Survival kit in an organizer - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 07-31-2019, 05:09 AM
Trapper

Thanked 2,197 Times in 659 Posts
Default Survival kit in an organizer

Advertise Here

Hi everyone -

Sooooo... this one time, at band camp... no, sorry, in the Israeli desert, me and my wife decided to go out on a simple day hike. You know, a couple of hours in the sands, maybe two or three minutes of making out (depending on my performance and just how sweaty I am) and then we were going to head home and rest for the rest of the day like the lazy bums that we are.

I thought to myself - hey, it's a well known trail, I don't need much. So I just took a rudimentary map, some food and water in a bag and just the stuff I had on my keychain which included my EDC items like a small knife, a super tiny flashlight, lighter and a bit of paracord.

Well ladies and gentlemen, we got lost worse than that dude to whom it took 40 years to reach Israel from Egypt. (Lol, noob)

Long story short, at some point I was already planning to start a fire in the desert (camel poop... so flammable... SO FLAMMABLE!!!!) and build a shelter out of stones and stuff. In the end we did manage to reach civilization and hitch a ride without being kidnapped, but I was quite upset with myself. Why?

Because:
A) I managed to get lost (some bloody survival instructor I am...)
B) I did not have the proper gear with me for when I got lost and had to rely on tiny pieces of equipment I happened to have on me.

Let me tell you, there was ZERO making out that day!

Ever since, I told myself that I will always (ALWAYS!!!!) have a survival kit with me, especially since I go out into the Israeli wilds quite alot and that's just a smart thing to have.

Now the problem was ofcourse managing the utility of said kit versus the comfort of carrying it. I mean, sure, I could just swing a bugout bag with me everywhere I go, but I bet people would look at me funny.

So after thinking about it for a while, crying in the bathroom about my inability to decide and being laughed at by both my friends AND my cats (I have 2 by the way... cats that is... not friends. I don't have that many friends) - I have decided that an organizer would fit me just right. I was going to try and shove as much gear as I can into an organizer, throw that bad boy in my backpack and take comfort in the thought that I now have the means to survive the zombie apocalypse, while everybody else would perish and be eaten. Oh yeah!

The problem with organizers? You really need to know to manage your equipment to make it right. You need to know what you need, what you don't, and make do with compact size gear. You also need to have confidence in the gear you put there and know how to use it but... that you should have with any gear you go out with so, we'll skip that part.

Is my setup perfect? No. Not by a long shot. I'm still considering how to improve it, what to replace, what to add or remove... BUT at this point I'm pretty happy with it. I've tested it out on two and three days trips and while I know this is a work in progress I feel secure enough with it as it is that I reccomend it to pretty much anyone I know in the field.

Here's what I'm using so far:

* Maxpedition Fatty (The one organizer to rule all others)

* Cold Steel Finn Wolf (it's a folding knife with a triad lock and a scandi grind... to put it in perspective, it's as if a supermodel would be single AND have low standarts in men).

* Opinel folding saw - I usually hate on Opinel stuff but this one is actually quite good, AND it fits inside the organizer.

* Thin rope (not paracord). Nothing much to say about it, I don't need 200 kg weight tested rope, I don't plan on hanging a hippo off of it. This cortage is strong enough for all of my uses, and because it's thinner than paracord I can have more length of it there. I think I have like 17 meters of it there...

* Fatwood block - the best tinder in the world in my honest opinion, and Israel is FULL of it!

* BIC lighter.

* Firesteel and striker.

* Fallkniven knife sharpenner - it costs like 12 bucks and is just SOOOO good.

* Compass

* Notepad, weatherproof

* A red sharpie to write stuff with. The great thing with it that you can write with it even on your skin if you run out of paper.

* A folding spork for just in case

* A dynamo powered flashlight, because batteries are the enemy!

* An Israeli military bandaged, cause if it's good enough for our boys in green it's good enough for me.

* A karabiner, because there is no easier way to connect two loops together and I am a lazy lazy person.

* A bandana - for... stuff.

* Water purification pills, because diahrrea is as fun as watching batman vs superman, extended edition.

* Bandaids

* Alcohol pads

* Moleskin for blisters

* Tin foil - for all that cooking out in the wild when you don't have a mess kit

* Sewing kit - because an exposed crotch may feel breathy and fun, right up until a scorpion climbs up that rip.

* Duct tape - because if you can't fix it with duct tape, you're fixing it wrong.

* Reusable zip ties - because a constrictor knot would work just as well but as I've said, I am a lazy bastard.

* A small military can opener, for those wild pickle cans you sometimes encounter out in the wilderness.

* Fishing sticklights (tiny) - mainly for campsite marking or dirty magazine reading. The green light can also create some romantic atmosphere if you're surviving with your significant other or... you know... a hot stripper you just happened to save during the end of the world.

* An emergency blanket - look, all funnies aside, always carry one. Hypothermia will kill you faster than your wife after she finds out you think that her younger sister is prettier than her. Don't lie to me... ofcourse you think that! Man... I'm so lucky that my wife is an only child...

* A large garbage bag - because I couldn't fit a poncho in there but I sure as hell can fit inside and cut out an opening for my face to stick out of.

* A small tin box to hold all the little stuff on the list - organizes the organizer (the irony...) AND gives me the ability to make charcloth if I need to. Also makes me look cool to my students when I tell them about charcloth.

* A small birthday candle - for that extra long flame we all love to set fire with so much.

* A fresnel lense - good for map reading, fire starting, splinter removal and extra fun with dirty magazines. Do not leave home without one!

* A condom - my main water carrying container in this kit for when the feces hit the ventilation unit. Can also be useful to reduce the number of children you need to take care for during the end of the world.

* A whistle - because crying and begging to be saved takes a lot of energy but blowing a whistle is easy, fun and annoying. That's a triple win right there ladies and gentlemen.

* And last but not least are some hand whipes I "borrowed" from some restaurants I ate at.

The entire kit weighs exactly 1 kg.

So as I've said - this kit is a work in progress but so far I'm quite happy with it.

What do you think? Do you have one? What's in yours?

And if you think I should add\remove something from the list, feel free to tell me.

Thanks, and hopes this helps someone

EDITS:

- Since writing this post I have now added a 4 way water key, for those elusive water valves one sometimes finds in the great outdoor. That will allow me some more water gathering abilities, especially in urban areas. In other news, my maxpedition is now about to explode from over-stuffing. Yay!
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 08:10 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,308 Times in 8,791 Posts

I love your sense of humor.

I didn't see any blocks of compressed fuel for heating up food or starting a fire when things are really wet. I saw the fatwood block. Does that take the place of compressed fuel tablets?
The Following User Says Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 08:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,462 Times in 3,874 Posts

How about a lightweight pot with a lid? Good for cooking, boiling water, hauling water, etc.

Toss in a fixed blade knife - Mora or for style points - Glock Knife.

Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline make great fire starters and are super lightweight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 08:49 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
I love your sense of humor.

I didn't see any blocks of compressed fuel for heating up food or starting a fire when things are really wet. I saw the fatwood block. Does that take the place of compressed fuel tablets?
Thank you kindly, I do try

About the fatwood - yes, that does take the place of any other tinder sources in my kit.

I have actually went out and tested my firestarting with fatwood in Israeli rain storms (the few that we have... ) and the results were very positive, so I'm pretty confident that I'll manage with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadExample For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 09:06 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
How about a lightweight pot with a lid? Good for cooking, boiling water, hauling water, etc.
I'm sorry if I misunderstand you, are you suggesting to add a lightweight pot to the kit, or to use it instead of the organizer?

If it's the former than I don't really see how will it work with my kit, since the it is pretty much packed to the brim and I do try to keep it as a single kit. I just want to grab it, throw it in my pack and be content that I have whatever is there that I need. I don't want to like pack this and that and something else because I just know that I'll forget something.

If it's the latter (to use the pot as the container, much like the esee survival kit) - I have actually thought of that, BUT - there is ZERO organization in those kits and to get to any piece of the kit you need to rampage through the entire container, get what you need, and then try to put everything back together. I've tried those types of kits and found them to be a bit difficult for me - I end up losing gear out in the field and cursing myself whenever I try to pack all the stuff back into it.

Not much fun.

Now, I know that I've spoke about the single kit and whatever, but I do keep a metal Klean Kanteen (800 ml, single wall) in my EDC backpack, filled with water ofcourse, so I do know that before having to use the condom and the water purification pills - I do have other options.

Quote:
Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline make great fire starters and are super lightweight.
About the cotton balls soaked in vaseline - yes, I know, I've used them quite alot, but at this point in my outdoors career I much prefer fatwood. It's much more versatile in my opinion, and it doesn't leave my hands all slippery and icky. Also it smells like pure joy and when I'm down or upset out in the field I just take a few whiffs and I am good... to... go! (We're still talking about fatwood here... not... other stuff!)

Quote:
Toss in a fixed blade knife - Mora or for style points - Glock Knife.
About the fixed blade - again, the kit is packed to the brim, I just don't see a way to add a fixed blade to it other than to attach it on the outside of the kit, and I would rather prefer to avoid it.

Thank you very much for your suggetions, and feel free to add more!
Old 07-31-2019, 09:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,462 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadExample View Post
I'm sorry if I misunderstand you, are you suggesting to add a lightweight pot to the kit, or to use it instead of the organizer?

If it's the former than I don't really see how will it work with my kit, since the it is pretty much packed to the brim and I do try to keep it as a single kit. I just want to grab it, throw it in my pack and be content that I have whatever is there that I need. I don't want to like pack this and that and something else because I just know that I'll forget something.

If it's the latter (to use the pot as the container, much like the esee survival kit) - I have actually thought of that, BUT - there is ZERO organization in those kits and to get to any piece of the kit you need to rampage through the entire container, get what you need, and then try to put everything back together. I've tried those types of kits and found them to be a bit difficult for me - I end up losing gear out in the field and cursing myself whenever I try to pack all the stuff back into it.

Not much fun.

Now, I know that I've spoke about the single kit and whatever, but I do keep a metal Klean Kanteen (800 ml, single wall) in my EDC backpack, filled with water ofcourse, so I do know that before having to use the condom and the water purification pills - I do have other options.

About the cotton balls soaked in vaseline - yes, I know, I've used them quite alot, but at this point in my outdoors career I much prefer fatwood. It's much more versatile in my opinion, and it doesn't leave my hands all slippery and icky. Also it smells like pure joy and when I'm down or upset out in the field I just take a few whiffs and I am good... to... go! (We're still talking about fatwood here... not... other stuff!)

About the fixed blade - again, the kit is packed to the brim, I just don't see a way to add a fixed blade to it other than to attach it on the outside of the kit, and I would rather prefer to avoid it.

Thank you very much for your suggetions, and feel free to add more!
Clip the pot and knife to the outside of your organizer.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:16 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Clip the pot and knife to the outside of your organizer.
You know what, I'll test it out - will tell you if it worked out for me.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:17 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,661 Times in 9,719 Posts

I lived and worked in the mojave desert for 30 yrs. Yes, you can get turned around and spun, and that can lead to bad results.

I started out carrying a 2 qt military canteen, then later a 2 L Camelback hydration pack.
After several yrs I stated stuffing commonly needed items in side the hydration pack.
Ultimately, I replaced my old Camelback with a slightly larger hydration pack,
Big enough to carry a military poncho, LED flashlight, first aid kit, bic lighter, toilet paper, and a Leatherman Wave.

My hydration pack has turned into my most effective preparation. I carry it evereywhere and use many of the items.

2 L Hydration Bag (12 lbs)
Nylon Poncho, LED Flashlight, Kit Gun, Pocket Radio, Snack Food, Filter Straw, Fishing Gear, Belt Knife, Head Net, Deet, Compass, Leatherman, Micro Light, Toilet Paper, Mirror, Sizzors, Clippers, Lighter, FAK, Cash, Spare Keys.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 09:31 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadExample View Post
I have decided that an organizer would fit me just right. I was going to try and shove as much gear as I can into an organizer, throw that bad boy in my backpack and take comfort in the thought that I now have the means to survive the zombie apocalypse, while everybody else would perish and be eaten.
What kind of an organizer are you using? I'm just trying to understand what this looks like. I am more interested in an image rather than a name brand.
The Following User Says Thank You to prairiegirl1925 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 12:17 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,426 Times in 631 Posts

I prefer para cord. You can gut it or not but it gives you more options than your thin cord, even more with your carabiner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 12:42 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,939 Times in 7,100 Posts

Its almost surprising how small you can put together mini survival kits, with a little thought & planning.

Fire starter tinder

Old 08-01-2019, 01:29 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiegirl1925 View Post
What kind of an organizer are you using? I'm just trying to understand what this looks like. I am more interested in an image rather than a name brand.
Hi mate, I'm using the "maxpedition fatty" organizer.

It's like... uhm... small and square and green oh my. Yep. That.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadExample For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 02:26 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,615 Times in 20,417 Posts

For ultimate rescue:

Android s9.
Waterproof. GPS Maps will keep you oriented, even out of range of cell coverage if you download the region map. Has light of course and survvival files. And its a phone.

Battery charger with light for s9 (leave the jumper cables home)
https://www.amazon.com/TACKLIFE-T8-C...s%2C187&sr=8-7

LIghter, small first aid kit, water bottle, bug spray, Hat, sunglasses, hiking stick
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 10:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,894 Times in 4,197 Posts

I won’t judge you on getting lost. I’ve been turned around a few times or veered off course in dense jungles and nighttime in desert environments; it’s easy to do if you can’t associate by terrain which is why a compass and map (or GPS) are so important. I consider myself well above average at land navigation, but there are times I’m off if I don’t verify with a map, compass, or GPS.

I’ve built and tested several Pocket Survival Kits, and I still keep a few in day hike bags, but don’t carry them on my person. They just end up being too bulky. Having done a ton of distant backpacking, I don’t like much in my pockets.

My basic EDC includes a Bic lighter, knife, multitool, LED flashlight, CCW, often a smaller fixed blade, and a flat roll of duct tape. Adding my Kit Bag, and/or day-hiking bag, even a smaller shoulder bag or fanny pack will complement most if not all my essentials.

What I do use when I know I’m heading outdoors is a Hill People Gear Kit Bag. It also serves as my outdoors CCW platform with some additional essentials that are always close at hand. I also have a pre-packed day-hiking pack (Osprey 30 liter Manta), which has all the essentials and carries well for day hikes.

The other planning factor is clothing. I always have layers addressed, rain jacket, hat, gloves, etc. A small day pack helps to store those layers when not worn.

Outside of being abducted by aliens and dropped off in the middle of a National Forest completely naked, I will always have enough kit for an unplanned/extended day-hike. Water and shelter are always a challenge for smaller kits. I always keep bottles of water in bags and vehicles, but I do like the idea of having a single-wall metal water container (canteen, bottle, etc.) to transport, collect, and purify water. There are plenty of very compact tarps for day packs, but your clothing should be your first line of shelter. Shelter improvisation is an important skill if it’s necessary to shade against a brutal sun, protect against heat-sucking wind, shed falling precipitation, or insulate in abnormal temperature drops. Most environments you can improvise a shelter from man-made materials or natural materials with a knife, multitool and/or small saw.

Fire is often addressed, but I'll reinforce bunkerbuster's addition of pre-packed tinder. Outside of a road flare, you only need to practice trying to make a fire in 40 degree temps after simulating a fall in a body of water to understand that an ignition source is not going to be enough or will take too long to get a fire going (environment dependent of course). You will quickly lose your fine motor skills and if the terrain is wet, the reality of fire making in adverse conditions becomes all to apparent. Having waterproofed tinder is as important as the ignition system (I always keep a Bic in my pocket and a Firesteel with my knife). I keep tinder in a water tight pill fob that serves as the handle to my Firesteel (JB welded). I also keep extra waxed tinder in my chest mounted HPG Kit Bag. Fire is easy to make under normal conditions, but when you really need it, it likely won't be ideal conditions...

Situation assessment, risk assessment, problem solving, and smart decision making will often negate the need for a “survival kit”; however, those essential items guarantee you’ve made prudent plans before venturing too far. I honestly keep such a kit to assist others or make myself comfortable if a mechanical injury keeps me from hiking out or self-rescue and awaiting assistance…most studies show rescues can take up to 72-hours, so I just like to hedge my bets for a worse-case scenario. Besides, the kit and skill to use it just adds enough mental comfort so I can enjoy a lengthy day-hike or even stretch into a weekend adventure.

ROCK6
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 01:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,426 Times in 631 Posts

Where did the wrapped Red tinder come from?
Old 08-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,894 Times in 4,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
Where did the wrapped Red tinder come from?
@bunkerbuster makes his own He'll be along to detail it...

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 07:37 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,917 Times in 1,716 Posts

There is/was? also a military-issue red tinder product that used to be packed in the Vietnam-era SV2 survival vest, don't know if there still is or if there is an NSN for it. Maybe somebody currently serving can chime in.

I carry the petroleum jelly infused cotton balls, Esbit fuel tabs and a wheel sparker from CountyComm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 08:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,425 Times in 1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
There is/was? also a military-issue red tinder product that used to be packed in the Vietnam-era SV2 survival vest, don't know if there still is or if there is an NSN for it. Maybe somebody currently serving can chime in.

I carry the petroleum jelly infused cotton balls, Esbit fuel tabs and a wheel sparker from CountyComm.
I once had a fire steel kit that I bought in the late 70's that came with a packet of red tinder stuff that seems similar to what you are talking about. It was a very red fibrous powdery looking stuff.
I never had occasion to use it. However, a few years ago my stepsons came across it while digging through my stuff. They stole it and lit it on the front porch. Judging from the scar it burned into the wood the stuff apparently burned pretty well. They are lucky I didn't end them that day!

I think that one of bunkerbuster many flammable projects is made of paraffin wax and pine pitch soaked into cotton cosmetic pads. I'm dying to duplicate his process but have been unable to find any clumps of pitch when I've looked. I already have a bazillion ways to light a fire so don't really need them. But it looks like a cool and effective project. Bunkerbuster is the Shiz when it comes to pyrotechnics...and most everything else, too!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 11:52 AM
"Do No Harm" Do Know Harm

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiegirl1925 View Post
Prairie Girl. Here is an example photo of a Maxpedition Fatty. It shows some items so you can have a reference for scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDC Max 5.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	290482  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tac Medic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 12:24 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 32,895 Times in 12,395 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

I highly recommend a Luminaid Packlight Hero 2 in 1 usb solar rechargeable lantern.... wish they would get a shorter name but.... itís small, light, portable, solar rechargeable, puts out a good amount of light, has multiple light levels, has a strobe light feature for rescue, can be used to recharge other items via usb, waterproof and compacts down to be easy to carry.

https://luminaid.com/products/packli...ercharger-ecom

Iíve used their products for several years (the above is their newest version) and never had any issues with them. I put them in every pack now. Gave my granddaughter the multi-color light one for Christmas

I also think you should put a useless 9kg weight in your pack. Itís pretty annoying but after a day or two of hauling that useless weight around in the desert your spirits will be lifted when your pack gets so much lighter because you threw the damn thing out....

Pics are of an older one I have in the backpack sitting next to me. This one doesnít recharge other items like the newer model
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D9EC3313-9C3F-4586-8218-876FC73A5C21.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	290484   Click image for larger version

Name:	36A6E899-9149-4FB0-9580-A1F91D67AF74.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	290486   Click image for larger version

Name:	2C51A914-D36A-450A-8A26-BD3B8AF64053.jpg
Views:	29