Learning Eperience - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reclaiming Institutions of Higher Learning RichardinColorado General Discussion 19 12-04-2018 09:42 PM
Preppers: Learning to Process and Cook Wild Game AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-15-2018 07:30 AM
Four Tips On Learning Navigational Skills AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-12-2018 10:30 AM
Prepping is a learning game kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 11-21-2017 07:31 PM
Any resource recommendations for learning about cybersecurity, dark web, privacy, etc Reason The Tech Zone 4 01-23-2017 07:42 PM

Old 08-11-2019, 06:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,899 Times in 4,200 Posts

Advertise Here

Even considering hand-to-hand or a knife to fend off a dog is lunacy and is literally the last resort to failed planning and situational awareness.

Having seen the training my son has done with his Belgian Malinois, I guarantee you wouldn't be fast enough to employ a knife or block an attack...it's a freaking 100mph torpedo when it's attacking.

Best defense against a dog is distance or anything used to dissuade a dog's aggression at distance, be that a hiking stick, golf club, pepper spray, umbrella, taser gun/firearm, etc.

I've only be "successfully" attacked by one dog, that was on a leash and lunged from about 5 feet away in a hotel hallway...I still have a scar on my jawline and only a couple inches from my jugular. It happened so fast, there was no defense and if had I had my gun, I likely would have had to use it if the owner wasn't able to get it under control. My fault for "assuming" no threat and poor situational awareness, but it goes to show that anyone who thinks they're taking on a 100+pound, aggressive dog with their hands or even with a knife are clueless as to the potential threat. Even if you "survive" the encounter, you will likely be maimed or losing blood severely...

ROCK6
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 09:19 AM
Prepared

Attacked only 1 time here. Rock6 is correct in saying that the attack happens too fast. A German Shepherd came around the corner about 10' away the only chance I had was to feed him my left arm to protect my face. When we went to the ground I used a Benchmade Griptilian (which fortunately can be opened with 1 hand) to punch a couple of holes in the throat area which caused his retreat and ultimately his death. 30 sutures, 4 injections and pills to combat the infection was not a pleasant experience. Owner was irate said he was a good boy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S Roche For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 05:17 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,482 Times in 3,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Roche View Post
Attacked only 1 time here. Rock6 is correct in saying that the attack happens too fast. A German Shepherd came around the corner about 10' away the only chance I had was to feed him my left arm to protect my face. When we went to the ground I used a Benchmade Griptilian (which fortunately can be opened with 1 hand) to punch a couple of holes in the throat area which caused his retreat and ultimately his death. 30 sutures, 4 injections and pills to combat the infection was not a pleasant experience. Owner was irate said he was a good boy.
Unfortunately you didn't have the h2h training sol warrior does.

Glad to see you're still with us. Sounds painful.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Unfortunately you didn't have the h2h training sol warrior does.

Glad to see you're still with us. Sounds painful.

No H2H. Just basic back in the late 60's. Would have been handy. Too old to learn now.
The Following User Says Thank You to S Roche For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 11:43 PM

The information posted here concerning the speed and force of an attack by a medium to large-sized aggressive dog cannot be overstated by anyone having experienced such an onslaught. To be able to fend off, stab, or shoot such an animal to halt the attack is a fortunate circumstance indeed, no matter the level of training or having a weapon at hand. Most animal attacks end when either the animal chooses to disengage on its own, or another person jumps in to assist the victim.
Anything from using your fingernails, teeth, knife, bat, spear, or a bazooka is fair play against an aggressive dog. You just do the best you can and that’s all you can do.
We have several vicious dogs in the neighborhood that wife and I walk around in occasionally.
I carry my k-40 and a collapsible, steel walking stick that has a removable rubber tip that conceals a 2” steel spike meant for walking on ice. I have used the stick to stop a rushing dog in its tracks. They don’t like the stick pointed in their face. Further it is possible to shove the spike into the dog from almost any angle and use the force of your body weight to shove the animal to the ground, even pin it there with your boot on its neck. It is the best defense I have found yet to deal with a head-on attack and keep the animal from advancing. Only had to use it once.
I find the small dogs are the worst. They move fast, bite hard, and are just about impossible to kick or stomp on. The spike works well to keep them from getting in close enough to bite. They seem to be smarter than the big dogs at spotting the spike.
No hero stuff or magical moves involved on my part...just trying to keep the biters away. I also have a 3” steel, three-bladed trident that attaches to a hickory pole. I take it when there are some really nasty dogs and their “owners” about.
P.S. to all you vets on here that post information here based on your real-world experiences , acquired in real-world places , under real-world threats and needs...I thank all of you for your service and your knowledgeable contributions!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThunderStryke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 12:43 AM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,482 Times in 3,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Roche View Post
No H2H. Just basic back in the late 60's. Would have been handy. Too old to learn now.
Thank you for your service

The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 11:51 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

I always have a walking stick when I go hiking around. a 6ft piece of hardwood works wonders on dogs...