Shots fired, do you respond? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creepy stories from the outdoors. MT Patriot Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6413 11-04-2019 08:29 PM
Which Conspiracy Theories Do you Believe In? Porkchop Samich Polls and Surveys 106 01-31-2019 10:25 PM
Head Shots at 10 Yards AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-31-2018 04:00 PM
The real reason why Comey was fired katsung47 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 61 07-08-2017 11:37 PM
single shots? justin22885 Rifle Forum 32 10-31-2016 09:40 AM

Old 05-23-2019, 11:41 PM
Birds of a Feather

Default Shots fired, do you respond?

Advertise Here

Ok,

so say you are just laying in bed, and you hear 4 shots ring out at some distance just before midnight.

Do you just go to bed or do you do anything different?

If you have travel plans to the area the shots were fired from do you do anything different due to hearing them?

Likewise in this same vein. A fight breaks out in your/your neighbours back yard. Do you stay in bed or do you do something about it.. you think someone will get seriously hurt if you don't do anything.

What is your take on these situations?

Do you feel obligated to do something?
Do you change plans?

What?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WilliamAshley For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 11:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,753 Times in 7,443 Posts

I live in a low crime suburb of a small city. We hear shots fired several times a year. Someone is shooting at some stray something.

Fight breaks out in my neighbor's yard. The wife call 911; I take my gun to the fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 12:00 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,353 Times in 4,315 Posts

I hear gunshots everyday...and at night too. Its normal.

Heck, this morning I was outside at 7AM, naked, except for earpro, firing rounds into the dirt to chase a pair of bears out of my garbage.

But I think the question is if you would respond to suspicious gunshots.

Sure. Life is nasty brutish and short. Rather take the risk than stay at home while 'life' happens around me. I don't want to die of old age. I figure I only have about ten good years left. Going to take every chance I can to go out doing something.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 12:09 AM
Target Shooter

Neighbors fighting, call the cops. Shots fired, grab the AR and move it closer to my TV watching chair just in case the shots start getting close and personal.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to FortunateSon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 01:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,364 Times in 2,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post

Heck, this morning I was outside at 7AM, naked.

Way to much sharing, my friend!

Definitely. I only have one neighbor homesteader husband/wife who are close enough for me to hear shots from them. They are rational and sober enough not to blast off rounds in the middle of the night without good reason. It’s either a bear or a human encroaching on their space. I’d be gearing up in a heartbeat ready to go help if I don’t get a text from them that they just killed a bear. I know this is in the urban forum, so I guess it would depend on the community. I’d probably hunker down and call the cops in such an environment.s
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 01:40 AM

Probably not doing anything.

If it's close enough or somehow otherwise alarming then I might bother to call the cops. It's their job to deal with that stuff and there are a lot more of them than there are of me. If it's somewhere I'm headed I might simply avoid the area. Responding to gunfire is a great way to get yourself shot.

One exception: I do live directly next to a school. If some freak decided to pull a Columbine I'd respond for that. I almost certainly wouldn't go running in with a rifle though, since cops and innocents alike would probably confuse me for the shooter. However, I would do whatever I could to give the best chance to the students and staff on campus and support any and all responding LEO's. I do come equipped with some handy tools and training for such an event.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ErnstHatAngst For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 01:45 AM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 17,164 Times in 5,286 Posts

Have experienced both more than once. Calling the police did nothing. Getting involved made it worse.
Never again. Someone else will do it.

If a neighbor was fighting an attacker of course I would help. Domestic dispute, no thanks.

Noone hangs around in an Urban environment after shooting a gun so wouldn’t make difference 10 minutes later.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 02:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,167 Times in 6,647 Posts

Only if my first name is Officer or Batman.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 04:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,211 Times in 1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamAshley View Post
Ok,

so say you are just laying in bed, and you hear 4 shots ring out at some distance just before midnight.

If you have travel plans to the area the shots were fired from do you do anything different due to hearing them?

Likewise in this same vein. A fight breaks out in your/your neighbours back yard. Do you stay in bed or do you do something about it.. you think someone will get seriously hurt if you don't do anything.

Do you change plans?

What?
Is it your JOB to respond? If the answer is no then that's your answer.
If its near by and you dont live in some hellhole with people shooting at each other all day maybe you call 911 to report it.
Shots fired across the street or next door and people you consider friends may be in danger then thats a different story.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 04:29 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,220 Times in 532 Posts

I don’t get involved in domestic disputes. Maybe if some woman is about to get killed. Or a child. But that’s it. I’m not getting involved to save somebody a black eye or broken nose.

We live in the suburbs people shoot varmints we hear shots once or twice most weeks .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 04:55 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,353 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
Way to much sharing, my friend!
Hey, at least I didn't post any pictures.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 06:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,738 Posts

In the before the event you can hear shots at any time from any of my neighbors places, this is a rural area, from coons in the chicken house to target practice. My neighbors are used to hearing lots of shooting at my place. I know what is about normal from any of my neighbors. If I hear something that doesn't sound right I might try to call them. If I knew they were in trouble and a deputy hadn't shown yet I would go ARMED to check it out.

After TEOTWAWKI I intend to go visit my neighbors and leave them a handheld radio and talk to them about mutual security. I WILL definitely go help anyone who is being attacked, and I hope that my neighbors will do the same for me.

If we ignore problems in the neighborhood we are inviting bad actors to invade and they will raid from one place to another and probably eventually end up here. Better to fight them in someone else's back yard with help from my other neighbors than fight them in my backyard with no help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 07:14 AM
Prepared

Thanked 1,048 Times in 302 Posts

Back in the fall, party going on across the street, suburban neighborhood. I woke up about 4am to yelling. I watched from the bedroom window as the drunken argument moved to the street. When things moved into my yard I grabbed my pants and my carry gun by the bed and went out the back door. I walked around the side of the house, stood in the shadows and observed. If it moved further in the yard I would have made myself known but it moved back into the street and after about 20 minutes the event died out.

Earlier this year, my wife woke me cause she heard a gunshot, she hadn't been to bed yet. I sat and listened as another 3 shots rang out. Discharge of a firearm in town will get you jail time depending on circumstances (self defense ok). The shots were close. I grabbed my carry gun by the bed and looked outside around the house scanning the neighborhood. Having not seen anything I called the non-emergency police number to report I heard shots letting them know they sounded close but couldn't tell where they came from. I never did hear if anything was ever found.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:13 AM

I would get armed with the rifle and the bedside gun. Check outside to get a better fix on the location. Going to intervene, no way, job experience has taught me to stay out of domestic disturbances unless children are bring harmed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to pikepole20 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 08:35 AM
Target Shooter

35 yrs ago that would have been me raking the tree tops 300 yd distance after the yapping hounds woke me up (coon hunting in woods they had no permission to be in).
Neighbors fighting .... I try to MYOB , but if it looked out of hand 3 of them I'd walk over open carry and ask if everything is OK.
One of them I'd put some popcorn on and enjoy the show from my front porch.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Priorities. Col. 3:1-4

I’m in the camp of don’t get involved in a domestic dispute beyond calling the cops, unless it’s obvious grave bodily harm is imminent and it’s fairly clear you could intervene without foolishly endangering yourself (there’s unavoidable risk, sure, but I’m talking about being reckless).

Police scanners (or internet broadcasts of same) have been useful to us on a couple of occasions to gather info about goings-on in our neighborhood. Once there was a guy hiding in the woods between our house and a parking lot after he’d pulled a gun at a nearby bar and then ran, throwing it into the woods. Learned all that on the scanner, not the local news.
The Following User Says Thank You to Surviving Suburbia For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 10:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,190 Times in 3,492 Posts

Shots in the distance - go back to watching my old "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" DVDs and ignore them.

Disturbance next door -
Husband and wife fighting - buy the winner a beer the next day.

Home invasion - call 911, grab my AK, and go help my neighbors.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 11:32 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,129 Posts

I had three shots just west of my home last night (less than a block). I called 911, got the dogs inside and went outside to see if anything was going on. The 911 operator asked if there were any screaming, etc. (there was not) and a police office rolled by less than five minutes after my call (actually surprised me with our shortages). Happens from time to time but I don't feel obliged to play super hero. I want to see if my neighbors are in trouble and that's it.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,102 Times in 7,002 Posts

Quote:
Ok,
so say you are just laying in bed, and you hear 4 shots ring out at some distance just before midnight....

.....If you have travel plans to the area the shots were fired from do you do anything different due to hearing them?
You are laying in bed....but have "travel plans"....to a place within earshot?

The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 11:57 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Quote:
Ok, so say you are just laying in bed, and you hear 4 shots ring out at some distance just before midnight.
Quote:
4 shots in the distance means nothing. I would go back to doing what I was doing.

Quote:
I may be a bit more cautious, but it wouldn't stop my from traveling. If it were automatic gunfire, I may find a different route.

Quote:
If they are in their own back yard, I mind my own business. However, if they get too loud, I would just call the police and have them deal with them.

If they were in my back yard, they would be dealt with quickly. I don't bull**** when it comes to trespassing and starting ****.

Quote:
These seem like normal occurrences that can happen on any given day. Nothing really alarming to me.

Quote:
Nope... matter of fact, I typically leave people to do whatever stupidity they want, as long as it doesn't effect me.

Quote:
Do you change plans?
Never

Quote:
What?
What?