General purpose AR optic - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bushnell Offers New AR Optics gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 07-17-2017 01:13 PM
The 2017 Read The Bible In A Year Thread maintenanceguy Religious Discussion 174 07-05-2017 06:34 PM
Colt LE6920 Question and General AR Thread Israfel Military Weapons Forum 48 11-24-2016 11:06 AM

Old 01-15-2019, 11:02 PM
Is that all?

Default General purpose AR optic

Advertise Here

I have a general purpose AR build, bushmaster lower, 16" Colt SOCOM barrel on colt upper, VLTOR stock, flip up irons. I'm looking for a good optic, preferably something that can be used quickly inside 25m, but reach out and touch at 4-500. I'm torn between the Leupold Mark AR 1x4, Trijicon TR24 1x4 or 1x6, or an ACOG. Any recommendations?
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 11:30 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,745 Times in 712 Posts

I've got a 3 Primary Arms prism scope on my PTR-91 and it works fantastically. Holds zero and the reticle is accurate and easy to use. I've got the 3x but if you want to shoot 500yrds easily i'd go with the 5x.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 11:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,365 Posts

The Vortex Razor ii HD 1-6 has the best eyebox of any lpvo. It's also one of the few that has a truly daylight bright dot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 01:19 AM
Deplorable

Thanked 4,920 Times in 1,201 Posts

I hear really good reviews on the sig saur romeo line. Cheaper than the high end stuff but the romeo 5 has a review of it working after getting blasted with a shot gun.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zuriss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,055 Times in 4,478 Posts

I just ordered an ATACR f1 1-8.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 02:24 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
I just ordered an ATACR f1 1-8.
I own one, and it is excellent at the top end. I'm less impressed with the eye box at 1x.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed70 View Post
I own one, and it is excellent at the top end. I'm less impressed with the eye box at 1x.
Interesting. It's not a Razor, but I had heard the eyebox wasn't bad at all. For reference, I found the Leupold MK6 to be on the edge of acceptable. Will see what I think when it arrives. Exit pupil at 1x is larger than MK6, I believe, so I have high hopes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Interesting. It's not a Razor, but I had heard the eyebox wasn't bad at all. For reference, I found the Leupold MK6 to be on the edge of acceptable. Will see what I think when it arrives. Exit pupil at 1x is larger than MK6, I believe, so I have high hopes.
It's not terrible. Just not even close to the Razor. Considering the only thing I have seen that is is the Kahles 1-6, I'm not sure the tech is there yet for higher than 1-6 scopes. Maybe SHOT will change that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 05:01 PM
Prepared

Maybe I'm too old school but I still like my carry handle irons. I learned room clearing back in the day when they taught you to look over the front sight post for cqc and they weren't yet putting red dots on everything so I've probably got antiquated ideas.

But I can still dial it up and hit that 500m target so my eyesight hasn't failed me yet! My time in Iraq was with the CCO. I see the obvious advantages of an optic but something about the idea of a simple drop causing zero shift or batteries just rubs me the wrong way for a rifle I'd have to truly depend on. Plus, I know my battle sight zero so I can pick up any AR with irons and get myself in the ballpark. There's an old army skill that's been lost to time.

I guess get whatever you like and make sure you have a damn good set of backup irons and you're good to go!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vodka Wizard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 06:41 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,348 Times in 11,462 Posts

I would go with the ACOG if you have the funds. I use a TA-01. no batteries required......
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 01:04 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka Wizard View Post
Maybe I'm too old school but I still like my carry handle irons. I learned room clearing back in the day when they taught you to look over the front sight post for cqc and they weren't yet putting red dots on everything so I've probably got antiquated ideas.

But I can still dial it up and hit that 500m target so my eyesight hasn't failed me yet! My time in Iraq was with the CCO. I see the obvious advantages of an optic but something about the idea of a simple drop causing zero shift or batteries just rubs me the wrong way for a rifle I'd have to truly depend on. Plus, I know my battle sight zero so I can pick up any AR with irons and get myself in the ballpark. There's an old army skill that's been lost to time.

I guess get whatever you like and make sure you have a damn good set of backup irons and you're good to go!
Today's optics are just as reliable as irons, if not moreso. Here ya go. Skip to 11:00
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 02:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,902 Times in 6,957 Posts

Quote:
Today's optics are just as reliable as irons, if not moreso.
Sure they are....until they aren’t.

And 9 mm is as good as .40 and .45, and plastic lasts forever, MIM is as good as milled steel, semi is just as reliable and simple as a revolver, and safeties are stupid.

Did I miss anything?

Just teasing....I like optics, but I’d say SOME of them are just as reliable, or they are OFTEN just as reliable, or even USUALLY just as reliable.

Gotta leave a bit of wiggle room.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:19 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Sure they are....until they aren’t.

And 9 mm is as good as .40 and .45, and plastic lasts forever, MIM is as good as milled steel, semi is just as reliable and simple as a revolver, and safeties are stupid.

Did I miss anything?

Just teasing....I like optics, but I’d say SOME of them are just as reliable, or they are OFTEN just as reliable, or even USUALLY just as reliable.

Gotta leave a bit of wiggle room.
I meant quality stuff, and thought it went without explaining
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,899 Times in 4,200 Posts

I just wish the weight of the variable optics would drop some (without losing reliability). Leupold makes some that come in around 10-12 oz, but adding even a Aero Precision Ultralight mount (3.5 oz) or a top quality QD mount like the Bobro (7.5 oz), you're adding almost an extra pound. As much as I love my Vortex Razor, the "HD" stands for "Heavy Damn" optic (over 20 oz)!

I've been trying to find the right optic for my POF Revolution in .308, and I think I'm going to go back to ACOG; the TA11. I would like something more than 3.5x, but I know that will still get me on silhouette out to 500 meters, yet still give me a very viable QCB optic if needed. Better yet, the whole package with integrated mount is only 14 oz.

Is there a lighter low power variable optic that will hold up like the ACOG (or even Leupold) and weighs under a pound with mount?

ROCK6
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 10:04 AM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,179 Posts

Depends. I like my EOTEC sometimes because of the eye relief needed for my night vision. I have two different AGOG's on a 5.56 and a 308 because they don't need batteries.

The take down Ruger has Trijicon 1-8 x 30 on it and THAT is one of the finest pieces of glass I've ever had!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 10:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,902 Times in 6,957 Posts

Quote:
I meant quality stuff, and thought it went without explaining
Have you been on this site long?

All good, man.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 11:40 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
I just wish the weight of the variable optics would drop some (without losing reliability). Leupold makes some that come in around 10-12 oz, but adding even a Aero Precision Ultralight mount (3.5 oz) or a top quality QD mount like the Bobro (7.5 oz), you're adding almost an extra pound. As much as I love my Vortex Razor, the "HD" stands for "Heavy Damn" optic (over 20 oz)!

I've been trying to find the right optic for my POF Revolution in .308, and I think I'm going to go back to ACOG; the TA11. I would like something more than 3.5x, but I know that will still get me on silhouette out to 500 meters, yet still give me a very viable QCB optic if needed. Better yet, the whole package with integrated mount is only 14 oz.

Is there a lighter low power variable optic that will hold up like the ACOG (or even Leupold) and weighs under a pound with mount?

ROCK6
I personally want better reliability than the ACOG has to offer. Sadly, 17oz seems to be the "floor" for LPVO's at present.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,899 Times in 4,200 Posts

Quote:
I personally want better reliability than the ACOG has to offer. Sadly, 17oz seems to be the "floor" for LPVO's at present.
I haven't had any issues with ACOG, but understand your point. I know Leupold has a few LPVO's below 16 oz (their VX-Freedom is 9.6 oz), of course most are not true 1X and lack some features many appreciate in LPVO's.

I just think the door is open for somebody to offer a sub 10oz LPVO that is robust, good glass, and preferred features. The technology is there, I just think companies are lazy to stick with the normal 20oz LPVO scopes. It's much easier to overbuild scopes and ignore the weight because everybody else ignores it.

The ACOG TA11 (horseshoe reticle) is my top choice right now...but I'm still searching and trying to see what kind of LPVO and mount options can keep weight under a pound...

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 12:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,293 Times in 2,452 Posts

Primary Arms 1x6 or 1x8 with ACCS reticle would be my first choice...in fact I use them myself!
The Following User Says Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 01:07 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 4,466 Times in 1,636 Posts

Went with a Vortex Strikeforce II it's 1x6x24.

Not too expensive and has a killer transferable warranty.