will take a few days for your body to adapt to while actually doing it. Being over weight will be hard, but if you're healthy and don't push your limitations (and you plan that way), it's doable. If you're obese, unhealthy, and prone to injury, just let me know your route so I'll have a nice cache available along the trail or road Believe me, I see dozens of over-weight, unconditioned backpackers bail after a single day...over estimating their abilities and underestimating the rigors of carrying a pack in hot/humid conditions and a tougher trail than shown in photographs. Mental fortitude is important, but it simply won't overcome your phsyical liabilities under adverse conditions.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post: