I've often wondered what everyone's hoard is. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 07-12-2019, 12:19 AM

Default I've often wondered what everyone's hoard is.

Advertise Here

So it's all bad out and your low on pew pew ammo. Anyone care to guess most common out there to hope to find? I'm sure .22 comes up but who really wants that. I always thought folks with odd stuff would be at a disadvantage being short on useful loads. Anyone actually threw 50 plus pounds into your backpack from walmart? It's not easy after awhile.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019, 01:28 AM
Target Shooter

I would think is this order the most common

22lr--12ga--38/357--probably followed by 45 or 9mm
Old 07-12-2019, 01:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,872 Times in 19,094 Posts

There is a firearms section to discuss this in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,166 Times in 1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmech View Post
I would think is this order the most common

22lr--12ga--38/357--probably followed by 45 or 9mm
Oh, I think that in 2019, it's going to be .22LR followed by 9mm and .223/5.56 by quite a bit over anything else. If nothing else, larger physical size - and thus less storage capacity - would probably limit the amount of 12ga that most people have stored compared to other calibers. I don't have them in front of me, but going off memory, a retail package of five 12ga shells is roughly the same size as a 20rd box of .223 or a 25rd box of premium defensive 9mm JHP; use your imagination for moving up to 10- and 25-round 12ga boxes. People who are storing ammo long-term, whether for range use or competition or some future SHTF event, can very well be dealing in sufficient quantity that available space is a concern. That's especially true in the preparedness world, where ammo is far from the only thing being stored in bulk.

Friends of mine who shoot 12ga for sporting clays tell me that they go through 50 shells for a round of clays (I have no personal experience with this, so take it for what it is) whereas a an hour or two shooting 9mm or .223 at a relaxed pace is still a couple hundred rounds. My point being, people who are setting aside large quantities of ammo mostly for practice/training/range use are probably going through more of it than the typical shotgun shooter, although there are obviously going to be exceptions to that. In those cases, they're also transporting more ammo in their vehicle.

All that speculation aside, I can confidently state that my supplies of 9mm, .223 and even .45ACP each dwarf that of my 12ga supply, if for no other reason than that I shoot FAR more of those calibers for practice than of 12ga.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 06:30 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,987 Times in 2,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
There is a firearms section to discuss this in.
Yep - but it wont matter where this thread was originally posted once it has been moved to the raider thread.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,900 Times in 4,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
Yep - but it wont matter where this thread was originally posted once it has been moved to the raider thread.
Agreed. This is also a reminder that once you bug out (especially on foot), the distance between start point and end point, you are a refugee with a very finite amount of ammunition (and food, etc.). The best resupply is your own home, planned cache, or bugout location.

Another fact is that a single gunfight/firefight consumes a lot of your ammunition; for most, it would likely be all. Avoiding conflict and other people becomes a great priority; life expectancy is indirectly proportional to the number of violent engagements you have.

If you don't have it, you didn't plan properly and/or made stupid decisions. Scavenging for essentials such as ammo and food is going to become the most dangerous occupation in the world post-SHTF...it's something to be avoided by starting your planning and preparations now.

ROCK6
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 08:42 AM

There has been debate for years concerning what calibers would be the least difficult to acquire. The most common or the less common. The answer remains obscure.
The Following User Says Thank You to peecmkr45 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 11:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,388 Times in 2,769 Posts

If you live to fire off thousands of rounds of numerous calibers you will be very lucky. Remember thousands of incoming rounds will be offsetting your out going ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2019, 09:40 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyblood View Post
So it's all bad out and your low on pew pew ammo. Anyone care to guess most common out there to hope to find? I'm sure .22 comes up but who really wants that. I always thought folks with odd stuff would be at a disadvantage being short on useful loads. Anyone actually threw 50 plus pounds into your backpack from walmart? It's not easy after awhile.
Well...in the Zombie Apocalypse, the likelihood strangers will (cheerfully and willingly) give you ammo is unlikely. Stock your own for the weapons you have. 'Common' calibers are fine but 'uncommon' calibers are fine, too....if you store enough.
One thing to keep in mind: .22 rimfire ammo DOES deteriorate even if 'stored properly' (kept dry). I definitely try to rotate (shoot through) my .22 rimfire every 5 years. Or, move the older stuff to the 'barter' stocks.

As for backpack/Bugout Bags....consider .22 Magnum if you have a rifle and pistol combo and you're concerned about weight. I don't know if handguns in .22wmr have barrels long enough to get much added power over .22lr...but a rifle in .22wmr is pushing a potent little round. And having the handgun in the same caliber gives you "one caliber" carry. Plus, .22wmr is 'fairly common'...at least in the U.S.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:14 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,387 Times in 1,671 Posts

Fairly simple.......If you run out of ammo you deserve to die. People who want to avoid running out of ammo, have all they will ever need cached in many-many different locations.

Sadly most would prefer the latest Dingleberry cell-phone over 3,000 rounds of green tip.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:36 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC View Post
Fairly simple.......If you run out of ammo you deserve to die. People who want to avoid running out of ammo, have all they will ever need cached in many-many different locations.

Sadly most would prefer the latest Dingleberry cell-phone over 3,000 rounds of green tip.
That's right. 'Cause like, when you move to a new city or go on a long or even a short road trip, you should already have many-many locations of green tips cached along the route(s)...if not, you wil not only probably die but you will DESERVE to die.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:57 AM
Prepared

Most urban combat encounters, happen at 75M or under. I wouldnt hesitate to pound away with 22LR at that distance.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:11 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,484 Times in 5,567 Posts

An important prep for sure.
If you run out during a crisis, your chances of survival decreases and most of your other preps will probably be lost. All preps are important but being able to defend you and yours is of primary importance and requires arms and ammo.
The Following User Says Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post: