Cats, Rats, & Jackrabbits - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cats brought me a new present cook Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 27 03-11-2019 06:49 PM
God's purpose for cats. Basic Human Unit Religious Discussion 16 01-27-2019 04:36 PM
Will the World?s Most Bitter Chemical Repel Rats? AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-27-2018 03:30 PM
Do cats travel well? sixtus General Discussion 47 11-04-2017 05:02 PM

Old 04-08-2019, 11:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,317 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
I tried signing up for nextdoor.com, but they don't have any other houses in the neighborhood on it. I'm quite a ways out of town.

The cat has an appointment to be spayed or neutered on May 8th. They do feral cat spays so cheaply that they get booked up way in advance. They should also be able to check for a chip. They said to feed it so it doesn't become weak, and it'll still keep killing rats, so today I bought a bag of cat food. Any truth to that? Will it still keep up the rodent control if it's fed?

Maybe I ought to call the thing Boomer, because it's not entitled and works hard for a living. (As in baby boomer.)

I'm still adjusting to the thought of living around one cat. Not sure I want to go for two at the moment. And the spay/neuter clinic people said they do 2500 spays/neuters a year and have never seen anyone upset because someone spayed or neutered their cat. We talked about its behavior a while, and the lady said she doesn't think it has a home.
There was a delay for me to sign up due the number of people in my neighborhood versus those that signed up. They also kept changing the boundaries and now there are enough. I think they want 10% or was it 10 households. Nextdoor seems to chose or anyway has locals that help set these districts up.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 12:03 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAde2 View Post
Remember a well-fed Cat will be able to Kill more. They need the strength to Be the control you want.
Yes the Healthier they are they better-killing machines they will become.
'
I gave mine enough to sustain her and expect her to make up the difference. Does not stop her from demanding more food or I guess attention by scratching on the backdoor that drives one of the dogs crazy when she hears the noise, even though she knows full well what it is. She often does not finish her food and still demands more. Maybe she wants it fresher.
When she finally gets old I will have to get a new cat and get the dogs to accept it.
The dogs will kill a stray cat on sight. Probably would also kill another dog also.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 07:19 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,947 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
'
I gave mine enough to sustain her and expect her to make up the difference.
Same here. We learned if we fed her too much she wouldn't go after mice. So we put down about a half cup of dry food each morning.
By late morning/midday she's out hunting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 09:50 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,052 Posts

Make sure the cat has access to water. They do not always drink enough for their own good. I have a number of well fed cats that all hunt except for the 19 year old guy. My experience is the most voracious hunters are usually females. I have had a female that would kill weasels.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Prepared

I don't know where the cat has been finding water so far. This is the desert, and there aren't any wet spots on the ground. I'll stop at a store today and get some sort of water dish for it. *sigh* Nobody who knows me would believe I'm doing anything for a CAT. I'm trying to think of it as an employee. I allow it living space, and it kills pests. I just hope it doesn't go after the two doves.

The food I picked up is Open Nature salmon recipe, because the spay/neuter people said that fish works best for trapping cats, and that thing will have to get used to eating in and going into the trap so that when it comes time for the spay/neuter, there won't be a problem trapping it. Maybe I'll add water to the food and let it get mushy.

It's not a very large cat. I'm surprised it's taking on young rats and probably baby jackrabbits (Haven't looked under that building yet--not sure I want to.)

I use extra long fireplace tongs to get rid of cat gifts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 10:56 AM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 22,683 Times in 6,480 Posts
Default CAW

Quote:
I don't know where the cat has been finding water so far. This is the desert, and there aren't any wet spots on the ground. I'll stop at a store today and get some sort of water dish for it. *sigh* Nobody who knows me would believe I'm doing anything for a CAT. I'm trying to think of it as an employee. I allow it living space, and it kills pests. I just hope it doesn't go after the two doves.

The food I picked up is Open Nature salmon recipe, because the spay/neuter people said that fish works best for trapping cats, and that thing will have to get used to eating in and going into the trap so that when it comes time for the spay/neuter, there won't be a problem trapping it. Maybe I'll add water to the food and let it get mushy.

It's not a very large cat. I'm surprised it's taking on young rats and probably baby jackrabbits (Haven't looked under that building yet--not sure I want to.)

hahahahahaha
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 10:59 AM
Prepared

OK, I just checked under the building. Something took a few pieces of cloth and made a nest, and then I heard meowing. The cat was on the roof and rubbing its face against the edges of the roof. (There's a tree against the side of the building. It would be an easy climb for a cat.) I set some cat food on a cinder block next to the building while the cat watched. If it's still there when I leave for work, I'll remove it so the rats won't get it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 11:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,542 Times in 1,578 Posts

Quote:

The fish will also bring in skunks, so if you have any around be prepared when you check your trap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 01:01 PM
VIP Member

Quote:

Lol, getting sucked in. Welcome to the world of cats.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 09:23 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,052 Posts

Right now the cat is getting most of its moisture from the kills. Dry catfood is dry! If that kitty was rubbing on the corner or the roof it was scenting and saying 'hi'. I hope the nest was not the cats!! Uh-oh....
A cat's bite is supposed to be fatal to rabbits. A bacterium that is commonly found in the cat's mouth is fatal, eventually, to rabbits. At least that is what a wildlife rehabilitator told me and I believe I confirmed it by looking it up. Now maybe jackrabbits are different than cotton tails but, just having an added predator should help drive them out.
Heh, I think the cats that have killed snakes have endeared my dh to them greatly. He despises snakes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Survivor

Quote:

I have small cat that killed some sort of woods rat that was certainly the size of the standard brown rat. It was bitten behind the neck and I found it dead on the porch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 10:38 PM
Prepared

Something (hopefully the cat) ate the little bit of food that I left out for it yesterday. This morning I set food and water out for it, but this time I soaked the kibble first. The cat has not touched it. Maybe it doesn't like the shiny metal bowls that I used this morning? Surely a feral wouldn't be persnickety about food?

The nest was empty. From the looks of that cat, I'm guessing it's still pretty young. It's small and doesn't look fully grown. Or maybe that's from not being fed by people? Whatever, that thing is a deranged killer cat that will take on things over a third of its size. Biting things on the neck seems to be this cat's MO, too.

If a cat bite can take care of the jackrabbits, that's fine by me. The cat seems to be spending a fair amount of time under the building where the rabbits are, but I haven't seen a rabbit near that building for the last two days. Adult jackrabbits are definitely bigger than the cat, so I hope the rabbits don't get tired of the cat's harassment and decide to take on.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:40 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,511 Times in 5,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
I have small cat that killed some sort of woods rat that was certainly the size of the standard brown rat. It was bitten behind the neck and I found it dead on the porch.
One of my cats kills packrats. Not sure which cat, I think the big Russian Blue that we adopted as a stray.

If people don't know what packrats are, here is one my Jack Russell helped me catch.

It's probably a good thing I played in the dirt a lot as a kid, otherwise I might have died from some kind of infection by now, doing stuff like catching packrats with my bare hands.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 09:04 AM
Prepared

This morning while I was making coffee, the cat was outside the window watching me and meowing. It's coming too close too fast to be 100% feral, IMO.

I'm hoping to get chickens once the chicken coop is fixed up, either this year or next year, and have a killer cat that seems to think it has a home here.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
This morning while I was making coffee, the cat was outside the window watching me and meowing. It's coming too close too fast to be 100% feral, IMO.

I'm hoping to get chickens once the chicken coop is fixed up, either this year or next year, and have a killer cat that seems to think it has a home here.
Our feral cat did exactly the same thing and in fact still does it every single morning since. We too used to think maybe it had a previous owner but never figured out for sure. I guess we will never truly know.

I'm starting my coop setup today and once I get chickens I'll update on how my feral cat reacts. I have no idea what to expect at the moment. Will it attack and constantly harass the chickens? Will it get used to them and be OK? I guess I'll find out soon enough.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 09:36 AM
gard'ner

Occasionally I catch rabbits and armadillo by placing the trap in the trails that everybody uses to get around in the garden... Or under the fence...

Baits don't work for those varmints.

I have caught rats and mice using carrots as bait.

Raccoons can be difficult.
They are often smart enough to raid the trap without springing it...
In which case, I wrap an egg in chicken wire and tie it down... Sometimes... They still rob the trap!

Too many people trap their pests and relocate.

Cats are generally not especially interested in eggs that haven't been opened... Or carrots...

I have rabbit catching cats... But... I dunno bout them jackrabbits... Reckon they'd try... They certainly take an interest when deer come in the yard...

Re chickens...

I just got a bunch of biddies... Set up a chair near the chicken tractor... Threw little sticks and like when cats went near the babies... They lost interest really quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to st0n3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 11:10 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Just leave the cat alone. If he/she wants to be your friend, be cordial. You don't have to do anything out of the ordinary, just let it do it's thing. Or, favor for favor. Every time it gifts you with a mouse/rat, gift it with a cat treat. A symbiotic relationship if you will...

Win/Win
Old 04-12-2019, 03:38 PM
Prepared

I just got home. The cat meowed at me, stretched, then came over and kept rubbing itself against me. Then it tried to follow me into the house. It's probably safe to say it's not feral. I put out the word in case somebody's missing a cat.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 10:08 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 22,683 Times in 6,480 Posts
Default CAW

Quote:
I just got home. The cat meowed at me, stretched, then came over and kept rubbing itself against me. Then it tried to follow me into the house. It's probably safe to say it's not feral. I put out the word in case somebody's missing a cat.
Its a keeper

Never had a cat bother the chickens, mr roo scared them I rekon....

ymmv of course
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 10:55 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,511 Times in 5,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1d View Post
Never had a cat bother the chickens
Me neither. Seems like they would. I guess it's not enough of a challenge for them. Cat's want some effort to be involved, maybe, and there's no effort involved in killing chickens.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post: