Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Champion Traps & Targets Folding Shooting Sticks 40578 Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 11-14-2017 04:38 PM
High value firearm possibly lost following SD shooting. WILL Firearms General Discussion 160 11-05-2017 01:13 AM
Review: Bipod Shooting Sticks AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 06-05-2017 01:30 PM
Review: Bog-Pod DSS Dead Silent Standing Model 72? Shooting Sticks AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-13-2017 03:30 PM

Old 12-10-2018, 11:44 PM
Prepared

Default Need shooting sticks or monopod. Help

Advertise Here

My dad is getting older and shakes too much. He can still hunt and can still go to his knee to shoot. He wants some kind of shooting support....either a bipod or monopod. We hunt elk in thick trees. Our shots are under 100 yards and the elk don't give you time to set up a shooting system. We have to make split second shots. I would like to find something that doubles as a walking stick and shooting stick. Hartshot makes something but it is $70 plus shipping. I like the idea of the Stoney Point Scissor stix on ebay and amazon but I can't find a single review of them anywhere. He needs something that he can carry while hiking and then deploy in a second.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018, 08:52 AM

North,

In muzzleloading/buffalo hunters always used crossed sticks. Pretty easy to make and can be used as walking stick. Need to decide if he wants to shoot kneeling or standing.

I tried to use one V-stick once and screwed up the shot. so, the pair of sticks tied together with leather is very steady. They are used in Africa by guides very often.

good luck

Dan
Old 12-11-2018, 12:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,603 Times in 1,224 Posts

I bought a monopod -- I think was made by Primos. It is telescoping and you can squeeze a lever and it drops down to the height you want, then release it and it locks at that height. Has a padded V at the top. Give it a look.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sneeky For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,820 Times in 6,936 Posts

I also have the Primos Trigger Stick, it's a good unit, pretty easy to use. I got mine for about $50 on sale.

Make sure you get the long one, they make a short one that won't work as a walking stick.

The crossed sticks are a good thing too, they make various versions at every price level, or you can make your own, which is, to me, a cool thing.

I have an aspen walking stick that I made one year at a scout thing...it has a bit of branch I left on one side that makes a perfect rest for a rifle.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:53 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,876 Times in 2,821 Posts

I purchased an ole camera tripod at a flea market, attached a saddle for my crossbow/870 slug gun. Lined the saddle with felt. Works great. I use to zero my scoops in and also to hunt.

The saddle is a piece of pvc, heated to shape of the forearm of the weapon. A thread tap for the tripod. I sprayed the tripod camo color.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 PM
Will hunt for food!

I have the bog pod bipod and they work great for walking sticks and to shoot from. Added benefit of being able to change the top from a y to bino holders to camera attachments.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:57 PM

I've got the Bog Pod too.

GF got me the 40-something inch ones. I have to kneel with them.

Make sure you get something long enough to use while standing.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:38 PM

I've had a set of BIPOD SHOOTING STICKS for about 12-14 years. I'm still very pleased with them. My daughter shot 2 deer off of them this year. I'll be carrying them Saturday morning for some coyote hunting. I also have a monopod, but rarely use it.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:18 AM
Wind

Thanked 1,744 Times in 774 Posts

I made a set of shooting sticks out of 1/2" fiberglass rods. I used 1/2" radiator hose to fit them together. I lashed the hose with para cord for ease of setup & lock up. I drilled holes in the bottom an epoxied deck screws for bite. I also epoxied 1" of the 1/2" hose to the very end to stop the slap noise they made when walking. I like the strength of the fiberglass. I'm able to use them as a walking stick , snake stick, brush beater and they would be a good whoopn stick if ever needed. I have also bought sticks which were flimsy if used for anything other than a shooting stick. It sounds like he needs a sturdy set of sticks to aid him in his hunting trips.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:35 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,572 Times in 20,399 Posts

How about adapting a boat hook?
I used mine as a hiking stick many times.

https://www.amazon.com/Eversprout-Te...JW5928CCND3J14

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...05_158_003_009

or make one from a shepherd's hook (tractor supply)
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...eep-hook-60-in
I use one as a walking hiking stick and they are fantastic.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:08 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,347 Times in 11,462 Posts

Ive got a modified camera tripod (QD mounted on a rail ) as well as a atlas V8, the same site sells accue shot mono pods 99.50$ is the most expensive, and they are well made. they make a QD adapter the mates by i 1/4 /zo stud.. thats the one i uses on my tripod, got the 56/L/LD on my atlas as an adapter. all are good solid mount, bipods and mono pods from this company

www.accushot.com
Old 02-09-2019, 08:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,072 Times in 526 Posts

Older thread but I use a piece of 3/4 pvc pipe as a shooting stick, it's about 5ft long I camouflaged it with spray paint and tied some rope to the ends to act as a sling.

I shoot right handed so the right hand holds the rife/pistol and the left hand holding the stick is what the forearm rest against.
I have a thing about spiderwebs so when walking the woods I will shoulder my rifle and walk with the pipe using it to clear the webs