Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any POSITIVE reviews on the Century Arms RAS47? gregdavidson Military Weapons Forum 103 05-05-2018 06:54 PM
Phone Skope Universal Rifle Scope Adapter at SHOT Show 2018 Range Day AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-27-2018 02:00 PM
Marlin 25MN 22wmr Bolt Action Rifle w/4x32 Scope (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 01-09-2018 02:06 PM
Rifle Scope Bubble Level for sale!!! only $8.99 Mike Carson For Sale 0 04-13-2017 04:45 AM
Remington 770 243win Bolt-Action Rifle and Scope Combo (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-06-2016 11:26 AM

Old 01-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,950 Times in 6,971 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Suburbia View Post
Thanks to all for the replies.

I still like the 597, but Iím going to take a look at the Marlin model 60. Both with iron sightsóIíll add an optic later if I feel the need and once I have some more coin. Iíll end up with a better optic that way, too. On the fence about red dot vs traditional scope.

Iíll update with my choice once Iíve put it to good use and can comment with some experience!
I collect .22s...you can often find used Model 60ís, in my AO, for under $100, often with a scope on them. Iíve never had one that didnít work well, but they often take some serious cleaning. Iím talking 1970ís and Ď80ís made gunís that require no replacement springs, no new parts, and after cleaning, still group well and shoot reliably.

One nice thing about the older pre-85 guns...longer barrels, and longer tubes, so they hold more ammo.

I really like a scope...Iím not shooting multiple tangos or gangs of bad guys with my .22...Iím shooting one thing, usually a small thing, and I want to hit it, first shot. With the same amount of work it takes to become proficient and fast with a red dot, one can become fast and proficient with a scope for hunting, in my experience. And a ďqualityĒ 1 MOA red dot is probably going to cost more than a really decent scope. I have a $120 2-7x32 Vortec on one of my .22ís. And a very decent 3x Nikon on another rifle, about the same price. I donít know of a ďgood qualityĒ 1 MOA red dot at that price.

I also have 4 10/22ís. They arenít as good as the Marlins, out of the box. Sure, you can spend another $100 and make the already more expensive gun shoot well...but now you are almost $300 into the Ruger, which may, or may not, outshoot the $150 Marlin.

But the same guy that mentioned the 10/22 made a good point about the bolt guns. I have an XT 22 as he mentioned, and itís a good one. Able to handle shorts, very accurate, but....the mag feeder wonít do shorts from the mag, you need the tube feed gun for that, so donít get confused.

Just because....I have an old Mossberg with a 26Ē barrel that will hold 30 shorts in the tube. Mossberg made VERY good guns back in the day.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

I am probably the guy you are referring to that recommended the bolt actions. There were a couple of bolts that use a clip or detachable mag that will shoot short, longs and long rifle rounds.

One the the Remington model 580 IIRC, the same model the Remington chambered in 5mm and hs the five and 10 round plastic clips. And also the Marlin model 25. I had a model 25 and like a total idiot sold it. I had several extra mags for it. Seven rounders I think. And boy howdy would that gun group at 50 yards.

Now my go to 22 LR bolt is an older (1986) Ruger 77/22 that came with factory open sights. It took me a long time to find one with the sights. I have a cheap straight tube 4x Bushnell on it and it will shoot 10 shot groups at 50 yards into 5/8ths of an inch. And do it over and over again. And do it with cheap Federal Blue box bulk ammo from WM. I had read on the internet that these guns were not accurate. Don't believe it. They shoot like a thousand dollar target rifle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 04:21 AM
Prepared

I have a Marlin XT 22 magazine fed, I've found it will shoot and feed shorts fine out of several different magazines if I only load 3 plus one in chamber,if I load 4 in magazine it's hit and miss more miss then hit feeding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 01:12 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

The Marlin 25 and the Remington will both handle a full mag of shorts. They were designed that way.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:52 AM
Priorities. Col. 3:1-4

Talking Bought one

Well, after much research and searching, I ended up with a Savage Mark II F bolt gun. It was either going to be that or a Marlin XT22. I decided on a bolt against my initial leaning towards a semi because this is a hunting gun, so no follow-ups needed if I do my part. Also because I want to reliably feed shorts if desired. Also, I agree with the guy who said feeding with a bolt makes you think about your shot, vs a semi where it's tempting to get trigger happy.

Also, it was $130 at Wally World

It doesn't have the AccuTrigger, which is part of why it was so cheap, but I don't mind. I put a Simmons 4-12x40mm on it and just need to get it zeroed now. All in, I'm at $205 and have a much better scope than the $200 package deals. It's no Vortex, but it's also not sending a skull-shattering .300WM out to 500 yards.

I'm happy... So far. Squirrel hunt coming up before the end of February.
The Following User Says Thank You to Surviving Suburbia For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,691 Times in 2,018 Posts

I have several 22 rifles. I shoot mainly bolt action rifles. I do have a 597 in the barn for varmints. I usually shoot a savage 19 bull barrel which has had a lot of work done to it and is very accurate. I just read a book "hunting with a 22". The author advised a young lad to sell his 22 auto and purchase a bolt if he was serious about hunting. Good advise.
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,950 Times in 6,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Suburbia View Post
Well, after much research and searching, I ended up with a Savage Mark II F bolt gun.
Good move! I bought one used for $60. Stuck a $70 BSA Sweet 22 scope on it.

This is the first 20 rounds I sent down the tube, I was just seeing if it would group, and I adjusted a few clicks down and right in the process.

Then I zeroed it for real, and set up at 100 yards, dialed in the clicks so I could hold dead center. And hit....dead center. Subsonic ammo, you can see it didn't cut a nice clean hole.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 01:10 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience with it. I can't wait to get it zeroed and see how it groups!
Old 10-03-2019, 09:58 PM

Default FINALLY got to give this gun range time

Well, after a very long hiatus, I finally zeroed the scope on my Savage MkII. It's been a crazy year, but hunting season is coming up so I made time to get to a range.

First attachment is the target I used for zeroing.

The gun groups very well, IMO. My final group in the middle isn't the greatest group, but I'm far from a high-level shooter (and obviously getting to the range twice a year doesn't help that!). I think it was my fault, not the gun's.

While I'm posting range pics, 2nd attachment is my zeroing target for my deer rifle--it has a 3x prism on it. I zeroed at 100 yards and don't plan to shoot much further than that where I'll be hunting (and wouldn't want to go much further with only a .22 slug)..

I was pretty pleased. The black diamond in the middle is 1" wide, so I figure putting 3 out of 4 shots right there is decent when the scope has a 2.2 MOA dot. (I think one of the four shots actually strayed over into the other group...and one of the first 4 shots strayed into the middle...my fault, not the gun or scope).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22 target.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	292432   Click image for larger version

Name:	deer rifle target.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	292434