Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-24-2019, 11:39 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts
Default How Difficult is it to Find Food in the Forest?

Advertise Here

Here is a great video to watch. It shows what the average person would do when it came to random foraging. This is why I am not worried so much about the masses that vacate the city. IMO, they will stay put until food/water runs out. Then, they may venture outside the city. But by that time, they will be starving and more willing to do what this guy did... randomly forage for food they think is safe. My best guesstimate is that 75% of the people fleeing the city, will die before they reach me.

Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2019, 12:53 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,246 Times in 13,066 Posts

My guess is you underestimate how many people who live in the city were raised in the country LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 01:50 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,981 Times in 2,672 Posts

Denpends entirely on where your forest is. What grows in the woods of Missouri does not grow in the woods of Colorado.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019, 02:54 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
My guess is you underestimate how many people who live in the city were raised in the country LOL

Nah... that's the 25%. You actually think it's more than that? I thought I was being generous considering most of these blithering idiots can barely survive their own kitchen.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:14 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,246 Times in 13,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Nah... that's the 25%. You actually think it's more than that? I thought I was being generous considering most of these blithering idiots can barely survive their own kitchen.
You gotta get out of the bubble more. It's currently trendy among hipsters to go urban foraging and they consider insects a delicacy. Lots of apps to teach the newbs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 03:31 PM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,278 Times in 4,089 Posts

75% die before they reach you. Ok, that still leaves possibly tens of millions of people roaming the countryside looking for food. Many will band together forming armed groups with members that have had military training.

You really wanna go up against maybe several dozen trained men with plenty of guns and a high motivation to eat?

Unless you are extremely remote, nowhere is going to be safe once the hoards start roaming.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jash For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 05:04 PM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 8,091 Times in 1,792 Posts

Odds of living as a hunter/gatherer are very slim. One can stave off starvation, but not live long term. Primitive H/Gs were born into it and born into a community that lived it for generations with established routines. Communities with division of labor where people were specialized in their tasks and expertise. They also had bodies that were evolved and conditioned for it. Winter foraging is meager at latitudes with legit winter. You have to squirrel away during the warm season for that. Even if you have abundant wildlife (or long pig) that's not enough. Eventually meat alone will kill you from intestinal blockage or scurvy. Without vitamin C the onset of scurvy happens in about 4 weeks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 05:10 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,462 Times in 3,300 Posts

Depends on what you call food.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2019, 05:19 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,266 Times in 504 Posts

From experience it takes years of study. I have reached a point to where I can survive if needed totally on the wealth of the wild, but with this caveat, only in the southeastern states.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to workquik For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 06:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,716 Times in 1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash View Post
75% die before they reach you. Ok, that still leaves possibly tens of millions of people roaming the countryside looking for food. Many will band together forming armed groups with members that have had military training.

You really wanna go up against maybe several dozen trained men with plenty of guns and a high motivation to eat?

Unless you are extremely remote, nowhere is going to be safe once the hoards start roaming.
That's the normal PAW fantasy scenario.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:57 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,431 Times in 1,158 Posts

AS WITH anything having to do with bush survival or just getting along...
It all depends on the skill set you are bringing to the forest.

I know what is edible in the northern arboreal forests
but
admittedly some of it tastes so bad you would rather starve than try to choke it down.

But, earthworms are huge on protein source and fairly easy to find in most places.
Cattails are great and can be eaten raw (the stem not the fluffy thing at the top. But save the tops because they make good fire starter.

It all depends on your skill and how big your gun is as to what you can score.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 08:34 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,974 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Here is a great video to watch. It shows what the average person would do when it came to random foraging. This is why I am not worried so much about the masses that vacate the city. IMO, they will stay put until food/water runs out. Then, they may venture outside the city. But by that time, they will be starving and more willing to do what this guy did... randomly forage for food they think is safe. My best guesstimate is that 75% of the people fleeing the city, will die before they reach me.
You are partly right - yes in normal times, in most places foraging is not viable for most people. In a very severe crisis with millions of starving people around, foraging won't work for anyone anywhere (too much competition).

Your assumption that ineffectiveness of foraging means people won't make it to you is probably wrong. For 99% of preppers/survivalists, there is a big city closer than one tank of gas. Those people (who we agree can't live off foraging) will instead kill and steal. When they get really hungry and the people they kill don't have any more food to steal, they will eat the bodies.

The people who step over that line will be able to get to anywhere they need to. They will have plenty of human meat to sustain them in their travels. The more remote you are, the more hardcore the ones that make it to you will be - and make it to you, they will.

Quote:

Agreed.

People who choose to prepare for the most serious types of crises need to plan and resource for that eventuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
That's the normal PAW fantasy scenario.
Around these boards there are actually more people who fantasize about spending days (in a PAW) peacefully tending their garden, chickens and goats while a few hundred million people passively starve to death outside their boundary fence.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 12:30 AM
-

Thanked 1,333 Times in 680 Posts

Some will be like zombies on tv shows, ragtag and disorganized, with no direction or political control. While that may happen in some places, history has sometimes shown that when disaster, strife, war, and hunger comes to largely populated centers, after some time of chaos and disorder, groups emerge, armed and brought together under warlords or sometimes an entire apparatus. And then cities ultimately end up dictating to the country side, not the other way around.

As one fairly recent example (just 100 yrs ago), when the chaos broke out after the Russian Civil War, life in the cities was hard, but the brutality and marauding spilled out into the countryside in numbers that are still hard to imagine. And this was in a place that had much wider expanses than anywhere else.

Also when you look at many African countries, much of the unbridled violence scourges the countryside (e.g., N i g e r i a with Boko Haram) or Rwanda/Uganda, where terror of the country side was carried out and it appeared as if it was done tactically to somehow control the urban population that way. Most clusters of urban population won't even try foraging for fungi. It will be a fight for power and consolidation, albeit after a time of uncertainty and some fairly significant life loss.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:03 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,716 Times in 1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post

Around these boards there are actually more people who fantasize about spending days (in a PAW) peacefully tending their garden, chickens and goats while a few hundred million people passively starve to death outside their boundary fence.
I mostly see the ones who talk about guns and defenses and "roaming hordes".
The ones you mentioned are doing a great job of staying invisible.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,826 Times in 6,940 Posts

Quote:
75% die before they reach you. Ok, that still leaves possibly tens of millions of people roaming the countryside looking for food.
Many will band together forming armed groups with members that have had military training.

I LLOOOOOVVVE how everyone goes straight to this idea, and then within a few posts it’s 100’s of millions...

FYI...if 10 million is 25%, then you had 40 million to start with. So you are in the NY-DC area, SoCal, or maybe Florida during spring break.

There aren’t more than 1 million people within 5 hours of freeway travel of me.

And any of them that band together to assault my area are going to be disappointed with how hard it is to get here, and how hostile and organized the nice country bumpkins can become in defense of their homes.

As to the OP...the forest here isn’t the forest there. You are absolutely going to starve here if you don’t have food available. Even the Indians went elsewhere to get food.

And a point about the good old days. The hunter/gatherers of old were not only bred and trained for life...they also eliminated competition ruthlessly, they were nomadic, and disease and famine and high mortality rates kept their numbers low enough to make it viable. There is absolutely no way any group in the lower 48 is going to make it work for long without bumping into competition, and while individuals could possibly make it, it’s still going to be a daily fight just to avoid being noticed.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:52 AM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,974 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
There arenít more than 1 million people within 5 hours of freeway travel of me.
Really?

5 hours @75mph = 375miles
Area of a circle with radius of 375 miles = 441,786 square miles

Lowest population density state (other than Alaska) is Wyoming with six people per square mile.

That would be about 2.65 million people in a 5 hour radius (on average in Wyoming).

I don't know where you live but it sounds like you are underestimating how many people are within five hours drive of you or perhaps six hours drive away there is a big city.

Either way, the pickings in the sparsely populated states will be also thin of the ground - so any starvation event will just drive the people who are there to travel more widely to find what food there is.

It is a bad idea to be dismissive about what threat other people would pose if they were starving. Sure, make your own decision about whether you want to prepare for those very severe crises - but don't imagine that (should one occur) starving people will not be a very big threat/challenge.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 03:47 AM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 15,270 Times in 3,754 Posts

"Around these boards there are actually more people who fantasize about spending days (in a PAW) peacefully tending their garden, chickens and goats while a few hundred million people passively starve to death outside their boundary fence."

Fair enough , there are some whom do live that existance right now even . But your comment is a good one to help keep us from getting too complacent .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 03:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,699 Times in 792 Posts

There's a reason that most human settlements sprang up around bodies of water. If necessary I'll forage in the forest, mainly setting up snares, but that's only until I establish myself at one of the five locations close to fertile water I've already tried out. Last trip, in two days I saw a flock of turkeys, six hogs and had to dodge two deer as I was driving out with a cooler full of cleaned bass and crappie. Also saw a flock of ducks cruising the bank, river otters, a creek full of crayfish, and a few feral dogs and cats.
Before I sacked out, set up a remote camera and got some good pics of a tasty possum and some plump wood rats that I lured in by throwing some peanuts on the ground.
I watched the hogs root on a flat section of the bank, and when they were through it looked like someone had run a garden tiller.
Thank the merciful Lord that so many people in the US are too fat to fish and hunt.
The Following User Says Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 06:00 AM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote:

Yeah I am not worrying about the paper pusher kid who during his short careers profiled himself out .

It's all good but no most wont wind food. Nor survive the heat or cold
Old 07-25-2019, 06:27 AM

It all depends on knowledge. If a person is not prepared then there is little chance, but if a person is able to survive, then he does not care where he will be outside the city