Shots fired, do you respond? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creepy stories from the outdoors. MT Patriot Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6413 11-04-2019 08:29 PM
Which Conspiracy Theories Do you Believe In? Porkchop Samich Polls and Surveys 106 01-31-2019 10:25 PM
Head Shots at 10 Yards AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-31-2018 04:00 PM
The real reason why Comey was fired katsung47 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 61 07-08-2017 11:37 PM
single shots? justin22885 Rifle Forum 32 10-31-2016 09:40 AM

Old 05-24-2019, 01:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,996 Times in 19,129 Posts

Advertise Here

I am very rural, this would not happen in the city.

Yesterday I unexpectedly bought 40+ fruit and nut trees.

Right now a neighbor is running a chainsaw for me while I rest and get lunch together.
I tried to pay him, he needs the money. He said that I do too much for him and he won't take the money.

Last month or 2 I handed him a pistol when he didn't have enough money to pay me for it. (He made good) His long term GF's baby daddy had just got out of prison. Abused her and caused a cop to be medically retired when they were called and my neighbor who had quite a few guns had sold them to take care of someone else's kid.

A few years back he had a prowler and I cut through the woods with a chest rig and an AK. He had an AR and we needed the prowler away.... Never came back.

I am on the Vol FD, at night there's 1 sheriff on duty and response time could be hours.

Had a neighbor (people 5+ miles away are 'neighbors' due to low population) who went to stay with family due to health and her granddaughter and husband moved in.
Frequent domestic calls. At one point I showed up (first responder) with an 870 in my hands, plate carrier, turnout over it and medical kit slung over one shoulder. Cop never turned a hair (when he showed.)

Another time a visiting son, nephew who shot himself in the knee with a .22 revolver at about midnight. Even in the tub I was first on scene.
Cop tried to get me to join the PD that time.

When there was a stabbing (not a neigjbor, too far away) the Vol FD established an armed.peremiter while a couple of us worked on the victim and the cops worked the scene.

Tomorrow a buddy is bringing over his tractor and his uncle's auger to help dig the holes for his fruit tree.

When he had to fire one of his farm hands I was behind him with my hand around the Glock 27 in my pocket. (Guy had drink and drug issues, etc)

My baby saw (one handed limbing saw... Only one I can run for very long with my injuries) has a clue line issue.
I just went and borrowed a buddies sthil.
He would come if I called and I him.

People in the city are making out on the community.
In bad time and in good times we pull together and do what needs doing.
That's what makes irksome in good times and in bad, and perhaps in really bad.

We are used to pulling together when needed.
Ride, repair, food, labor, money, gun, Gf's broken arm from rolling a 4 wheeler....

I will and have gone. I am insured through the FD and carry my on 'shooting insurance' that costs me $24/month.

They come.when I need help too
Quick reply to this message
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 01:47 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Good lord... you live in the most violent rural area I've ever heard of... where is this place? LOL
Old 05-24-2019, 02:33 PM
Nemo me impune lacessit

Location: Near where Indiana, Michigan and Lake Michigan meet.
Thanked 3,251 Times in 2,026 Posts

I'm rural by location. A gun shot or two isn't unusual unless its late at night. Probably neighbor getting rid of problem animal. Close neighbor, grab the flashlight and Glock and go. I'm a retired LEO who is well aware of the law. I know my neighbors and they know me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 02:48 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 17,164 Times in 5,286 Posts

A few comments mentioned calling 9-11 then going to the disturbance armed. Good idea in an urban environment?
Old 05-24-2019, 03:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,242 Times in 8,108 Posts

I have had neighbors having fights, tried to bring the drama to my house. I did not open the door and dialed 911. It never happened again, I assume he got a better class of friend.

Have had guys beating on the other neighbor's door (the illegals) in the middle of the night like they were owed money, then a heated conversation for an extended period. One guy started crying. Can we please keep this internal?

The only time a neighbor ever fired their gun the people next door (the illegals) were having a very LOUD home church in the backyard at 11 PM. The people one house down fired some rounds during the middle of the praising or whatever, broke up the party, they never came back. I would have kissed 'em if I knew who.

One neighbor woman about to snap shoved her baby in my arms one night and left for hours. My husband was terrified I would want my own baby after that. I was happy to do it. He was a cute little guy, hard to believe he is grown now.

My brother shot himself accidentally, dropped a loaded gun. He required surgery. He had some wolf-mix hybrids and animal control took them all while he was laid up. He was more upset about the dogs than the accident. "They gave me a dead guy's knee". Good endorsement for tissue donation!
Old 05-24-2019, 03:18 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,511 Times in 5,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
We are used to pulling together when needed.
Ride, repair, food, labor, money, gun, Gf's broken arm from rolling a 4 wheeler....

I will and have gone. I am insured through the FD and carry my on 'shooting insurance' that costs me $24/month.

They come.when I need help too
Yes, same here.

There is only one house further down my road, which is a private easement and a married couple lives down there with 2 vehicles. I can tell if a vehicle goes by whether it's them or the UPS truck. If it's not them I'll sometimes call the neighbors or sometimes jump in the jeep and go after them. If I can get to the road before the car goes by, I'll actually meet them, stop them and talk to them. (armed) The neighbors look out for me, too.

If I hear shots in the middle of the night, I can tell whether its neighbors shooting at a predator by the pattern of shots. We text each other usually, to let each other know what's going on and/or to warn of the predator.

If I heard some shots that were weird, I'd be calling and if necessary, there would be a few neighbors going on a midnight manhunt. It would take the cops at least a half hour to get here.

When at 5:00 AM I discovered a lion had killed my two goats and was still in the area, I went hunting and was firing a lot of shots (and missing). While I was outside, my daughter called a different neighbor (one who lives closer but through the woods, not by a road) who showed up immediately on a four wheeler, armed. Ready to do anything including an all day trip into the mountains following that cat, if that's what it takes.

If I lived in the city it would be different. I would not get involved.

Last edited by sarco2000; 05-24-2019 at 04:10 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 03:19 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Tamer View Post
I'm rural by location. A gun shot or two isn't unusual unless its late at night. Probably neighbor getting rid of problem animal. Close neighbor, grab the flashlight and Glock and go. I'm a retired LEO who is well aware of the law. I know my neighbors and they know me.
Nighttime gun-fire in the country around here, is typically a rancher or some kids killing hogs. Hell, I've had a couple/few 2-3am shootings of some 500 pounders. You can't pass up a 500 pound feral... those are some huge hams and slabs of bacon.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:23 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,304 Times in 13,084 Posts

Quote:
Do you just go to bed or do you do anything different?
If it sounded really close and I was sitting by a window, I would move.
Quote:
If you have travel plans to the area the shots were fired from do you do anything different due to hearing them?
I probably wouldn't be traveling after midnight, but if I were and I needed to leave immediately, I might take a different route, depending on how many of what type I heard and if there are sirens headed toward me.
Quote:
A fight breaks out in your/your neighbours back yard. Do you stay in bed or do you do something about it.. you think someone will get seriously hurt if you don't do anything.
I know both sets of neighbors well. If there are no strangers in the fight and I don't see any weapons, I am going to mind my own business and let them work it out. Now if they are in MY yard? Whole different story.
Quote:
What is your take on these situations?
Everyplace I have ever lived including the middle of nowhere, it happens.
Quote:
Do you feel obligated to do something? Do you change plans?
Not usually. At one time we lived next to a truly crazy man. In the middle of the city, with no thought to traffic or children, he liked to go shoot off his guns. It was usually the sign he had reached the 3 day point on a moonshine bender. In that case, stay inside, away from the windows and call the cops AGAIN.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 04:11 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamAshley View Post
Ok,

so say you are just laying in bed, and you hear 4 shots ring out at some distance just before midnight.

If you have travel plans to the area the shots were fired from do you do anything different due to hearing them?

Likewise in this same vein. A fight breaks out in your/your neighbours back yard. Do you stay in bed or do you do something about it.. you think someone will get seriously hurt if you don't do anything.

Do you feel obligated to do something?
Do you change plans?

What?
Your first scenario is too vague for any useful answers.
The "fight in the neighbor's back yard" wouldn't be a good situation in which to insert yourself without knowing all the details.

If you aren't a LEO, it's generally best not to "respond" in most normal circumstances.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 04:42 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 32,970 Times in 12,419 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

I live in a large metro area where shots fired nearby is a routine occurrence.
Normally my wife will ask how close it was and what size gun, I’ll give her an educated guess and we will go back to whatever we were doing.

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,707 Times in 9,226 Posts

Anytime I hear gunshots, I turn on the scanner and go outside and access the situation. Most of the time nothing comes of it. Only once did we call 911 because of a major fight across the street and we were afraid someone might get hurt. The 12 year old daughter was outside screaming "somebody help". The cops showing up seemed to solve the issue and she thanked us later. No shots were fired but we knew they had guns and it was an outside party that was causing the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 07:14 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamAshley View Post
Ok,

so say you are just laying in bed, and you hear 4 shots ring out at some distance just before midnight.

Likewise in this same vein. A fight breaks out in your/your neighbours back yard. Do you stay in bed or do you do something about it.. you think someone will get seriously hurt if you don't do anything.

Do you feel obligated to do something?
Do you change plans?

What?
1. Move to an interior corner of the house well away from any windows. do not turn on or off lights as to attract attention. Not going out there.

2. Its not my fight, not going to do anything but ring up 9/11 and listen to the scanner.

3. If its at my neighbors, I would be concerned depending upon which one. I might call over there by phone to see whats up. I had a neighbor once where I was hoping for the day, but he found AA 12 steps and came by to apologize for being such an *******. He is gone now, bless his little heart.

4. The "bad neighborhood" here is actually not bad at all, so more worried about the newer areas, high density HOA's where a lot of students have taken over and we have transient families move in for a few years and move on, identical houses made of ticky tacky, you would not know that Ted Bundy might live there dutifully paying HOA dues. Upper class domestic violence, bitter people living above their means with big EGO's, here and there. Woman shot her husband, they were living in a fancy house, two expensive cars, embroiled in an HOA dispute, she went Cra Cra. A week ago our dear Mayor threatened gun violence on his neighbor, also an HOA related dispute. Police Swat did a big drug bust just yesterday in one of the "nice neighborhoods".
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 07:41 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,353 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Good lord... you live in the most violent rural area I've ever heard of... where is this place? LOL
Sounds like where I live.

Actually now I remember nomad once said almost the same thing you just did but about me.

I suspect everyplace is a lot more violent than most people think but most people outside the FD and EMS system never know it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 08:02 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,896 Times in 5,432 Posts

Not enough info for #1
#2, Call 911, In my neighborhood they will usually be there in 3 min. or less.
Depending on which neighbor, I might yell out the window, "Cops are coming."
Old 05-24-2019, 08:05 PM
Target Shooter

Not anymore since I retired . Hearing gunshots nightly in the firehouse was common in the ‘90s not as much later on though , if they didn’t dispatch us I just rolled over . My record was three shootings in one night , probably 200-300 in my career. Oh and one year five people were shot to death within 100 yards of the firehouse , this is bringing back fond memories......

One night when we still lived in the city , a kid fired two 12 ga rounds from the sidewalk in front of our home ,so maybe 25 feet from our house . Never heard them..... But I sure as Hell wouldn’t have gone outside !
Old 05-24-2019, 09:55 PM
Kiss my Grass

Thanked 2,271 Times in 741 Posts

This would be very uncommon in my area.

If remotely close, I'd put family into inner most rooms - wife & I would be armed.

I'd double check doors, and wait near TV for information. If I had any clue what was going on I'd call 911.

I would not "check it out" nor run to anyone's rescue.
The Following User Says Thank You to ManVsLawn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 12:59 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,320 Times in 8,796 Posts

#1. Do NOT go to the scene armed. You call 9-1-1, stay on the phone and be the greatest witness that the police ever had. If you go armed to the scene of a shots fired call, guess who the police might think fired the shots? The guy with the gun: YOU.

#2. If you have the ability, videotape events that are unfolding in your area. After everything has calmed down, turn the tape over to the police when you can. You will probably want to give the video to a detective assigned to follow-up on the case.

#3. Do not leave the security of your home and stay alert to help protect the police. Watch for any suspects who might be trying to ambush responding officers by hiding behind the target area and alert the dispatcher to what you see before any officers walk into the ambush zone. Try not to turn on any lights to keep any suspects from alerting to the fact that you may be watching out your windows. Check on your family members and move them away from the dangerous side of the house to far side where they might be safer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 02:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,211 Times in 1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
#1. Do NOT go to the scene armed. You call 9-1-1, stay on the phone and be the greatest witness that the police ever had. If you go armed to the scene of a shots fired call, guess who the police might think fired the shots? The guy with the gun: YOU.

#2. If you have the ability, videotape events that are unfolding in your area. After everything has calmed down, turn the tape over to the police when you can. You will probably want to give the video to a detective assigned to follow-up on the case.

#3. Do not leave the security of your home and stay alert to help protect the police. Watch for any suspects who might be trying to ambush responding officers by hiding behind the target area and alert the dispatcher to what you see before any officers walk into the ambush zone. Try not to turn on any lights to keep any suspects from alerting to the fact that you may be watching out your windows. Check on your family members and move them away from the dangerous side of the house to far side where they might be safer.
I agree with you 99.999% but if you or your loved ones are in need of help, would you like a neighbour that sits tight while you are in trouble?
The last thing I want is to play hero and get shot, or even deal with the PITA of getting involved in a potential crime/shooting that isnt my business.
But if someone I consider close is in trouble, or even a neighbour I said to call me if they ever need anything, then I wont sit it out if they are in trouble any more than I would like them to do nothing if my family is in danger either.

That goes for everything from checking on the old lady next door if I hear or see anything suspicious to checking on them if the power goes down and I think they may need some help.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:13 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,232 Times in 7,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRyan View Post
Only if my first name is Officer or Batman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
Is it your JOB to respond? If the answer is no then that's your answer.
If its near by and you dont live in some hellhole with people shooting at each other all day maybe you call 911 to report it.
Shots fired across the street or next door and people you consider friends may be in danger then thats a different story.
Agreed. Shots in the distance are not my concern. I might call 911.

Not too long ago, I woke up to gun shots in the distance probably 2-3 miles from my home. Turns out that a cop was killed in a shootout. I think perp died too. Tragic. But literally NOTHING I could realistically do. My involvement would pre-occupy responding LEO and get me involved and complicate my life and resolve nothing. Besides, it would take realistically 30 minutes to get up, get ready, go out, and attempt to locate the area of the (not long gone) sound of gun shots "in that direction."

Also in my area, some folks have gun ranges. So gunshots are not uncommon.

Anyway, I'm not a superhero, nobody is paying me to run into danger or be a bullet sponge. There's also liability with engaging in ANY scenario when you don't know what's going on. You could shoot innocent people, be shot by those on the scene, miss your target and harm bystanding innocents, or be fired upon by responding law enforcement. Far too complex.

So, I'll stay put and be a good witness.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 04:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,996 Times in 19,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Not really. Keep in mind this is over 5 years and for example the stabbing was over (well over) 20 miles from me.

Aerindel nailed it... I have a EMS radio, and know all the first responders in this part of the county. So either officially or unofficially I know most of the "bad" that's going on.

Your are is little different, except perhaps you don't have to drive as far
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post: