Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Home Security System - Mini Window Alert Jonaz15 DIY - Do It Yourself 18 11-18-2018 11:34 PM
STRAITS RED chapters 14-17 NW GUY Books, Movies & Stories 1 04-28-2018 07:23 AM
Hope I can help US Preparatory New Member Introduction 21 11-23-2017 03:31 PM
AimCam Sight Video Capture System is Here gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 03-14-2017 12:31 PM
Home security system with drone surveillance Nerf General Discussion 4 11-05-2016 09:33 AM

Old 11-28-2018, 05:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,186 Times in 4,918 Posts

Advertise Here

I have multiple security “systems”.
The first and main one is through Comcast.
Door and window sensors, remote alerts, remote access.

I also have a closed circuit system with a monitor in my bedroom and access from my cellphone.

Motion sensors on both porches, the basement and the garage.
I’m thinking about adding an Arlo to the garage.

All this combined with some additional hardening inside gives me plenty of time to hear and prepare for an intruder.
And no vet bills, no noise, no smells, no walks at 2am...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 07:43 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,005 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
Seems to me that many dog owners have this unrealistic view that their dog is somehow a supernatural being not capable of being harmed by an armed and hardened criminal.

If a criminal or more than one criminal breaks into your home bent on taking your stuff and they are willing to kill you to do so they sure in the hell wouldn’t have a problem dispatching the barking dog behind that door.
That’s not the case really, a dog is loud. A dog brings attention, a dog bites, a dog is a deterrent for most potential thieves. The people who would break into my house would likely break into my neighbors too. A dog is one more thing to make a bad guy move on.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Drill That Oil For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 10:24 PM
Survivor

For anyone opened minded about the real value of their dog as a protector of the home:
https://www.peakprosperity.com/discu...sense-security
Watch the video.

My neighbors have three large dogs.
They are loud and obnoxious when out in the yard.
However I can walk right up to the fence with some dog treats and they will immediately sit down and wag their tails like some drug addict waiting for their next fix.
This was the response the very first time I met the dogs.
The owner wasn’t pleased.

I have the keys to my buddies shop that is below the main floor.
I can open the door and the dogs upstairs will bark, as soon as I yell “quiet” they stop barking.

I know some of you just hate to hear it, who refuse to accept it, but your dog isn’t stopping a criminal who breaks in with a gun in their hand.
If this happens when you aren’t home you’ll come home to an emptied out home.

Is this every dog?
Nope, I know some are trained differently and some are more naturally agressive and protective.
But even the agressive/protective ones are not poison or bullet proof.
Sorry, but that’s just a fact.

If you like dogs and want to have one for the companionship or because you like their smell then that’s great, but claiming that they are your home protectors is just silly in almost every case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2018, 10:40 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,495 Times in 5,574 Posts

My smallest dog weighs 175# so there's that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 11:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,321 Times in 5,948 Posts

Israel is right dogs are not bullet proof or poison proof but they are expendable easily replaced Cannon fodder if and when needed. JMHO and S/FI!
The Following User Says Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 11:56 PM
living in the desert

I believe in dogs. I have 2 trained Labs. It takes time and effort to train them.

I also have a security system. Cameras with movement alarms that go to our phones and entry alarms.

My dogs are active security. Not reactive and passive like the security system.

If I could only have one. I'd choose dogs.
If you can't stand dogs..fine....do your own thing.

I'm just going to say this....

I've never heard a LEO tell a bad guy to come out/stop/etc or I'm sending in the security cam.....
Now..sending in the K9 can bring about a whole different reaction.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 3Jfamily For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 12:07 AM
living in the desert

Quote:

I know some of you just hate to hear it, who refuse to accept it, but your dog isn’t stopping a criminal who breaks in with a gun in their hand.
If this happens when you aren’t home you’ll come home to an emptied out home.

Is this every dog?
Nope, I know some are trained differently and some are more naturally agressive and protective.
But even the agressive/protective ones are not poison or bullet proof.
Sorry, but that’s just a fact.
If a criminal breaks in with a gun and no one is home?

Well then he deals with 2 dogs. Shoot them..OK...You presume the bad guy is an excellent shot at multiple moving targets and is ..what..only going to have to use 2 rounds?

Well...shots fired does usually bring police to the scene so a hasty retreat is what the bad guy will usually do. Thus resulting in NOT getting cleaned out in the short time available to him.

Poison?..haven't seen too many bad guys just carrying around poison for dogs..more than likely, an unlikely scenario. Unless the bad guy already knows what you have inside your home and premeditates the crime.

YMMV of course
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 3Jfamily For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 05:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,401 Times in 1,367 Posts

Spoke to a Baltimore Policeman once, while he couldn't endorse a security system, he did say homeowners with medium to large dogs saw the least amount of break-ins. Security systems do NOTHING to advert break-ins knowing the average response time is 12-25 minutes for LEO to arrive. Plenty of time to take some hooch.

What that same LEO adviced, if you see unfamiliar kids/folks playing with your dog through the fence that is an early warning sign that those kids/folks are conditioning your dogs to be friendly to them. Either to steal your pets for training pit-Bulls or planning a future break-in. There was no grey area.

This is the world we live in.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JLW1974 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 07:51 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Jfamily View Post
I believe in dogs. I have 2 trained Labs. It takes time and effort to train them.

I also have a security system. Cameras with movement alarms that go to our phones and entry alarms.

My dogs are active security. Not reactive and passive like the security system.

If I could only have one. I'd choose dogs.
If you can't stand dogs..fine....do your own thing.

I'm just going to say this....

I've never heard a LEO tell a bad guy to come out/stop/etc or I'm sending in the security cam.....
Now..sending in the K9 can bring about a whole different reaction.
The only thing your labs have in common with a highly trained police dog is the smell, you are only fooling yourself and are creating a false sense of safety and security in doing so.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:53 AM
Survivor

Quote:
If a criminal breaks in with a gun and no one is home?

Well then he deals with 2 dogs. Shoot them..OK...You presume the bad guy is an excellent shot at multiple moving targets and is ..what..only going to have to use 2 rounds?

Well...shots fired does usually bring police to the scene so a hasty retreat is what the bad guy will usually do. Thus resulting in NOT getting cleaned out in the short time available to him.

Poison?..haven't seen too many bad guys just carrying around poison for dogs..more than likely, an unlikely scenario. Unless the bad guy already knows what you have inside your home and premeditates the crime.

YMMV of course
I was replying to the poster who said she lived far outside town.

Some people here have a very narrow view of who a criminal bent on stealing from you could be.
Keep that view, it’s wrong but it’s fine.
I’ll keep an open mind about who could be a possible threat to my home.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:39 AM
Just a Dumb Frog

Never said my dogs protect my home
They let me know when something or someone is in the yard
They are an early warning system
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SkyKid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 09:06 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Not just dogs, but trained dogs... they are priceless. Regular dogs make a lot of noise. A trained dog can be trained to alert in silence, giving you the upper hand. If you can afford it, both together is best because dogs can't be everywhere all the time. If I had to choose one over the other, it would depend where I was at. Rural, large acreage... dogs for sure. Inner city or in the burbs... proper security system could do the job. Just don't expect some security company to get the law there in time to save you.. depend on yourself.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:18 AM
living in the desert

Quote:
The only thing your labs have in common with a highly trained police dog is the smell, you are only fooling yourself and are creating a false sense of safety and security in doing so.
Glad to know you know all about my dogs.
It's obvious you despise animals so just use your security measures.
Do not presume you know everything and make statements to that effect.
It really does nothing for your position.

I would then presume you also have the knowledge that I come from a military LEO K9 family who has trained multiple dogs since 1980....

I never said they will protect my home once a bad guy is inside.
Major valuables, guns, important papers are secured. That's the main things I care about. TV's and such are expendable.
Again. They are a ACTIVE deterrent with an aggressive bark that may cause a bad guy to try an easier target.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 3Jfamily For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 09:30 AM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,210 Posts

I have both, and each are layered.

Ring doorbell, 4 stationary cameras and 2 nice PTZ all are hardwired (yes some is exposed) but loss of signal is also an alarm setting to phone and console if wires are cut. Cameras goto DVR and control station, and can be viewed from any TV in the house as well and my phones.

Settings are important false alarms from birds, squirrels, pets can be tiresome. I have an athome setting, an away setting, and off.... for the motion detectors and such. For now it is dialed down. My system is old and cloud free, other than ring. I want to upgrade, but most systems wont give me the versatility I have now without a monthly subscription and outside monitors (not gonna happen)

Dogs, the snot line 4foot up on the main windows cleaned regularly, the front door has a small window (not good security I know) One of the dogs likes to spring up and bark and see who it is. Its funny to see all the knockers jump back when it happens (ring doorbell) They are two steps down below door so when it happens all they see is are snapping teeth above and in their face so I left it.

Training for dogs is important and is situationally dependent on what you want. This in and ofitself has many topics here so not going to go on other than be the alpha.

I will close with saying you cant eat your cameras
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,326 Times in 3,542 Posts

Quote:
If youíre not home and you are that far away from civilization a dog isnít going to keep a serious crook from robbing you.
A hardened criminal will have no qualms in shooting your dog.

If you have internet you can be alerted that your system is going off.
If you have cameras that save to the cloud and some crook kills your dogs while youíre not home at least there would be the possibility of getting a look at the crooks.

we don't even have locks on the doors ( former Amish farm, they don't lock anything) . We are hoping that our house doesn't look like there is something worth stealing, which, there really isn't unless they somehow manage to saw up our floor and steal the gun safe ( any thoughts on how to make that less possible?) but other than that, they would only get a few older computers. We haven't had anything stolen here at all. I think we are too remote for any career criminal to try to steal anything. Amish teenagers generally don't either, and if in the future some crazy crackhead drives all the way up our steep dirt road, on one of the random few hours during a random day nobody is home and breaks in, I doubt they will have the tools or know how to cut up the floor to get the safe out. Our house is just not a target for real thieves and there is nothing here for the druggie teenagers to run in and grab, and we are too far away to get too. Much easier for them to do this in a city

But, I am very open to suggestions on how to better secure our gun safe. In FLorida we had concrete floor, so unless they brought major tools and equipment and managed to cut open the safe, it was impossible to steal. Here, we have wood floor and crawl space. But really nobody knows we have a safe. Plus only an idiot walks into a rural farmhouse with dogs uninvited and unannounced , never knowing if someone is home or not ( and would shoot first and ask questions later. There is always at least 1 vehicle here, so nobody would know . I haven't heard of a single home invasion in the entire county or the next one.

An alarm system would be useless. Who is going to come and stop them? By the time anyone showed up, the thieves would be long gone.

We had one for a while in Florida btw. It cost a lot of money and there were a lot of false alarms, and it didn't stop thieves from breaking into my truck or stealing our kids bikes out of the backyard.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Glad to know you know all about my dogs.
It's obvious you despise animals so just use your security measures.
Do not presume you know everything and make statements to that effect.
It really does nothing for your position.

I would then presume you also have the knowledge that I come from a military LEO K9 family who has trained multiple dogs since 1980....

I never said they will protect my home once a bad guy is inside.
Major valuables, guns, important papers are secured. That's the main things I care about. TV's and such are expendable.
Again. They are a ACTIVE deterrent with an aggressive bark that may cause a bad guy to try an easier target.
Once again, I donít like dog owners due to their unrealistic views on their dogs.
You presume just as much as I do.
Forums such as this are intended to be used to share opinions and ideas.

Dogs are not special in the animal world, itís humans that put them in an elevated position.
I see way too many lost dog posts to fall for the claim that dogs are somehow super smart.

Typing something in caps doesnít make you correct, many security systems are just as active as you dog.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:18 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Can't you keep your canine hate in one thread? The fact is, both security systems and dogs, are just deterrents. Dogs will keep some burglars away. Security will keep some others away... then there are the ones that will kill your dogs and steal your cameras just to spite you.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:35 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,360 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Once again, I don’t like dog owners due to their unrealistic views on their dogs.
You presume just as much as I do.
Forums such as this are intended to be used to share opinions and ideas.

Dogs are not special in the animal world, it’s humans that put them in an elevated position.
I see way too many lost dog posts to fall for the claim that dogs are somehow super smart.
I do have a system, floods, yada, yada.

Security systems are passive, my 125 pound Akita house dog is active. Along with aggressive, dominant and protective.

Did i mention bred to hunt and kill bear?

You'd have to be a complete and total IDIOT to pick a house with this kind of dog in it since there are easier targets to pick from where you won't get mauled and bleed out before the report takers show up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xstuntman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
I do have a system, floods, yada, yada.

Security systems are passive, my 125 pound Akita house dog is active. Along with aggressive, dominant and protective.

Did i mention bred to hunt and kill bear?

You'd have to be a complete and total IDIOT to pick a house with this kind of dog in it since there are easier targets to pick from where you won't get mauled and bleed out before the report takers show up.
Hereís the real truth, if someone wants into your home because of what you have inside your dog will not stop them.

Your dog is not bulletproof, it canít call the police, it canít shoot back...

Your dog is no better a deterrent than a good security system and is actually worse than a well fortified residence with security.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:06 PM
Prepared

Talking Systems are Sessile; Canines are Mobile Ö

On the alternate paw, the system (and home) were destroyed in the CA wildfire while the dog survived and was still guarding the property when the homeowner was allowed back: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-weeks-n945721.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RW_in_DC For This Useful Post: