Cats, Rats, & Jackrabbits - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cats brought me a new present cook Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 27 03-11-2019 06:49 PM
God's purpose for cats. Basic Human Unit Religious Discussion 16 01-27-2019 04:36 PM
Will the World?s Most Bitter Chemical Repel Rats? AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-27-2018 03:30 PM
Do cats travel well? sixtus General Discussion 47 11-04-2017 05:02 PM

Old 04-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Default Cats, Rats, & Jackrabbits

Advertise Here

OK, I’ll say it--it’s 50/50 which I detest more, cats or rats. I adore dogs. When I moved into this place it had been vacant for a while, so it had rats. They’re still around, but not as bad. A couple weeks ago, I had the heck scared out of me (I've been having trouble on and off with a stalker) when this cat jumps off my porch at night, nearly lands on my head, and heads for the hills. Or the mesas, whatever. Scared the heck out of me.

Anyway, the thing seems to have decided it’s going to stay here and it’s started killing rats. This morning I found a juvenile rat carcass near my front door. I was debating about trapping the cat, but now it’s a matter of numbers. One cat vs. numerous rats--sometimes you just have to deal with the lesser of two evils, and less rats means less rattlesnakes. Hopefully the thing is a male. If it breeds, it leaves. And if it leaves, I might just look for a good rat killing terrier. So now the cat and I are in detente.

Jackrabbits have taken up residence under another building, and rabbits can be really destructive. I don’t want them chewing through the electrical wiring, and plan to use a humane trap. So now the question is, how to trap the jackrabbits while allowing the cat to remain untrapped for the time being? Are there certain baits that will attract rabbits that the cat won’t be interested in? Or will the cat go into the trap because cats do things like that and like enclosed spaces? The thing seems to be feral.

Please stay off the schmoozy-woozy fluffy-wuffy puddy-tat stuff. What I’d really like to know is what bait to use to trap the jackrabbits and not the cat, or other ideas for getting rid of the rabbits. I won’t use poisons because of my dogs. Thanks in advance. I’ll check this thread later today.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,045 Times in 452 Posts

just let the cat out of the live trap if it gets caught.. catch it once and prolly never again
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wldrbob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 11:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,506 Times in 1,568 Posts

You should be able to bait the rabbits with most vegetables. The cat will leave the vegetables alone. Start with lettuce or carrots, or any greens you have should work.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,024 Times in 941 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

or apples,,maybe corn [like feed corn]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilderness bushman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 11:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 23,198 Times in 8,090 Posts

I'd go with fruit.

I had a possum problem last year and got a live trap. Idiot cats kept going in it. One cat, twice. One cat did not go in at all.

If the cat can get access, it will take care of your rabbit problem. Bubba brought me a live rabbit one time.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,210 Posts

trap near some shrubs/foliage where you have seen them.

a bit of sliced apple, or "new and different" from what is in the yard so it stands out to draw interest. Plant based should not attract the feline.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 11:55 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,652 Times in 20,427 Posts

I doubt a cat could take a jackrabbit.

Saw one so big in my driveway last year, you could put a saddle on it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 12:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,554 Times in 6,352 Posts

the cat will kill the kits in the nest. you could smoke the adults out then close up the access. or find someone with a coursing hound or ferrets.
cat will get some of the rats the rest will get smart, use rat traps baited with peanut butter. one of the most edifying nights I spent was over a spilled bag of doritos with a 22 revolver with ratshot. dozed and woke up when I heard them snacking spotlight the rats with a flashlight pop a couple. wash rinse repeat.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,041 Posts

Rat traps will get dogs and cats. Many looove peanut butter. Cover the traps, if used. A cat that is going after rats is worth its weight in gold. A well cared for cat does not stink, reproduce, chew wires, tunnel under foundations, chew through walls, spread numerous zoonotic dieseases, etc. Yeah, I hate rats. Rats will also eat eggs and I have heard they will go after baby chicks
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,312 Posts

I am not a cat lover, but I do have one that lives on my porch and it does kill rats if it can reach them. The dogs are much more expensive to keep around and more destructive. One of the many benefits of the dogs is that they do protect the cat, even if they bully the cat and push it around. They also rob the cat of her kills. Bully in this case is sort of a play on words since the dogs are of the bully type.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,554 Times in 6,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat wrangler View Post
Rat traps will get dogs and cats. Many looove peanut butter. Cover the traps, if used. A cat that is going after rats is worth its weight in gold. A well cared for cat does not stink, reproduce, chew wires, tunnel under foundations, chew through walls, spread numerous zoonotic dieseases, etc. Yeah, I hate rats. Rats will also eat eggs and I have heard they will go after baby chicks
Never knew a cat to burrow or chew through walls
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 02:24 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,509 Times in 5,593 Posts

I agree, having a feral cat around makes more sense than getting and feeding a dog to do it. You don't even have to feed the cat, so why is it a problem? You have a symbiotic relationship, and that's always a good thing.

For rat traps, you can use a bucket trap with a good plank. The good thing about them is you can kill more than one rat without resetting it. They fall in the bucket and eventually drown, and the plank resets itself for the next victim.

I got one like this on ebay and it works GREAT! I got 7 mice the first night I set it out, using a little peanut butter on the end of the plank.

Fill up the bucket with enough water so the rats can't keep their head above water, they will swim around till they get tired and then drown (sounds cruel but **** it, I say. I'd rather drown than be disemboweled by a cat or dog), but not so much that the cat can't get out, if it for some weird reason falls in.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 07:40 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 22,682 Times in 6,480 Posts
Default CAW

plink em with a 22....

good eating

ymmv
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 08:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,203 Times in 5,723 Posts

Rats are the worst .
I have chickens ,and the rats come from the horse property next to mine.
I have 2 wild cats that will kill a chicken if I'm careless with closing them up at night . but I don't kill the cats because they do keep the rat population in check .
I had some ground squirrels steeling eggs rolling them through the chain link fence ,and I tried all kinds of things and they got smarter each time so I took a few eggs and left them to rot then placed them so it was easy to steal , that was the last of the ground squirrels. not one has shone up since .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 08:12 PM

Thanked 5,922 Times in 1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
I doubt a cat could take a jackrabbit.

Saw one so big in my driveway last year, you could put a saddle on it.
Did it look like this one?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bob3rd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 09:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
Never knew a cat to burrow or chew through walls
Neither have I, that is why it was on the list of never known a well cared for cat to do.....
:D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 10:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,089 Times in 998 Posts

If you should happen to catch the cat in the live trap [used for the jackrabbits], don't let it go until you are sure it is male. You want to take a female to the vet to get her fixed and her shots. For that matter, do the same with a male. It will keep him closer to 'home'. Make sure you have a vet who will handle ferals set up ahead of time. [And don't set up the trap on Friday night or Sat night; as the vet is probably closed.]

Kill traps for rats. Get a piece of pvc pipe that the cat can't fit into. Set up the kill trap with peanut butter, chicken feed, a bit of bread, they fall for everything; set it in the pipe, tilt the pipe until the trap is in the middle. You might want to tie a string to the trap and tie that to something should something drag it off [raccoons and possums are the main suspects in FLA] but even other rats will do it.

Question: do rodentia carry the plague in your area?

Those nice plastic traps are great if you want to just fling the body anywhere without touching it; squeeze the spring mechanism down and the rat/mouse drops. [or in the trash]. They are easier to set to.

But if you worry about fleas, those old wooden ones [with a string] might be your choice -- cheap and you can toss it in the trash.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Florida Jean For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 10:52 PM

Unfortunately, bubonic plague is endemic to this area. It's not a large threat, but it is there. I don't want to be a cat owner. The reason for not wanting the cat to get trapped is that if it does breed, I'll want to trap it and take it to the pound or wherever they'll take it, and I don't want it to get trap-wise. The dogs are far too big to get caught in the trap.

Bob, please tell your friend in that picture that if she needs a few more steeds like the one she's riding, she can just come on over to my ranch and I'll give her all she wants. All she has to do is trap them and take them away.

The cat is back. It's on the back porch. I really wish it would take its kills out in the pasture somewhere instead of leaving them for me to find. It's a brown tabby with white lower legs and feet. I'm not sure I'd want to spay or neuter the thing, because then I'd be the owner and responsible for it.

Sending greyhounds in after those rabbits would probably be fun. Just wish I knew someone who has a few of those dogs. My dogs don't like the jackrabbits or the cat.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 11:06 PM

Thanked 5,922 Times in 1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
Unfortunately, bubonic plague is endemic to this area. It's not a large threat, but it is there. I don't want to be a cat owner. The reason for not wanting the cat to get trapped is that if it does breed, I'll want to trap it and take it to the pound or wherever they'll take it, and I don't want it to get trap-wise. The dogs are far too big to get caught in the trap.

Bob, please tell your friend in that picture that if she needs a few more steeds like the one she's riding, she can just come on over to my ranch and I'll give her all she wants. All she has to do is trap them and take them away.

The cat is back. It's on the back porch. I really wish it would take its kills out in the pasture somewhere instead of leaving them for me to find. It's a brown tabby with white lower legs and feet. I'm not sure I'd want to spay or neuter the thing, because then I'd be the owner and responsible for it.

Sending greyhounds in after those rabbits would probably be fun. Just wish I knew someone who has a few of those dogs. My dogs don't like the jackrabbits or the cat.
LOL I'll tell her but I think she has her hands full with that one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob3rd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 11:27 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,509 Times in 5,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
I'm not sure I'd want to spay or neuter the thing, because then I'd be the owner and responsible for it.
Check the SPCA. Around here, they will spay or neuter stray cats for free or very low cost, with the understanding that you will then let them go free where you found it. It's called Catch and Release or something like that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post: