2019 Garden - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weedinhoe's 2018-2019 Garden Weedinhoe Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1308 Yesterday 07:26 AM
What is in your survival library? Nitromater Books, Movies & Stories 40 01-02-2019 10:00 PM
Replanted 2018 Spring Garden kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 05-01-2018 11:20 AM
Back to Eden Garden "Ish" bnorth12 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 29 12-14-2017 04:29 PM
Mountain Valley Canned Garden Seeds (16 Varieties) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-24-2017 09:45 AM

Old 01-27-2019, 08:17 PM
No One of Consequence

Thanked 3,269 Times in 1,133 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerChad View Post
Agreed. Bermuda loves to root into our clay soil like its nothing. Pulling it just creates a mess. Softer soil though, you can often get large pieces out of.
Normally, I wait until after a soaking rain or I've watered the garden, before pulling any weeds (or Bermuda grass). It greatly increases the chances that I will get the entire root.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 PM
No One of Consequence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
Bermuda grass is the bane of my existence. I am very slowly trying to kill off the backyard.
I like the Bermuda grass for the lawn parts of my yard because it's so tough. As long as I keep it watered during the summer, the yard looks beautiful. I just wish I could keep it out of my garden beds.

Quote:
Hopefully by the end of this summer I will have nothing in my backyard but raised beds and mulched walkways.
I have considered that as a long-term project for my own backyard. Probably not 100% raised beds, but a lot more than what I currently have.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:41 PM
No One of Consequence

No new pics of garden-related work today, but the crows were back and I did get one of them.

Sorry I cannot get a clearer photo of them, but I have to carefully peer through the window blinds just to get any pics at all. They are incredibly wary and will fly away the moment they sense there might be a danger.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019, 08:51 PM
No One of Consequence

I haven't done any more digging in the garden this week, it's been rather cold out and I've had VA-related appointments every single day. And tomorrow I have to drive back to Ft. Sill again for more Army retirement-related business.

I did catch a new photo this morning, I still can't believe how these two manage to show up to feed at the same time. I assume it's the same two as before.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:58 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,441 Times in 4,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettTheOkie View Post
I haven't done any more digging in the garden this week, it's been rather cold out and I've had VA-related appointments every single day. And tomorrow I have to drive back to Ft. Sill again for more Army retirement-related business.

I did catch a new photo this morning, I still can't believe how these two manage to show up to feed at the same time. I assume it's the same two as before.

Blah to the appointments. I swear dealing with doctors and bureaucrats is a full time job. I dunno how I managed when I was working ...

I can hardly wait for this weekend. There is a shooting match Sunday at Tri-City but I have SO MUCH I wanna get done in the backyard I may pass this one by and just work in the yard. Almost 70F weather in February is not unheard of but it is uncommon enough I kinda wanna take advantage of it ... make hay while the sun shines kinda thing!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 09:05 PM
No One of Consequence

Quote:
Almost 70F weather in February is not unheard of but it is uncommon enough I kinda wanna take advantage of it ... make hay while the sun shines kinda thing!
Yeah, I've seen our forecast for the next several days. No appointments on the weekends, so I am definitely planning to get some work done outside while it's nice.

We'll probably get an ice storm in a couple of weeks or so...
Old 02-02-2019, 05:21 PM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,515 Times in 1,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerChad View Post
Since you already have raised beds, have you considered a low-tunnel?

Just pound rebar into the ground along the sides, about every 4 foot. Then bend 10 foot pieces of PVC from one side to the other. Forming what looks like a mini-greenhouse. Cover with cheap plastic. In this case, plastic from the hardware store will suffice, because you arent using it year round. Use just about anything heavy to hold the plastic down.

By doing that, you have moved your garden 1 zone South.

Just something to ponder.
I’m considering a variant of this for a greenhouse application. Fodder for my blog
as well
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2019, 09:15 PM
No One of Consequence

Spent some time this afternoon planning my 2019 garden (finally). These are the seeds I have left over from last year that I will probably re-use again this year.

I will still need to order more of the Clemson Spineless Okra seed, there's not enough in the packet for the size plot I typically plant.

I also might not re-plant the Sugar Baby Bush watermelon this year, I am intrigued by a new variety that Baker Creek has called Beni Kodama. It's a new variety from Japan and produces small, personal-sized watermelons.

I also came up with a tentative layout for my 2019 garden:

I have three 4'x20' beds, which I've been gardening with since I purchased this house. But now that I am retired from the Army, I hope to build more raised beds this year.

I haven't decided what second variety of flint corn I will plant this year, in addition to the Bloody Butcher. I will probably go with Wade's Giant Flint again, I haven't grown that for a few years while I was experimenting with other varieties. None really did as well as I had hoped though.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 10:22 AM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,942 Posts

Does your local feed & seed have the Clemson Spineless okra? It's a pretty common okra that a lot of them carry. Biggest bang for your seed money! They might also have a good flint corn that does well in your area if what you're ordering isn't doing the trick.

And thank you for your service.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 01:31 PM
No One of Consequence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedinhoe View Post
Does your local feed & seed have the Clemson Spineless okra?
Oh, probably... Heck, even the Walmart seed display probably has it. However, I'll just order it from Baker Creek. I will be placing an order with them anyway, so I might as well get the okra seed at the same time. I don't mind giving them my money, they do a lot of good work in finding and making available again rare heirloom varieties. I am happy to support them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedinhoe View Post
And thank you for your service.
Thank you, it was my honor to have been able to serve.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:48 PM
No One of Consequence

This morning I finished digging the center garden bed, the one from which I dug up all the Bermuda grass last week. I also dug the south garden bed. That bed is in perpetual shadow this time of year due to being closest to the fence. And if the winter has been particularly cold, the soil there will freeze. However, that hasn't happened (yet), so I went ahead and dug it.

I plan to dig the north garden bed tomorrow, the weather is still supposed to be warm and pleasant.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 09:47 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Quote:
This morning I finished digging the center garden bed, the one from which I dug up all the Bermuda grass last week. I also dug the south garden bed. That bed is in perpetual shadow this time of year due to being closest to the fence. And if the winter has been particularly cold, the soil there will freeze. However, that hasn't happened (yet), so I went ahead and dug it.

I plan to dig the north garden bed tomorrow, the weather is still supposed to be warm and pleasant.

Where's Frick and Frack??
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 09:57 PM
No One of Consequence

Quote:
Where's Frick and Frack??

You got me on that one
The Following User Says Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 11:04 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Quote:

You got me on that one
Your pet crows!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 11:19 PM
No One of Consequence

Quote:
Your pet crows!!
Oh, right! Duh...

I didn't notice the crows coming by today. When I went out to work, one of the squirrels was out there eating. Of course, he was off like a shot the moment he noticed me coming.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:25 AM
Prepared

Our planting time comes late here in the Great White North. We wait until Memorial Day weekend to put anything in the ground for fear of a late frost and to let the ground warm up.

This year we’re going to try using landscaping fabric as a weed barrier. Friends used this technique last year to great success. There were no weeds at all. It was wonderful.

Likewise, we’re going to abandon our tomato towers and use sections of “cattle panel” to keep our tomatoes up. This should make harvesting much easier.

Finally, I’m going to place two 8’x2’x2’ galvanized stock tanks up near the house. I’ll convert these into raised beds for growing beets. Our beets have been depredated by voles year after year and I’m going to try to put a stop to it.

I’d like to upgrade my composting process. Currently we’ve just got a pile where we cook our chicken poop and vegetable waste.

We’ll continue to do battle with the Japanese beetles. I’m thinking a battery-operated vacuum cleaner.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kmussack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 09:40 AM
No One of Consequence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmussack View Post
Likewise, we’re going to abandon our tomato towers and use sections of “cattle panel” to keep our tomatoes up. This should make harvesting much easier.
I've considered doing this same thing, but for vining plants like cucumbers, beans, and cantaloupe. Maybe I'll give that a try this coming growing season.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:55 AM
No One of Consequence

Quote:
Your pet crows!!
Here you go, BB, they were back this morning.

I heard the crows cawing from inside and when I looked out there were two feeding. By the time I got my phone camera ready and back to the window, there was only one crow. And when I was about to take that pic, the squirrel ran up.

I've been wondering how they both seem to be there at the same time so often. I now think how it works is, the crows show up to eat and they also caw to let the other crows in the area know that it is safe to come and feed too. The squirrel, living somewhere nearby, also hears this and has learned what it means. So he comes running too, to take advantage of the situation. Seems plausible to me.

Sorry for the low quality of the pic, it is overcast and a little misty right now. Not the weather I was expecting, I'm planning to dig up that north garden bed this morning.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 22,683 Times in 6,480 Posts
Default CAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmussack View Post
Our planting time comes late here in the Great White North. We wait until Memorial Day weekend to put anything in the ground for fear of a late frost and to let the ground warm up.

This year we’re going to try using landscaping fabric as a weed barrier. Friends used this technique last year to great success. There were no weeds at all. It was wonderful.

Finally, I’m going to place two 8’x2’x2’ galvanized stock tanks up near the house. I’ll convert these into raised beds for growing beets. Our beets have been depredated by voles year after year and I’m going to try to put a stop to it.

I’d like to upgrade my composting process. Currently we’ve just got a pile where we cook our chicken poop and vegetable waste.

We’ll continue to do battle with the Japanese beetles. I’m thinking a battery-operated vacuum cleaner.
Jap beetle larva "white grub" begets moles, moles beget voles.........

Try Milky Spore to eliminate the grubs.....one application is all it takes, those little buggers <sic> keep on breeding.......

That and the owls, mouser cats and the chickens keep the few moles and voles at a bare minimum.

As always, ymmv of course..........
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 08:48 AM
No One of Consequence

The temp is 17F this morning, but the crows don't seem to mind.

No sign of the squirrel yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_072713a.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	283460