Seven Bikers die in crash - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 06-22-2019, 08:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 32,458 Times in 7,846 Posts
Default Seven Bikers die in crash

Advertise Here

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-h/1534851001/

Didn't see this posted so I am doing it.

Seven people were killed and three injured Friday when a pickup truck collided with members of a Marine veterans motorcycle club on a rural, two-lane road in northern New Hampshire, state police said.

The crash involved members of Marine JarHeads MC, a club in New England that includes Marines and their spouses.

“When something like this happens, we all feel it,” said Cat Wilson, who organizes a motorcycle charity event in Massachusetts and is a friend of some of the crash victims. “There is no tighter community than our biker community.”

Most members of that club are/were Marines. RIP brothers.

“It’s tragic,” New Hampshire State Police Capt. Chris Vetter told reporters at the scene. “It’s tragic for those involved, tragic for the families, so we’re doing our job, we’re doing our work and our thoughts are with the people who were adversely affected by this.”

Travis Hood, who was driving behind the truck, told WMUR he was the first person at the scene and stayed with one of the injured bikers until an ambulance arrived.

"I held his hand, and I tried to get him to, I'm like, 'Squeeze my hand. Stay with me. You're a strong guy. You've got this.' Toward the end, when the ambulance got there, I could feel him losing strength," Hood said...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Awesome

Thanked 22,236 Times in 7,408 Posts

how does that happen?
Old 06-22-2019, 08:26 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,110 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
how does that happen?
My guess- relatively blind corner, bikers riding close formation, opposite truck cuts corner, bikers swing wide, or both...
The Following User Says Thank You to .455_Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 08:29 PM
Survivor

No cause has been determined yet. It can take days for AI officers to figure it out but if they are trained well, they will come up with the cause. But as to the reasons behind that many bikes being involved is a different story.

When I rode with a club, we were basically in each other's pocket; we rode in a tight formation. We usually rode two side by side or in a tight staggered formation. So I could see that many bikes being hit.

Latest up-date is five club member and two family members died.
The Following User Says Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 08:44 PM
Survivor

Based on what I looked at, the club is not a so-called 1% MC or anything like that. They were just former Marine and Navy Corpsmen that rode. So not bad guys. They rode, based on the pictures, high end cruisers, not Jap rockets so they probably were just cruising and enjoying the day.

I can't wait to see what the crash investigation says but I will wait until then.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 09:21 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 22,682 Times in 8,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfScout View Post
Based on what I looked at, the club is not a so-called 1% MC or anything like that. They were just former Marine and Navy Corpsmen that rode. So not bad guys. They rode, based on the pictures, high end cruisers, not Jap rockets so they probably were just cruising and enjoying the day.

I can't wait to see what the crash investigation says but I will wait until then.
From what I have read they were also active duty Marines.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
The Following User Says Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 09:32 PM
Awesome

Thanked 22,236 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by .455_Hunter View Post
My guess- relatively blind corner, bikers riding close formation, opposite truck cuts corner, bikers swing wide, or both...
thats what i was thinking, but the photos dont look like a corner
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 09:42 PM
Survivor

Yeah, I noticed that. Seemed to be a fairly straight section of road. But no Monday Morning Quarterbacking. It'll take the final word on the scene before we know what happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 10:33 PM
Prepared

I've been trying to Piece things together with Google maps and the photos from the scene. I have no interest in placing blame here, but I am always interested in how my riding style contributes, prevents, or minimizes problems.

I ride with the attitude that I have more to loose in a wreck than any other vehicle, so I try to ride defensively. A large group I used to ride with went everywhere riding two abreast, with very close spacing front and back. They preferred Interstates which, in Texas typically meant 85mph+. I bowed out of the club just before an inexperienced member on way too much bike got blown off the road by a gust of wind and lost his leg.

Google Maps site showing accident location The Inn at Bowman (where some were staying is about 1/4 mile east of the location.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:58 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,540 Times in 1,181 Posts

I HAVE a couple hundred thousand miles on Beemer motorcycles. Belonged to a club for years. Every year as soon as the snow and ice cleared a bunch of us would head down to ride Deals Gap and then twisty our way through the Carolinas then back up towards Michigan.

Our riding rules were you NEVER doubled side by side unless you needed to get attention for something and you never rode any closer than 30yds between bikes on X-ways(traffic never had to slow down for us) and when doing twisty riding you still kept 50 feet between bikes, just for reasons like this.

Such a waste of life.

No matter who is at fault, SPACE gives options when things go badly.

I see some HD riders who seem bent on riding 2 abreast and with no space between the following bikes and one deer will take out 5-6 bikes.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,280 Times in 826 Posts

Marines more than anyone should know better than to bunch up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Timbersawz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 11:15 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
No matter who is at fault, SPACE gives options when things go badly.

I see some HD riders who seem bent on riding 2 abreast and with no space between the following bikes and one deer will take out 5-6 bikes.
That's kind of what I was thinking. If oncoming traffic swerves suddenly enough, the lead bike in the left side of the lane may not have time to react, but if riding two abreast, there is no maneuvering space.

Bumper to bumper spacing doesn't allow me to enjoy the ride, so I don't do it. The very few I ride with ignore the two second rule in favor of five or ten seconds.

It is difficult for me to understand the rest of the carnage. There was a field to the right of the riders they could have peeled off into even if their entire lane was blocked. I've been forced off the road (at high speed a few times) and generally am able to regain the road without dropping the bike.

My heart goes out to these riders and their families, but for those of us still riding, ride safe.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firewallsrus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 11:25 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,140 Times in 1,010 Posts

That is why I have ridden solo for many years. Never wanted to be part of Group on a regular basis. Having had a car make Left Turn into me at an intersection When I was the third vehicle now has me waiting an extra 5-10 seconds before I proceed thru the intersection even now. I also like to ride to the inside of the Road instead of the outside nearer the edge. that way it keeps a car from trying to pass you illegally taking part of your lane and forcing you off the road.

God bless those that went down. Never a good thing to hear especially when you Ride yourself.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:41 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,850 Times in 6,415 Posts

I know that road pretty well. Ridden it a few times during Bike Week, and at other times as well. Beautiful area. Has no sharp corners where the wreck happened. No forward visibility issues at all.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that some of the guys were left of center. This happens a LOT during Bike Week. Too much enthusiasm, too much vicarious rebellion against authority, maybe fueled with a little alcohol or ???. Been there, done that. I survived. Maybe I shouldn't have. Guess I was born to be hung.

Truck had a trailer on, looks like a single place car hauler in one photo..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 01:44 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,699 Times in 792 Posts

I've been riding since I was twelve years old, and I've never felt the need to ride in a group. If you want to socialize, have a BBQ, go to a bar and have a few beers or go fishing. When you're riding in a group, you naturally start paying attention to the other bikes and not to the road or the cars on it.
I wouldn't ride close to other bikes on a narrow twisty road unless I was participating in a race and no cars were allowed on the road.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 01:47 AM
Retired kafir

Thanked 48,048 Times in 11,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by .455_Hunter View Post
I've been riding for 53 years. Rode with a group some years ago and we NEVER ride two abreast or in a pack.

I have noticed that there are a LOT of cars that cut corners into the opposite lane. I had one do it to me today while in my car. Came right over into my lane. I saw it coming and laid on the horn while going wide.

F-ing idiots. I need my neighbor's duce-and-a-half. Take the bastards out.

RIP to the downed riders.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 01:55 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,246 Times in 8,903 Posts

I quit riding on the street period. Too many idiots looking at their phone. When I learned to drive dad told me you can have the right of way and you can be dead right.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 02:10 AM
Retired kafir

Thanked 48,048 Times in 11,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
I quit riding on the street period. Too many idiots looking at their phone. When I learned to drive dad told me you can have the right of way and you can be dead right.
And I just bought a new street motorcycle. Maybe I'm crazy, but I enjoy it. I stay away from the freeways and city traffic, just the twisties and access to the twisties and I avoid riding on weekends when the nutbags are let loose.

That being said, motorcyclists need to assume that EVERY car is out to get you.

In my area there has been a rash of motorcyclist crashes and deaths. Much more than in previous times. IMHO the average driver these days is verging on menace to society. All over the road, doesn't stay in their lane, doing everything but driving the damn car.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 04:22 AM
Militant Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
And I just bought a new street motorcycle. Maybe I'm crazy, but I enjoy it. I stay away from the freeways and city traffic, just the twisties and access to the twisties and I avoid riding on weekends when the nutbags are let loose.

That being said, motorcyclists need to assume that EVERY car is out to get you.

In my area there has been a rash of motorcyclist crashes and deaths. Much more than in previous times. IMHO the average driver these days is verging on menace to society. All over the road, doesn't stay in their lane, doing everything but driving the damn car.
I'm going back maybe 30 years with this, but somebody did a study of single-vehicle motorcycle deaths, and found something like 90% involved alcohol. I'm still of a mind that it was a factor in this mess. Bike Week in NH brought as many as 150,000 bikers to the area when I was doing it, but only 20,000 ever went to the track to see the races. The rest just partied, and partied hard, too.

Granted I now live in a very rural area, but I don't see the current crop of cage drivers as being any more dangerous than they were in the '60s/'70s/'80s when I was putting 40,000 a year in on a bike. 'Course most of those years were in metropolitan Boston, which was always in the top 3 for madhouse traffic. (I raced on paved tracks for a dozen years, and always felt it was safer than commuting.)

Funny thing, my retirement AO here is a knee-draggers' heaven, but 98% of the bikes you see on the roads are Harleys. Go figure.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 07:41 AM
Militant Normal

Only just occurred to me - NH doesn't have a helmet requirement for adults over 16. So waddayawannabet none of the group had helmets on. And waddayawannabet that a high proportion of the fatalities were head injuries.

Not to be holier than anybody, but I long ago became so habituated to helmets that I once locked up my workshop and put on my helmet to WALK to my apartment.