9mm AR Build - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My AR build red-dirt-ranger Rifle Forum 42 01-28-2018 02:59 PM
Sig MPX AR Pistol 9mm 8" 30rd Side-Folding PSB FDE from $1558 + Free Shipping wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 11-06-2017 09:05 PM
AR 10 build. captainkaos Rifle Forum 9 04-26-2017 09:10 AM
It appears to me the 40 S&W is on the decline as a police arm. wtr100 Pistol and Revolver Forum 102 04-06-2017 07:10 PM
AR build decision making. COharbinger Military Weapons Forum 27 11-08-2016 09:12 PM

Old 05-05-2019, 08:22 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,003 Times in 493 Posts
Default 9mm AR Build

Advertise Here

Picked up a couple of lowers yesterday a PSA and thinking about building a couple of 9mm AR's.

To those who have built these before: Any pitfalls or issues you have encountered?

Who has parts I need to stay away from?

My current plan is to build a Colt style 9mm AR but with a flat top upper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 02:19 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 9,194 Times in 3,568 Posts

I built a PSA 9mm with Colt style magazines and it works like a champ. Not one hiccup since 2015.

Al

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”- Benjamin Franklin

Always looking for Bayonets and Surplus gun parts. Come on, I know you guys have some stuff stashed
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Al Diehl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 03:45 PM
Trapper

I like that. A lot. What kind of mag well insert did you use?

Old 05-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 9,194 Times in 3,568 Posts

The one that PSA sold with the kit. It has no name on it but, I assume it is a PSA all metal adapter.

Al

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”- Benjamin Franklin

Always looking for Bayonets and Surplus gun parts. Come on, I know you guys have some stuff stashed
The Following User Says Thank You to Al Diehl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 PM
Target Shooter

Built mine on an Anderson lower, ar15part.com upper, cmmg bolt, kak received block and psa lpk. Runs flawless. Great pistol.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pinetreescent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 10:07 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,870 Times in 5,157 Posts

I don't have a 9mm AR, and I want one.
I do have Glocks, and plenty of 33rd mags, but... I REALLY like the way the Colt mags look. Silly I know, but it's sexy. The cant on the Glock mags doesn't look as cool.

Pretty shallow in many ways, but at this point if I'm going to add a sixth caliber to my AR's who am I kidding? It's about 'want' rather than 'necessity.'

Good looking AR's guys.
Would love something like an M3 Greasegun (I know they're 45ACP) in 9mm.
So many guns, so little gun budget....
Old 05-09-2019, 07:38 PM
Shade Tree Gynecologist

Thanked 6,800 Times in 2,292 Posts

crank up the press for 9mm
like I said, its as much or more fun like 22lr, just much more expensive!!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SCPigpen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 06:55 AM
In Peace as in War

Thumbs up

I’ve got two Colt 9mm Carbines (AR 6450 & AR6951). The barrels don’t heat up like they do on a 5.56mm AR. Honestly, shooting a 9mm AR is the most fun you can have with your clothes on...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozone Crusade For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 01:45 PM
operatorchan.org

Thanked 2,028 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Picked up a couple of lowers yesterday a PSA and thinking about building a couple of 9mm AR's.

To those who have built these before: Any pitfalls or issues you have encountered?

Who has parts I need to stay away from?

My current plan is to build a Colt style 9mm AR but with a flat top upper.

If you handload, make sure to not over-pressure loads for 16" barrels. When I started handloading I ended up with 2 case head separations and a broken extractor because my loads were a bit too hot. Now I stick with middle of the road loads, strictly with 124gr bullets. I also read in Speer's reloading book Volume 14 (I believe) that 147gr bullets can pose a risk in barrels over 10" due to not moving as fast as lighter bullets; adding potential for a stuck bullet. While I have shot factory 147gr 9mm through my PSA carbine, I've avoided it since learning that.
The Following User Says Thank You to strokes762 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 01:52 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokes762 View Post
If you handload, make sure to not over-pressure loads for 16" barrels. When I started handloading I ended up with 2 case head separations and a broken extractor because my loads were a bit too hot. Now I stick with middle of the road loads, strictly with 124gr bullets. I also read in Speer's reloading book Volume 14 (I believe) that 147gr bullets can pose a risk in barrels over 10" due to not moving as fast as lighter bullets; adding potential for a stuck bullet. While I have shot factory 147gr 9mm through my PSA carbine, I've avoided it since learning that.
Good info, thanks. I never load max, just try to keep things at factory specs

Old 05-21-2019, 01:36 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,870 Posts

Quote:
I've watched many thousands of factory 147 grain 9mm go downrange through 16" barrels, never an issue.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 09:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 44,974 Times in 13,155 Posts

Quote:
if you look at Ballistics By The Inch you notice a trend with pistol caliber carbines in 9mm, 40S&W, and 10mm

namely, that the lighter bullets perform better in terms of energy and velocity gain, and overall energy at 16 inches

it seems counterintuitive. in 9mm the 90gr performed best, the 147gr worst, across different manufacturers. it seems to bear our across all auto-calibers.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:23 AM
Near The Glow

Thanked 1,668 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
REALLY like the way the Colt mags look. Silly I know, but it's sexy. The cant on the Glock mags doesn't look as cool.
Good, thought it was just me that can't get enough of the Colt mags for that very reason . I made mine take inspiration from an MP5A5 a bit.

I built mine, QC10 blem lower + blem VLTOR upper, 7.5" heavy barrel and QC10 handguard that fits the VLTOR. Everything on it I bought on sale in some fashion (except the LPK, normal price. Maxim brace was also on sale. It's my favorite AR to shoot.

My word of caution is that unless you're building one with a 16" barrel, you're going to hear a lot of people saying run very heavy buffers like the Spike's ST-9X. Maybe this is unique to me, but if I bump fire this thing that Spike's buffer just wasn't moving fast enough and wound up with an OOB primer strike . That was exciting. Granted it was subsonic ammo, but I'll happily accept a smidge more recoil and ensure that bolt is moving quick enough, but not fast enough to get the "port bark" to happen. The 115's will run like crazy now .

My "winning formula" for my 7.5" barrel is a 9mm bolt (16oz one, I'm using a CMMG 9mm bolt), a Geissele Super 42 spring + H1 buffer (they sell them together as aunit) and 7 flat washers in the bottom of the tube (to speed up the cycle and prolong bolt catch life)- this was when I was using a standard tube and the SBa3 brace. The Maxim PCB buffer also works very well so far, and needs no washers (it actually shortened the stroke even further by about 3/32"). Harder to bump since it's even shorter now, but hopefully I've gotten that out of my system.

Quote:
crank up the press for 9mm
Ain't that the truth! Haha!

Latest thing is waiting for a Silencerco Hybrid and a 3-lug mount for it. It is VERY quiet when using my friend's Hybrid.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagnumWill For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 07:31 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,508 Times in 5,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumWill View Post
My "winning formula" for my 7.5" barrel is a 9mm bolt (16oz one, I'm using a CMMG 9mm bolt), a Geissele Super 42 spring + H1 buffer (they sell them together as aunit) and 7 flat washers in the bottom of the tube (to speed up the cycle and prolong bolt catch life)- this was when I was using a standard tube and the SBa3 brace.
Posting just so I can come back and find this some day. I've had a 9mm stripped lower in the safe for over a year now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 07:54 AM
In Peace as in War

^^^ You’ve got the most important part already...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozone Crusade For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 02:57 AM
operatorchan.org

Thanked 2,028 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post
I've watched many thousands of factory 147 grain 9mm go downrange through 16" barrels, never an issue.
That's fine and dandy, I've had the same results. But when it comes to handloading most books will go a little below factory loads. Just to cover themselves in case their data causes either a squib or an excessive load, they say 147gr 9x19mm may cause issues.

Quote:
variation in locking mechanisms and spring rates in 9mm... may exhibit sluggish function with the slower of 147 grain loads.
-Speer Vol. 13 Page 503
Old 07-29-2019, 06:20 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
Posting just so I can come back and find this some day. I've had a 9mm stripped lower in the safe for over a year now.

I haven't had my stuff that long, but it feels like it.

So far I have the lowers and the parts to go in them. Bought bolts and charging handles too.

What mag block should I get? Looking to use stick mags. Thought about using endo mags, but want to stay with stick mags for quick recognition when noobs go shooting with me.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:07 PM
Proud Crusader

Thanked 6,030 Times in 1,434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post

Me too!And I'm an AK74 man!
Old 09-14-2019, 04:52 PM
Trapper

UPDATE-- got a 16" upper from CBC industries and put it on a PSA lower. Everything mated up nicely with no issues. Used a ProMag magazine well insert and ASC 32 round stick magazines. Optic is a Vortex Spitfire 3x.

Fired 200 rounds, 100 factory 115gr Winchester and 100 125gr lead round nose reloads. Accuracy was excellent either load. Reliability was almost as good with 8 stoppages when using the Winchester factory ammo. No issues with my reloads. All 8 stoppages came towards the end of shooting session when the gun was dirty. Odd thing is my wife had 6 of the stoppages. She loves her new gun.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 07:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,881 Posts

Just buy a kel-tec sub-2000 to match the 9mm you're carrying.