Learning Eperience - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reclaiming Institutions of Higher Learning RichardinColorado General Discussion 19 12-04-2018 09:42 PM
Preppers: Learning to Process and Cook Wild Game AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-15-2018 07:30 AM
Four Tips On Learning Navigational Skills AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-12-2018 10:30 AM
Prepping is a learning game kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 11-21-2017 07:31 PM
Any resource recommendations for learning about cybersecurity, dark web, privacy, etc Reason The Tech Zone 4 01-23-2017 07:42 PM

Old 05-02-2019, 10:02 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,923 Times in 790 Posts
Default Learning Eperience

Advertise Here

Ok, so I'm walking in the morning to pick up a rental car, took a shortcut through forested area away from the very busy street. I've been through there before. Nice quiet place despite being in the city.
I'm walking the trail and notice ahead a blue tarp hanging from a tree off to side, homeless shelter obviously, no big deal.
And...a big pit bulldog laying right in the middle of my path.I
I stop and look at dog, dog looks at me. I speak gently, assessing dogs disposition. Did jumps up and comes at barking and snarling.
I shout and snarl back. Doggie stops about 8 feet from me.
I begin backing up slowly. I get far enough away to feel safe turning and all OK.
Mistake 1, I did not being my pistol. Maybe a good thing as in retrospect I did not wish to shoot the dog, but would have, being angry.
The real fault lay with the dogs owner.
But my carry pistol is a Ruger LCP. Double action only. .380.
Now with that pistol I can hit easy an 8 inch square at that distance, but not a coke can every time.
And if I just grazed that animal, sure I'd have follow up shots, but at an aggressive fast charging beast?
A shotgun with buckshot would be nice.
And a pistol with a single action capability would have worked, even a 2" barrel i could have nailed the standing dog with my first shot.
Just some thoughts.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 08:19 PM
Target Shooter

Bear spray would of been entertaining, not on the dog but it's owner.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FortunateSon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 10:12 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 41,220 Times in 9,757 Posts

An umbrella works great!

Open it on an approaching dog, it generally scares them off

If not, stab them with it, then beat them silly.....

I always used a 357 on feral dogs, it worked quite well, a 380 I'm sure would take multiple shots to put a mean dog down

Forget about shot placement in a dog situation, holes count for a lot!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 08:11 AM

With everything going on and all the unknowns I have been making it a point to make sure I carry everywhere I go. You just never know.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ecardenas113 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 10:40 AM
Trapper

I channel my inner Cesar Milan and become the alpha to show the dog who's boss.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thebrookdweller For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 12:18 PM
Trapper

It is a hard thing to do shooting a dog charging at you. Plus like said above .380 isn't the best thing for animals. Smallest I carry is a 9mm. I got a Kel-Tec p11 10+1 in DA only and that is the smallest gun I will carry.
Mace seems like a good idea in theory but a gust of wind can quickly change your mind. Or having it throw back at you. Or to small of an area and everyone gets hit( I have had this happen by accident with a customer in a small room, we all had to leave)
The Following User Says Thank You to Lost Woods Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 11:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,361 Times in 834 Posts

Hiking stick or cane usually helps.

Or a handy rock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xstuntman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 11:35 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,320 Times in 8,796 Posts

Navy SEALs in Viet Nam used a silenced 9 mm S&W pistol to put down sentry dogs. They called that firearm a "Hush Puppy." Look it up on google. It proved effective.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 07:49 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,277 Times in 692 Posts

I have an LCP. Your going to have to let that dog get to within 15ft of you to even hit it. Just by the looks of the dog dosnt mean you should shoot.

If you run at most dogs yelling they will see that your not afraid of them and usualy take off. If not start kicking in the ribs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,732 Times in 560 Posts

I have found with several past experiences, that knowing basic karate kicks is very helpful in fending off an attacking dog. On the other hand I have encountered some dogs so dangerous that the only thing that could save you is a hand gun. Some dogs are just vicious and dangerous. Normally I do not carry concealed, however, when I walk my dog through our surrounding neighborhoods, I make sure I have either a 9mm or a .38 with me, as well as mace and a small folding blade. I will never forget those vicious dogs that I have encountered in the past. Once as a kid, I was attacked and severely bitten by a neighbors dog. Dog attacks are very common in the U.S. and recently I heard that up to 40 people a year are killed by dogs.
The Following User Says Thank You to makobytes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 03:23 PM

I know most around here rely on guns for most situations. I don't know if it's fear or an inability to defend themselves without one. If I were you I'd carry a quick opening knife. I carry a Kershaw assisted opening for situations just like yours. Plus, knives are quiet.
The Following User Says Thank You to SolWarrior For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 07:53 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,073 Times in 3,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolWarrior View Post
I know most around here rely on guns for most situations. I don't know if it's fear or an inability to defend themselves without one. If I were you I'd carry a quick opening knife. I carry a Kershaw assisted opening for situations just like yours. Plus, knives are quiet.
And exactly how many times have you had to use that knife to defend yourself from a dog attack?

With a knife you have basically lowered yourself to the dog's level. In that while you are busy stabbing dog multiple times to try to kill it, the dog is busy tearing you up with his teeth. It's a race to see who kills who first and he is MUCH more experienced then you are at that type of fighting.

A pistol is much more effective at dealing with an attacking animal. Especially if you run into a PACK instead of just one.

Word of advice to any one going the knife route. When dog gets on you shove your arm fist first into its mouth and push as hard as you can into its throat. Do not simply stick your forearm across its open mouth. In the former the dog can't get a good bite and is being choked, while in the later it is chewing away on an apendage with some major arteries.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 07-30-2019 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: punctuation
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 09:51 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,353 Times in 4,315 Posts

Carry a stick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 02:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,699 Times in 792 Posts

I've never had much of a problem with noisy dogs. The sneaky ones are another matter. Sounds like it staked out it's territory and didn't want anyone in there. That's what they do. Probably taking a nap and dreaming of the rabbit that got away when you woke it up.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:02 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,095 Times in 320 Posts

Quote:
You do NOT want go one-on-one with a dag armed with a knife.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:51 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,808 Posts

Quote:
I know most around here rely on guns for most situations. I don't know if it's fear or an inability to defend themselves without one.
What, everyone doesn't go to anti-dog defense classes?

We get it, you disapprove of the peasants being allowed to arm themselves.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
And exactly how many times have you had to use that knife to defend yourself from a dog attack?

With a knife you have basically lowered yourself to the dog's level In that while you are busy stabbing dog multiple times to try to kill it, the dog is busy tearing you up with his teeth. It's a race to see who kills who first and he is MUCH more experienced then you are at that type of fighting.

A pistol is much more effective at dealing with an attacking animal. Especially if you run into a PACK instead of just one.

Word of advice to any one going the knife route. When dog gets on you shove your arm fist first into its mouth and push as hard as you can into its throat. Do not simply stick your forearm across its open mouth. In the former the dog can't get a good bite and is being choked, while in the later it is chewing away on an apendage with some major arteries.
Zero. I don't go around looking to fight dogs but, I did buy the knife mentioned to protect myself against a pitbull that tore into 27 people. Having instincts and a realistic disposition about a dog attack helps. What the OP did in his situation was a good example of that. You on the other hand must imagine using a butter knife or don't know how or where to stab with a knife to save your life.

I prefer learning from other people's mistakes and successes as well as my own.

In the 1940s my dad was a young man. One night after midnight he was walking home and took a shorter route through a bad neighborhood. He had a habit of opening his pocketknife and sticking it in his back pocket loosely wrapped in his handkerchief when in imminent danger.

With the blade padded yet knife easy to grab an oversize German shepherd mix came running at him and lunged at his throat/face area. He pulled out his knife and as he blocked the dog's attack with his left forearm he stabbed the dog in the chest. The dog whimpered and fell over, and didn't even get to leave a mark.

Times were tough in the inner city on the worst side of town during the 1940s, and thru the 60s and 70s, when I was growing up. I was born in the projects and every neighborhood had gangs. "Rumbles" for turf were common among adjacent neighborhoods. Bats, chains, knives and guns were used. I never joined gangs. We weren't brought up that way.

I never carried a weapon back then. We used our fists. My dad taught us to box as kids, and to avoid fights if possible but never to cower away. There were reputations to defend and repercussions if you didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazone View Post
What, everyone doesn't go to anti-dog defense classes?

We get it, you disapprove of the peasants being allowed to arm themselves.
Don't worry your pretty lil head. I'm not lobbying to have your toys taken away from you. I have toys of my own. All I'm saying is guns aren't the only option for every situation. We gotta get our hands dirty when possible or risk going soft.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:16 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,073 Times in 3,651 Posts

Quote:
Zero. I don't go around looking to fight dogs but, I did buy the knife mentioned to protect myself against a pitbull that tore into 27 people. Having instincts and a realistic disposition about a dog attack helps. What the OP did in his situation was a good example of that. You on the other hand must imagine using a butter knife or don't know how or where to stab with a knife to save your life.

I prefer learning from other people's mistakes and successes as well as my own.

In the 1940s my dad was a young man. One night after midnight he was walking home and took a shorter route through a bad neighborhood. He had a habit of opening his pocketknife and sticking it in his back pocket loosely wrapped in his handkerchief when in imminent danger.

With the blade padded yet knife easy to grab an oversize German shepherd mix came running at him and lunged at his throat/face area. He pulled out his knife and as he blocked the dog's attack with his left forearm he stabbed the dog in the chest. The dog whimpered and fell over, and didn't even get to leave a mark.

Times were tough in the inner city on the worst side of town during the 1940s, and thru the 60s and 70s, when I was growing up. I was born in the projects and every neighborhood had gangs. "Rumbles" for turf were common among adjacent neighborhoods. Bats, chains, knives and guns were used. I never joined gangs. We weren't brought up that way.

I never carried a weapon back then. We used our fists. My dad taught us to box as kids, and to avoid fights if possible but never to cower away. There were reputations to defend and repercussions if you didn't.
Your dad got LUCKY and pretty much the rest of your post is irrelevant to the subject at hand, Mr Internet Bad Ass.

A woman once killed a world record grizzly with her .22LR rifle but doing so again is not something I would bet my life on. 1953 World Record Grizzly Killed with .22 Rifle

You would actually be better served with a stun gun as no matter where you apply it the result will be the same. Unlike a knife that HAS to hit something vital to be effective. A determined dog can still kill you even as its bleeding out from multiple non-vital stabs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 12:54 AM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,324 Posts

Quote:

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Your dad got LUCKY and pretty much the rest of your post is irrelevant to the subject at hand, Mr Internet Bad Ass.

A woman once killed a world record grizzly with her .22LR rifle but doing so again is not something I would bet my life on. 1953 World Record Grizzly Killed with .22 Rifle

You would actually be better served with a stun gun as no matter where you apply it the result will be the same. Unlike a knife that HAS to hit something vital to be effective. A determined dog can still kill you even as its bleeding out from multiple non-vital stabs.

The topic is not about grizzlies or werewolves. It's about a dog. One good stab will make any attacking dog whimper and stumble off or fall over.

It probably won't sway you much but, the purpose of my rambling was to point out that firsthand experience with conflicts in general matters. It's where "lucky" comes from.

A stun gun is not a bad idea, but too bulky for edc.