cell phones ? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are cell phones really that insecure.....?? 6.8SPC General Discussion 43 10-21-2019 01:46 AM
Polite vs. Cell Phones PalmettoTree General Discussion 22 12-04-2017 10:53 AM

Old 01-17-2019, 06:12 AM
SI vis pacem,para bellum

Default cell phones ?

Advertise Here

Can a cell phone be tapped, like a landline phone? Any one know how if that, can be done ?

I don't know, if this is in the right spot .
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to surfcast For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 07:13 AM
Prepared

Thanked 1,048 Times in 302 Posts

"They" already listen to us through our smart phones. Not paranoia, its happened too many times to be coincidences to prove "they" do. Wife and I have had many conversations where the subject of said discussions have shown up on social media, amazon recommendations and pinterest just from the conversations and sans any internet search or discussion. Only from person to person discussions. It happens on a regular basis. Our phones being the only thing other than us present. Just another reason I'll not get any devices like amazon alexa or dot. No need to give "them" another means to keep tabs on us.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Traveler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,353 Times in 4,315 Posts

Yes.

Extremely yes.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019, 07:30 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 16,710 Times in 3,551 Posts

There is nothing secure about a cell phone conversation. Anyone with the right equipment can listen to those conversations.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,077 Times in 945 Posts

If you ever have your phone closed, screen off and no apps going, and your phone is above ambient temps, it’s likely someone is using your phone to listen or track you because it uses more power and generates heat. I have had this happen. I turned my phone off. It was turned back on and the person who called claimed that my number was a “government “ number. I tried to change phones and carriers and numbers later and was refused because it was listed as a government owned number. That was with a Nextel back about 2004-5. I’m sure things have progressed since then.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,928 Times in 1,720 Posts

"Rat Phones" have been used by LE for decades. ANY phone can be hacked.

The only way to have your phone secure is to pull BOTH the battery AND the SIM card.

That's why OC and terrorists are going back to old school tradecraft.

Primitive methods can be secure. Dead drops, one-time pads, edible flash paper.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Geezer In Training

Thanked 1,955 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
"They" already listen to us through our smart phones. Not paranoia, its happened too many times to be coincidences to prove "they" do. Wife and I have had many conversations where the subject of said discussions have shown up on social media, amazon recommendations and pinterest just from the conversations and sans any internet search or discussion. Only from person to person discussions. It happens on a regular basis. Our phones being the only thing other than us present. Just another reason I'll not get any devices like amazon alexa or dot. No need to give "them" another means to keep tabs on us.

My wife and I have noticed the same thing!
And we have tested this theory with small conversations where she and I and the cell phones were the only things present in the room... It's happened WAY TOO MANY times to be coincidence!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OKGlocker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 12:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,030 Times in 4,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcast View Post
Can a cell phone be tapped, like a landline phone? Any one know how if that, can be done ?

Yes. The law requires cell phones and other devices to be capable of having traffic intercepted and routed to government agencies. I've designed that into cable, telco, and other systems to meet that requirement.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 12:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,030 Times in 4,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
That capability exists with your smartphone but I'm not aware of any business tapping into your phone conversations or using the smartphone to listen in on you without invoking Alexa, etc. More likely your "cookies" are being tracked and they reflect your lifestyle. Internet providers, including your phone company, do watch your data traffic and sometimes intercept data. But not phone traffic.

When "tapping" our phone the government intercepts the traffic within the network. Your phone doesn't "know" you are being tapped. Thus battery life etc aren't affected.

I assume everything I say on a cellular network is recorded on a government system.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Prepared

Not sure if this is what you mean, there are apps that 1 party can record the conversation without the other one knowing. Not sure if you can install and run it on a phone without either knowing. If you could hide the running app you could record all calls from that phone and upload to the "big beautiful cloud".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zebra007 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 04:30 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,304 Times in 13,084 Posts

By their very nature all cell phones are "tapped". Kelly Anne Conway would like to remind you, so is your microwave.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 04:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,173 Times in 6,648 Posts

I got a notification on my phone that Instagram wanted me to see what they had trending. It happen to be Batman and my friends name. My friend has a very odd name that I had never heard until I met him.

I also dont have an Instagram account.

Your phone is listening.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 06:20 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,511 Times in 5,593 Posts

If you mean voice transmissions:

It's not as easy as it used to be, and probably not as easy as people think it is to listen in. Before they went digital you could literally listen to a cell phone conversation with a cheap scanner. (You can still do that with cordless landline phones)

Now they're digital transmissions, and they have some basic level of encryption and I'm not sure what type. So regular folks can't spy. I mean you can hear it with a digital scanner but it will be beeps and noises.

Not sure how you would get the equipment to decrypt it, but I'm sure its out there on the black market somewhere. Would be illegal to possess for everyone except Big Brother.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 08:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,401 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:

Look up 'cloned phones'.
The Following User Says Thank You to JLW1974 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 11:18 PM
SI vis pacem,para bellum

Default ///////

well no trusting cell phones !
The Following User Says Thank You to surfcast For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 12:33 AM

My brother-in-law was a high end IT guy for one of the major telecomms, he just retired. His response to "can cell phones be tapped / monitored / etc." has always been a hearty laugh followed by "of course they can". He said he did not do that because he never cared to, but then he'd lay out how technically easy it is to do. There you go.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZippyTheWonderPig For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 06:07 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
If you mean voice transmissions:

It's not as easy as it used to be, and probably not as easy as people think it is to listen in. Before they went digital you could literally listen to a cell phone conversation with a cheap scanner. (You can still do that with cordless landline phones)

Now they're digital transmissions, and they have some basic level of encryption and I'm not sure what type. So regular folks can't spy. I mean you can hear it with a digital scanner but it will be beeps and noises.

Not sure how you would get the equipment to decrypt it, but I'm sure its out there on the black market somewhere. Would be illegal to possess for everyone except Big Brother.
Phones can be tapped by " man in the middle" using a Stingray device. Many local police agencies have them and that is enough to suspect that it can be done at local level if you are running for police chief or mayor, you should worry.

At a federal level, Stingray is used along with wiretaps directly into the cellphone network. All this requires a warrant to be admissible evidence. However the concept of parallel construction is used to get warrants after the fact.

Bottom line is that if you have any notion that your telephone and internet communications are secure you are naive. Don't even bother with the secure services being offered, they should be seen as suspicious.

You can buy various surplus encryption devices , like surplus land mobile police radios, to work over the airwaves in simplex and off the network. If they are AES256 or DES56, and you are very very careful, you can communicate short range.

But if you are at a political rally or demonstration, it is possible all airwaves can be recorded for later decryption.

1984 is upon us. Be afraid, very afraid.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 06:12 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote:

It is far easier now than when doing a landline bug that required physical attachment.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 06:31 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,928 Times in 1,720 Posts

I am told that even a STU-3 isn't completely secure if operated other than within a SCIF.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 06:49 PM
Optimist

I'm an old telcom worker. Yes any phone can be tapped. It doesn't require special equipment at the Central Office. Translations in the switch at the CO routes it over a specified trunk in and out (to whom ever you called).

Both sides of the conversation are available. I've "heard" that software on the phone can allow remote activation of your phone.

Best bet is an RF proof container such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-tracking.../dp/B00ITR3KCQ

Test to see if it works by calling your phone. Some older smart phone allow the battery to be removed etc.

On today's networks your conversation isn't encrypted, just digitized.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edward4576 For This Useful Post: